post #16621 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Forgive me if this has already been answered in a thread. A perfunctory search didn't turn up an answer.

Can the BDP-93 output VUDU HDX streaming at 24 fps, or does it forcibly apply 3:2 Pulldown regardless of your "Video" output settings for Blu-ray? My 93 is connected to a Lumagen Radiance processor. The Radiance reports receiving a 23.98 Hz signal when playing Blu-rays, but it has shown a 59.97 Hz signal on the last few VUDU HDX movies I've streamed. I've been told that the VUDU HDX files are encoded and transmitted as 1080p24.

I just checked a handful of recent VUDU titles using Source Direct from the 93 and HDX of the "Free 2 Minute Preview" in VUDU.

Source Direct is sending out 1080p/60 for all of these, indicating that's just what's coming in from VUDU.

Where did you find the info suggesting these streams are supposed to be 1080p/24?

(Examples: "Kung Fu Panda 2" and "Midnight in Paris")
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wabbit - Just so I'm clear, are you comparing the flacs to playing the physical CD on the Oppo or are you comparing it to the other CD player?

Did you ever resolve your timing difference? Could it have been longer track transition times or are the actual tracks longer?
post #16623 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit636 View Post

I got my 93 yesterday and today I wanted to compare the CD playback quality between my CDP and the 93. I used the same CD and pressed play at the same time so that I could switch between both on my processor but the longer the CD played the more there was a difference in the track position (ie time). After about 4 minutes the 93 was lagging behind by about 13 seconds. I used a quality watch to time them to see which one was correct and unfortunately the 93 was the one that wasn't keeping the correct timing.

Anyone else notice this?

If this a known issue or a defect of my unit?

I'm not seeing this.

I just tested a regular, commercial CD disc in the US version of the 93 (latest "official" firmware). The first track on this disc is 13:09 in length -- I have several different brands of CD players which all agree on this.

With the 93, there is a short delay when you start a track (e.g., if you Track Back to restart the track), which is presumably related to getting the HDMI connection happy with the newly starting audio stream. But allowing for when the music actually starts, the Oppo's time counter (Front Panel and On-screen display) stays in sync with a stop watch throughout the length of that track.

I.e., the relationship between the Oppo's time counter and the stop watch at the transition to 1:00 is identical to what happens at the transition to 13:00. There is DEFINITELY nothing like a 13 second lag building up every 4 minutes.

Note: The Oppo's time counter does not begin advancing until the music starts.

In addition, the Track change to the 2nd track happens at precisely the 13:09 point according to the stop watch -- measured from when the music started. I.e., the track is in fact playing back at the correct speed. The track change itself is "seamless" -- no delay between the end of one track and the start of the next.

If you are using the European version of the player then perhaps there is an error in that one. Or perhaps you haven't accounted for the delay before the music STARTS to play.

ETA: To eliminate the difference in startup delay, try this: In each player, at the instant the music starts, hit Pause. Now hit Play simultaneously on both players.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16624 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Discs are OFTEN sold in variant versions. It looks like the problem here is that at least one European version of that disc has a disc authoring bug that requires BD-Live to be turned ON in the player.

Disc packaging typically comes with either or both of an "ISBN" number or a "bar code" number which Oppo can use to distinguish which version you've got.

If you don't see a number labeled "ISBN", look for the bar code on the disc package and read the number printed under the bar code -- including the tinier digit found at either end. Get that number to Oppo with your report of the problem.
--Bob

I spoke to Oppo UK tech support and they told me that they know the Jurassic Park Set does have a problem and that they are currently working on a fix to allow the discs to work with BD Live switched off and it will be incorporated sometime in a firmware update.
So for now I am leaving BD Live switched on.
post #16625 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

My first hiccup: at the end of a movie today, the controls locked up, both remote & front panel. I couldn't even eject the disc. Fortunately the power button worked & I was able to shut down & restated. I have never erased memory in the year I have owned it. This really doesn't bother me but just putting it out there. I am very pleased with my 93 & couldn't live without it.

