Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 502 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #15031 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Amazon would seem the next logical addition. Both of my requests (Vudu and Pandora) have been granted, so anything else is just gravy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Amazon would seem the next logical addition. Both of my requests (Vudu and Pandora) have been granted, so anything else is just gravy.

I believe the ORB stuff discussed earlier supports Amazon into the OPPO players -- as an interim solution of course.

I've not actually tested that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15033 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Yup, quite convoluted with the additional computer requirement, though (I prefer standalone). Also, Orb's own dedicated Oppo page is no longer available: http://www.orb.com/oppo
post #15034 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Also, Orb's own dedicated Oppo page is no longer available: http://www.orb.com/oppo

It is when I checked just now.

Oppo Beta Group
post #15035 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just received my OPPO BDP-93 a few days ago and installed the Imeg region-free super kit (internal install) yesterday. The $55.99 kit from the ImegStore website.

While I agree it turned out very easy to install internally, I do want to mention a couple of things that gave me pause during the installation procedure and might do the same to others. One is that the Installation Instructions in the online Operational Manual on the Imeg site shows a pic of the screws to remove from the back of the unit, but doesn't really mention removing the screws on the sides. I know, I know. But it's kind of daunting to be opening the casing of a $500 dream product you just received in order to perform a first-time ever unlicensed surgery on it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wanted to follow those instructions to the letter, not just to the syllable.

There was actually a moment when I found myself ever so slightly tugging at the lid of the player, fully aware that there were still screws on the side that hadn't been removed, but thinking there must be a reason Imeg didn't specifically picture or mention them for removal before I decided to go off the page and unscrew those, too.

The other thing is that Imeg's instructions don't mention how firmly to press down on the 4-prong connector in order to make a solid connection. There was no *click* connection to it as far as I could tell and I had to re-open the case lid again after reassembling and giving it a try because I hadn't pushed it down far enough. It does take a bit of a firm thumbnail press to make sure it's fully connected and won't jiggle loose afterwards, imo.

Otherwise, take it from a total novice on opening and tinkering with electronic gadgets that the install for this kit was easy despite what I feel could be a tad more explicit instruction procedure on the Imeg site for the sake of total novices like me.

http://www.imegstore.com/download/BD...anual_V1.4.pdf

It works great. Tried it on several non-region 1 dvds and it does exactly as advertised. I don't have any non region A (or non region-free) blu-rays to test and might never come across one, but I'm sure from the testimonials here it works beautifully for those as well.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone here who has installed this kit internally on a BDP-93. Did you cut off the USB cable before installing it internally? The Imeg instructions don't say to do that for the BDP-93, although they do say to do that for the BDP-95 install and the pic of the BDP-93 install does show the USB cable missing, indicating that it had been cut off. Although that could simply have been because they used the same kit sample for that pic that they used for the BDP-95 pic.

I just curled up that short USB cable, sort of tied it in a loose knot and slipped it into a spot where it isn't likely to jiggle loose and touch anything. But is there any reason I ought to go back into the case and cut off that USB cable to be sure? I didn't want to render it useless as an external kit if for some reason it stopped working internally.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
post #15036 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

I just received my OPPO BDP-93 a few days ago and installed the Imeg region-free super kit (internal install) yesterday. The $55.99 kit from the ImegStore website.

While I agree it turned out very easy to install internally, I do want to mention a couple of things that gave me pause during the installation procedure and might do the same to others. One is that the Installation Instructions in the online Operational Manual on the Imeg site shows a pic of the screws to remove from the back of the unit, but doesn't really mention removing the screws on the sides. I know, I know. But it's kind of daunting to be opening the casing of a $500 dream product you just received in order to perform a first-time ever unlicensed surgery on it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wanted to follow those instructions to the letter, not just to the syllable.

There was actually a moment when I found myself ever so slightly tugging at the lid of the player, fully aware that there were still screws on the side that hadn't been removed, but thinking there must be a reason Imeg didn't specifically picture or mention them for removal before I decided to go off the page and unscrew those, too.

