14Likes

post #20521 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you want to use the internal tones of the player, then you will need to remove the disc. The player does not allow for Test Tone generation when there is another set of media which is already being played or loaded.

The receiver may behave differently with an external source than its own internal tones, which is why you need to run external Test Tones to ensure that the trim levels are adjusted properly.

What I'm saying is that the Onkyo does run external tones through all 5.1. I'm assuming the feature on the OPPO does the same thing. The Onkyo is very versatile in allowing for adjustments in each speaker as it relates to trim level and overall tone. I set my rear surrounds a couple of clicks louder than my front left and right, and I set my center a click louder than my fronts. Does the OPPO function this way too? If so, then it's probably a redundant feature. Unless I'm missing something here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH63 View Post

Wouldn't the OPPO and the Onkyo give you the same result running test tones? Or, is one more accurate than the other?

No, they aren't the same. I believe the test tones for the Oppo are only for the analog outputs. They are used to level match the speakers when using the analog inputs of your receiver if that's how your Oppo is connected to it. If you are running HDMI then you will not need to worry about the entire speaker setup process in the Oppo itself. That setup has no affect on the HDMI outputs.
post #20523 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH63 View Post

What I'm saying is that the Onkyo does run external tones through all 5.1. I'm assuming the feature on the OPPO does the same thing. The Onkyo is very versatile in allowing for adjustments in each speaker as it relates to trim level and overall tone. I set my rear surrounds a couple of clicks louder than my front left and right, and I set my center a click louder than my fronts. Does the OPPO function this way too? If so, then it's probably a redundant feature. Unless I'm missing something here.

See my previous post.
post #20524 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

No, they aren't the same. I believe the test tones for the Oppo are only for the analog outputs. They are used to level match the speakers when using the analog inputs of your receiver if that's how your Oppo is connected to it. If you are running HDMI then you will not need to worry about the entire speaker setup process in the Oppo itself. That setup has no affect on the HDMI outputs.

AH! Beautiful. Thank you very much for the clarity. I didn't know if that was an important function I needed to use.
post #20525 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

bob ...let's not forget one of your most used acronyms on avs ... eta! To this day, i have no idea what this means

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob pariseau View Post

edited to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdog View Post

i too was confused as to what that meant until i opened the google search page for internet acronyms.

Everything you ever wanted to know and then some....

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #20526 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

I tried connecting the Oppo directly to the projector's HDMI 2 input; cable run is 20 feet and it would not drive it. May be a loose connection at the PJ, but the Denon won't reliably drive a 20 foot Blue Jeans cable to the PJ either without a HDMI in line amp.

Which Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cable are you using? I am using 45 feet of the Series 1 and it works great with all my sources. 20 feet is not really that long even for the el-cheapo cables one can buy in the stores. I'd check your connections and check your HDMI end-connectors in particular as they are prone to breakage especially with the heavier HDMI cables.
post #20527 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Which Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cable are you using? I am using 45 feet of the Series 1 and it works great with all my sources. 20 feet is not really that long even for the el-cheapo cables one can buy in the stores. I'd check your connections and check your HDMI end-connectors in particular as they are prone to breakage especially with the heavier HDMI cables.

It is the Series FE; my run was too short for Series 1 per their website. I am beginning to think there may be a handshake issue between the Oppo and the PJ. Something is getting to the projector - the screen changes from background blue to black - but no video. Will do some more troubleshooting this weekend. Thanks to all for the advice.
post #20528 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is the Series FE; my run was too short for Series 1 per their website. I am beginning to think there may be a handshake issue between the Oppo and the PJ. Something is getting to the projector - the screen changes from background blue to black - but no video. Will do some more troubleshooting this weekend. Thanks to all for the advice.

I would recommend you get a cable certified for hi-speed for the length of cable you purchase. I don't think the FE series is rated hi speed for 20 feet. If you are trying to pass 1080P and/or 3D, you will probably need a hi-speed rated cable.

If you do decide to buy a different cable, you might want to consider the Monoprice cables too. Just make sure you get the hi-speed versions.
post #20529 of 26959 Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

I'm totally new to the SACD technology.

Can someone tell me how to play SACD's that's ripped to WAV (with CUE file) and also FLAC files?

