Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 675 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread

Blu-ray Players

mosh-afl's Avatar mosh-afl
09:19 PM Liked: 10
post #20221 of 27268
04-10-2012 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Your WDTV is a NAS (SMB) server. It 'serves' the attached disc, as 'shares',
to the (Windows) clients on your network.

Your Windows' PC's are NAS (SMB) clients. That is, they can use the shares
provided by your WDTV, as you've discovered.

I don't think so. Everything's working as designed. The only limitation is the
BDP-93 doesn't have firmware which would let it use your shares.

Oppo doesn't do shares but it does act like a DLNA client. Your WDTV is a
DLNA server. That's exactly what's needed.

Sorry, I shouldn't have been so technical. It's just what I do for a living.

Thanks for your relpy! I think I understand what your saying, but if my WDTV is a DLNA server, why won't the OPPA (client) pick it up over the network? I have a feeling I will have to buy a NAS with a built in server.. something like this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280

that way my WD TV will pick it up under 'media servers' and hopefully the OPPO will too. atm, I think the HD is just being shared under 'shared drives' (which is why the oppo is not picking it up).??

Thanks again
Joseph MAK's Avatar Joseph MAK
10:29 PM Liked: 10
post #20222 of 27268
04-10-2012 | Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

And unless they fixed it in a firmware update I'm unaware of, doesn't the Oppo actually work better with the USB connection than eSata?
Max

Hi djbluemax,

I haven't tried USB connection yet.

I am using eSATA simply because I assumed eSATA was a more stable connection as compared to USB.

Ocassionally, I experienced drop out/stutter, so your comment on USB over eSATA interested me. I will try the USB route in the next few days to see if it performs better.

Thanks.
IanD's Avatar IanD
01:17 AM Liked: 23
post #20223 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK View Post

I am using eSATA simply because I assumed eSATA was a more stable connection as compared to USB.

Ocassionally, I experienced drop out/stutter, so your comment on USB over eSATA interested me.

It's difficult to understand why eSATA or USB results in drop out/stutter as the HDD usually have a 32MB-64MB cache which should provide 8-16 seconds of buffering at a 32Mb/s average Bluray datarate.
Hamilcar Barca's Avatar Hamilcar Barca
09:18 AM Liked: 21
post #20224 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh-afl View Post

but if my WDTV is a DLNA server, why won't the OPPA (client) pick it up over the network?

Sorry, I was almost certainly mistaken. My WDTV is a DLNA client.
I don't know what I was thinking.

Quote:

I have a feeling I will have to buy a NAS with a built in server..
something like this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280

That's what I had until I dropped a heavy object onto it. Now, it's a
MyBook Dead.

Another possibility discussed here and in the BDP-83 DLNA thread is to run a
DLNA client on your PC.

Quote:

I think the HD is just being shared under 'shared drives' (which is why the
oppo is not picking it up).

Your Oppo won't see any hard drive, whether 'shared' through Windows'
standard protocol (SMB, now known as CIFS), NFS, or any other method; it
can't use the filesystem (FAT32, NTFS, etc.) on such a 'share'.

It will see a DLNA server as it's a DLNA client.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau
12:27 PM Liked: 980
post #20225 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 27,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

Is there a post or webpage that describes what the Oppo can do other than play discs and stream Netflix?

I'm awed by the quality of the Oppo and want to start figuring out what else this unit can do.

At the top of the first post of this thread, check out the links to the FAQ and Wiki write ups. That should give you a starting point.
--Bob
Splicer010's Avatar Splicer010
01:18 PM Liked: 32
post #20226 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 7,819
Anyone else having issues with YouTube not working and just the logo comes up and basically bricks the player unless a power cycle is performed?

This on top of this player having video only dropouts via when simply powering it on? No issue on anything else. Tried different outputs (HDMI) same results. Set every possible stting in the AVR (4310) to no avail. Only thing I haven't done is connect directly to TV. And that is because everything MUST run thru the AVR as no access to the TV panel now.
01:21 PM Liked: 980
post #20227 of 27268
^ It just got reported in the 95 thread that the YouTube "Leanback" service (i.e., what the YouTube app does on the OPPO) is broken at the moment.