The other thing is that Imeg's instructions don't mention how firmly to press down on the 4-prong connector in order to make a solid connection. There was no *click* connection to it as far as I could tell and I had to re-open the case lid again after reassembling and giving it a try because I hadn't pushed it down far enough. It does take a bit of a firm thumbnail press to make sure it's fully connected and won't jiggle loose afterwards, imo.

Otherwise, take it from a total novice on opening and tinkering with electronic gadgets that the install for this kit was easy despite what I feel could be a tad more explicit instruction procedure on the Imeg site for the sake of total novices like me.

http://www.imegstore.com/download/BD...anual_V1.4.pdf

It works great. Tried it on several non-region 1 dvds and it does exactly as advertised. I don't have any non region A (or non region-free) blu-rays to test and might never come across one, but I'm sure from the testimonials here it works beautifully for those as well.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone here who has installed this kit internally on a BDP-93. Did you cut off the USB cable before installing it internally? The Imeg instructions don't say to do that for the BDP-93, although they do say to do that for the BDP-95 install and the pic of the BDP-93 install does show the USB cable missing, indicating that it had been cut off. Although that could simply have been because they used the same kit sample for that pic that they used for the BDP-95 pic.

I just curled up that short USB cable, sort of tied it in a loose knot and slipped it into a spot where it isn't likely to jiggle loose and touch anything. But is there any reason I ought to go back into the case and cut off that USB cable to be sure? I didn't want to render it useless as an external kit if for some reason it stopped working internally.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

You do not need to cut off the USB cable for the 93 install of the IMEG kit, if you want to preserve the kit's external install functionality. However, to prevent the cable from hitting anything inside the case (especially during moving the unit), it would be better to tape it to the side of the case (any kind of tape would do).

One other thing if you are not already aware of. While the kit is not affected by official firmware updates, IMEG advises not to install Oppo's beta releases (as a rule I don't install beta firmware releases anyway).
post #15037 of 27091 Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

It is when I checked just now.

Still not seeing it when I load even now:

Quote:

The page you are looking for cannot be found. You will be redirected to www.orb.com in 10 seconds.

post #15038 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

I have installed the Pro modification by bluraychip.dk and I think it's better than the simpler solutions:

- usability: Just press 1, 2 or 3 in standby. The player then powers up and sets the BD region accordingly. No need to hassle with remote code combinations, timings and reboots.

- Doesn't block any connectors since the PRO mod adds an internal USB device with an 128 MB MicroSD card where the firmware is stored. This firmware is upgradable.

Personally I think the PRO mod is worth the extra $$$.
post #15039 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 AM

Does this player play MKV files with TrueHD7.1., and DTS-HD.MA.5.1.audio?
My oppo 83 does not play them.
post #15040 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordan123456 View Post

Does this player play MKV files with TrueHD7.1., and DTS-HD.MA.5.1.audio?
My oppo 83 does not play them.

No. People report DTS core from DTS-HD but I don't know if that is reliable.

I saw your post in the -83 thread: I don't recall that working on the -83 either.

HD audio does work in m2ts and ISO files on the -93.

-Bill
post #15041 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

I have installed the Pro modification by bluraychip.dk and I think it's better than the simpler solutions:

- usability: Just press 1, 2 or 3 in standby. The player then powers up and sets the BD region accordingly. No need to hassle with remote code combinations, timings and reboots.

- Doesn't block any connectors since the PRO mod adds an internal USB device with an 128 MB MicroSD card where the firmware is stored. This firmware is upgradable.

Personally I think the PRO mod is worth the extra $$$.

The standard mod by bluraychip.dk does not block any connectors either, since it is installed internally. It takes just 5 minutes to install it in a Oppo 93.

