One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysoundman View Post

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm looking at MKV Merge now. Do you just do the 'start muxing'? What does the program actually do (since it is already mkv?)

Right, just pick your input and and an output file name and go.

It will just copy the MKV as is, no transcoding. But the header fields will be created new and we've found that the utility populates fields that the player needs.

mkvinfo is part of the same package.

mkvmerge also has a header editor. It would be interesting to discover whether we can fixup these files just by editing certain fields in the header rather than recreating the whole file.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19382 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure the best way to post the info that you're asking - but this is what VLC shows me -
Codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (a
Resolution 1920 x 800
Frame rate 23.976216

And I will compare the results after using mkvmerge, thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Could you post the mkvinfo result on the file? As mentioned, running it through mkvmerge is worth a try, and comparing the mkvinfo results before and after would be instructive.

MKV has a couple of pixel dimension attributes and I believe both must be present for the OPPO to be happy; mkvmerge will create them, although it may be possible to do the same thing just by editing the header.

-Bill

post #19383 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I'm not sure the best way to post the info that you're asking - but this is what VLC shows me -
Codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (a
Resolution 1920 x 800
Frame rate 23.976216

And I will compare the results after using mkvmerge, thank you for the suggestion.

I'm looking for some fields that "mkvinfo" shows: both "pixel width and pixel height" as well as "display width and display height". My theory is that the original file has only one set of those fields, whereas the copy that mkvmerge creates will have both.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #19384 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

... I then ordered one of those region-free mod. kits and installed it externally today, but it takes the single USB port (for power) which had my wireless dongle attached there. Was wondering if the Oppo 93 can use a USB hub so I can attach both? ...

I have had no problems with using hubs both unpowered and powered (Belkin, Aptiva, another one I had around which I don't remember ) on the USB ports. I have a small unpowered Belkin hub on the rear port to the region-free mod kit and to the Oppo Wi-fi adapter. It will also support a USB thumb drive.

I do not use USB hard drives powered over that bus with the Oppo. That might be hitting the power limit.

I have an externally powered USB drive attached to the front port for local storage. I use this as it lets me readily detach it from the Oppo and attach it to my computer so I may update the contents. I also have an external USB/eSATA dock which I will use via eSATA once the price of SATA internal drives comes back down as the industry recovers from the Thai floods.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #19385 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Well unfortunately the new file processed thru mkvmerge remains stretched on my display

Using the header editor I see the parameters you mentioned.
Both the original and newly processed files show the same:
Video pixel width and video display width both show 1920 as 'original' and 'current' value.
Similarly, video pixel height and video display height both show 800 for original and current.
(Should I change the height to 1080? Or will that just stretch it?)
Curiously, video display unit is blank (unsigned). I'm assuming it should be '0' to set pixels as the unit. I'll see what that does if I set it.
Also, video aspect ratio type is blank (unsigned).

Quote:

I'm looking for some fields that "mkvinfo" shows: both "pixel width and pixel height" as well as "display width and display height". My theory is that the original file has only one set of those fields, whereas the copy that mkvmerge creates will have both.

-Bill

post #19386 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Anyone try out the US BD release of Game of Thrones?

I'm on the latest official firmware and have seen problems getting the discs to load: that is switching discs cause a black screen and resuming playback after a power cycle also results in a black screen. Power cycling the BD player with the disc out usually gets it going.

Load times are atrocious too. Sometimes quick, sometimes 2-3 minutes before the FBI warning. If not, then black screen.

No problems with any other titles.

BD Live is off, settings are pretty much default.

My problem is long load times as well although I did have a lockup on the 1st try on disc 1. It's worked since then except the load times are still there obviously. I have BD-Live turned off as well.
post #19387 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Well unfortunately the new file processed thru mkvmerge remains stretched on my display

Using the header editor I see the parameters you mentioned.
Both the original and newly processed files show the same:
Video pixel width and video display width both show 1920 as 'original' and 'current' value.
Similarly, video pixel height and video display height both show 800 for original and current.
(Should I change the height to 1080? Or will that just stretch it?)
Curiously, video display unit is blank (unsigned). I'm assuming it should be '0' to set pixels as the unit. I'll see what that does if I set it.
Also, video aspect ratio type is blank (unsigned).