OPPO is working the issue with Google. Since the service worked fine with this OPPO firmware earlier, odds are Google has screwed up something on the server side.

--------------------------------------------------------

For your Audio/Video issues on power up, two common things to try are to check your HDMI connections -- both ends of all cables all the way to the display -- to see that plugs are still fully inserted into sockets without being tugged in any direction.

Also try a different order for powering things up. The order that usually works best is reverse order of the data flow: TV first, then wait, then AVR, then wait, then player.

Finally try a reduced bandwidth signal to see if that works reliably -- e.g., 1080i output from the player. If so, but 1080p still gives problems, then that's strong evidence of marginal HDMI cabling.
--Bob
01:53 PM Liked: 32
post #20228 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 7,819
Didn't think of changing the output to 1080i...Worth a shot as a last resort. Thanks.

Also, if the unofficial FAQ is from you Bob, very nicely done. If not you...still it is very nicely done.
02:00 PM Liked: 980
post #20229 of 27268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Didn't think of changing the output to 1080i...Worth a shot as a last resort. Thanks.

Also, if the unofficial FAQ is from you Bob, very nicely done. If not you...still it is very nicely done.

Nope. Bill is FAQMeister. The Wiki is a combined effort of course.
--Bob
Hubertoliver's Avatar Hubertoliver
09:15 PM Liked: 31
post #20230 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 264
Mine came today. what little I've been able use it I'm very pleased.

UPDATE:
I've done some more listening, viewing, and getting it on my network so it could update. I played a few tracks from Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD and was absolutely stunned by the audio. I've sampled nothing but blurays and 3D blurays and was taken by how this unit preforms, next step is to try it with a DVD. I was not impressed by how it handled NETFLIX but since I raised this question earlier on here I tried NF thru my LED display and I have to admit at this point the LED display does better than the OPPO with NF. Having only been an owner for 11 hours I think I made great choice in choosing an OPPO. Thanks to everyone for all the good reading on here.
mosh-afl's Avatar mosh-afl
10:27 PM Liked: 10
post #20231 of 27268
04-11-2012 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Sorry, I was almost certainly mistaken. My WDTV is a DLNA client.
I don't know what I was thinking.
That's what I had until I dropped a heavy object onto it. Now, it's a
MyBook Dead.
Another possibility discussed here and in the BDP-83 DLNA thread is to run a
DLNA client on your PC.
Your Oppo won't see any hard drive, whether 'shared' through Windows'
standard protocol (SMB, now known as CIFS), NFS, or any other method; it
can't use the filesystem (FAT32, NTFS, etc.) on such a 'share'.

It will see a DLNA server as it's a DLNA client.

No problem! thats what I thought. I don't really want to have my PC on running a server all the time, so I think my best option will be the WD My book live! Good to hear you agree with me, cant wait to have the OPPO access all my 1TB of high def .mkv's!

Thanks for all your help!
sensui's Avatar sensui
03:17 AM Liked: 13
post #20232 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcJabba View Post

Hi everyone @ avsforum,
I have read th FAQ and found no guidelines against posting modding information; if this contradicts any rules, feel free to remove.

Id just like to report that following the most recent firmware update from Oppo:

From March 6 2012

Main Version: BDP9x-65-0302
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93)

the zone free PRO kit I have from bluraychip.dk that has been working flawlessly for the past two years does not switch the BD zone (A,B,C) anymore, it is instead stuck on A which is the original for the player.

The classic DVD functionality is still zone free, and I can still start the player using the 1,2,3 keys, as well as enable and disable automatic startup via yellow and blue keys respectively.

I have cleaned the internal storage and have executed a restore to firmware defaults for the player to no effect.

If anyone can confirm that they see the problem (or not) it would be much appreciated as well as any suggestion for a solution. I live in US and love European cinema and it is very frustrating not to be able to play almost 1/4th of my collection anymore.