I have an EU player and bought the mod only for Criterion Blu-rays. I noticed that a lot of my (mostly UK-sourced) Blu-rays are actually playable in Region A too, so I rarely need to switch the region setting of the Oppo.
post #15042 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still not seeing it when I load even now:

At the time I checked it last evening it was there, now it is as you say not found. www.orb.com/oppo

Oppo Beta Group
post #15043 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM

For all projector owners looking for a small screen to use when you don't want to fire up the PJ: Last weekend I found on Amazon a company called "Lilliput", which makes small HDMI-capable monitors, aimed at photographers and videographers for use in the field.

These kinds of devices that I had seen are typically a lot more expensive, but I stumbled across them from this company and decided to give it a try. So mine arrived yesterday, and while I only had very little time to hook it up, it worked great, and the picture quality is quite good. While it doesn't have full 1080 resolution, it does accept it (currently I'm only using 720p though).

I spent less than $200 for the model with HDMI and BNC YPbPr, so I don't have to use the second HDMI from the Oppo, but had no chance to try the component input yet. But I think more Oppo owners might be interested .

-Christian
post #15044 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

At the time I checked it last evening it was there, now it is as you say not found. www.orb.com/oppo

Your browser needs to support proper redirecting. The URL will eventually link to http://www.orb.com/en/oppo based on the language preferences your browser is set to.
post #15045 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Your browser needs to support proper redirecting. The URL will eventually link to http://www.orb.com/en/oppo based on the language preferences your browser is set to.

Its working now, and yes I see the slight change of their URL.

Oppo Beta Group
post #15046 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Neuromancer

any possible news on a new firmware update? sometime this month or so?
thanks.
Jacob
post #15047 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

Neuromancer

thanks.
Jacob

I'm happy if the firmware updates slow down a little now. Rather than new features being added, I'd prefer to see refinements/fixes for outstanding issues, particularly HD audio streams in MKV files, FLAC and Vorbis audio in MKV files (seems like this has fallen off the radar for most), a fix for the 720p scaling bug, and the ability to adjust the size and font of SRT subtitles.
Sort those issues and I'll never complain again:-)
post #15048 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eversharp View Post

One other thing if you are not already aware of. While the kit is not affected by official firmware updates, IMEG advises not to install Oppo's beta releases (as a rule I don't install beta firmware releases anyway).

Thanks for the response, eversharp. Now, by "beta firmware releases", do you mean the very early firmware updates? My unit was manufactured in July 2011 and I did the latest OPPO update right before installing the Imeg kit via the ethernet connection. I assume that wasn't a "beta firmware release" update, but how would I know if it was or not and how would I avoid one if the player automatically searches for the firmware update and installs it?
post #15049 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

Not this month, no. OPPO is always working on new firmware developments, but there is no new firmware slated.
post #15050 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 02:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Thanks for the response, eversharp. Now, by "beta firmware releases", do you mean the very early firmware updates? My unit was manufactured in July 2011 and I did the latest OPPO update right before installing the Imeg kit via the ethernet connection. I assume that wasn't a "beta firmware release" update, but how would I know if it was or not and how would I avoid one if the player automatically searches for the firmware update and installs it?

You have to explicitly install beta firmware via USB or disc. It doesn't happen automatically over the network.

Beta firmware has "B" at the end of the firmware name, which you can see in Setup/Device, eg: 57-0917B.

-Bill
post #15051 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:

Oppo frequently makes new firmware available to early adopters as "Public Beta" firmware releases. Once Oppo feels it is ready, new firmware is put out as an "official" release. New units only ship with "official" firmware.

At the moment, the official firmware is the 0917 firmware and there is no Public Beta version.

Firmware releases of either type are clearly marked as such on Oppo's Support web page for each player.

You can also see the firmware history for the 93 and the 95 in the first post of this thread.

