Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #21121 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Picked one up and I am now an official Oppo convert.
All the good stuff I've read about this unit was spot-on truth.
Amazing machine.
Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21122 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Thanks, Bob and MitchPope. I will check the secondary audio setting. I do believe I have this set to on. But with my last player, it did not affect the output from the AVR. But, if that is the case with the Oppo, I will just leave it off. Thanks again.

It's OK to leave it On if you use LPCM output. You'll get the full quality of the Primary audio track whenever Secondary audio is silent.

No consumer device has the ability to re-encode a lossless Bitstream (such as DTS-HD MA) on the fly. But for LPCM output that is not required.

The original DTS-HD MA track has to be decoded before Secondary Audio mixing can happen (can't mix into a still-encoded Bitstream), and such mixing can only happen inside the player (can't send a Primary Bitstream and a separate Secondary Audio stream both to the Receiver for mixing in the Receiver).

For your prior player, you were either using LPCM output, or you weren't really getting Secondary Audio mixing with Bitstream output, as no player can do that and still send out a lossless Bitstream.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21123 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It's unlikely.

M2TS and AVCHD support HD audio.

-Bill

What are the options to get the Oppo playing an m2ts file (large m2ts like a whole BD movie) re: what media to put the m2ts file on?
post #21124 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

What are the options to get the Oppo playing an m2ts file (large m2ts like a whole BD movie) re: what media to put the m2ts file on?

Either stream it via DLNA or put it on a USB or eSATA drive for attached storage. Works the same either way.
The Oppo handles hi-res audio and PGS subtitles from M2TS files, which is great, but navigation (either via DLNA or attached) can be painful. There are no chapter markers and using the "GoTo" function to skip ahead is hit and miss.
post #21125 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

Either stream it via DLNA or put it on a USB or eSATA drive for attached storage. Works the same either way.
The Oppo handles hi-res audio and PGS subtitles from M2TS files, which is great, but navigation (either via DLNA or attached) can be painful. There are no chapter markers and using the "GoTo" function to skip ahead is hit and miss.

Interesting, what about doing FF/REW (variable speed)? Does that work? That's what I mostly would do other than simply playing an m2ts and maybe pausing/resuming. Is the playback of m2ts files solid with the Oppo? No weird behavior while playing/pausing/resuming?
post #21126 of 26967 Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Interesting, what about doing FF/REW (variable speed)? Does that work? That's what I mostly would do other than simply playing an m2ts and maybe pausing/resuming. Is the playback of m2ts files solid with the Oppo? No weird behavior while playing/pausing/resuming?

If you simply want to play a movie from start to finish (a terribly old-fashioned concept, I know), M2TS playback is fine. Shouldn't give you any problems playing pausing and resuming. FF and REW kinda works, in my limited testing, but if you go too fast the file may hang or stop.
post #21127 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover408 View Post

I am not sure. Here is the sellers ad on eBay. Seems very respected in selling these units. He has 100% feedback with over 5200 total customers!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-DIGITAL...item1c1f1320e6

Sorry, I don't recognise that chip so can't really comment. Others on this forum can probably advise.

If you're in a hurry, I'd go with what they provide. You can always replace/upgrade the chip later.

regards
blairy
post #21128 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

My oppo 93 is not seeing my srt file, I cannot get the subs up for raid redemption, legit srt file

Its a usb stick both avi and srt is in the same folder

IIRC, the names of avi and srt must be absolutely identical, including upper/lower case: this is very different from the usual PC playback approach where it usually doesn't matter.

It's also necessary to manually enable any external subs, using the subtitle button on the remote.
post #21129 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I assume the Oppo will also play an M2TS data file from a BD-R, although I'm not sure if that method has the same navigation quirks.
post #21130 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I don't believe that to be true. For instance, Foobar supports gapless playback playing on a pc or streaming through it's DLNA server, however, when streaming to the Oppo, it's not gapless. Even if you stream via a cue sheet, the Oppo inserts a gap between tracks. Same with streaming via a playlist file.

The only way I've found to get gapless playback is playing/streaming a single per-disc file. If you do a search of this thread or the 95 thread, you'll see this is a common complaint, so it's not new information. Even on Oppo's Facebook page, they admit gapless playback is not possible at this point.

If you have experience streaming gapless to your Oppo 93/95, please list the software used and any special settings, or are you just arguing hypothetically.

Then Foobar isn't doing what I described and that is presenting a single LPCM source to the Oppo down which it sends the output of whatever it gets from converting the source material.

It may be that what we are in need of on the Oppo is not gapless playback but gapless streaming (if that makes it easier to understand.)