If mkvmerge didn't fix it then I would not mess with the header fields further.

You're using Source Direct? Does 1080p give the same result?

How about switching TV Aspect Ratio between Wide and Wide/Auto?

If none of that makes a difference, could you upload a small sample file? Maybe just a chapter extracted with mkvmerge.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #19388 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Source Direct and 1080p do give the same results.

On my TV, the only picture size mode that lets me view it unstretched is Wide/Fit, but then a portion of the image is clearly missing outside the borders of my display.

Not sure if I'll have the chance to edit out and upload a sample - but I really appreciate the assistance.

Quote:

If mkvmerge didn't fix it then I would not mess with the header fields further.

You're using Source Direct? Does 1080p give the same result?

How about switching TV Aspect Ratio between Wide and Wide/Auto?

If none of that makes a difference, could you upload a small sample file? Maybe just a chapter extracted with mkvmerge.

-Bill

post #19389 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

So anydvd with speed menu is the key for keeping iso software :-)

As I understand it, some newer titles are using a DRM variant called "Screen Pass", which uses BD-Live and Java to select the correct playlists to use. There are also a number of dummy playlists that get used by default if the DRM is removed, so copies will not play properly. This tricky method also seems to upset some legitimate standalone players, even when playing the original disc.

AnyDVD HD with "Speed Menu" can usually determine the correct playlist and then replaces all the tricky menus with single-click access to the proper playlists: result, the ISO should play just fine as it has no navigation trickery or impediments.

It's ironic that the only way to be reasonably certain of correct playback of an original disc is to rip it to ISO with AnyDVD HD and "Speed Menu".

The AnyDVD HD method also works with 3D titles.

It's possible this technique might work well using the BDMV or AVCHD\\BDMV trick, for the moment.
post #19390 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

Anyone know if there is a way to stop the firmware message screen everytime I turn it on? Don't want to upgrade to the newest firmware.

You can turn it off in setup.

Calibration Resources:

post #19391 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

Source Direct and 1080p do give the same results.

On my TV, the only picture size mode that lets me view it unstretched is Wide/Fit, but then a portion of the image is clearly missing outside the borders of my display.

Not sure if I'll have the chance to edit out and upload a sample - but I really appreciate the assistance.

What Bill was asking you to check was the aspect ratio setting IN THE OPPO. That is, in Setup > Video Setup.

Use the new, processed copy of your file, set resolution in the Oppo to explicit 1080p, and try "16:9 Wide/Auto" vs. "16:9 Wide". Wide/Auto should keep the video from being stretched if the meta-data in the file is correct (as it should be now that you've processed it).

You should be using HDMI 1 for video output. The HDMI 1 connector is the one in the middle of the back panel. Be sure Setup > Video Setup > Primary Output is also set to HDMI 1.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #19392 of 27037 Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM

OK Success! Thanks for the clarification. Once I set the resolution to Wide/Auto then the problem is resolved!

I've been through the Oppo settings many times, but never came across the Wide/Auto choice (hence my confusion thinking Bill was referring to my TV setting). But now I realize Wide/Auto will keep any 4:3 picture from stretching out wide - fantastic! I hate when that happens!

BTW This worked for my original mkv file as well, so it's header must be OK.

Thank you everyone, it's great to have such an excellent community helping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

What Bill was asking you to check was the aspect ratio setting IN THE OPPO. That is, in Setup > Video Setup.

Use the new, processed copy of your file, set resolution in the Oppo to explicit 1080p, and try "16:9 Wide/Auto" vs. "16:9 Wide". Wide/Auto should keep the video from being stretched if the meta-data in the file is correct (as it should be now that you've processed it).