You can compare the version numbers for the 3 parts of the firmware you currently have in your player against the official versions to confirm that you are up to date for all 3 parts (Main, Loader, and Sub/MCU). Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15052 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
So, has anyone gotten a hold of the exclusive Panasonic Avatar 3D disc from buying a Panny player? If so, has the disc played ok in the Oppo? Also, has anyone ripped it to an Iso and played it via attached hard drive?
post #15053 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Plays fine when using the original BD and after making an ISO backup.
post #15054 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM

I just got my 93 today and was EXCITED until I connected everything and hit 'watch a movie' on my harmony remote. NO SIGNAL and SEARCHING FOR SIGNAL was all I see on my TV. The HDMI and MONITOR lights on my AVR kept flickering on and off but no input signal on the AVR. I connected HDMI 1 directly to the TV and swapped cables and inputs with the same result. I finally just switched to HDMI 2 and it's working just fine. I don't have a 3-D TV but it would be great to use HDMI 1 as it has the superior processing. I set the 'primary' output to HDMI 1 in the setup menu after I got a picture via HDMI 2. Am I missing anything else before I send it back???
post #15055 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am planning to purchase this player next week and have a question on the DVD-A portion. Does the player handle this thru HDMI or the 5.1 analog connections? Sorry, just cant seem to find this info anywhere.
post #15056 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

I just got my 93 today and was EXCITED until I connected everything and hit 'watch a movie' on my harmony remote. NO SIGNAL and SEARCHING FOR SIGNAL was all I see on my TV. The HDMI and MONITOR lights on my AVR kept flickering on and off but no input signal on the AVR. I connected HDMI 1 directly to the TV and swapped cables and inputs with the same result. I finally just switched to HDMI 2 and it's working just fine. I don't have a 3-D TV but it would be great to use HDMI 1 as it has the superior processing. I set the 'primary' output to HDMI 1 in the setup menu after I got a picture via HDMI 2. Am I missing anything else before I send it back???

Try changing the output resolution of the player to something like 720p and see if the same issues occur.

Under Video Setup set the Output Resolution to 720p, TV System to NTSC, Primary Output to HDMI 1, and 24Hz Output to OFF.

Under Video Setup->HDMI Options set Deep Color to OFF.

Exit Setup.

Remove the HDMI cable from HDMI 2 and connect it to HDMI 1. Do you get any picture?

Can you try the player on another television?
post #15057 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

I am planning to purchase this player next week and have a question on the DVD-A portion. Does the player handle this thru HDMI or the 5.1 analog connections?

Both connections are viable for DVD-Audio playback.
post #15058 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Try changing the output resolution of the player to something like 720p and see if the same issues occur.

Under Video Setup set the Output Resolution to 720p, TV System to NTSC, Primary Output to HDMI 1, and 24Hz Output to OFF.

Under Video Setup->HDMI Options set Deep Color to OFF.

Exit Setup.

Remove the HDMI cable from HDMI 2 and connect it to HDMI 1. Do you get any picture?

Can you try the player on another television?

Thanks Neuromancer. While trying your suggestions I jiggled the HDMI cable going into the 93 and saw a quick flash of the Oppo screensaver. I knew exactly what it was then. One of the pins on the HDMI receptacle was slightly bent, no doubt during my first attempt at connection. I gently bent it back into place and all works well now. Thanks again. I really wanted to enjoy playing with my new toy tonight without the thought of having to send it back for repair later.
post #15059 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Both connections are viable for DVD-Audio playback.

Now that is sweet....I can retire both my Pana players AND 5 cables as well.
post #15060 of 27091 Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post

I have an EU player and bought the mod only for Criterion Blu-rays. I noticed that a lot of my (mostly UK-sourced) Blu-rays are actually playable in Region A too, so I rarely need to switch the region setting of the Oppo.

Many recent Blu-ray releases abroad of catalogue titles by major studios are region-free, even though Amazon sites in Europe (UK, France, Germany, etc.)frequently provide incorrect regional listings for such releases. A far more reliable source for Blu-ray releases is blu-ray.com.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page