54Likes

post #17341 of 27256 Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You must follow the instructions exactly. Following them approximately is pointless. What I am describing has worked many times for other people.
  • Turn off BD Live.
  • Erase Persistent Storage.
  • Reboot the player.

That you don't see Persistent Storage filled up means nothing. A single evil byte can confuse the tiny little mind of a Blu-ray java program.

If it still doesn't work, I would Reset Factory Defaults.

If still no good, try the disc in some other player. If no good, it's probably defective.

If it does work, I would reinstall the current firmware.

If still no good, I would contact OPPO with the details.

-Bill

Okay Bill, followed the instructions perfectly and put the disc back in and it didn't work.

Next, I restored factory defaults, put the disc back in and it worked fine.

I have not reinstalled the current firmware for fear the disc won't work, but at that point I guess I could restore the factory defaults again, if it does happen.

Time will tell I suppose. I will let you know when I do the firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17342 of 27256 Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Level 5 FF on the OPPO is 32x.

-Bill

Gotcha, thanks.

Any increase in speed they can squeeze out would be a good thing.
post #17343 of 27256 Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

question, why firmware notice off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusawa View Post

With the rumours of feature removal I would have it off incase I accidentally update, as you can't revert to old version. Also previous updates broke the region mods so I check the forums before updating. I also prefer to view the change log on the website and download the update to USB. Everyone has different preference.

Even before the current .ISO issue, I prefer to get my firmware information at AVS, and wait to be sure that there are no unintended consequences. I have the current firmware update saved and waiting for a time when I need it. Also, I don't intend to install a firmware that removes the .ISO feature unless I'm forced to.

I never allow automatic firmware updates.
post #17344 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Even before the current .ISO issue, I prefer to get my firmware information at AVS, and wait to be sure that there are no unintended consequences. I have the current firmware update saved and waiting for a time when I need it. Also, I don't intend to install a firmware that removes the .ISO feature unless I'm forced to.

I have had a question. Is not accepting or turning off auto FW notification same as automatic firmware updat blocking?

In search of video bliss...
post #17345 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Gee, like if you had ever a issue, Oppo is so far away.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17346 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I have had a question. Is not accepting or turning off auto FW notification same as automatic firmware updat blocking?

You simply don't get notified that there is new official FW available by using that feature. There will always be a beta release before the official release BTW.

Like any BD player, these latest official FW updates are recommended and whats installed on shipping players.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17347 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Gee, like if you had ever a issue, Oppo is so far away.

I've only ever paid them a visit to pick up new (four) players.

No one's FW or other software updates get installed here until I confirm that they're benign.
post #17348 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

There is no automatic firmware update. If you have notification turned on you still have to say Yes or No when the notification pops up.

-Bill
post #17349 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM

Time to ask the experts.

I have decided to order Region 2 DVD's from the UK. I have tried a Pioneer 610AV on my 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma which is 760p. I am wondering if I will get superior DVD Upconversion with the Oppo 93 and the Pro Region Free chip set.

There is quite a cost differential between the Pioneer 610 and the Oppo. In reality, the cost difference of the UK DVD's to the US DVD's is quite substantial also. Oppo could pay for itself over a period of time since I love British series.

With a 6 times price difference do I stick with the Pioneer 610 or take the plunge with the Oppo. It is doubtful that I will use UK Blurays but I have some US Blurays (50).

Any suggestions would be helpful since I am very torn with this one.
post #17350 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I order lots of Region 2 DVDs from Amazon UK. Some are available from Amazon USA. I use the OPPO BDP 93 Player DVD Region Free Super Disk.

The DVD upconversion of the OPPO 93 is as good as it gets.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #17351 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Just purchased the 93 here in New Zealand. I changed from the Pioneer LX-91 and the image from this machine not only looks better, but is so much faster (obvious considering it's a new machine but still nice , and being region free for DVD and Region free for Blu Ray is awesome!!
post #17352 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Release date: January 23, 2012.
Category: Latest Public Beta Release
Main Version: BDP9x-64-0119B
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)
Release Notes:

1. Resolved the loading failure issue observed on several recently-released Blu-ray movies, mainly Universal Europe (EU) releases. Their US releases have no known issue. Sample titles include "Jurassic Park Trilogy (BD Box Set, 2011)", "Kong Fu Panda 2 (BD, 2011)", "Fast Five (BD, 2011)", and "National Lampoon's Animal House (BD, 1978 version)" etc. With the previous firmware, disc playback will automatically stop once you go to the Main Menu and select to PLAY. This firmware properly loads and plays all the above Blu-ray titles.

2. Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples including "Mr. Poppers Penguins (BD, 2012)", "Dragons Gift of the Night Fury (BD, 2012)", "Human Planet (BD, BBC Documentary)" and "Nine Inch Nails, Live - Beside You In Time (BD)".

3. Per the request from the studios, the ISO file playback function has been removed in this firmware version. The previous firmware had the ability to play ISO files, but it was an undocumented function and was never officially announced or supported. Future firmware version will no longer support ISO playback.

Neuromancer's Note: Multi-directory AVCHD is still working in this firmware, but that too may be removed in the future. The AVCHD specifications only require root directory support, not multi-directory support.
post #17353 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess my oppo had its last firmware update!!! It works perfect for me.
post #17354 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

3. Per the request from the studios, the ISO file playback function has been removed in this firmware version. The previous firmware had the ability to play ISO files, but it was an undocumented function and was never officially announced or supported. Future firmware version will no longer support ISO playback.

