post #20101 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

OPPO will not update the firmware on line without your permission.

Understood htwaits, but in my household there are six other people who might have given 'my' permission. I've turned off the FW message to avoid this. It has happened in the past...get home form work and one of the kids tells me they've updated the firmware in the oppo

blairy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20102 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Understood htwaits, but in my household there are six other people who might have given 'my' permission. I've turned off the FW message to avoid this. It has happened in the past...get home form work and one of the kids tells me they've updated the firmware in the oppo

blairy

I sniffed the traffic when searching for firmware updates from the OPPO and added block rules in my firewall.
post #20103 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Liked: 11
what is LDr fail in display?

I am happy with 110 " wide screen, 3D projector , and DIY audio gears.
post #20104 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jaehong View Post

what is LDr fail in display?

I can only guess but might LDr be something to do with the loader version of the firmware?

What else is happening with the player? Is it frozen? Or can you use it in some way?

If it is something to do with firmware I'm not sure if you should reboot it or not.

blairy
post #20105 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OPPO is looking all the time. The 3rd party service providers have to want to do it too. Blockbuster decided to kick all the manufacturers out and go exclusive with Samsung. My guess is OPPO would have an easier time attracting 3rd parties with a "next player", but we'll see.

A UK magazine, Hi-Fi News, claims in their just issued review of the 95EU (European version) that an iOS and Android control app is coming this summer. That's the only "new feature" rumor that I know of which is floating around right now. Unconfirmed of course.
--Bob

Really? Comments from Oppo on facebook made it sound like iOS (iPhone/iPad) were not seen as favourably as Android due to issues with the manufacturers of the devices - almost to the point that Android was the premier target and that iOS would be forgotten.
post #20106 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mb0 View Post

Too old!? It's a year old.

You mean you bought it a year ago.

The WRT310N dates back to at least 2008 (search for WRT310N with Google.)
post #20107 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

The resale value of Oppo has no peer. And, I just ordered another Oppo 93, this time directly from Oppo on Amazon. But, I will be upgrading the power supplies because, well, I like too.

I think you're confused Talk2me. If you ordered it from Amazon you didn't get it "directly" from Oppo.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #20108 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 13
Is there a video or a good posting that really explains what the BDP-93 can do beyond playing almost every format disk ever made?

Thanks!
post #20109 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I think you're confused Talk2me. If you ordered it from Amazon you didn't get it "directly" from Oppo.

II hadn't noticed it before, but OPPO does sell the player in Amazon Marketplace in the New and Used listings. That would come directly from them.

It's the same price but Amazon's warehoused version has free shipping and OPPO's doesn't. Maybe if Amazon were out of stock? Otherwise there is no benefit to the buyer.

It's better for the seller if you buy via their Marketplace listing rather than from Amazon's warehoused listing; Amazon's cut is quite a bit less. Plus the seller gets compensated for shipping.

Amazon has recently added "fulfilled by Amazon", which is like Marketplace but Amazon does the shipping. I don't know what the percentages are there.

-Bill
post #20110 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK View Post

I am going to get a Dual docking station. Could Oppo see both drives when connected through eSATA?

Yes, Oppo sees both disks in my docking station. But I connected it to Oppo via USB, not eSATA.
post #20111 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

Is there a video or a good posting that really explains what the BDP-93 can do beyond playing almost every format disk ever made?

Thanks!

I don't know of a video. The manual is online, and OPPO's product page and the FAQ linked in my signature have info.

-Bill
post #20112 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM

For owners who have connected Oppo to a dual bay SATA dock through eSATA connection, does Oppo see both HD at the same time?
post #20113 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

II hadn't noticed it before, but OPPO does sell the player in Amazon Marketplace in the New and Used listings. That would come directly from them.

It's the same price but Amazon's warehoused version has free shipping and OPPO's doesn't. Maybe if Amazon were out of stock? Otherwise there is no benefit to the buyer.

It's better for the seller if you buy via their Marketplace listing rather than from Amazon's warehoused listing; Amazon's cut is quite a bit less. Plus the seller gets compensated for shipping.

Amazon has recently added "fulfilled by Amazon", which is like Marketplace but Amazon does the shipping. I don't know what the percentages are there.

-Bill

I see that now. I clicked on the "new" link and it showed a list of sellers. Oppo is included on the list.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #20114 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Really? Comments from Oppo on facebook made it sound like iOS (iPhone/iPad) were not seen as favourably as Android due to issues with the manufacturers of the devices - almost to the point that Android was the premier target and that iOS would be forgotten.

What can I say? It's a press article. They couldn't print it if it wasn't true, right?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20115 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK View Post

For owners who have connected Oppo to a dual bay SATA dock through eSATA connection, does Oppo see both HD at the same time?

