Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #20131 of 27167 Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 957
^ The Light button at bottom right on the remote should do 2 things. It should make the buttons light up on the remote for a few seconds (not very bright; visible in a dark room) and, if the Front Panel display is Off, for example while Pure Mode is enabled, it will also light up the Front Panel display for a few seconds.

If the button lights are not coming on in your remote, get in touch with OPPO and they'll send you a replacement remote.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20132 of 27167 Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
For the gentlemen who is using a Projector that is pre HDMI, the BDP-93/95 were some of the last BDP's that allowed High Definition Output via Component Cables. Players released after December 31st of last year must output Standard Definition over Component Cables. This is all leading up to the Analog Sunset when BDP's released after December, 31 2013 will no longer have any Analog Video Outputs (Component, Composite, S-Video)

So in this respect the OPPO is indeed an excellent choice. However, any Blu-Ray Disc released in 2012 can have an ICT (Image Constraint Token) where all BDP's that can output HD over Component are restricted from doing so and output no higher than 576 lines of resolution.

The whole thing is absurd as it is targeting people who are actually purchasing physical media and will do nothing to slow down widespread piracy of Movies and TV Series copied on Computers. While the Component Output of the OPPO does not benefit from the Marvell Qdeo Video Processor, the Mediatek SOC has been very well implemented by OPPO and the Bench Tests of the Component Output are very good.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #20133 of 27167 Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The only thing I dislike about this player is the lack of lighted buttons on the front panel. Do I have a setting wrong? I always have to turn on the light to find the "eject" button or any other button. And when you throw in a cd with MP3s, you have to turn on your display to "navigate" to what you want to play. Poor design here. Why can't I thow the disc in and hit the "play" button like you would on your car CD player? My Sony 480's ergonomics are much better and the player much more reponsive at 1/5 the price.
post #20134 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

The only thing I dislike about this player is the lack of lighted buttons on the front panel. Do I have a setting wrong? I always have to turn on the light to find the "eject" button or any other button. And when you throw in a cd with MP3s, you have to turn on your display to "navigate" to what you want to play. Poor design here. Why can't I thow the disc in and hit the "play" button like you would on your car CD player? My Sony 480's ergonomics are much better and the player much more reponsive at 1/5 the price.

2" maglight at PepBoys for $5.
post #20135 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

The only thing I dislike about this player is the lack of lighted buttons on the front panel. Do I have a setting wrong?

Buttons on front panel do not light up. Buttons on remote do light up.

Quote:

And when you throw in a cd with MP3s, you have to turn on your display to "navigate" to what you want to play. Poor design here.

Yes that's how it works and that's how it works for every other player or AVR or whatever (iPod) that I've used this functionality with. BTW, the Oppo is too good for boring old MP3, go with flac or wav (uncompressed). Of coures the Oppo has a GOTO function on the remote (unique in my experience) which may solve your problem.

Quote:

Why can't I thow the disc in and hit the "play" button like you would on your car CD player?

There's a setting that alows this (autoplay). You don't even need to hit play, just put the disc in.

Quote:

My Sony 480's ergonomics are much better and the player much more reponsive at 1/5 the price.

If you're happy with a Sony 480 then that's great...for you

blairy
post #20136 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

AVS Admin has confirmed:

Due to copyright circumvention concerns, please limit discussions about firmware hacks for such purposes to private messages as this is not something AVS Forum would wish to promote

you can PM member blairy for this: please do not discuss on the open forum though; Thanks

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #20137 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm currently considering the OPPO 93 to consolidate some equipment and also for the rave reviews I read of it. One question I have is......when you stream NETFLIX thru the OPPO does it stream HD and 5.1 DD. My current Panny does and I want to make sure the OPPO will also. Thanks in advance.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #20138 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The only thing I dislike about this player is the lack of lighted buttons on the front panel. Do I have a setting wrong? I always have to turn on the light to find the "eject" button or any other button. And when you throw in a cd with MP3s, you have to turn on your display to "navigate" to what you want to play. Poor design here. Why can't I thow the disc in and hit the "play" button like you would on uttyour car CD player? My Sony 480's ergonomics are much better and the player much more reponsive at 1/5 the price.

I am not aware of any player that retailed for less than $500 that has lighted buttons on the front panel. Also, there is always the remote.

The Sony 480's ergonomics may be much better, but does it play SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, FLAC, etc. hence this is why it cost 5 times the price of your Sony.

What was your reason for purchasing the Oppo since you seem to be perfectly happy with the Sony?

You bring up to subjective areas of the Sony where you feel it performs better and you want to factor in price. I don't doubt that the Sony may perform better in the areas you mentioned, but what does price have to do with this since it is quite obviouse why the Oppo cost more.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #20139 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

I'm currently considering the OPPO 93 to consolidate some equipment and also for the rave reviews I read of it. One question I have is......when you stream NETFLIX thru the OPPO does it stream HD and 5.1 DD. My current Panny does and I want to make sure the OPPO will also. Thanks in advance.

Netflix implementation on the Oppo is very poor. No 5.1 and just 720P. Any modern BD player for less than 150 bucks will do better if NF is really important to you.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #20140 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

OPPO will not update the firmware on line without your permission.

But every time you power it up, it asks you if you want to do it...

In light of the ISO thing and this constant nagging, there's now a rule in my firewall that prevents my BDP-93 from contacting Oppo to see if there is a new firmware.
post #20141 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

In light of the ISO thing and this constant nagging, there's now a rule in my firewall that prevents my BDP-93 from contacting Oppo to see if there is a new firmware.

Just get into the settings and turn the firmware update notice "OFF"...
- Between that and your firewall settings you have no worries.