You should be using HDMI 1 for video output. The HDMI 1 connector is the one in the middle of the back panel. Be sure Setup > Video Setup > Primary Output is also set to HDMI 1.
--Bob

post #19393 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post

Same problem here. Takes forever to load. What makes it worse is the HBO menu system. You never know what episodes are on what disc. Which is why I'm going to rip all the episodes to ISO so I don't have to waste my time with HBO's BD discs.

I have watched Episode 1 of Game of Thrones once without the In-Episode Guide earlier this week on my BDP-95 without any unusual load time or hang ups and with BD-Live left on. Around Wednesday, we watched most of the Complete Guide features on Disc 3 without any issues. Last night, we watched Episode 1 again but with the In-Episode Guide turned on and didn't have any issues. Using the March 06, 2012 firmware release (Main Version: BDP9x-65-0302, Loader Version: CN0900, and Sub Version: MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)).

BTW, note to any prospective buyers of this unit or the 93. I absolutely love the subtitle shift feature to get the text out of the active window and into the blackness below. It's not just for people using using a 2.35:1Constant Image Height video projection system. I own a Bravia 46XBR2 HDTV and often chose the Oppo (or as my wife and son refer to it as "my precious" [in the tone and manner of Gollum from LOTR]) over our Sony BDP-S350 just for this reason.

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5,
, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds),

post #19394 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The reports on Game of Thrones sound to me like it is having problems doing something it wants to do over the network.

For folks with BD-Live OFF it may be trying networking functions (which it shouldn't even be trying to do with that disabled) and timing out -- again and again -- as it tries to do whatever it is the silly studio programmers have tasked it to do. It may be the trick here is to turn networking off altogether to keep it from even trying.

For folks with BD-Live ON it may be running into server slowness. This is a fairly new release and the studio's servers may not be handling the access load well.

So far, it appears the discs WILL load if you are just patient. Why it is taking so long (a couple minutes) is still a mystery as far as I know. There seem to be some reports of folks getting normal (quick) loading times, but I don't know what the trick is to insure that.

In general, if you have problems loading any disc, it is wise to Erase Persistent Storage before trying again.
--Bob

post #19395 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

OK Success! Thanks for the clarification. Once I set the resolution to Wide/Auto then the problem is resolved!

I've been through the Oppo settings many times, but never came across the Wide/Auto choice (hence my confusion thinking Bill was referring to my TV setting). But now I realize Wide/Auto will keep any 4:3 picture from stretching out wide - fantastic! I hate when that happens!

BTW This worked for my original mkv file as well, so it's header must be OK.

Thank you everyone, it's great to have such an excellent community helping out.

Good! Just so you understand, the player needs to learn the aspect ratio of the content from the meta-data in the file. Obviously if that data is wrong or inconsistent, strange things can happen.

Then the player compares the aspect ratio of the content to the 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio of the output. If the content is not already 16:9, then something needs to happen. Either the player stretches the short dimension so that all 4 edges of the content line up with the 4 edges of the 16:9 output. Or the player provides PADDING on the short dimension to pad out the shape of the content to the 16:9 shape of the output.

The 16:9 Wide setting does the stretch. The 16:9 Wide/Auto setting does the padding. Padding is what you want (in your case) as that preserves the original shape of the content.

As a rule of thumb, use 16:9 Wide/Auto all the time if you are using HD output resolutions (e.g., 1080p) to a 16:9 Display. Use 16:9 Wide if you are using SD output resolutions (e.g., 480i or 480p) to a 16:9 Display, and let your AVR or Display add the necessary padding bars as part of the upscaling it does on that input.
--Bob

post #19396 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM

I had similar issue with "Drive Angry 3D" Blu-ray disk playback - the picture was "squeezed", black padding was added on both sides and there was even some flashing thin bar at the bottom of the screen. But when I changed Oppo's "TV Aspect Ratio" from "16:9 Wide/Auto" setting to "16:9 Wide", it did the trick.
post #19397 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ 3D playback is rather like Source Direct (despite having 1080p set). That can change the application of Wide vs. Wide/Auto.