Yes, although most prefer USB for it's hot-plugging capability.
post #20116 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Yes, although most prefer USB for it's hot-plugging capability.

And unless they fixed it in a firmware update I'm unaware of, doesn't the Oppo actually work better with the USB connection than eSata?

Perhaps the OP was thinking of the convenience factor by connecting the Oppo VIA eSata due to the cable length limitations, and then use a longer USB cable to a PC to update or upload files? If so, bear in mind that if both connections go hot, eSata takes precedence.

My solution to the above scenario is 2-fold.
a) I use a 4-bay docking station connected via USB to the Oppo, and have a single bay dock connected to the PC. Easy to swap drives.
b) I have a 15-foot USB 3.0 cable ($1.79 from Amazon?!!! Talk about a deal!). Works great and allows for speedy file transfers if I decide to reorganize the ISOs in the multiple drives in the 4-bay dock. I just unplug the USB to Oppo cable on the dock side and plug in the long cable connected to the PC.

Max
post #20117 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I assumed because it shipped out of San Jose and Oppo hq is in Mountain View, and the fact the the Amazon seller is called Oppo. Boy am I really confused!
post #20118 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

blairy

I'd give your kids an A for technical expertise, and you one for forethought.
post #20119 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I assumed because it shipped out of San Jose and Oppo hq is in Mountain View, and the fact the the Amazon seller is called Oppo. Boy am I really confused!

Not really.

But you could have used the OPPO link at the top of every AVS page to order your 93 for exactly the same overall cost. Six of one and six of the other.
post #20120 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not really.

But you could have used the OPPO link at the top of every AVS page to order your 93 for exactly the same overall cost. Six of one and six of the other.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I will remember it.
post #20121 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I currently have a Samsung BD-C3600, which outputs Component video, currently a must-have as my HT is wired for it and my PJ doesn't do HDMI, and 7.1 analog audio out. Is there an advantage going to an Oppo, and is the 95 worth the upcharge? The Samsung does well, but I have no way to A-B an Oppo, unless somebody in my area owns one and would let me do it. My audio system is good, I don't want to leave SQ or PQ on the table.
post #20122 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

I currently have a Samsung BD-C3600, which outputs Component video, currently a must-have as my HT is wired for it and my PJ doesn't do HDMI, and 7.1 analog audio out. Is there an advantage going to an Oppo, and is the 95 worth the upcharge? The Samsung does well, but I have no way to A-B an Oppo, unless somebody in my area owns one and would let me do it. My audio system is good, I don't want to leave SQ or PQ on the table.

The Oppo does good Component video output, but its real strength for video is HDMI video output. Now, most older Blu-ray players have pretty poor Component video output (and newer players don't have HD Component video output at all). So you may very well find the Oppo a step up for Component video.

If you've been reading up on the OPPO you probably know that it has two HDMI outputs and one of them (HDMI 1) takes advantage of extra video processing called QDEO. The Component video output is like the OTHER HDMI output that DOESN'T use QDEO. And Component video is also limited to 1080i or less (not 1080p) for Blu-ray playback and to 480p or 480i (or the equivalent PAL video resolutions) for commercial SD-DVD disc playback.

The Analog audio on the 93 is no slouch by any means -- better than what was on Oppo's prior Blu-ray players for example. But if you are really dedicated to Analog audio, the 95 is something special. If you can afford the difference then that's definitely the way to go. If that's too much of a reach for you, I suspect you'll be delighted with what you get from the 93. There is no difference in video between the 93 and the 95.

Be aware that if you order a 93 or 95 direct from Oppo's web site then you have a 30 day return period, so you can try it out yourself at home, only risking the shipping charges.

ETA: I presume you are aware of the general specifications of the OPPO universal Blu-ray players, such as SACD and DVD-Audio playback, internet service access (e.g. Netflix), and playback of your own media files (e.g., high bit rate music files) either off a directly attached hard drive or via streaming from a DLNA server app running someplace else in your home network. Also OPPO has a well deserved reputation for customer service. My comments above were specifically towards your questions on Component video and Analog audio. The 93 and 95 also support Blu-ray 3D playback, but you'd need a new display to take advantage of that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20123 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd give your kids an A for technical expertise, and you one for forethought.

ROFLMAO

The FW upgrade notice is now definitely off

blairy
post #20124 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Bob, have you done any blind testing on Oppo vs other BD players with 7.1 outputs? A blinded study would be something I could put credence in. I've read enough audio reviews to take non-blinded tests with a 50# bag of rock salt.
post #20125 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

Bob, have you done any blind testing on Oppo vs other BD players with 7.1 outputs? A blinded study would be something I could put credence in. I've read enough audio reviews to take non-blinded tests with a 50# bag of rock salt.