What surround settings should I have on my receiver?
post #20530 of 26959 Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having trouble with the Youtube app. I just updated to the new firmware the other night, so I am current. To be honest, this is the first time I have even tried the app. There is an American Express Unstaged event with Jack White on Friday night that I would like to watch in the theater. I tried to access some content from Jack White's channel and it wouldn't find anything in the search. If I search it on my computer, everything comes up. So then I tried subscribing to the channel and logging in on the Oppo. Once I did this, the subscribed channels show up, but the videos will not play. It keeps telling me that the video is unavailable even though I can play it fine on the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Tried the same thing with Puscifer's channel (another music group) and didn't have any better luck. Just wondering why I can't seem to play all of the content that is available on the computer on the Oppo.
post #20531 of 26959 Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

Having trouble with the Youtube app. I just updated to the new firmware the other night, so I am current. To be honest, this is the first time I have even tried the app. There is an American Express Unstaged event with Jack White on Friday night that I would like to watch in the theater. I tried to access some content from Jack White's channel and it wouldn't find anything in the search. If I search it on my computer, everything comes up. So then I tried subscribing to the channel and logging in on the Oppo. Once I did this, the subscribed channels show up, but the videos will not play. It keeps telling me that the video is unavailable even though I can play it fine on the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Tried the same thing with Puscifer's channel (another music group) and didn't have any better luck. Just wondering why I can't seem to play all of the content that is available on the computer on the Oppo.

Sometimes streaming services have different rules for what's allowed to stream to a computer vs. a non-computer device.

I suggest you get in touch with OPPO tech support with details on the content that you've found will play on your computer but not on the 93 so they can check out what's up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20532 of 26959 Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post

I'm totally new to the SACD technology.

Can someone tell me how to play SACD's that's ripped to WAV (with CUE file) and also FLAC files?

What surround settings should I have on my receiver?

Check out the user media files portions of the FAQ and Wiki (links available at the top of the first post of this thread). In simple terms, if you can move the FLAC files to a hard drive that you attach to the USB or eSata port on the OPPO then you can browse and play them from Home Menu on the OPPO.

Note in particular the discussion of supported, user media file formats.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20533 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would recommend you get a cable certified for hi-speed for the length of cable you purchase. I don't think the FE series is rated hi speed for 20 feet. If you are trying to pass 1080P and/or 3D, you will probably need a hi-speed rated cable.

If you do decide to buy a different cable, you might want to consider the Monoprice cables too. Just make sure you get the hi-speed versions.

I re-checked my order from Amazon. My memory was wrong about the FE; the one I ordered is: BJC Series-1 High-Speed HDMI Cable, Belden Bonded-Pair, 20 foot, Black.

So, there must be a handshake issue between the Oppo and the projector. The BJC works fine between the Denon and the PJ.
post #20534 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I have an 8 bay mediasonic enclosure with six 2tb drives currently that connects with one usb output. Works flawlessly.

Question for those using Mediasonic enclosures: Do the HDs have to be reformatted to use in the enclosure? I ordered the 8 bay this morning and want to use existing drives and need to know if I need to move everything off them before putting them in the Mediasonic. Thanks.
post #20535 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Question for those using Mediasonic enclosures: Do the HDs have to be reformatted to use in the enclosure? I ordered the 8 bay this morning and want to use existing drives and need to know if I need to move everything off them before putting them in the Mediasonic. Thanks.

Nope, just put the drives in and they should work. As long as its not a 3TB or 4TB HDD and it's formatted NTFS or FAT32 then you'll be fine.

My Mediasonic drive enclosure has been flawless since day 1.
post #20536 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Nope, just put the drives in and they should work. As long as its not a 3TB or 4TB HDD and it's formatted NTFS or FAT32 then you'll be fine.

Great, good to know! All are NTFS. Thanks for putting my mind at ease
post #20537 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If your hard drive is formatted as NTFS ( I'm assuming it is), you will not need to do anything. I have two Mediasonic's, and I love these things.
post #20538 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

One more question. I think I read that the Oppo shows them as one drive. Is that correct? What happens when you open the one drive from Home/Movies? All content from all drives is shown? In what order?
post #20539 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just got my Sony S790 from ABT, to compare to my modded 93. All plastic and cannot compete sq at all. I am strictly 2 channel high-end, and the 93 has a much better transport drive. I have a Wadia DAC and connect it by rca to bnc cable. And streaming? Well besides Netflix and Vudu, I have no use for all those other apps, just fluff to me. I do hope in the future my 93 will be allowed to stream 1080p like quality. The S790 is like all Sony (except PS3), Pannys, LG, Samsungs, etc.. are throw away players. No quality what so ever, all plastic as mentioned. I will keep my 93 and will send back the false pretender.
post #20540 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If they are Blu-rays, then simply extract the ISOs into individual folders. Launch the BDMV folder and the player will play it back like it was a ISO.

