6Likes

post #20761 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Just set Secondary Audio to OFF and HDMI Audio to Bit Steam (Audio Format Setup) and you are good to go.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20762 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Please do not discuss nor post links to unauthorized firmware. Future posts will be deleted and infractions issued.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #20763 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ OK, I understand why you did it ( for convenience), but be aware that the video from the OPPO will be EVEN BETTER if, at some point down the road, you re-calibrate using the OPPO at its default (0) values for Brightness and Contrast.

ETA: And the new calibration results based on the OPPO default settings should be closer to "correct" for other Sources as well, except of course for that Panasonic.
--Bob

Why would the video be any different? If I used the default settings, which is what I would use if that were my only player, then all of my other players would be off. I have 2 other Panasonics and a Toshiba HD-DVD player which all use the same brightness and contrast settings. The Oppo is the only one that is different.
I am not trying to be argumentative, I would just like to get the best out of the system. I had a Lumagen before and that is how I thought it worked. You calibrated for one source using the projectors controls and then used the Lumagen's controls for any variances in the other sources. I assumed this would be the same principle just using the Oppo's controls.
post #20764 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Ask Again Later; The Future is Hazy
--Bob

Translation: Bob is under an NDA and has seen or has a protoype.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #20765 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 PM

I'm a bit confused setting up my system. I have a Denon AVR-3312CI and a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set. I bought the Oppo 93 because of its many capabilities and I'm sure someone is going to tell me it is overkill so thanks in advance.

Here are my questions.

1. The Oppo 93 has speaker configuration. But so does the AVR. Do I ignore the speaker setup for the Oppo and use the AVR only or do I set up both? If I only need to config the AVR is there some setting I should set on the Oppo to bypass its speaker setup? I did not see anything in the manual regarding this scenario which surprised me.

2. If I must set up speakers in the Oppo then in the manual it states that the speaker configuration only applies to multi-channel analog audio output. I'm using an HDMI cable so does this mean I ignore the speaker configuration completely?

My sense tells me I will be configuring the speakers only through the AVR but I wonder at why the Oppo manual does not discuss this pointedly in the manual. It's because of this that I'm not sure what to do.
post #20766 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

I'm a bit confused setting up my system. I have a Denon AVR-3312CI and a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set.

If you're using HDMI then configure your speakers in your AVR. There is no way to configure audio that's in a digital bit stream. Your receiver will convert to LPCM first thing.
post #20767 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

I am thinking that 4K support will be reason to refresh the current line; I estimate that 2013 CES all major manufacturers will have at least one model including Oppo with a launch of Q3 2013. Just a guess.

That and working (bidirectional?) IP control.

None of the current players integrate into an environment where you are using your iPod/iPad/iPhone as the remote control device and controlling everything via TCP/IP. And unless I'm mistaken, that is precisely the market that Oppo sees itself selling into.
post #20768 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
kkpro, if your display has multiple HDMI inputs, each input can probably be calibrated independently. I assume you're running all your players' video through your AVR and then running a single HDMI cable from the AVR to the display.

Instead, connect the Oppo's first HDMI output directly to the display through one of the display's other HDMI inputs and the Oppo's second HDMI output to the AVR for sound only - unless you're running analog audio into the AVR (my preference) in which case you don't have to bother with an HDMI cable to the AVR from the Oppo.

Once you have the Oppo on its own input to the display, you can calibrate the display independently for the Oppo and for the other video sources. The only inconvenience will be having to switch inputs on the display with the display's remote when you switch between the video feeds from the Oppo and the AVR.

The Oppo has dual HDMI outputs to allow its video to bypass the AVR - not specifically for this reason but to cope with AVRs that can't pass 3D video - but you can take advantage of that capability to deal with the difference between the Oppo's and your other players' output calibrations.

In my own system, I calibrated the component input to my display that I use for my HD cable box by temporarily connecting a disk player's component output to that input and using a calibration disk to set up that input. I then put the disk player back on an HDMI input and reconnected the cable box to the component input - the colors on cable were much richer once I had calibrated the component input. This was my way to work around the failure of the cable companies to provide calibration signals! (The cable companies' "On Demand" systems would be ideal for this!)

post #20769 of 26905 Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
scrapser, the reason the Oppo (and other players with multichannel analog outputs) have speaker configuration sections in their setup routines is to cope with the fact that most AVRs do not apply their own speaker configuration settings to their multichannel analog inputs.