Now that this is official, can we talk about it now?
I'd love to be able to express my distaste to "the studios". This removes functionality for users who buy a lot of discs and would like to be able to use them as they see fit. It also removes functionality for people who author their own discs (I make lots of family movie discs with iMovie, for example).
What galls me more than anything is the inconsistency of the approach. So it's yes to DLNA streaming and MKV files but no to ISOs. All it does is make people scramble for workarounds. It's a joke.
I understand this has been forced on Oppo from above, and I sympathise with their situation, but any way you look at it it's ridiculous.
Thankfully my system doesn't seem to be affected by the Universal titles bug (I've got a couple of those EU discs but they work fine for me, possibly because I'm on the last beta firmware and not the last official).
post #17355 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

I guess my oppo had its last firmware update!!! It works perfect for me.

For now . . .

Oppo Beta Group
post #17356 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
What next, disabled mp3? God knows how many of those are of an iffy nature!
post #17357 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
What FW version was it when that format was enabled? Was it the September 2011 or July 2011 update?
I am asking because I have a new Oppo in shipment and should arrive on Wednesday. I am wondering if it has the support for the ISO playback OTB
post #17358 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

Now that this is official, can we talk about it now?
I'd love to be able to express my distaste to "the studios". This removes functionality for users who buy a lot of discs and would like to be able to use them as they see fit. It also removes functionality for people who author their own discs (I make lots of family movie discs with iMovie, for example).
What galls me more than anything is the inconsistency of the approach. So it's yes to DLNA streaming and MKV files but no to ISOs. All it does is make people scramble for workarounds. It's a joke.
I understand this has been forced on Oppo from above, and I sympathise with their situation, but any way you look at it it's ridiculous.
Thankfully my system doesn't seem to be affected by the Universal titles bug (I've got a couple of those EU discs but they work fine for me, possibly because I'm on the last beta firmware and not the last official).

Probably best to bring up the examples (like authoring iMovies) to discuss what can be done with current functionality as far as workarounds.

Discussing the studios efforts would probably clog the thread!

Oppo Beta Group
post #17359 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Not to name names or anything, but my new favorite studio is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also frothed at the mouth just the other day when President Obama merely hinted that something MIGHT be just a WEE bit wrong with the current drafting of the proposed SOPA law.

Apparently Rupert really REALLY doesn't like copying (except when scavenging from peoples' private voice mail accounts, of course).

In fact I like that studio SO MUCH that I've decided to only rent their movies, if I need to see them at all. That way they'll stay in circulation where other folks can see them rather than collecting dust on my shelf.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17360 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

What FW version was it when that format was enabled? Was it the September 2011 or July 2011 update?
I am asking because I have a new Oppo in shipment and should arrive on Wednesday. I am wondering if it has the support for the ISO playback OTB

50-0608 last June.

-Bill
post #17361 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

What next, disabled mp3? God knows how many of those are of an iffy nature!

My point exactly. The logical extension of such an approach involves travelling back in time to an era without home networks, USB storage and media players. Players should play tapes or discs and nothing else.
But virtually every single player on the market - every single TV, even - has USB and DLNA functionality and wide codec support. Sony (presumably one of "the studios" involved) makes TVs and Blu-ray players with MKV support (although curiously this hasn't been extended to the PS3). So presumbaly playing ISO files is going too far.
post #17362 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

50-0608 last June.

-Bill

Thank You sir. Hopefully, it will have that already installed.
post #17363 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I think this thread can survive without endless ranting about studios and their actions.

And please do keep in mind that for the time being, BDMV folder support still exists. So this mainly effects DVD's at present.
post #17364 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
DVD-Audio as well. It too was supported as an ISO.
post #17365 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
BDMV folder works but has some glitches. Last 3 BDMV folders I played produced video stuttering and audio loss, though for 1 or 2 seconds and 2 or 3 times during the movie. I am happy with the current software status and will never update it again. I have 2 other BD players, "just in case".

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #17366 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think this thread can survive without endless ranting about studios and their actions.

And please do keep in mind that for the time being, BDMV folder support still exists.

This thread is virtually indestrucable. It'll survive anything. But point taken:-)
Nice to know about the BDMV and AVCHD support. Good information for people considering whether or not to "upgrade".
post #17367 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

Nice to know about the BDMV and AVCHD support. Good information for people considering whether or not to "upgrade".

I will probably not upgrade until I run into a disc that absolutely won't play. I've recently just converted a number of AVCHD to ISO and don't feel like going back. It is so much nicer to have the movie in 1 file.

"The Studios" seems to be hell bent on crippling everything to make it hard for legitimate users. Hopefully someone can modify the firmware to put back ISO playback
post #17368 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM

ok, so I understand that iso won't be supported from local storage, but what about a dvda iso that I burn to a standard dvdr disc?

My main issue is that I want to handle my physical original dvda discs as little as possible. With the new firmware, can I make an iso of a dvda, burn it to a dvdr then play it?
post #17369 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does ripping to ISO remove region coding and as well as the various security thingamabobs on BD's that occassionally require a FW update?

If so, never upgrade FW again. Any disc that has an issue rip to ISO

blairy
post #17370 of 27256 Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hath View Post

ok, so I understand that iso won't be supported from local storage, but what about a dvda iso that I burn to a standard dvdr disc?

My main issue is that I want to handle my physical original dvda discs as little as possible. With the new firmware, can I make an iso of a dvda, burn it to a dvdr then play it?

I've never done this, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Another workaround would be to rip the audio files from the disc as high resolution FLAC files.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player