Thanks
Jab.

Hmmmm don't know if it's the same problem, but tonight I just had problems with my bluray.dk region chip (pro version) for the first time....I'm on the latest official firmware that supports iso loading still from December:

1) Noticed at first I am stuck on region B as all of a sudden none of my region A discs will play.
2) Tried multiple times with no success to switch regions from standby with 1 or even 3 (for region C), the region remains at B.
3) Did the 0770 code in setup and saw that it was stuck at region B DVD 0....pushed ok and it resetted to region A DVD 1.....which is normal.
4) Tried 1, 2, 3 from standby, nothing would change DVD region to 0 and no change in BD region......blue and yellow works to toggle power on or not still...
5) For the hell of it (since I bought the chip after 1.0g was released...like a month later), I did a 1.0g upgrade and it seemed to upgrade successfully....plugged into the front, usb stick light flashed for about 10-15 seconds, and then just stopped on the oppo screen....waited another 20 seconds and shut off the player....no effect.
6) Powered off player, tried to clear persistent data etc of course and still had no luck in changing regions.

Any of you guys using the dk chip know what's going on? Anything else you guys can think of trying? What a bummer too....I had the chip less than a year I think.....everything was working perfectly till tonight apparently.
blairy's Avatar blairy
04:21 AM Liked: 13
post #20233 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post

Hmmmm don't know if it's the same problem, but tonight I just had problems with my bluray.dk region chip (pro version) for the first time....I'm on the latest official firmware that supports iso loading still from December:

1) Noticed at first I am stuck on region B as all of a sudden none of my region A discs will play.
2) Tried multiple times with no success to switch regions from standby with 1 or even 3 (for region C), the region remains at B.
3) Did the 0770 code in setup and saw that it was stuck at region B DVD 0....pushed ok and it resetted to region A DVD 1.....which is normal.
4) Tried 1, 2, 3 from standby, nothing would change DVD region to 0 and no change in BD region......blue and yellow works to toggle power on or not still...
5) For the hell of it (since I bought the chip after 1.0g was released...like a month later), I did a 1.0g upgrade and it seemed to upgrade successfully....plugged into the front, usb stick light flashed for about 10-15 seconds, and then just stopped on the oppo screen....waited another 20 seconds and shut off the player....no effect.
6) Powered off player, tried to clear persistent data etc of course and still had no luck in changing regions.

Any of you guys using the dk chip know what's going on? Anything else you guys can think of trying? What a bummer too....I had the chip less than a year I think.....everything was working perfectly till tonight apparently.

When you do the 1.0G update make sure there is nothing connected to USB, eSATA or ethernet.

I'm using the same mod chip, with 1.0G and the same Oppo FW as you; no probs.

blairy
sensui's Avatar sensui
04:35 AM Liked: 13
post #20234 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

When you do the 1.0G update make sure there is nothing connected to USB, eSATA or ethernet.

I'm using the same mod chip, with 1.0G and the same Oppo FW as you; no probs.

blairy

Yeah thanks, nothing is connected....and actually I got in touch with Casper from bluray.dk.....he's been helpful in troubleshooting and sending me 1.0h which is the pro version firmware.....I updated to that and it's still no go.....going to take it apart tomorrow to see what's going on per his suggestion but it looks like he'll send me a replacement but wants me to check what files are on the usb stick first on the chip. It's weird that it just stopped working suddenly like this.
08:12 AM Liked: 32
post #20235 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 7,819
Quote:

Well so much for that idea. I have done everything possible to reduce bandwidth, turned off 3D, etc...etc...to no avail. Watching a Netflix movie last nite (Fork in the Road, recommended flick ) the video (but NOT audio) dropouts got so bad, and I got so frustrated, I watched the last 3/4's of the movie on my LG BD570 and had flawless viewing. No video drop outs or even hint of a drop out.