If you're using a multichannel analog hookup to the AVR and have an AVR like I just described (which is most AVRs) the players' speaker configuration is the only place you can set things up.

If you're running HDMI audio to the AVR, the players' speaker configuration settings have no effect.

post #20770 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

Why would the video be any different? If I used the default settings, which is what I would use if that were my only player, then all of my other players would be off. I have 2 other Panasonics and a Toshiba HD-DVD player which all use the same brightness and contrast settings. The Oppo is the only one that is different.
I am not trying to be argumentative, I would just like to get the best out of the system. I had a Lumagen before and that is how I thought it worked. You calibrated for one source using the projectors controls and then used the Lumagen's controls for any variances in the other sources. I assumed this would be the same principle just using the Oppo's controls.

The difference in this case is that the OPPO is KNOWN to put out correct gray scale on HDMI 1 using explicit 1080p output and its default settings. The discovery that you have to alter the OPPO's Brightness and Contrast settings means that something peculiar is up. And it's worth trying to figure out what.

Evidently something odd is going on with the other players you've tried. It could be that the players themselves are putting out odd gray scale -- which would be something of a coincidence from more than one player -- or that you are using a different video data format from those players compared to what you are using from the OPPO, and the rest of your video chain (AVR and Display) are reacting differently to the two video formats.

For example, if you were using RGB from the other players and YCbCr from the OPPO, that could indicate that your AVR or Display have a quirk in the way they handle RGB input. Or if you are using Deep Color from the OPPO but not from the other players. Or if you are using 1080p/24 from the OPPO but not from the other players. These video format differences SHOULDN'T make a difference but they are likely candidates to check since there IS a difference.

It could also be that the input you are using for HDMI video from the OPPO has some setting difference compared to the inputs you are using for the other players. Presumably you copied over settings to configure the new input. Perhaps one didn't get copied correctly? Check in particularly for any sort of video "enhancement" settings in the AVR or Display such as dynamic contrast adjustment.

------------------------------------

Now understand, the setup as you are using it now probably looks fine, and may indeed end up being the best you can do -- given what the other players are putting out, and their lack of Picture Adjustment controls.

But the discovery that you need to change the Brightness and Contrast controls in the OPPO to get a good match with a calibrated display should be a Red Flag that something is wrong in the calibration setup.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20771 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Translation: Bob is under an NDA and has seen or has a protoype.

You are thinking of the interactive holographic projector.

Oh wait, I shouldn't have said that. I really shouldn't have said that....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20772 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

scrapser, the reason the Oppo (and other players with multichannel analog outputs) have speaker configuration sections in their setup routines is to cope with the fact that most AVRs do not apply their own speaker configuration settings to their multichannel analog inputs.

If you're using a multichannel analog hookup to the AVR and have an AVR like I just described (which is most AVRs) the players' speaker configuration is the only place you can set things up.

If you're running HDMI audio to the AVR, the players' speaker configuration settings have no effect.

Thank you and HTWAITS for your replies. It is most appreciated.
post #20773 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Hi there

Can anybody please verify whether Youtube app is still supported with 61-1219 firmware from December? I realized since the introduction of the latest firmware which supports Youtube leanback, whenever I try to start youtube, I only get Youtube splash screen ...

Thanks

Harry
post #20774 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipschman70 View Post

Hi there

Can anybody please verify whether Youtube app is still supported with 61-1219 firmware from December? I realized since the introduction of the latest firmware which supports Youtube leanback, whenever I try to start youtube, I only get Youtube splash screen ...

Thanks

Harry

It is not. Google changed the communication interface at the YouTube server end which invalidated the old app that was included in that 1219 firmware. The new YouTube LeanBack app is available in the current, "official" firmware, firmware 0413, which came out on April 23.
--Bob

post #20775 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks Bob

I guess I need to update my Oppo to the latest firmware
post #20776 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

You are thinking of the interactive holographic projector.