Love DIY
post #20142 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

What can I say? It's a press article. They couldn't print it if it wasn't true, right?
--Bob

I just wish they'd hurry up and do it!

I've been asking Oppo about remote control via TCP/IP since I first picked up one as part of the pre-release group in 2010.
post #20143 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Netflix implementation on the Oppo is very poor. No 5.1 and just 720P. Any modern BD player for less than 150 bucks will do better if NF is really important to you.

Is there a firmware update for NF 1080p in the future?
post #20144 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Thanks for the info. NETFLIX on the PANNY 310 is very nicely done. Still debating...I also own a Pioneer BDP-440 so I may just be spending needless money per say on the OPPO. I've just read so much good about them.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #20145 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the info. NETFLIX on the PANNY 310 is very nicely done. Still debating...I also own a Pioneer BDP-440 so I may just be spending needless money per say on the OPPO. I've just read so much good about them.

The Oppo 93 IS good but for many people paying 4 times the price of a modern BD player is not worthy if:

-You mostly play BD disks .
-You have a modern receiver with HDMI.
-You love Netflix and/or Amazon.

If you still play a lot of DVDs, stream audio and video files from local USB or DLNA, play SACD and DVDA and care about a great customer service, go for the Oppo.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #20146 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

If Netflix decides to do so.

-Bill
post #20147 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Why not just tell your OPPO to stop checking?

Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Notification = OFF.

No more announcements on power up. You can still tell the player manually to do a check if you want. Even then, no actual update unless you tell the player to accept an update it finds available.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20148 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't care to power up a $500 player to stream Netflix.

I use a Roku 2 for most streaming. Very high PQ and many sources to stream.

Nice Stuff!
post #20149 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Keep in mind that if you buy direct from OPPO they have a 30 day return policy. So you are only risking the shipping to try it at home and see for yourself why people like it -- and yes, even people who use Netflix for casual viewing.

And of course there are also the folks who use it for VUDU streaming at 1080p with Dolby Digital+ 5.1 audio.
--Bob

post #20150 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Ask Again Later; The Future Is Hazy

post #20151 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I am not aware of any player that retailed for less than $500 that has lighted buttons on the front panel. Also, there is always the remote.

The Sony 480's ergonomics may be much better, but does it play SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, FLAC, etc. hence this is why it cost 5 times the price of your Sony.

What was your reason for purchasing the Oppo since you seem to be perfectly happy with the Sony?

You bring up to subjective areas of the Sony where you feel it performs better and you want to factor in price. I don't doubt that the Sony may perform better in the areas you mentioned, but what does price have to do with this since it is quite obviouse why the Oppo cost more.

If the buttons were offset with a different color marking, they could be found in low light like the Sony line of Blu-Rays. Why not go the extra mile to make the perfect player?? Not sure I said I was perfectly happy with the Sony, (please re-read other post), just frustrated with an obvious ergonomic flaw with a player that costs 5x of other players. As someone who's spent well over a million dollars since 1975 on some of the best gear available, I've probably earned the right to "call em' as I see them"
post #20152 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Buttons on front panel do not light up. Buttons on remote do light up.

There's a setting that alows this (autoplay). You don't even need to hit play, just put the disc in.

If you're happy with a Sony 480 then that's great...for you

blairy

"Autoplay" was set to "on". Put a regular CD in but still have to hit the "play" button so not sure what you mean here.
post #20153 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

"Autoplay" was set to "on". Put a regular CD in but still have to hit the "play" button so not sure what you mean here.

With autoplay enabled, a CD or SACD will start by itself.
post #20154 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

If the buttons were offset with a different color marking, they could be found in low light like the Sony line of Blu-Rays. Why not go the extra mile to make the perfect player?? Not sure I said I was perfectly happy with the Sony, (please re-read other post), just frustrated with an obvious ergonomic flaw with a player that costs 5x of other players. As someone who's spent well over a million dollars since 1975 on some of the best gear available, I've probably earned the right to "call em' as I see them" Sorry I'm not as much of a fanboy as you!

If this is so important to you, why not buy some florescent markers and color the buttons yourself, and let the rest of us enjoy the sleek look of our Oppos? I'm sure if you looked in any Dollar Store, you could buy some stickers you could put on the buttons.
post #20155 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

If one is running a HTiB setup (nothing wrong with that) with a 32" HDTV, then the Oppo is overkill and won't be able to be appreciated as it was designed. However, if you are fortunate enough to have all high end equipment that can utilize it, then the Oppo is the 1st (and really only logical) choice to make.

Can you name me one Blu-ray player that has Source Direct and allows you change the position of subtitles?
post #20156 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

If Netflix decides to do so.

-Bill

Netflix already streams 1080p (or something close to it, but not exactly blu-ray caliber). So, why is it up to Netflix what Oppo offers?
post #20157 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Netflix alrady streams 1080p (or something close to it, but not exactly blu-ray caliber. So, why is it up to Netflix what Oppo offers?

All of these streaming hosts have a certification program for aquiring their app. You apply, and its up to them to respond. They all seem to gravitate to who sells the most boxes. It has nothing to do with any BD player company other then exclusives, money thrown around, and favortism IMHO.

Oppo Beta Group
post #20158 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Netflix alrady streams 1080p (or something close to it, but not exactly blu-ray caliber. So, why is it up to Netflix what Oppo offers?

Netflix decides which devices get what level of service, and even what interface.

-Bill
post #20159 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The code in the Netflix app on the OPPO is produced by Netflix. The version they've provided to OPPO is not the newest version.

It's not a technical limitation in the OPPO, as evidenced by the VUDU-provided app, which is simply a better app.
--Bob

post #20160 of 27167 Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
haha that was certainly quick responses!

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page