post #20581 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzy View Post

I have been informed from Oppo Support some weeks ago that they are working on an iOS app. This was connected with my inquiry about enabling Oppo players, particularly the 93, to act as DLNA renderer. They namely said: "The current hardware is not capable of reliable DLNA rendering, but we are working on control and browser apps." and, additionally, "once the app is fully finished that will one of it's functions".
This all is very exciting! I like the interface, but is this the same app Oppo is working on?
If you still need testers, I can participate (iPhone 3G and 4S, Oppo BDP-93EU (no dongles), Anthem AVM 50v, Synology 211j as music storage and DLNA server).

They just need to publish their network protocol. As of now, the only way in is via the serial port and while I have a solution, it's not for everyone. Unless they do something really funny with it, the app I have will work the same serial or network once they enable Ethernet control. I do pretty much the same with my Onkyo app that can do either.

I also found out another tidbit: Apparently Oppo players share the same key for region-free playback. At least two players are sharing the same key, and I bet more do too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20582 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Anyone else have an issue with Netflix movies locking the Oppo up at around the hour mark? Done it twice so far to us since the new FW was installed. Never an issue before.

Just ran into this last night. Goes to rebuffering but nothing ever rebuffers and you can't get out to the Home screen. You have to do a hard power-off and back on. Luckily playback resumes just fine. Also never had this issue before, and I've used streaming through a lot of firmware iterations.
post #20583 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 10
Yeah, I know your first thought might be "why compare a $1000 player to $500 player?" The answer to that is, I work for a Marantz dealer and can purchase product for 1/2 retail with their employee accommodation program. So either player would cost me $500+ shipping.

I currently have a Marantz DV6001 that I use strictly for SACD, stereo and multi-channel. I also have a PS3 that I use for Blu Ray's and Netflix streaming. I want to combine the two to clear up some space as well as get a nicer player all together.

The Marantz was my first choice, but the more I read about the Oppo the more I like them. It would have to be the BDP93, as the 95 is out of my budget.

Any input would be much appreciated, I'm pretty sure the Marantz is the answer but I don't want buyers remorse later down the road.
post #20584 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Integrate View Post

Yeah, I know your first thought might be "why compare a $1000 player to $500 player?"

You may want to read the review of the Marantz UD9004 Universal Blu-ray Player and the Oppo BDP-93 at the Secrets of Home Theater site.
post #20585 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

You may want to read the review of the Marantz UD9004 Universal Blu-ray Player and the Oppo BDP-93 at the Secrets of Home Theater site.

I believe the Marantz has a much better analog audio section than the 93, so if that's important to you, then get the Marantz.They have a long history of excellent analog performance. The video performance is also excellent via HDMI or Component. The Oppo93/95 performed excellent(at least on tests) on video via HDMI but poorly on component video. Again, another point of difference between the two players. Any yes, i like the all copper chassis of the Marantz for maximum EMI rejection. Probably explains the very clean audio spectral plots it displayed.
OTOH, for extra services, like all things streaming and playing various audio streaming codecs, the 93 is best for that.

So it depends on your preferences on what;s important to you...but Oppo's customer service and willingness to fix your problems or adding features via firmware updates is King!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #20586 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM

Hi all,
I have been using my Oppo 93 for months and I couldn't be happier now that ID tag information shows on flac files...

Until the other day I put some more music folders on the NAS and they failed to show up on the Oppo. My first thought was that I needed to resync my NAS drives, so I did that, to no avail!

I was just wondering if it might be possible that there is a maximum number of folders that the Oppo will see... when I look at "properties" on the one folder where all my other music folders reside, the total is 1,400. Suspiciously round number... hmmmm

And I am not even close to being done converting my collection!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

"Life is a minestrone..." - 10cc
post #20587 of 26967 Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I run a DLNA server that is sharing upwards of 1,460 folders just for music, so this is unlikely the cause of your errors.

Try re-indexing the files in the DLNA server that you are using.

Try using an alternative DLNA server to ensure that the error are not related to your specific DLNA server.
post #20588 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM

Hi guys, I'm having some problems updating the firmware on my player. I have a strong hard wired connection, which passes all the connection tests and can connect to the network with no problems.

Only when I try to upgrade the firmware it does not start downloading. (or downloads a very small amount) then comes up with an error 'cannot connect to sever'..

Any suggestions as to what this could be? I've tried a reset factory defaults on the UI, and unplugging it at the wall for a few seconds. Any help or advice would be greAt!