And also, the problem was the worst I had experienced yet. Some dropouts were short (not so sweet) and others were a good solid 2-3-4 seconds long where audio played beautifully but I had no idea what was happening since I couldn't see what was going on. I spent more time rewinding (and unable to recreate the dropout which tells me it is the Oppo) that first part of the movie, I didn't get it finished till 2AM...I started it at 11:30 and it is a 90 or so minute movie. However, if I just let it play, the dropouts, tho unpredictable timing, surely reoccured over and over again.

Gotta admit, with the backlight not working on the remote, and the video dropouts, and the YouTube bricking the player untill power cycled, well, the bad is outweighing the good, as the frustration levels are very high right now. Picture (when not dropping out) and audio are both pristine and I couldn't ask for any more. But with a really nice 73" Mits DLP, Denon 4310CI, APC power conditioner, and never an issue with the Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD player, the LG BD570 blu-ray player, and a Sony DVD recorder, this leaves the Oppo as being the culprit.

I suppose I should contact Oppo...hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but gee whiz, this is driving me crazy. Then I have the family saying "So the Oppo isn't as great as you told us", it gets on a mans nerves...

And finally, why hasn't anyone said anything about the YouTube app? It is in the 95 thread, but not here in the 93 thread and not a word from Oppo? If something wasn't right with the LG BD570, that forum would be a flurry of activity and posts untill it was corrected.
Jacob305's Avatar Jacob305
08:24 AM Liked: 24
post #20236 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 2,433
Quote:

Well so much for that idea. I have done everything possible to reduce bandwidth, turned off 3D, etc...etc...to no avail. Watching a Netflix movie last nite (Fork in the Road, recommended flick ) the video (but NOT audio) dropouts got so bad, and I got so frustrated, I watched the last 3/4's of the movie on my LG BD570 and had flawless viewing. No video drop outs or even hint of a drop out.

And also, the problem was the worst I had experienced yet. Some dropouts were short (not so sweet) and others were a good solid 2-3-4 seconds long where audio played beautifully but I had no idea what was happening since I couldn't see what was going on. I spent more time rewinding (and unable to recreate the dropout which tells me it is the Oppo) that first part of the movie, I didn't get it finished till 2AM...I started it at 11:30 and it is a 90 or so minute movie. However, if I just let it play, the dropouts, tho unpredictable timing, surely reoccured over and over again.

Gotta admit, with the backlight not working on the remote, and the video dropouts, and the YouTube bricking the player untill power cycled, well, the bad is outweighing the good, as the frustration levels are very high right now. Picture (when not dropping out) and audio are both pristine and I couldn't ask for any more. But with a really nice 73" Mits DLP, Denon 4310CI, APC power conditioner, and never an issue with the Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD player, the LG BD570 blu-ray player, and a Sony DVD recorder, this leaves the Oppo as being the culprit.

I suppose I should contact Oppo...hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but gee whiz, this is driving me crazy. Then I have the family saying "So the Oppo isn't as great as you told us", it gets on a mans nerves...

And finally, why hasn't anyone said anything about the YouTube app? It is in the 95 thread, but not here in the 93 thread and not a word from Oppo? If something wasn't right with the LG BD570, that forum would be a flurry of activity and posts untill it was corrected.

call oppo or contact them through email. they can help you.
they did mention that the youtube was not working and they were working on it. to be honest. its not that good of a program.

Jacob
08:47 AM Liked: 32
post #20237 of 27268
I will be contacting them here shortly.

As for YouTube, while I agree, it isn't the best, the 93 has limited apps to begin with and I just want them to all be functional is all. My daughter uses YouTube on the big screen and sound system all the time, moreso than I do, and is a necessary evil...
Jacob305's Avatar Jacob305
08:51 AM Liked: 24
post #20238 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 2,433
Quote:

I will be contacting them here shortly.