Check the OPPO BDP-95 thread further down this forum where people hang out who do that sort of stuff (including comparisons against the 93). Also on Oppo's web page you'll find links to some reviews which seem quite well done.

I don't use Analog audio myself (except for Beta testing), so I'm basing my comments off of information from people I trust -- including other Beta Testers.

(I use HDMI audio from a 93 into my Anthem Statement D2v with Anthem Room Correction.)
--Bob

post #20126 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi everyone @ avsforum,
I have read th FAQ and found no guidelines against posting modding information; if this contradicts any rules, feel free to remove.

Id just like to report that following the most recent firmware update from Oppo:

From March 6 2012

Main Version: BDP9x-65-0302
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93)

the zone free PRO kit I have from bluraychip.dk that has been working flawlessly for the past two years does not switch the BD zone (A,B,C) anymore, it is instead stuck on A which is the original for the player.

The classic DVD functionality is still zone free, and I can still start the player using the 1,2,3 keys, as well as enable and disable automatic startup via yellow and blue keys respectively.

I have cleaned the internal storage and have executed a restore to firmware defaults for the player to no effect.

If anyone can confirm that they see the problem (or not) it would be much appreciated as well as any suggestion for a solution. I live in US and love European cinema and it is very frustrating not to be able to play almost 1/4th of my collection anymore.

Thanks
Jab.
post #20127 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Have you upgraded the firmware of the PRO kit (not the firmware of the player)? There were problems a while back that were fixed with a firmware update for the mod chip. It was addressed in this forum so a search may help. You can also find information and links here: http://www.opposhop.com.au/oppo-bdp-93us.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcJabba View Post

Hi everyone @ avsforum,
I have read th FAQ and found no guidelines against posting modding information; if this contradicts any rules, feel free to remove.

Id just like to report that following the most recent firmware update from Oppo:

From March 6 2012

the zone free PRO kit I have from bluraychip.dk that has been working flawlessly for the past two years does not switch the BD zone (A,B,C) anymore, it is instead stuck on A which is the original for the player.

The classic DVD functionality is still zone free, and I can still start the player using the 1,2,3 keys, as well as enable and disable automatic startup via yellow and blue keys respectively.

I have cleaned the internal storage and have executed a restore to firmware defaults for the player to no effect.

If anyone can confirm that they see the problem (or not) it would be much appreciated as well as any suggestion for a solution. I live in US and love European cinema and it is very frustrating not to be able to play almost 1/4th of my collection anymore.

Thanks
Jab.

post #20128 of 26943 Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check the OPPO BDP-95 thread further down this forum where people hang out who do that sort of stuff (including comparisons against the 93). Also on Oppo's web page you'll find links to some reviews which seem quite well done.

I don't use Analog audio myself (except for Beta testing), so I'm basing my comments off of information from people I trust -- including other Beta Testers.

(I use HDMI audio from a 93 into my Anthem Statement D2v with Anthem Room Correction.)
--Bob

Sorry if off topic, but I have always wondered if the room correction in mid-fi recievers (or hi-fi if one insists), is comparable to Lyngdorf RP-1?
Damit!! I found out the shipping company (FedEx I think) lost my Oppo 93!
post #20129 of 26943 Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcJabba View Post

Hi everyone @ avsforum,

From March 6 2012

Thanks
Jab.

I upgraded the FW of the mod chip to 1.0g around the middle of last year.

I've upgraded my Oppo to the latest FW and all is working well.

blairy
post #20130 of 26943 Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 32
Player arrived yesterday! Can DEFINITELY see AND hear the difference! My player came already FW updated to the specs above so kinda psyched at getting such a 'fresh unit' as this was packed specifically for me, with included, personalized congratulations letter from Oppo IN the box! Very classy folks there, lemme tell you.

This is a super nice player that I just think is the cats meow...Quality in EVERY last detail from product to packaging. The Netflix app DOES INCLUDE A TRUE SEARCH FEATURE! Major plus where the wife is concerned. Still have Blockbuster on Demand but we use Vudu so as long as it gets replaced with something like Hulu Plus, I say go for it.

I really like the automatic panel light shutting off after I started a movie. Confused why I have a remote and a 'Light' button but the light doesn't come on. Again, no biggie as I use the Harmony anyway. People say they don't need a player built like a tank. Yes they do. Otherwise in 8 mos to 2 years the cheap plastic 'throwaway' BDP they have will break/get broken somehow and then the complaints of an inferior product. With Oppo, built like a tank is terms of endearment meaning high quality, built to last, and is reflected in the price.

Thankyou to Oppo and Tell Magazine!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page