Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #17131 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Folks, a summary of where we are on the ISO support situation.

(1) The Forum Moderators have asked not to get into this until we have official word from OPPO. If you don't like that, don't hash it out here, but contact the moderators directly. Use the triangle in the left margin to call them up.

(2) Please don't rant about DRM here. It's off topic and there's nothing we can do about it.

(3) OPPO customer support has been telling people that ISO will be going away in the future. It will be announced in the release notes of a future firmware update.

(4) We have no statement on the details of when or why yet, but we understand that the content owners (= Studios) lowered the boom. OPPO would not remove the feature if they had any choice in the matter. If it's coming from the decoder chip maker, then OPPO is not even involved in the decision.

(5) We'll suggest workarounds in the FAQ once we know more. The situation with Blu-ray is not that bad, in that AVCHD and/or BDMV folder support are a reasonable substitute for ISO.

(6) DVD is more troublesome because the player does not support VIDEO_TS folders. Repackaging DVD A/V into MKV containers is probably the best course.

(7) Getting your money back: outside of the 30 day return period, I doubt it, but you can always ask. ISO support was never listed in the specs.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17132 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Yes. You can cancel the save point by doing STOP-STOP. One STOP remembers, as does EJECT or POWER OFF.

-Bill

Remember, though, that Blu-ray discs have their own special ways of remembering (or not remembering) where your viewing is up to. It all depends on the authoring of the disc.
post #17133 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

Remember, though, that Blu-ray discs have their own special ways of remembering (or not remembering) where your viewing is up to. It all depends on the authoring of the disc.

Very true, I should have mentioned that.

Blu-ray discs without java are like DVDs and resume points are remembered.

Blu-ray discs with java require java programming on disc to remember a resume point and the player cannot do it automatically.

The BDP-93 and -83 are the same in this regard.

-Bill
post #17134 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Yes. You can cancel the save point by doing STOP-STOP. One STOP remembers, as does EJECT or POWER OFF.

-Bill

THANK YOU!

Whew.

I have one more issue that I realise I haven't addressed before I pull the trigger on the Oppo:

Right now I'm running my video sources through my Denon DVP - 6020CI video processor. Unfortunately the Denon will not pass-through 3D signals.
(Nor do I think my Denon AV receiver will do it either).

I understand the Oppo has 2 HDMI outs which could help me out here, I hope. But I'm trying to pin down how. I really want to be able to use the Denon's processing, especially it's noise reduction, for all my non-3D content.

So, could I connect one HDMI from the Oppo to my Denon VP for 2D stuff, and then run the other HDMI out of the Oppo to the second HDMI input of my projector (bypassing the Denon VP and AV receiver) for watching 3D?

Or, are there any other suggestions? (Maybe time to buy a new AV receiver? I shudder at the thought).
post #17135 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moderators Note:

Regarding ISO Support: Until official word comes from Oppo, further extended speculation is off topic and will be deleted without notice. A number of related posts have been deleted. Reports of comments from Oppo CSR's is hardly official word.

This was originally posted in this topic on 1/13/12.

Please see wmcclain's post which summarizes the situation: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=17141

Feel free to discuss the alternatives to ISO Support in this topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #17136 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Liked: 11
I just noticed this post. I've been looking for a device like this since I bought my Oppo!!! Mind if I ask a few questions about it?

Do you ever have trouble with it, or does it work fine?

Can you just connect it via a router, or does it require a direct cable to a PC?

Do you use the multi-drive version, or the single?

Thanks!

To the person that asked about this...

I spent a month researching since I knew I wanted a direct-download device that also connected to the Oppo--trying everything from USB extension cables run to a regular enclosure to several hubs. I found that the USB and Oppo relationship is just very picky. This device works brilliantly (until I got it too close to a Mac and it corrupted my NTFS partitions to RAW that I'm STILL trying to fix...but that's another story...)