As for YouTube, while I agree, it isn't the best, the 93 has limited apps to begin with and I just want them to all be functional is all. My daughter uses YouTube on the big screen and sound system all the time, moreso than I do, and is a necessary evil...

my direct tv has a better one. I use that from time to time.
I mostly use vudu and netflix on my oppo 93. I remember having problems with the netflix on an lcd with the 120 refresh rate. I switched to plasma and no problems now.
Jacob
CatBus's Avatar CatBus
10:41 AM Liked: 26
post #20239 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 464
Quote:

Watching a Netflix movie last nite (Fork in the Road, recommended flick ) the video (but NOT audio) dropouts got so bad, and I got so frustrated, I watched the last 3/4's of the movie on my LG BD570 and had flawless viewing. No video drop outs or even hint of a drop out.

Are you using wireless? Try wired, just for testing purposes. Two of the 93's weaker spots could be combining to make this happen. Weak wireless means that an already taxed wireless network could be marginal, and an old Netflix app may not buffer data as well, resulting in dropouts. Audio uses less data than video, so audio continuing while video drops out seems to indicate to me it's a buffer exhaustion problem.

That said, much as I love the 93, Netflix is its weakest offering. If you have another streaming device, it's likely to have a better Netflix app than the 93 and I'd use it instead (even when the 93's app is working well and without dropouts).
12:47 PM Liked: 32
post #20240 of 27268
You guys that say the Netflix app is weak, are killing me.

My LG BD570 has limited search based on suggestions for me, and the Oppo BDP-93 has that plus full search plus a nicer format. From what I understand it is difficult to get full search for NF minus the PS3 and one or 2 others. Not to mention the LG version of the app is about 4 or 5 updates behind so it is older and with no problems...wireless too.

As for the buffering, that isn't it as then audio would be included since they buffer together and not seperately. And my 'N' network is far from being overtaxed as the Oppo was the only device (wireless) in use. Speed really isn't an issue for my network or the Oppo. But thanks for the suggestion. I will be calling shortly and see what Oppo has to offer on the situation.

I feel bad about complaining as I won this player in a recent Oppo give-a-way, thus the part about looking a gift horse in the mouth comment earlier.
01:17 PM Liked: 980
post #20241 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 27,951
^ It is unlikely your problem is Netflix (either the server side or the app) as problems in their content files would be repeatable -- same video dropout every time when playing the same scene -- and problems with their servers would mean both audio AND video would be affected.

Also, Wifi issues are precluded since you are only getting video dropouts.

Loss of just video sounds like an HDMI retry due to failure of the periodic copy protection tests on HDMI -- basically a form of HDMI handshake failure that happens every few minutes while you are playing content.

I forget the details of how you have the system wired up, but try connecting HDMI 1 from the player directly to the TV with *NO* connection to the AVR and then play a Netlfix stream. Of course you will get no audio (unless you use speakers built-into the display), but the thing you are looking for is whether you still get video dropouts.

I.e., if you are currently wired for video through the AVR, move the HDMI Display output cable from the back of the AVR to HDMI 1 output on the OPPO and run nothing from the OPPO to the AVR, and nothing from the AVR to the Display.

Try this first with the OPPO set to Deep Color OFF and Resolution 480p. 480p (not 480i) is the "simplest" HDMI signal. Then try 1080i. And if both of those work without dropouts then try 1080p.

If *THAT* works, then leave that display cable attached to HDMI 1 in the OPPO and run HDMI 2 from the OPPO to the AVR. NOTE: At this point there is still NO cable running form the AVR to the display. Now try again and see if you still get video dropouts. You'll have audio in the AVR over that HDMI 2 connection.

Again, this is all diagnostic. We're trying to sort out what combination of hardware and cabling is producing your HDMI handshake failures.

If the direct connection from OPPO HDMI 1 to the Display still results in video dropouts (no other HDMI connections), then we need to focus on what's going wrong with that HDMI connection. It would be best to test this with a Blu-ray disc, since Netflix can, of course, have their own, random service problems that can confuse such testing.

----------------------------------------

The YouTube thing is a red herring of course. I've already posted that Google is having a service problem at the moment, and OPPO is working the issue with them.
--Bob
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
01:57 PM Liked: 481
post #20242 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:

I suppose I should contact Oppo...