I had the exact same thing happen the first or second day I was trying out the 93. The credits were still playing and I had no control. In my case this was a DVD-Video iso file playing off the hard drive not a physical disk.
post #16626 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZUKI67 View Post

Thanks for your advice but i have emailed oppo see what they make of it. panasonic v20 hdmi 1 primary output set to hdmi1. tried all different colour settings, all my other movies play fine so it's not my settings.

How sure are you that the UK version of Gladiator giving you these problems is a legitimate disc and not a pirated copy?

That incorrect language issue on the bonus disc is the sort of thing you might expect from a pirated copy.
--Bob

post #16627 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I had the exact same thing happen the first or second day I was trying out the 93. The credits were still playing and I had no control. In my case this was a DVD-Video iso file playing off the hard drive not a physical disk.

What firmware were you running in the 93 when this happened. I don't recall how recently you got your 93 or whether you updated firmware.
--Bob

post #16628 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGR4 View Post

I spoke to Oppo UK tech support and they told me that they know the Jurassic Park Set does have a problem and that they are currently working on a fix to allow the discs to work with BD Live switched off and it will be incorporated sometime in a firmware update.
So for now I am leaving BD Live switched on.

The problem appears to be with that European release of this set. Stupid studio programming tricks....
--Bob

post #16629 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

I just checked a handful of recent VUDU titles using Source Direct from the 93 and HDX of the "Free 2 Minute Preview" in VUDU.

Source Direct is sending out 1080p/60 for all of these, indicating that's just what's coming in from VUDU.

Where did you find the info suggesting these streams are supposed to be 1080p/24?

(Examples: "Kung Fu Panda 2" and "Midnight in Paris")

In the VUDU thread in the Video Download Services forum, I was told that VUDU encodes are 480p24, 720p24 or 1080p24. I swear that I remember receiving 1080p24 on new release titles in the past, but I may be mis-remembering, or I may have been using VUDU on another device at the time.

I don't believe that VUDU is streaming at 1080p60 from the source. That wouldn't make any sense. 60 Hz requires a lot more needless bandwidth than 24 Hz, and offers no benefit. All it does it add 3:2 Pulldown artifacts.

At this point, I don't believe that Source Direct mode works with VUDU on the BDP-93. I suspect that the player is disabling 24 fps and adding the 3:2 Pulldown. I'll have to forward this question to OPPO and see if they can confirm.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16630 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

At this point, I don't believe that Source Direct mode works with VUDU on the BDP-93. I suspect that the player is disabling 24 fps and adding the 3:2 Pulldown. I'll have to forward this question to OPPO and see if they can confirm.

Whatever it's doing is determined by the application that Vudu provides, Oppo has no control over it AFAIK.
post #16631 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't believe that VUDU is streaming at 1080p60 from the source. That wouldn't make any sense. 60 Hz requires a lot more needless bandwidth than 24 Hz

Not necessarily. The bandwidth is determined by the amount of data actually transmitted. 10Mbps displayed at 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 is still 10Mbps.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #16632 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Not necessarily. The bandwidth is determined by the amount of data actually transmitted. 10Mbps displayed at 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 is still 10Mbps.

Yes, but it would make more sense to apply those bits to other aspects of picture quality and not waste them on adding needless 3:2 Pulldown.

I just looked up my old review of the original VUDU download box. In it, I wrote: "HDX files are encoded at 1080p24 resolution with MPEG-4 compression. Due to bandwidth concerns, 1080p60 is not an option. If your HDTV can't sync to a 24 fps signal, you should set the VUDU box for 1080i output." I must have tested that, or I wouldn't have written it.

Perhaps it's the VUDU app in the OPPO player that's forcing the 3:2 Pulldown, but I don't believe the files are streaming from VUDU that way.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16633 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

The "Knowledge Base" at VUDU.COM agrees that HDX movies are streamed as 1080p/24:

http://supports.vudu.com/questions/209/What+is+HDX%3F

So it appears there is a problem with the VUDU app.

I'll pass the word through the Beta testers as well.