Solid case itself...very well made. I connect it DIRECTLY to my PC for best possible transfer speed (and USB to the Oppo 95). That's only because I don't have a gigabit router since I use the 100mb Uverse one--so adding a cheap add-on GB card to PC was my best option. I ran HDtach on it and it gave me about 50mps speed over ethernet with a 1.5TB WD Green drive installed (it was only about 10 via the 100mb router). I use the single version--may switch to the dual one since I can't add over a 2TB drive (although Oppo support said 2.5TB works). However, the dual version appears to be a bit older as it does not have e-sata (which is fastest but I currently do not use because it isn't hot-swappable like USB and requires complete disconnect to revive the PC connection--and that means Oppo power down to do). However the dual is very cheap at NewEgg now so worth a test try.

Mount the simple driver as either Read or Read/Write (can auto-mount) and it is immediately seen as a drive letter without TCP-IP complications. Plug in the USB connector to the Oppo and it automatically dismounts off the computer--unplug the USB and it picks it right back up (hear the hardware added sound in the next room). Only if you plug/unplug USB very quickly does it ever mess up releasing the connection--you don't even have to turn off the Oppo. You can't ask for more than that of the single-host device. Oh yeah...one little gripe: you do have to read a TINY lettered code off the drive to initially set it up--have a magnifying glass handy.
post #17137 of 26959 Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM

It's finally here!

Unboxing video

http://youtu.be/ll1x54gQWX4?hd=1
post #17138 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

THANK YOU!

Whew.

I have one more issue that I realise I haven't addressed before I pull the trigger on the Oppo:

Right now I'm running my video sources through my Denon DVP - 6020CI video processor. Unfortunately the Denon will not pass-through 3D signals.
(Nor do I think my Denon AV receiver will do it either).

I understand the Oppo has 2 HDMI outs which could help me out here, I hope. But I'm trying to pin down how. I really want to be able to use the Denon's processing, especially it's noise reduction, for all my non-3D content.

So, could I connect one HDMI from the Oppo to my Denon VP for 2D stuff, and then run the other HDMI out of the Oppo to the second HDMI input of my projector (bypassing the Denon VP and AV receiver) for watching 3D?

Or, are there any other suggestions? (Maybe time to buy a new AV receiver? I shudder at the thought).

Yes, that it is the main reason for dual HDMI outputs.
post #17139 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank dominski View Post

I just ordered a 93 and was wondering if I use HDMI-1 to my receiver for movies can I also run coaxial or optical digital audio out to the CD in on the receiver for CD play. I read through the on line users manual and it doesn't make that clear. Right now I have a BD player hooked up with a HDMI cable to my receiver set to Cinema and a separate CD player to same receiver set to Music. Also is the HDMI cable that comes with the unit worth using or should I pick one up. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

You can but, why would you do that ? You can listen to the CDs through the HDMI as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Frank said he has his HDMI input configured for a surround mode (Cinema). If he wants to listen to CD's in plain stereo, using the coax / toslink digital outputs would be an easy solution - just configure that input for stereo.

Frank - all outputs on the player are active at all times (but note that you can't get SACD audio over the coax / toslink outputs), so you should be able to do what you want. The other option is to use HDMI for everything and switch your surround mode when watching movies or listening to music accordingly. Depending on your receiver, this may require cycling through all the modes or there might be remote control commands for each mode.

Quote:

My AVR is a Denon 4310ci, which makes you go into the main menu to change from Cinema to Music . Its a pain and I was just trying to avoid that buy using both HDMI and optical CD. But I did not think about loosing SCAD. Think I will try hooking up both and when playing a SCAD run it through the HDMI and all other CD's through optical, and see how that works out. Thanks for the replys.

Frank, I'm running the Denon AVR3808. This a couple of levels below your AVR and a couple of years older too. I use the Personal Memory Plus function which tells the denon what audio setting to use for any given source played through the same input.

For example for my PayTV (Foxtel in Australia) if the signal is DD5.1 I get DD5.1. If the signal is stereo the denon outputs it as 5CHStereo.

On my Oppo the various different inputs are output by the denon as I choose. DTS HDMA as just that. CD's in stereo. SACD as DSD etc etc.