You think?

... or follow Bob's diagnostic suggestions very carefully.
jeff1947's Avatar jeff1947
02:06 PM Liked: 11
post #20243 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 32
When I play any BR with DTS HD MA, I hear what sounds like audio drop-outs and/or sounds like the people talking are burping.
My AV receiver only supports 'standard DTS 5.1' using coax. It does not have any HDMI capability.

Re: firmware -0302 -
5.Resolved the audio channel loss issue where DTS-HD MA 6.1 audio is decoded as 5.1 for both the analog audio outputs and the HDMI LPCM output. Sample titles include "Star Wars: The Complete Saga (BD, 2011)" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (BD, 2011)". The reason is the Center Surround (CS) channel is folded into Surround channels (SR/SL) instead of Surround Back channels (SBR/SBL). This firmware decodes this 6.1 audio as 7.1 by distributing the CS channel to the SBR/SBL channels, and send out through HDMI and analog audio outputs.

Is this what the firmware 0302 is supposed to fix?
Or should I get a new more capable AV unit?
Or do I need to update to 0302 regardless of a newer/better AV with at least 6.1 or 7.1 audio capability?

Kind Regards to all, thanks for your help.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
02:40 PM Liked: 257
post #20244 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 16,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1947 View Post

When I play any BR with DTS HD MA, I hear what sounds like audio drop-outs and/or sounds like the people talking are burping.
My AV receiver only supports 'standard DTS 5.1' using coax. It does not have any HDMI capability.

5.Resolved the audio channel loss issue where DTS-HD MA 6.1 audio is decoded as 5.1 for both the analog audio outputs and the HDMI LPCM output. Sample titles include "Star Wars: The Complete Saga (BD, 2011)" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (BD, 2011)". The reason is the Center Surround (CS) channel is folded into Surround channels (SR/SL) instead of Surround Back channels (SBR/SBL). This firmware decodes this 6.1 audio as 7.1 by distributing the CS channel to the SBR/SBL channels, and send out through HDMI and analog audio outputs.

Or do I need to update to 0302 regardless of a newer/better AV with at least 6.1 or 7.1 audio capability?

Doubtful that the firmware update will fix your DTS issue, since it's likely an issue with your AVR. Bitstreaming DTS over SPDIF doesn't really allow the player to fiddle with the audio at all. That said, updating firmware won't hurt either.
02:42 PM Liked: 980
post #20245 of 27268
Quote:

When you use Optical or Coax (S/PDIF) cabling for audio, and play a DTS-HD MA track from a Blu-ray disc, what you are actually playing is the traditional, lossy, regular old DTS 5.1 track that is EMBEDDED inside that DTS-HD MA track for just such compatibility purposes. S/PDIF cabling is not able to carry the higher bandwidth DTS-HD MA Bitstream, and can't carry more than a 5.1 discrete channel track anyway.

Which means the bug fix you cited from the 0302 firmware notes doesn't apply in your setup. Of course, my recommendation would be that you use up to date firmware anyway.

Now, playing that traditional, DTS 5.1 "compatibility" track over Optical or Coax S/PDIF cabling should be a piece of cake. This is commodity technology and there are very few ways it can get screwed up.

One way is if you have a faulty or unshielded Coax cable, or a faulty Optical cable (perhaps with dirt or finger prints on the optical tip at either end). A Coax cable should be a shielded cable. Optical cables in particular can also be damaged if kinked around a corner or stepped on.

Another is that you have a problem in the socket at either end, such as a piece of dirt in an Optical socket, or corrosion on a Coax socket.

Another is if your Receiver is having trouble keeping track of the incoming digital audio stream. Look for a feature in the Receiver that causes it to automatically detect whether digital audio input is active or not and disable that so that it ALWAYS thinks the digital audio input is active. Such a feature would typically switch the receiver to a DIFFERENT input if it thinks the incoming digital audio has gone away, and then of course it has to switch back when it realizes the digital audio has not gone away.