By the way, lest you think even HDX movies are "pristine", take a gander at this other item from their Knowleged Base which describes the "TrueFilm", ahem, enhancement processing they subject each film to:

http://supports.vudu.com/questions/2...+is+TruFilm%3F

I.e., Blu-ray disc is almost certainly still better.
--Bob

post #16634 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What firmware were you running in the 93 when this happened. I don't recall how recently you got your 93 or whether you updated firmware.
--Bob

Santa just brought it to replace my 83. I updated the firmware as soon as I hooked it up on the 26th. I'll double check the version when I get a chance. I blamed it on the iso file at the time. I'll see if I can repeat it.
post #16635 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Does the OPPO 93 have hdmi link?
I don't think so but figured I would ask
post #16636 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Email OPPO. The address shown on their web page is Service@oppodigital.com.

Thanks. I actually did see that, but I figured it was for tech support type stuff.

Well, I guess I can't argue with 10.9k posts!
post #16637 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post

Does the OPPO 93 have hdmi link?
I don't think so but figured I would ask

What do you mean by "hdmi link"? I'm guessing that's a marketing name for some company's proprietary device control protocol over HDMI, but rather than guess, I'll just ask.
--Bob

post #16638 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Santa just brought it to replace my 83. I updated the firmware as soon as I hooked it up on the 26th. I'll double check the version when I get a chance. I blamed it on the iso file at the time. I'll see if I can repeat it.

As I understand it, you're saying the player became unresponsive to the remote WHILE that end of film credit roll continued playing.

Yes, if you can repeat that, please do get the details to Oppo tech support.
--Bob

post #16639 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I'm not seeing this.

I just tested a regular, commercial CD disc in the US version of the 93 (latest "official" firmware). The first track on this disc is 13:09 in length -- I have several different brands of CD players which all agree on this.

With the 93, there is a short delay when you start a track (e.g., if you Track Back to restart the track), which is presumably related to getting the HDMI connection happy with the newly starting audio stream. But allowing for when the music actually starts, the Oppo's time counter (Front Panel and On-screen display) stays in sync with a stop watch throughout the length of that track.

I.e., the relationship between the Oppo's time counter and the stop watch at the transition to 1:00 is identical to what happens at the transition to 13:00. There is DEFINITELY nothing like a 13 second lag building up every 4 minutes.

Note: The Oppo's time counter does not begin advancing until the music starts.

In addition, the Track change to the 2nd track happens at precisely the 13:09 point according to the stop watch -- measured from when the music started. I.e., the track is in fact playing back at the correct speed. The track change itself is "seamless" -- no delay between the end of one track and the start of the next.

If you are using the European version of the player then perhaps there is an error in that one. Or perhaps you haven't accounted for the delay before the music STARTS to play.

ETA: To eliminate the difference in startup delay, try this: In each player, at the instant the music starts, hit Pause. Now hit Play simultaneously on both players.
--Bob

Hi Bob,

I have a US version. I had both the 93 and the CDP started at the same time using the pause on both first and I was flipping between the Anthem D2's sources to see the SQ difference. Both tracks were playing at the same time and were at the same place but as the song played I started to notice that one was no longer in synch with the other due to the vocals and by the end of the song there was a 13 second lag on the 93. I then used a reliable watch and timed both while they played to see which one was correct and the 93 was not keeping the time correctly.

I will try it a 2nd time using a song to see if it still does the same thing. If it does then I will take it as a defect in my 93.

Thanks
post #16640 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Wabbit - Just so I'm clear, are you comparing the flacs to playing the physical CD on the Oppo or are you comparing it to the other CD player?

Did you ever resolve your timing difference? Could it have been longer track transition times or are the actual tracks longer?

I was comparing the FLACs through the hard drive plugged into the 93 with the physical CD (the one that was used to make the FLACs) with the 93.

See my previous post on the timing difference. I only tested it on 1 song so it wasn't influenced by any longer pauses between songs. Also see my previous post for more on this.
post #16641 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Hi Bob,

I have a US version. I had both the 93 and the CDP started at the same time using the pause on both first and I was flipping between the Anthem D2's sources to see the SQ difference. Both tracks were playing at the same time and were at the same place but as the song played I started to notice that one was no longer in synch with the other due to the vocals and by the end of the song there was a 13 second lag on the 93. I then used a reliable watch and timed both while they played to see which one was correct and the 93 was not keeping the time correctly.

I will try it a 2nd time using a song to see if it still does the same thing. If it does then I will take it as a defect in my 93.