Or to put it in a different context, the media server needs to be able to create a virtual CD of indiscriminate size that is composed of any number or types of media files and the playback of that media is a single stream of WAV output. So rather than play a selection of tracks, you assemble a selection of tracks into a virtual CD and play that back as a single entity.
post #21131 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you simply want to play a movie from start to finish (a terribly old-fashioned concept, I know), M2TS playback is fine. Shouldn't give you any problems playing pausing and resuming. FF and REW kinda works, in my limited testing, but if you go too fast the file may hang or stop.

Does this match others experience playing m2ts files with the Oppo that FF/REW (variable speed) is flakey and may even hang up? But pausing/resuming works okay? If so I don't think I'll be using the Oppo for m2ts files because I do FF/REW sometimes and don't have patience for problems with it.
post #21132 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone else had an issue with the 93 recognizing an external USB HardDrive? I eventually get it to work, but I have to jump through hoops to get it. Turn off Oppo, turn off HardDrive, unplug HardDrive, turn on Oppo, ect...
post #21133 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 171
If you are using eSATA then you will need to turn off the player, connect the drive with eSATA, turn on the drive, then turn on the player. Now the drive will be recognized.

With USB it is hot swappable, so there are no special procedures.
post #21134 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does anyone know of a way that I can send music via my home wi-fi network from my iPad2 to the Oppo 93. My zone2 only accepts an analoge source. The reason is that my Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp only allows for an analoge signal to play in my Zone2 (backyard).
Since I have the stereo outputs L/R from the Oppo going to my Integra, I would like to send music to the oppo via my iPad and in turn let the Oppo send it to my Integra via the analoge stereo outputs.

Thanks

Paul
post #21135 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Has anyone else had an issue with the 93 recognizing an external USB HardDrive? I eventually get it to work, but I have to jump through hoops to get it. Turn off Oppo, turn off HardDrive, unplug HardDrive, turn on Oppo, ect...

Bus powered or does it have it's own power supply? If it's bus powered, (portable), you may need to give it a powered USB hub to run off. The 93 has plenty of power on the USB bus for most portable HDDs, but there may be exceptions.

Be aware that after bootup, the player may take a minute or so to fully index attached drives.
post #21136 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Does anyone know of a way that I can send music via my home wi-fi network from my iPad2 to the Oppo 93. My zone2 only accepts an analoge source. The reason is that my Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp only allows for an analoge signal to play in my Zone2 (backyard).
Since I have the stereo outputs L/R from the Oppo going to my Integra, I would like to send music to the oppo via my iPad and in turn let the Oppo send it to my Integra via the analoge stereo outputs.

You will need to run some kind of DLNA server on your iOS device like Twonky or SyncStream. The data will be pulled through your network from the iOS device.
post #21137 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Then Foobar isn't doing what I described and that is presenting a single LPCM source to the Oppo down which it sends the output of whatever it gets from converting the source material.

It may be that what we are in need of on the Oppo is not gapless playback but gapless streaming (if that makes it easier to understand.)

Or to put it in a different context, the media server needs to be able to create a virtual CD of indiscriminate size that is composed of any number or types of media files and the playback of that media is a single stream of WAV output. So rather than play a selection of tracks, you assemble a selection of tracks into a virtual CD and play that back as a single entity.

I'm wondering how that would be different than using a playlist or cue sheet. In the case of a playlist, it presents a set of individual files that, when played from a pc using Foobar, is gapless. It's also gapless when streaming via Foobar's DLNA server to an htpc. However, when streaming to an Oppo, it's not gapless.

With a cue sheet, it's streaming one file, with beginning and ending track points for each track in the file, similar to the CD. This is as close to what you're describing as a "virtual CD" that I can think of. Again, the Oppo inserts a pause when switching between tracks that doesn't occur when streaming to a htpc or playing directly on a pc. There must be some hiccup that occurs on the Oppo when changing tracks, whether it's streaming via a playlist, cue sheet, or just playing individual files from attached storage. Other DLNA software that I've used (Twonky, MediaMonkey, TVersity, PS3 Media Server, and others I've long forgotten), exhibit the same behavior on the Oppo.

I've been told that most media streamers don't stream gapless either, although I understand the Dune will stream gapless from a cue file.
post #21138 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just want to make sure I have this straight.
I'm drop-shipping a 2TB HD (esata, USB2.0) to a friend of mine who is filling it with music he has. He is a PC user, I'm on Mac. My understanding is that he should format the drive in NTFS. That will work for the Oppo, but I won't be able to use it directly on my macbook?
95% is in Flac, which I know will be fine. He has a few Iso's of Mulitchannel SACD, I know that won't play directly on the Oppo. He said I could convert them and burn to a DVD-audio, but the one PC I have doesn't have a DVD burner, so I guess that is out unless I buy some hardware.
Does that all sound correct?