If your Receiver is old enough, I suppose it might have a faulty DTS decoder. Try playing a Blu-ray disc with a TrueHD track. Just as with DTS-HD MA, what you'll actually get is a "compatibility" audio track, but in this case it will be Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of DTS 5.1.

Or try playing some SD-DVDs with DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 tracks.
--Bob
05:07 PM Liked: 11
post #20246 of 27268
rdgrimes, bob - Thanks for your replies.

1) I cleaned and re-seated the digital audio coax (it's not really coax like I'm used to seeing [RF], looks like high end RCA type stuff) on both ends.

2) There is no setting on my AVR that automatically detects whether digital audio input is active or not and so I can't 'disable' that so that it ALWAYS thinks the digital audio input is active.
2a) But there is a knob to put/force/keep AVR into DTS mode (there is a DTS indicator which glows when DTS media is detected), which I did and I still get garbled/burping.

3) I have never had an issue playing DVD's w/ DTS 5.1.

4) I have the stuttering/garbled/burping on the BR's HUGO (DTS HD) and IN TIME (DTS HD MA).

5) I do NOT have any problem with BOURNE IDENTITY BluRay ('supposedly' DTS HD MA).

Thanks for all your help
05:34 PM Liked: 980
post #20247 of 27268
^ Give OPPO tech support a call with the info on the discs giving you problems and also with the model info on your Receiver. It's possible they may have history with that receiver.

Keep in mind that OPPO made SD-DVD players before their current Blu-ray players, so their history goes back a ways.
--Bob
06:23 PM Liked: 11
post #20248 of 27268
I will contact OPPO Tech support.

I can also play AVATAR BR Extended Collector's Edition (DTS HD MA) and the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition (the Swedish sound track is DTS HD MA) without issues. I'm beginning to think it is more related to HUGO and IN TIME?
But I was really hoping you would say 'it's time to get a newer AVR' (LOL).

In any event, thanks for your time. Regards
IanD's Avatar IanD
08:00 PM Liked: 23
post #20249 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 1,849
Quote:

1) I cleaned and re-seated the digital audio coax (it's not really coax like I'm used to seeing [RF], looks like high end RCA type stuff) on both ends.

Digital audio really does need coaxial cable to operate well and this generally means a thick cable (~6mm) with RCA ends. You can also use a good quality TV antenna lead (the one with screw connectors) and use RCA connectors on the ends instead of the usual TV connectors.

However, if some titles work and others don't I would say the problem is some incompatibility between the specific titles themselves and your AVR. Hugo, I understand, caused a lot of playback issues due to the new DRM it uses although I don't think there were reports of audio issues per se.

Does your AVR support DD as well as DTS? Your comments so far seem to indicate only DTS.

The Oppo has the ability to transcode any soundtrack to DTS, for the coaxial audio output, via a menu option. You might want to engage this and also activate "Secondary Audio" as a test. I believe this will decode any soundtrack to LPCM and then re-encode it to standard DTS in the player. If there is an issue with the DTS being output from certain discs and your AVR, then this might correct it.

Of course, it would be better to update your AVR to take full advantage of the lossless soundtracks on Bluray titles. The AVR doesn't need to decode the lossless codecs: many older AVR with HDMI are capable of decoding multichannel LPCM even if they can't handle TrueHD or DTS-HD and the Oppo can decode any soundtrack to multichannel LPCM and output it via HDMI (effectively doing in the player what the AVR would do). However even the low end AVR now generally handle all lossless audio codecs: I'm just saying don't exclude older AVR with HDMI from consideration if you can get one dirt cheap.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
09:18 PM Liked: 257
post #20250 of 27268
04-12-2012 | Posts: 16,471
Quote:

3) I have never had an issue playing DVD's w/ DTS 5.1.

Not really a fair comparison. By and large, BD movies use a DTS core at 1.5Mb/sec rates, several times more than what most DVDs use. Try a different cable for the sake of troubleshooting.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread