post #15121 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

My guess is the difference is marketing. Netflix likely made a deal with Sony for the PS3. In addition Roku has an historical connection to Netflix.
--Bob

My WD-LIVE + also have the new interface (DD+ 5.1) and I know other devices also have it.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15122 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Actually, I'm not all that concerned with the subtitle or massive episode list support. The latter only affects a select few series, and subtitles I would rarely use. 5.1 would certainly be a big plus though... but above all would be improvements to performance of the interface. It really takes forever for box art to load, compared to even the Roku (Roku is using a wireless N interface, and the Oppo is directly cabled with ethernet... it's not the network causing the problem). Moving inbetween items is extremely choppy as well compared to Roku, PS3 or Xbox. I would expect the performance to be far superior on the PS3 and Xbox, considering how much more powerful they are. But vs the Roku (and the Samsung Netflix client on my sister's blu-ray player), I'd expect the Oppo to be able to hold its own much better than it does.

Course, an Amazon client is what I'm really hoping for at this point
post #15123 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

My WD-LIVE + also have the new interface (DD+ 5.1) and I know other devices also have it.

The latest Panasonic players also have DD+ but not the 1080p encodes.
post #15124 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
Read this on another respectable forum. Do you think our Oppo will be capable of 7.1?

Today, Vudu announced the availability of 7.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus audio on its site.

The 7.1 signal can be received through Vudu-equipped devices such as Blu-ray Disc players, TVs, etc., connected through HDMI to receivers that have Dolby Digital Plus capability. I asked both companies whether the 7.1 service would be compatible with all Vudu-compatible devices or only certain models, and if the latter were the case which models would be compatible. Vudu's official statement was, Dolby 7.1 surround-sound titles will work with select Vudu-capable Blu-ray players from Sony, Samsung, Vizio, LG and many more. Dolby went a little further: Vudu is making 7.1-channel content available to all its clients on Blu-ray players. Blu-ray players that support Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 should be able to take advantage of this feature. We expect more devices to support this feature over time.

The first title to be streamed in 7.1 is Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Vudu hasn't yet announced other titles to be streamed in 7.1, but there should be more to come now that theatrical titles are being mixed for 7.1.
post #15125 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Read this on another respectable forum. Do you think our Oppo will be capable of 7.1?

Today, Vudu announced the availability of 7.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus audio on its site.

The 7.1 signal can be received through Vudu-equipped devices such as Blu-ray Disc players, TVs, etc., connected through HDMI to receivers that have Dolby Digital Plus capability. I asked both companies whether the 7.1 service would be compatible with all Vudu-compatible devices or only certain models, and if the latter were the case which models would be compatible. Vudu's official statement was, Dolby 7.1 surround-sound titles will work with select Vudu-capable Blu-ray players from Sony, Samsung, Vizio, LG and many more. Dolby went a little further: Vudu is making 7.1-channel content available to all its clients on Blu-ray players. Blu-ray players that support Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 should be able to take advantage of this feature. We expect more devices to support this feature over time.

The first title to be streamed in 7.1 is Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Vudu hasn't yet announced other titles to be streamed in 7.1, but there should be more to come now that theatrical titles are being mixed for 7.1.

VUDU on the 93 and 95 works with 7.1 Dolby+ tracks now.

You can easily check this yourself using the free 2-minute preview of HDX on that title. If you set HDMI Bitstream output, your 7.1 Dolby+ capable AVR will confirm that's actually what's there. I've tried this myself with my Anthem D2v.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15126 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Just finished watching a BB rental on BR, "Captain America". When the credits were rolling, I pressed eject on the player but nothing happened. I pressed stop and OPPO logo came up and then tried eject and nothing happened. I tried eject from the remote and nothing happened. I turned it off then on and it finally ejected. I've had other times where the eject button doesn't seem to work but after a couple of tries it eventually works but not as bad as this time. Anyone else have issues with ejecting?

-Shimon
post #15127 of 26928 Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

VUDU on the 93 and 95 works with 7.1 Dolby+ tracks now.

You can easily check this yourself using the free 2-minute preview of HDX on that title. If you set HDMI Bitstream output, your 7.1 Dolby+ capable AVR will confirm that's actually what's there. I've tried this myself with my Anthem D2v.
--Bob

the 7.1 DD+ worked for me on pirates 4.

Jacob
post #15128 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

If only my hardwired 93 could get bandwidth to support a consisten HDX stream. Not the devices fault but frustrating none the less.
post #15129 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCleary View Post

If only my hardwired 93 could get bandwidth to support a consisten HDX stream. Not the devices fault but frustrating none the less.

Worked perfectly with a Denon 4310, wireless connection to Cisco 4200, and Xfinity. Maybe you need to go Christmas shopping.
post #15130 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not using anything special in the router.

The issue with the older modems (and I don't think we've heard of any problems with *CABLE* modems) is the firmware on the modem being mismatched with the firmware at the ISP's end. The DSL ISPs in particularly don't bother to update customer modems unless they get a complaint/request.

If you are using Wifi, try connecting by ethernet to the cable modem, using standard DHCP for your setup in the Oppo. If that works better then you may have poor reception or channel interference on your Wifi setup into the Oppo. Try moving the Oppo antenna (that's what the extender cable is for) and/or change output channels on your Wifi base station. If your router is separate from your modem, try bypassing the router. If that fixes the problem then perhaps you have firewall or other settings in the router that are slowing things down (although that should affect your PS3 the same way).
--Bob

Hmm. I'm not in Wi-Fi for the Oppo. I'll record times to connect and see if I can figure something else out (reset and clean out memory on the Oppo, etc). I'll let ya know how it goes.
post #15131 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post

Hmm. I'm not in Wi-Fi for the Oppo. I'll record times to connect and see if I can figure something else out (reset and clean out memory on the Oppo, etc). I'll let ya know how it goes.

There is another potential problem with some DSL Modems. Over time they can get slower and slower because they accumulate the error statistics and never clear them as line conditions improve.

Recycling the modem by removing power for about 15 seconds and then reapplying power will clear this problem.

A friend of mine had AT&T DSL Service with an older 2Wire DSL Modem/Wireless Router. After a fresh power up download speeds were close to 3Mbps. After several days the down load speed could drop to one fifth of that. A power cycle brought the speed back up to normal.
post #15132 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Also try swapping the Ethernet jacks at the router between the PS3 and the OPPO. Your router may be giving different priorities to different outlets. If so, there is likely a setting in the router to fix that.

Also check that you are using the same DNS settings in networking for both players as the streaming services can get confused on your location if you use a 3rd party DNS, and thus connect you to a more distant server, which slows things down.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15133 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

My guess is the difference is marketing. Netflix likely made a deal with Sony for the PS3. In addition Roku has an historical connection to Netflix.
--Bob

Well SKiTLz posted this a couple months ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20918815

Quote:

Jayson,

We will be updating the player in the future to support the Netflix 3.0 interface which includes 5.1 audio and native 1080p video playback. Unfortunately we do not know when this firmware will be released as we are still working with Netflix to integrate this into the player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

So I'm still hopeful that Netflix 3.0 isn't far away.

Ron
post #15134 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I finally got my player setup after sending in for warranty. I emailed them about the problem (lost network ability), they had RMA information for me within an hour, I mailed it and they fixed it and sent it out the next day after receiving it. Awesome customer service! They ended up sending a new one.
post #15135 of 26928 Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Great to hear.
post #15136 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM

hi,
anyone know if there are any difference between oppo bdp-93 and pioneer player (lx-52 in particular) in term of gamma and colorimetry? In other words, do I need to get display recalibrated switching from pio lx-52 to oppo bdp-93?
thanks in advance
post #15137 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartex73 View Post

hi,
anyone know if there are any difference between oppo bdp-93 and pioneer player (lx-52 in particular) in term of gamma and colorimetry? In other words, do I need to get display recalibrated switching from pio lx-52 to oppo bdp-93?
thanks in advance

Display calibration should be more or less independent of the source. However, if a calibration for a specific source (input) has been done you may see minor differences. A lot depends on how your calibration was done.
post #15138 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

hi,
thanks in advance

The 93 puts out "correct" data on its HDMI output with default settings.

However calibration is often the art of compromise -- figuring out how to work around limitations in the display or even outright bugs in the display, AVR or source devices. So whether you can continue to use your existing display calibration with default settings in the 93 depends on whether your calibrator made some settings adjustments in your older player to help work around issues in your display that could not be fixed by changing display settings. Just as a "for instance", if your display has a problem processing YCbCr input correctly, then your calibrator may have set your Pioneer to output RGB instead.

It's best go get a calibration disc and check all the basics yourself. The Spears & Munsil Blu-ray disc is a good start.
--Bob

post #15139 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

hi,
thanks in advance

My main concern, and what ive seen vary with other settings staying the same (color space, deep color), is the Brightness setting. Some players also clip white with a certain contrast setting, but I doubt these players would.
post #15140 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

hi,
thanks in advance

Assuming that you had a professional calibration (costs hundreds of $), the various dvd players, blu-ray or not, are then set to your high definition display (plasma, LCD, projector bulb) which is the item that is calibrated. So there are going to be differences, but whether or not they are major is another question (and most likely they will not be major) and those players should be set accordingly and not left on factory default. Otherwise, you are not getting the full benefit of a professional calibration that takes hours, not minutes.
post #15141 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM

A professional would run a generator thru your chain, either thru a VP, AVR or direct to the display.