Thanks
post #20589 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh-afl View Post

Hi guys, I'm having some problems updating the firmware on my player. I have a strong hard wired connection, which passes all the connection tests and can connect to the network with no problems.

Only when I try to upgrade the firmware it does not start downloading. (or downloads a very small amount) then comes up with an error 'cannot connect to sever'..

Any suggestions as to what this could be? I've tried a reset factory defaults on the UI, and unplugging it at the wall for a few seconds. Any help or advice would be greAt!

Thanks

This can happen if you have outdated firmware in your Internet modem -- particularly if you are using DSL. The thing is, the service providers update the firmware at their end but don't replace the customer equipment until they get a complaint.

If this sounds like it might be the case for you, get in touch with your service provider and they'll likely be happy to swap out your current internet modem with a more up to date model.

In the meantime, if you have a computer your can download the USB or burned-disc version of the firmware to it and do the install in the player that way.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20590 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have a very up to date netgear modem/router running all the latest firmware. Still no luck with the OPPO firmware update..
post #20591 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh-afl View Post

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have a very up to date netgear modem/router running all the latest firmware. Still no luck with the OPPO firmware update..

Well there aren't many ways the firmware download can be blocked if the Connection Test works without problems. Are other network services working, e.g., Netflix?

I suppose it's possible OPPO is having a problem with the firmware server at the moment.

It might be best to get in touch with OPPO tech support and let them take the next steps on this with you.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20592 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Anyone else have an issue with Netflix movies locking the Oppo up at around the hour mark? Done it twice so far to us since the new FW was installed. Never an issue before.

And it happened again last nite watching a documentary on NF.
post #20593 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm doing a fresh install of windows and installed sharks' x64Components_v361 for my win7 x 64 set up. The movies play back fine in windows media player but my MKV files do not list on my oppo for streaming. I had this working before so I know I must have forgotten to install something.

If you could let me know what I forgot I would appreciate it.
post #20594 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the ideas Neuromancer, I will check into indexing and an alternative DLNA server solution on my NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo-1TB).

"Life is a minestrone..." - 10cc
post #20595 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:

And it happened again last nite watching a documentary on NF.

I'm assuming it'll keep happening until there's a new firmware update. I'm also assuming Oppo already knows about this and is working on it, due to multiple reports, but I haven't contacted them about it. Have you?
post #20596 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'm doing a fresh install of windows and installed sharks' x64Components_v361 for my win7 x 64 set up. The movies play back fine in windows media player but my MKV files do not list on my oppo for streaming. I had this working before so I know I must have forgotten to install something.

The player does not require any codec packs be installed on your computer, since you are streaming the files to the player for decoding and processing, and not your computer.
post #20597 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

I'm assuming it'll keep happening until there's a new firmware update. I'm also assuming Oppo already knows about this and is working on it, due to multiple reports, but I haven't contacted them about it. Have you?

There have been multiple reports of this already and one report of confirmed issues from one of the other Beta Testers, but since these issues are completely random, there are no solutions or ideas as to why they are occurring.
post #20598 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

There have been multiple reports of this already and one report of confirmed issues from one of the other Beta Testers, but since these issues are completely random, there are no solutions or ideas as to why they are occurring.

Could be that for whatever reason Netflix is kicking people off the stream. I've had instances of Concast doing the same thing to me while streaming from Amazon. Point being that as often as not these type issues are at the other end of the pipe.
post #20599 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately there is too little feedback at this time to determine what the issue may be. I personally do not do any Netflix streaming due to the low quality and high compression, so I have not been able to duplicate the issue. May try in the next day or two.
post #20600 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

The player does not require any codec packs be installed on your computer, since you are streaming the files to the player for decoding and processing, and not your computer.

Thanks - any guess on what I need to install on my computer so I can stream from Windows Media Player again? I can stream AVI files - they show up on my oppo but mkv files in the same folder are not listed on my oppo although they are listed in WMP in the library and I can play them back on my computer.
post #20601 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks - any guess on what I need to install on my computer so I can stream from Windows Media Player again? I can stream AVI files - they show up on my oppo but mkv files in the same folder are not listed on my oppo although they are listed in WMP in the library and I can play them back on my computer.

Consult the dedicated thread for DNLA. Virtually any DNLA server software will do a better job than WMP.