Oh wait, I shouldn't have said that. I really shouldn't have said that....
--Bob

LOL

Paul
post #20777 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

It is not. Google changed the communication interface at the YouTube server end which invalidated the old app that was included in that 1219 firmware. The new YouTube LeanBack app is available in the current, "official" firmware, firmware 0413, which came out on April 23.
--Bob

Even working it isn't much better. What an awful app. Single threaded app from the 90's anyone?

Bob - do you know if Oppo coded that or if Google threw it over the wall?
post #20778 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
YouTube changed the authentication for their LeanBack service, which is why OPPO had to release a new firmware to allow for the new authentication information.
post #20779 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Hmmm...I just got my new Oppo BDP-93 up and running last week, and I immediately updated it to the latest firmware (April 23rd). Even so, the YouTube app is barely functional - most times when I try to run it, it just sits at the splash screen. On occasion it will connect, but when it does the menus are god-awful slow.

And speaking of slow menus, the NetFlix interface is painfully slow to use, which kills me since the video quality of NetFlix on Oppo seems to be better than my myriad other NetFlix-enabled devices (TV, XBox, Roku, etc.). I presume the video looks so good due to the upscaling by the QDeo processor (I am running my video directly to the TV via HDMI1 and the audio to the receiver via HDMI2). At first I thought this slowness must be related to the wireless connection, which seems very inconsistent on the Oppo - it often says it can't connect, or the signal strength varies a good deal (even though all the other wireless devices in my home theater have a full-strength signal all the time). I switched it over to a hard-wired 100MB Ethernet cable, but still not much improvement in the NetFlix interface or with accessing YouTube.

Anyone else experiencing these types of problems? Otherwise, I'm impressed as hell by the Oppo so far...

Demian
post #20780 of 26905 Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I think the slow Netflix interface is just the way how it is on the Oppo BDP-93. I can't stand it, so I don't bother with it and instead use a Roku 2 XS.
post #20781 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I don't have any problems with my 93's Netflix app. I even compared to my fat PS3. The PS3 seems a little cleaner, but I think that is because Netflix allows the PS3 to stream 1080.
post #20782 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

I think the slow Netflix interface is just the way how it is on the Oppo BDP-93. I can't stand it, so I don't bother with it and instead use a Roku 2 XS.

Hey, I find that streaming HD Netflix extremely good-much better than my Panasonic player. Some HD movies are as good as some bluray, very impressed, just wish that I could figure out this DNLA thing, but no worries.

Rob

Also to finalize the collection of speakers, the Philharmonic 2s,..... I will be picking up my "matching center speaker" this sunday to fininally get it all together, so the oppo will be finally doing it's job properly!
post #20783 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM

I'm fine with the playback quality of the apps but moving around in them is bad. Netflix and VUDU included. I don't know if it is the remote or the apps but it is sluggish to the point that is barely usable. VERY disappointed in the 93 as far as that goes.
post #20784 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCleary View Post

I'm fine with the playback quality of the apps but moving around in them is bad. Netflix and VUDU included. I don't know if it is the remote or the apps but it is sluggish to the point that is barely usable. VERY disappointed in the 93 as far as that goes.

are you using the remote that came with the player or using the harmony remote? I use the harmony remote. it works great.

Jacob
post #20785 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, that is what I use as well and I agree..... a little slow, but tolerable with ethernet.
post #20786 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

It's over 12 months since I've tried netflix, but back then to avoid searching or browsing via the Oppo, you could do all that on your PC, queue up what you wanted to watch and when you login via Oppo it's all there ready to go.

Is that function stil available?

blairy
post #20787 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

It's over 12 months since I've tried netflix, but back then to avoid searching or browsing via the Oppo, you could do all that on your PC, queue up what you wanted to watch and when you login via Oppo it's all there ready to go.

blairy

Yes, it sure is. It's the only way I'd use Netflix on my BDP-93.
post #20788 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

blairy

Beat me to the punch.....just to add..... the interface is very nicely functional too!

One ? myself, does the TV/AVR need to be DNLA ready to stream from PC?
post #20789 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

blairy

I use a wifi tablet to search & add movies to the que while on my couch.
post #20790 of 26905 Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

One ? myself, does the TV/AVR need to be DNLA ready to stream from PC?

No, not if you are using the player as a DLNA client.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page