Nevertheless it shouldn't be as obviously wrong as that. If you still have the disc and can repeat the problem using the current firmware, it would be good to drop OPPO tech support an email with the details. Please remember to include the bar-code number from the disc packaging as that makes it easier for them to be sure they are looking at precisely the same version of the title. Odds are there's something strange about the disc authoring -- screwed up meta-data.
--Bob

post #19398 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes, all OPPO players will accept 50i sources and optionally convert them to 60hz.

-Bill

Thanks for the help/answer.
post #19399 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM

GUYS, COULD SOMEBODY HELP ME, PLEASE?!?! I updated the firmware of my Oppo 93 and not it is not reading ISO 3D anymore!!! HOW CAN I REVERT TO THE FORMER FIRMWARE VERSION?!?!
Really appreciate your help, here.
Helcio
post #19400 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

GUYS, COULD SOMEBODY HELP ME, PLEASE?!?! I updated the firmware of my Oppo 93 and not it is not reading ISO 3D anymore!!! HOW CAN I REVERT TO THE FORMER FIRMWARE VERSION?!?!

Send it to Australia?

Roger

post #19401 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Really appreciate your help, here.
Helcio

Yes, ISO support has been removed from current firmware.

You cannot install previous firmware.

Some have claimed that OPPO can install previous firmware if they have the player itself. Did you buy from OPPO directly or through a dealer? Contact them and see what they say.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #19402 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Send it to Australia?

A most excellent retort!
post #19403 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, ISO support has been removed from current firmware.

You cannot install previous firmware.

Some have claimed that OPPO can install previous firmware if they have the player itself. Did you buy from OPPO directly or through a dealer? Contact them and see what they say.

-Bill

I bought it from a dealer in the US -- problem is I live in BRAZIL! I can't believe that happened! Reading ISOs 3D was this only reason I bought this player! Anyone knows of another freakin player that reads ISO 3Ds?
I'm so pissed!!!!
Helcio
post #19404 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Try contacting Logical Design and see if they can't repair the player.

Alternatively you can see if OPPO is willing to replace your mainboard with another one. You will likely have to be pay for the shipping both ways, or if you are lucky, just back to OPPO since your mainboard is not defective.
post #19405 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Try contacting Logical Design and see if they can't repair the player.

Alternatively you can see if OPPO is willing to replace your mainboard with another one. You will likely have to be pay for the shipping both ways, or if you are lucky, just back to OPPO since your mainboard is not defective.

Thanks a whole lot, Neuromancer. I will try and get ahold of them tomorrow. The company is in Rio, I'm in Sao Paulo. But I'll pay whatever they charge to have that function back again.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again!
post #19406 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks a whole lot, Neuromancer. I will try and get ahold of them tomorrow. The company is in Rio, I'm in Sao Paulo. But I'll pay whatever they charge to have that function back again.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again!

would it not be easier to just buy another player from amazon? The one I received today had 17 firmware on it so it was two behind...
post #19407 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Is there a fast way to change the output resolution? Maybe a button shortcut?
post #19408 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Press RESOLUTION then the UP and DOWN Arrow keys to find the Resolution, then ENTER to select it.
post #19409 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have my player set to tell me about any firmware updates, which it is doing. If I set it to Not tell me about updates, it's not going to automatically download and install updates is it? I don't want to ruin a good thing by accidentally hitting Ok to the update question every time the player boots.

Thanks

post #19410 of 27037 Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Press RESOLUTION then the UP and DOWN Arrow keys to find the Resolution, then ENTER to select it.

It's easier than I thought. I was using my Harmony looking for something else. I now have a dedicated button. Thanks for your reply.
BTW, I tried Netflix in 720p with horrible panning. No better than 1080p. Using last official iso fw.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page