If you want to confirm player support for a particular file, drop it on a USB drive and try it that way.
post #20602 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Unfortunately there is too little feedback at this time to determine what the issue may be. I personally do not do any Netflix streaming due to the low quality and high compression, so I have not been able to duplicate the issue. May try in the next day or two.

This problem sounds like the Netflix widget is throwing a fault that is not being handled by the OPPO Firmware.

I had a similar problem last year with my TiVo when there was some kind of network upset that caused the Netflix widget to throw a fault. The TiVo Firmware was not handling the fault and the TiVo hung requiring unplugging and rep lugging to restart.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #20603 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

I notified them on their FB page, but I can't find ANY other instance besides mine... But if Oppo knows, I am certain they will handle it as quickly as possible.

And mine is fairly easy to replicate. Watch an entire presentation of something on NF and then watch another and so far (twice) it locked up about the 50 minute to 1:03 mark. I will try for a third time later tonight maybe.
post #20604 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Try the following reset of the player:

1) Remove any disc. Jot down your settings in Setup.

2) Erase Persistent Storage.

3) Reset Factory Defaults. When the Easy Setup Wizard finishes, power down the player. (The Reset will also clear any current Netflix activation information.)

4) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. Do not skip this step.

5) Power up and re-enter your personal settings (including networking of course).

6) Power down one more time. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

Now power up again, go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, and confirm that all 3 parts of your firmware are up to date. The expected versions are listed in the firmware history portion of the first post of this thread, or on the OPPO Support page for the player. Check the Main, Loader, and Sub/MCU versions.

Now try again to activate Netflix. If it fails again, I think you'll have to work the problem with OPPO tech support. It is possible I suppose that something in your networking (external to the player) is blocking the player from communicating with Netflix.

It is also possible that Netflix is confused and thinks you have already activated the maximum number of devices allowed against your account. But their support should have caught that when you called them. I'm presuming you were not actually streaming Netflix on other devices at the same time you tried to activate the OPPO.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, but after following all of your instructions to the letter, it still won't activate Netflix. I'll call OPPO tech support to see if they can help.
post #20605 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is there any way to stretch 1920x540 content to full screen via my BDP-93? I have some 3D-SBS content that's stored as 1920x540 and I'm getting undesirable results with my reference BDP-93 settings. I'd like the vertical height of the video stretched to 1080 by the BDP-93, while preserving the horizontal. How can I do that?
post #20606 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should be able to get Netflix to manually authorized your player by calling them and providing them with your Netflix ESN (Device Setup).
post #20607 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I notified them on their FB page, but I can't find ANY other instance besides mine...

...and mine, and the beta tester Neuromancer mentioned, so that's 3 total without having to leave this thread. Sounds pretty easy to reproduce to me. Maybe not 100% reliable, and you have to wait an hour to attempt a repro, but that seems pretty promising from a bug-identification point of view.
post #20608 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Is there any way to stretch 1920x540 content to full screen via my BDP-93? I have some 3D-SBS content that's stored as 1920x540 and I'm getting undesirable results with my reference BDP-93 settings. I'd like the vertical height of the video stretched to 1080 by the BDP-93, while preserving the horizontal. How can I do that?

Are you using WIDE or WIDE/AUTO in the player? When I use WIDE I get full screen stretch on all media files, although I have not tested 3D.

-Bill
post #20609 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
From the player's perspective, it's not 3D. Just a bizarre 1920x540 video file. One makes it 3D by telling the TV that it's receiving 3D-SBS video; it's a manual process.

I forgot about that setting, Bill. Thank you for reminding me, I'll try it when I get home. I wonder if I could get around that by tweaking the mkv metadata and specifying an aspect ratio of 16:9. The Oppo BDP-93 respects that, right? Any ideas with which software I could do that, and also since not all the videos are in the mkv container, something easy for re-containerizing video? I realize this is getting off-topic, so I'll stop there.
post #20610 of 26967 Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I ran across my first Blu-ray disc that wouldn't play on the Oppo, the newly released Yessongs BD with a new remixed 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio track. It would spin for about 15 seconds, and then give the message "Wrong Disc". I'm using the Dec. 2011 firmware. The BD is labeled to play in all regions and it does play on my PS3.

I probably won't even pursue this with Oppo because the sound quality of the BD is horrid, and it certainly isn't worth updating the firmware and losing ISO playback for this disc. Just warning anyone that might think of purchasing this BD, don't do it. Not just because it may not play on your Oppo until a firmware update is released that addresses the disc loading problem, but because the SQ is that bad. You can read my review of it in the Surround Music forum.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page