No such workaround for DVD.

Wouldn't utilizing DVD_VIDEO folders work the same way?

(I found this forum in the nick of time. I'm a "firmware whore" (upgrade as soon as possible) but in this case, I read information here and still have ISO capability! )
post #20541 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Just got my Sony S790 from ABT, to compare to my modded 93. All plastic and cannot compete sq at all. I am strictly 2 channel high-end, and the 93 has a much better transport drive. I have a Wadia DAC and connect it by rca to bnc cable. And streaming? Well besides Netflix and Vudu, I have no use for all those other apps, just fluff to me. I do hope in the future my 93 will be allowed to stream 1080p like quality. The S790 is like all Sony (except PS3), Pannys, LG, Samsungs, etc.. are throw away players. No quality what so ever, all plastic as mentioned. I will keep my 93 and will send back the false pretender.

Actually, the Sony ES line had decent build quality. I have both a SACD/DVD deck and a MiniDisc deck that were Sony ES and both are quite heavy.
post #20542 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer66 View Post

Wouldn't utilizing DVD_VIDEO folders work the same way?

No, those aren't supported.
post #20543 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Folks: Question about the BDP-93 remote control commands:

Until now I have used the previous Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player. All the commands were programmed into my RTI universal remote control system. I've bought the new BDP-93 and I'm hoping it uses most of the same commands.

In other words: will the old BDP-83 remote control work most of the new BDP-93? If so, I assume the commands in my RTI remote will work with my new BDP-93. (Obviously needing some additions for 3D commands I suppose).

Thanks.
post #20544 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Folks: Question about the BDP-93 remote control commands:

Until now I have used the previous Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player. All the commands were programmed into my RTI universal remote control system. I've bought the new BDP-93 and I'm hoping it uses most of the same commands.

In other words: will the old BDP-83 remote control work most of the new BDP-93? If so, I assume the commands in my RTI remote will work with my new BDP-93. (Obviously needing some additions for 3D commands I suppose).

Thanks.

The 2 remotes are identical.
post #20545 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

One more question. I think I read that the Oppo shows them as one drive. Is that correct? What happens when you open the one drive from Home/Movies? All content from all drives is shown? In what order?

I have a 4 bay Mediasonic enclosure with 2 drive and they show up as individual drives so I have to know which drive contain which movies (HDD#1 always has the latest movies). The contents shows up in alphabetical order (folders first then iso). As far as which order an individual drives will show up, it seems the HDD in the highest numbered bay will appear first in the list when you hit Home.

jidelite
post #20546 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 2 remotes are identical.

That's great. Thank you.
post #20547 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer66 View Post

Actually, the Sony ES line had decent build quality. I have both a SACD/DVD deck and a MiniDisc deck that were Sony ES and both are quite heavy.

Agreed. I think we are on the universal (blu-ray/3D) class of players. But I do not say all Sony products are cheap plastic by any means. I have a fat PS3.
post #20548 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post

I have a 4 bay Mediasonic enclosure with 2 drive and they show up as individual drives so I have to know which drive contain which movies (HDD#1 always has the latest movies). The contents shows up in alphabetical order (folders first then iso). As far as which order an individual drives will show up, it seems the HDD in the highest numbered bay will appear first in the list when you hit Home.

jidelite

Thanks. I wonderd if it behaved like JBOD, but apparently it has an internal USB hub. Safer that way; would hate to have one fail in an 8 disk JBOD.
post #20549 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I re-checked my order from Amazon. My memory was wrong about the FE; the one I ordered is: BJC Series-1 High-Speed HDMI Cable, Belden Bonded-Pair, 20 foot, Black.

So, there must be a handshake issue between the Oppo and the projector. The BJC works fine between the Denon and the PJ.

Strange that one. Hope you figure it out.

I think you can rule out the cable though. If my 45 footer works w/o issues, your 20 footer shouldn't pose any issues unless damaged somehow.

PS: I didn't realize we could get Blue Jeans Cable from Amazon - I've always bought mine from the BJ website.
post #20550 of 26959 Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PS: I didn't realize we could get Blue Jeans Cable from Amazon - I've always bought mine from the BJ website.

Amazon does not have custom lengths. Prices are the same, but I have Amazon Prime, so that saves shipping cost.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page