You might wnat to double check your manual or ask on the 4310 forum if you're not sure.

Having said that, I still use a coax output (as well as HDMI) from my Oppo.

When playing CD's on HDMI, if I turn off my TV I get HDCP glitches. If I use coax or stereo analogue I don't even turn on the TV, just insert disc and play. There are other ways of resolving the HDCP glitch too - leave TV on and use Pure Audio mode on Oppo or use the eco function on your tv to turn off the panel.

Of course the other reason to use coax is that the denon will not output to Zone 2 from HDMI sources. SO I also use coax/analogue stereo for Zone 2out of my AVR.

cheers
blairy
post #17140 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

My AVR is a Denon 4310ci, which makes you go into the main menu to change from Cinema to Music . Its a pain and I was just trying to avoid that buy using both HDMI and optical CD. But I did not think about loosing SCAD. Think I will try hooking up both and when playing a SCAD run it through the HDMI and all other CD's through optical, and see how that works out. Thanks for the replys.

I have a 3808ci, but I'm pretty sure the same would apply to a 4310ci. If you have a universal remote, there are discrete remote codes for all of the music modes on the Denon AVR's, so changing from Cinema to Music to Stereo, etc. is nothing more than a button press on the remote. I have a Harmony One and switch modes this way all the time.
post #17141 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

It's finally here!

Unboxing video

Don't ya just love that sexy black packaging, and that sexy carry bag it comes in? Congrats on your purchase.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #17142 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I've just bought a 3D projector (JVC RS55) and need to upgrade my Oppo 83 so I figured the Oppo 93 is the natural step. However, one comment on Amazon gave me a bit of pause. The "review" said that the Oppo 93 does not remember the playback position of a disc when you turn it off.

My Oppo 83 often remembers the position which is very handy because I often do not get through an entire movie in one night. I'm hoping that the reviewer got that wrong:

Does the Oppo BDP-93 remember playback position when turned back on?

Thanks.

Hi Rich,

It depends on how the Blu-Ray is authored. Some disks will not resume some will and I do not think it is player specific.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #17143 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

It's finally here!

Unboxing video

I have one coming today.
What firmware came with yours?
post #17144 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I have one coming today.
What firmware came with yours?

Mine arrived yesterday and I updated to the latest firmware. I don't recall what was on it, but I'm assuming it was just the immediately previous firmware.
post #17145 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM

oh and here it is in my rack...

post #17146 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeussmith View Post

Mine arrived yesterday and I updated to the latest firmware. I don't recall what was on it, but I'm assuming it was just the immediately previous firmware.

Thanks

Your setup looks good.
post #17147 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Or, you can buy black rubber jar stoppers at a good hardware store such as are illustrated here for a buck a piece.

Dana

That's a fine alternative. However, if you intend to use them over an amp or other component that runs hot, you should ensure the stoppers have the necessary heat rating. AV Risers has products for use over hot gear.

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection
post #17148 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

Thanks

Your setup looks good.

thanks! The cabinet was free from my brother in law, as well as the top two 2-post shelves. I'm too cheap to buy 4-post shelves for the heavier gear, so i built some supports and shelves out of scrap wood from an unused ikea futon frame and cabinet doors.

i only wish now that I had repainted the cabinet before moving it into the closet, racking the gear, and cable management. :/
post #17149 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeussmith View Post

oh and here it is in my rack...

Nice rack!

Sorry, I couldn't resist... -TD
post #17150 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

Nice rack!

Sorry, I couldn't resist... -TD

ha! nice.
post #17151 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Yes, that it is the main reason for dual HDMI outputs.

Thank you.

An AV receiver that can pass 3D would be more convenient I'm sure. But then again, the headache of buying and setting up these monsters (AV receivers), re-calibrating, and then re-learning all the new commands into a universal remote is headache-inducing in of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Hi Rich,

It depends on how the Blu-Ray is authored. Some disks will not resume some will and I do not think it is player specific.

- Rich

That makes sense. I seem to have noticed that the playback option was inconsistent and I had a feeling that was the answer.

Thanks, Rich.
post #17152 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Hey guys

What about NuForce Extreme Edition? What do you think, is it worth the money?
post #17153 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil81 View Post

Hey guys

What about NuForce Extreme Edition? What do you think, is it worth the money?

IMHO given a choice of a modified 93 going for $1399 (NuForce Extreme Edition) and a BDP-95 ($999) I think the law of money spent versus diminishing returns is in full effect.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17154 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I ripped few bluray disks to folders (AVCHD) but they don't play flawlessly like the "other method". Few video breakups and loss of audio for 1 or 2 seconds. It's not the file because rewinding and playing back works again . I wonder if anybody else experienced the same or if this is a known issue. Never had a single glitch playing back any other format, it's just the AVCHD folders. I use DVDFAB 8 to rip the disks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #17155 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check the links at the top of the first post of this thread for the Oppo DLNA/UPnP thread which contains discussion of streaming servers like Twonky. I haven't looked for this, but there's likely some Mac related discussion in there.
--Bob

Twonky works nicely on my MAC Lion server. If you have a Windows VM on the machine, you might consider PlayOn, which now supports DLNA on local files (in beta). Haven't really checked it out yet.

If you have a smart phone (well Android anyway) or Kindle, there are nice applications allowing remote control of the feed to the player.

- Ed
post #17156 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falis View Post

Twonky works nicely on my MAC Lion server. If you have a Windows VM on the machine, you might consider PlayOn, which now supports DLNA on local files (in beta). Haven't really checked it out yet.

If you're running OS X, you really should check out Yazsoft's Playback for your DLNA server. It now works flawlessly with the 93 and is ridiculously easy to set up and use. It'll stream all your iTunes, iPhoto and Aperture libraries, too.
post #17157 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Do I need to tinker with the 'Picture Adjustment' settings when my TV is already professionally calibrated? I'm happy with the PQ so far but am I missing out anything if I don't use the 'Picture Adjustment' settings? Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Qdeo processor is best utilize on the 'Picture Adjustment' settings?

Also I have a Sony 55" XBRHX-929 3DTV and I'm curious if I should turn the 1080p 24 output on or off? If I turn it off, is the PQ going to be better? Is it going to be output as 60hz instead and is that better? Any advise or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #17158 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I ripped few bluray disks to folders (AVCHD) but they don't play flawlessly like the "other method". Few video breakups and loss of audio for 1 or 2 seconds. It's not the file because rewinding and playing back works again . I wonder if anybody else experienced the same or if this is a known issue. Never had a single glitch playing back any other format, it's just the AVCHD folders. I use DVDFAB 8 to rip the disks.

That was also my experience before the other method became available. It wasn't flawless, I had skips and pauses that I've never had using the other method or with mkv containers. Haven't tried it lately though.
post #17159 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Do I need to tinker with the 'Picture Adjustment' settings when my TV is already professionally calibrated? I'm happy with the PQ so far but am I missing out anything if I don't use the 'Picture Adjustment' settings? Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Qdeo processor is best utilize on the 'Picture Adjustment' settings?

The standard advice is to leave the player Picture Adjustments at zero and use the display controls if you need to adjust calibration.

Quote:

Also I have a Sony 55" XBRHX-929 3DTV and I'm curious if I should turn the 1080p 24 output on or off? If I turn it off, is the PQ going to be better?

It's a matter of personal preference. Try it both ways and see which you like the best. 24hz is supposed to eliminate pulldown judder. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't.

Quote:

Is it going to be output as 60hz instead

Yes, when 1080p24 is OFF.

-Bill
post #17160 of 26959 Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:

The standard advice is to leave the player Picture Adjustments at zero and use the display controls if you need to adjust calibration.

It's a matter of personal preference. Try it both ways and see which you like the best. 24hz is supposed to eliminate pulldown judder. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't.

Yes, when 1080p24 is OFF.

-Bill

thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page