Thanks
post #21139 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

An easy solution would be to break up the harddrive into several partitions. Make one partition NTFS for files which will be larger than 4GB in size, and make at least one 200GB partition in FAT32 so you can transfer files to and from a MAC. Files stored in the FAT32 partition can be transferred later to the NTFS partition on a Windows computer.

You can also try to use Tuxera NTFS so you can read and write to NTFS partitions on a MAC, but I hear there are compatibility issues with Lion (OS 10.7) which will cause the partition to become corrupt.
post #21140 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

He has a few Iso's of Mulitchannel SACD, I know that won't play directly on the Oppo. He said I could convert them and burn to a DVD-audio, but the one PC I have doesn't have a DVD burner, so I guess that is out unless I buy some hardware.

I have only done stereo conversions so far, but the SACD plugin for Foobar2000 can convert SACD ISO files to hi-rez FLAC files. Maybe it works with multi-channel too, so you could convert the ISOs to m-ch FLAC files that the Oppo can play from the hard drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/ (that's Windows software)
post #21141 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

He has a few Iso's of Mulitchannel SACD, I know that won't play directly on the Oppo. He said I could convert them and burn to a DVD-audio, but the one PC I have doesn't have a DVD burner, so I guess that is out unless I buy some hardware.
Does that all sound correct?

Thanks

Actually, you would burn an SACD ISO to a DVD-R disc which will play on the Oppo. Or, as Ornette suggested, you can use Foobar's SACD plug-in to convert the SACD ISO to MCH flacs (I recommend 24-bit, 88kHz conversion). Third, you can stream the SACD ISO to the Oppo using the Foobar plug-in, but you do need a pc with a hefty cpu. I have a quad core AMD processor, and it will use 40-50% of my cpu to convert to LPCM on-the-fly and stream. However, for critical listening, I don't recommend this method. Playing from the SACD shiny disc is still preferable IMO, although playing flac files converted from the ISO are ok for casual listening.
post #21142 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you are using eSATA then you will need to turn off the player, connect the drive with eSATA, turn on the drive, then turn on the player. Now the drive will be recognized.

With USB it is hot swappable, so there are no special procedures.

Thanks for the response. The drives I have are older and not eSATA, and the have their own power supply. Most of the time it states that the drive is not supported. I turn everything off, then the drive on first, then the OPPO, then have to repeat that process several times in order for it to be recognized.
post #21143 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Thanks for the response. The drives I have are older and not eSATA, and the have their own power supply. Most of the time it states that the drive is not supported. I turn everything off, then the drive on first, then the OPPO, then have to repeat that process several times in order for it to be recognized.

HOW old is it? USB-2? I turn the player on and let it boot, then connect a USB drive, but it really shouldn't matter. But leave it set for a while in case the HDD is just too slow to get indexed quickly. Might be a wonky controller on the HDD.
post #21144 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Actually, you would burn an SACD ISO to a DVD-R disc which will play on the Oppo. Or, as Ornette suggested, you can use Foobar's SACD plug-in to convert the SACD ISO to MCH flacs (I recommend 24-bit, 88kHz conversion). Third, you can stream the SACD ISO to the Oppo using the Foobar plug-in, but you do need a pc with a hefty cpu. I have a quad core AMD processor, and it will use 40-50% of my cpu to convert to LPCM on-the-fly and stream. However, for critical listening, I don't recommend this method. Playing from the SACD shiny disc is still preferable IMO, although playing flac files converted from the ISO are ok for casual listening.

Thanks for this and the other tips.
He offered to just burn the SACD's for me, I'll just go that way.
These are all music files, so nothing over the FAT-32 limit so it sounds like that's the way to go for the best compatibility between PC and Mac. I'd like to be able to convert and put some of it on my iphone.
Got some new speakers coming (Salk Supercharged Song Towers and supercharged CC), so I need something with better quality than Pandora.
post #21145 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Third, you can stream the SACD ISO to the Oppo using the Foobar plug-in, but you do need a pc with a hefty cpu. I have a quad core AMD processor, and it will use 40-50% of my cpu to convert to LPCM on-the-fly and stream.

Or a PC that has a low-end Intel Core2 or later...

(sorry)

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #21146 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Or a PC that has a low-end Intel Core2 or later...

(sorry)

touche!
post #21147 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
any chance of a new firmware update in june?
post #21148 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As Bob always says: Check back later. The future is a little hazy.
post #21149 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

any chance of a new firmware update in june?

Why? Do you need one?
post #21150 of 26967 Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As Bob always says: Check back later. The future is a little hazy.

Does that mean this model is close to its end of the lifecycle and a new Oppo player is around the corner soon?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page