Thanks

I don't think there is a defect. Here is my theory. Since you do not specify how each device is connected I'm going to assume your CDP player is connected via a digital coax/optical or analog RCA (since I don't know of any CDPs that have HDMI connections) connection while the 93 is connected via HDMI. When you switch back and forth between connections on the Anthem, the 93 will pause to renegotiate the HDMI handshake. Going back and forth will produce this effect.

As a test, leave it on the 93 and play them both without switching. You will see they will both be in sync with each other. Or you can keep an eye on the 93's display when you switch sources on the Anthem and you'll see the counter pause as the HDMI handshake occurs.

If this is the case I would recommend using the same connection for the 93 and remove the HDMI cable to mitigate this issue. This would also be more of a fair comparison as you are comparing more similar setups as now you are using the DACS on the Oppo vs. the Anthems DACs via HDMI.
post #16642 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks

If you had an active HDMI connection from the Oppo (perhaps for video), then each time you switch sources in the D2 the playback gets paused in the Oppo for a new HDMI handshake. That alone could explain the lag you saw.
--Bob

post #16643 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I agree with this because with HDMI it takes time to get all your personal information to the content provider again after you resume from pause.

Just kidding. Sorry to interrupt.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #16644 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post

With a region-free mod you'll be able to play discs from all regions, but it will remain a US model that requires the US firmware.

So in the future it could be that support for a european streaming service is added to the EU firmware (currently there is none), which you will not be able to use with your US player. At the same time, you can't use the US streaming services included in the US firmware (Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora) when you are located outside the territory covered by these services (which usually check the IP address of the client)

That's the only technical limitation I can think of, when buying a US player instead of the EU model.

Thanks, I'll pass that information along to my friend overseas. The cost savings may not be worth the potential loss of features using a U.S. player in Europe.
post #16645 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:

If you had an active HDMI connection from the Oppo (perhaps for video), then each time you switch sources in the D2 the playback gets paused in the Oppo for a new HDMI handshake. That alone could explain the lag you saw.
--Bob

Yes I had video on the Oppo as it was displaying it for the song titles/tracks.

Later tonight I will have both play without switching it back and forth.
post #16646 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Hello to the group. I am new to the OPPO 93 and have a question with displaying .jpg files. I have searched the thread without much luck so I thought I would post.

When displaying .jpg pictures it seems to be cutting off a small portion along the bottom. The top looks to be all there. It's almost like it's not sizing it correctly to fit the height of the TV. I am using the latest firmware and it does this using either a thumb drive or a hard drive. I have the OPPO connected to a Denon 1909 AVR and the Denon then connected to the TV all with HDMI (using HDMI 1 on the OPPO.)

Any ideas on where to look to solve this?

Thanks for any help in this matter!

-Doug
post #16647 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyback View Post

Hello to the group. I am new to the OPPO 93 and have a question with displaying .jpg files. I have searched the thread without much luck so I thought I would post.

When displaying .jpg pictures it seems to be cutting off a small portion along the bottom. The top looks to be all there. It's almost like it's not sizing it correctly to fit the height of the TV. I am using the latest firmware and it does this using either a thumb drive or a hard drive. I have the OPPO connected to a Denon 1909 AVR and the Denon then connected to the TV all with HDMI (using HDMI 1 on the OPPO.)

Any ideas on where to look to solve this?

Thanks for any help in this matter!

-Doug

Start with a calibration disc like Spears & Munsil, Blu-ray, and check that your geometry is correct in the first place. Your display might be cutting off the bottom and you are just noticing it now on these images.
--Bob

post #16648 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the clue, I'll look into it...

-Doug
post #16649 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am trying move audio cds into hard drive to play with oppo. I can use clone cd from slysoft to copy as .img file. Can I play it from Oppo 93? If not, what are recommended steps to play cd content from hard drive?
post #16650 of 26928 Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I am trying move audio cds into hard drive to play with oppo. I can use clone cd from slysoft to copy as .img file. Can I play it from Oppo 93? If not, what are recommended steps to play cd content from hard drive?

Oppo only supports ISO files with video content and file structure. Most folks use FLAC files for storing CDs, since FLAC supports meta tags and imbedded cover art.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page