They would then check the player using a test disc. If done that way, anyone with a test disc can change out their player and check it themselves. I do my own calibrations, and other than one player requiring a modified Brightness/Contrast setting, its not a big deal.

I'd not sweat changing players after calibration, especially a higher end one.
post #15142 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

thanks all for your replies
my display is a pioneer kuro 5090H (european). I'm very satisfied about calibration. Just a question: I read that BDP-93 has the qdeo processor. Can it interphere with calibration settings? Is better to use 'source direct' when using BD?
post #15143 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

thanks all for your replies
my display is a pioneer kuro 5090H (european). I'm very satisfied about calibration. Just a question: I read that BDP-93 has the qdeo processor. Can it interphere with calibration settings? Is better to use 'source direct' when using BD?

My recommendation is that you use explicit 1080p rather than Auto or Source Direct. For example, Source Direct won't let you use the Zoom features in the player.

So long as you leave the picture adjustment settings in the Oppo at their factory default (0) values, the video data that is output is a correct rendition of the content -- i.e., no worries as regards calibration. You WILL need to check that your choice of HDMI Color Space (e.g., YCbCr 4:4:4) and Deep Color works well with your display. Frequently displays are calibrated ASSUMING one data format on any given input. And since it is common for display settings to have variant effect when switching data formats you'll need to check.
--Bob

post #15144 of 26928 Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

I use 1080p forced also, Id not worry about the Qdeo interfering with the calibration.
post #15145 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I had been using the Oppo since March without a glitch. Now I'm having sync issues since I installed the latest firmware.

When I load up a disc, I often get image dropouts and/or snow. Then when it finally syncs up, sometimes I get picture but no sound; other times I get sound but no picture. On the other hand, my PS3 does nothing of the sort.

Switching to another input in the receiver and back to the Oppo often solves the problem; other times cycling through audio tracks does.

I've ruled out problems with the HDMI cable or an input on the receiver.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1800; I have two displays - a Panasonic 42G20 plasma and a Sony HW20 projector.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #15146 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Liked: 12
Now that Apples Lossless Audio Codec ALAC is open source, any chance to see it implemented in a future firmware update? If there is enough interest in this we should probably email Oppo.
post #15147 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

I had been using the Oppo since March without a glitch. Now I'm having sync issues since I installed the latest firmware.

When I load up a disc, I often get image dropouts and/or snow. Then when it finally syncs up, sometimes I get picture but no sound; other times I get sound but no picture. On the other hand, my PS3 does nothing of the sort.

Switching to another input in the receiver and back to the Oppo often solves the problem; other times cycling through audio tracks does.

I've ruled out problems with the HDMI cable or an input on the receiver.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1800; I have two displays - a Panasonic 42G20 plasma and a Sony HW20 projector.

I've been having the same exact problem, except I'm plugged directly from the player to my TV. I've tried the cable that came with it, as well as cables from Monoprice.

The problem never happens with HDMI 2, just HDMI 1 (because of the 2nd video processor...search this forum for lots more info). I've been using HDMI 2 for a month with no problems, but I miss how nice the 2nd video processor made my non-HD content look.

I'm sending my player back to Oppo next week for them to check it and I'll post what they find.
post #15148 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Now that Apples Lossless Audio Codec ALAC is open source, any chance to see it implemented in a future firmware update? If there is enough interest in this we should probably email Oppo.

and I thought I will be the first to post it

http://alac.macosforge.org/

Oppo, please include now Apple Lossless Codec as its free!!!!!! Many of the Oppo users have Mac running iTunes with CDs stored in Apple lossless Codec format. The playback of these files would be really nice and a big bonus.
post #15149 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone of you have the same problem with HDMI-CEC, in that even with the HDMI(Limited) setting, the Oppo switches on my Samsung TV, when according to the setting description in the manual it should not?

Quote:

HDMI 1 (Limited) - HDMI CEC is enabled on HDMI 1 output, but the BDP-93 will only respond to playback control commands. It will not respond or issue power on/off and input selection commands. Use this mode if you do not want the automatic setup function to turn on/off your devices.

post #15150 of 26928 Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Is there any chance that this player will ever be able to stream BD-ISO over network? I know it will do this via attached storage but I'm using a Dune player and WHS via SMB.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page