22Likes

post #21421 of 27027 Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bob but still no luck.

I exchanged some emails with OPPO directly and still no luck.

I initiated an exchange with the merchant. should have a replacement in about 5 days. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It sounds like you may have a hardware problem on the HDMI 1 output. Get in touch with OPPO and they'll walk you through how to confirm whether or not the player needs service.
In the meantime, here are some things to try.
Using the HDMI 2 output, set Primary Output HDMI 1 and set HDMI Audio LPCM.
Using the HDMI 2 output, set HDMI 1 to YCbCr 4:4:4 with Deep Color OFF, and then also set 480p/576p output resolution (not 480i/576i). Those are the "simplest" settings for HDMI video. Exit Setup and power down the player normally (i.e., don't just cut off wall power to it), then see if you can power up and get HDMI 1 video with those setting. Concentrate on seeing if you can get video first. If your TV can report what it is receiving for video input, check whether that matches what you have set in the OPPO.
When checking HDMI 1 video, don't cable anything to the HDMI 2 output.
Get a flashlight and check the HDMI 1 plug and socket for signs of pin damage.
--Bob

AJF

No such thing as a stupid question! Well have you got a minute ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21422 of 27027 Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post

So I have a question: I am using my Oppo BDP-93 with an older Denon 4806 receiver that doesn't decode DTS-HD Master or TrueHD. I'm using the 7.1 analog outputs on the Oppo to pass the decoded soundtrack to the Denon - this bypasses all of the Denon's processing, but still performs very well. 7.1 soundtracks sound great, but my question is around 5.1 soundtracks: I've noticed that on some 5.1 sound tracks (mostly DTS HD Master ones), I'm getting sound out of my surround back speakers, even though the soundtrack doesn't have those channels included (I think it may be that the surround left/right is being replicated to the rears). This doesn't happen all the time though - for example, when I play The Dark Knight, which is TrueHD 5.1, I don't get any sound out of the surround back speakers. So my question is, what is pushing sound to the surround backs on the DTS 5.1 soundtracks:
1. Is the Oppo up-mixing the soundtrack to 7.1 since I have down-mixing set to 7.1?
2. Is the Denon 4806 pumping the 5.1 signal to both the side surrounds and rear surrounds (which doesn't seem likely, since the analog inputs bypass all DAC and DSP processing in the 4806)?
3. Is there something different between TrueHD and DTS-HD Master 5.1 soundtracks that would make the DTS ones utilize all 7 speakers while the TrueHD ones only use 5?
Has anyone else experienced this with their Oppo? Let me know what you think...
Demian

At first I thought it was Denon, because it will "upconvert" to 7.1 I am pretty sure......but after re-reading your post, I see that you have a multi-in connection which will as you said, should take all processing in the Denon out of the equation.

The only thing I would know to try would be to unplug the surround rear cables between the Denon and Oppo and see if you are still getting sound, then you will know which one the sound is coming from.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #21423 of 27027 Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

When checking if you have a hardware problem, test with *ONLY* HDMI 1 cabled, and with Primary Output set to HDMI 1.
With both HDMI outputs cabled there are lots of additional complexities that can confuse things, such as if there are two HDMI paths to the same display (one direct and one through the AVR).
Whenever the player is showing odd behavior, it is useful to try the simple reset procedure "just in case":
1) Remove any disc. Jot down your personal settings.
2) In Setup, Erase Persistent Storage, then Reset Factory Defaults. When the Easy Setup Wizard finishes, power down the player.
3) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. Do not skip this step.
4) Power up and re-enter your personal settings.
5) Power down again. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.
It is also a good idea to power down at both ends of the HDMI cable before removing or plugging in an HDMI plug.
NOTE: HDMI plugs are just friction fit. Far and way the single most common reason for loss of HDMI signal is simply that the plug -- at one end or the other -- has worked its way loose a bit in the socket. It only takes a small shift to cause problems. The weight of the cable, or the tugging of the cable due to cable folds or bends is often all it takes.
--Bob

Bob - I can't thank you enough! I followed your instructions to the letter except for a slight (unintended) change and I now have video from HDMI 1!! We were able to watch Hugo in 3D last night, end to end!

The slight deviation I had from what you mentioned was: once the Easy Setup Wizard came up, it wouldn't show up on my TV which is 1080i max. Powering off didn't help, so I thought maybe I can see it on the projector. I only power it on at the wall socket which gets it to the standby mode (not with the remote to turn the lamp on). And that brought the signal back on my TV immediately! Sounds ridiculous, but that's exactly what happened.

I still have some issues with HDMI 1, I think:

1. Once I switch the projector on, sometimes the projector flickers wildly. I'm not expert, but it doesn't exactly look like a flicker to me, but then again, who knows. Do you think something like this is possible if there's some kinda loose connection in HDMI 1, even while the Oppo is not playing anything, nothing is touched and nobody is even nearby? Or is it just the kind of flicker projectors have in their early days while the lamp's arc stablizes?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/478601/projector-flicker.m4v

2. Sometimes, when there's a loud sound in the movie, the Oppo loses sync and the picture goes away. This happens both with the TV and the projector. For example, it happened twice last night with Hugo, on projector, and earlier a number of times with the Hereafter blu-ray, on TV. I have satellite speakers, all set to "small" in the receiver, and I get LPCM over HDMI. The receiver is Denon 3806. Not sure of the crossover right now, but I remember it being higher than the lower limit of all speakers' frequency response. The funny thing is, the picture goes away, but the sound remains!

The reason I suspect HDMI 1 is, these don't seem to happen with HDMI 2. I haven't got a lot of play time on either of the two HDMI's, but HDMI 2 has never caused me any grief.

Once again, thanks a ton! It would be great if you can also explain what exactly got my HDMI 1 signal back. Before posting here, I had tried everything you suggested other than erasing persistent storage, but not in the order you listed, and I hadn't actually pulled the plug, but just switched it off from the wall socket. Last night, I actually pulled the plug from the Oppo. Felt silly, but was better than the feeling I get with a roomful of guests watching me struggle cluelessly with a brand-new player and projector.

Regards,
Saurav.
post #21424 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't know if any/many other readers of this thread are Australian or are in Australia, but for those that are, there is finally a local reseller (www.opposhop.com.au) that is not only selling the BDP-93AU/BDP-95AU at a sensible price (check the website) but they're also making them available with the region-free mod chips (legal in Australia.)
post #21425 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav View Post

Bob - I can't thank you enough! I followed your instructions to the letter except for a slight (unintended) change and I now have video from HDMI 1!! We were able to watch Hugo in 3D last night, end to end!
The slight deviation I had from what you mentioned was: once the Easy Setup Wizard came up, it wouldn't show up on my TV which is 1080i max. Powering off didn't help, so I thought maybe I can see it on the projector. I only power it on at the wall socket which gets it to the standby mode (not with the remote to turn the lamp on). And that brought the signal back on my TV immediately! Sounds ridiculous, but that's exactly what happened.
I still have some issues with HDMI 1, I think:
1. Once I switch the projector on, sometimes the projector flickers wildly. I'm not expert, but it doesn't exactly look like a flicker to me, but then again, who knows. Do you think something like this is possible if there's some kinda loose connection in HDMI 1, even while the Oppo is not playing anything, nothing is touched and nobody is even nearby? Or is it just the kind of flicker projectors have in their early days while the lamp's arc stablizes?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/478601/projector-flicker.m4v
2. Sometimes, when there's a loud sound in the movie, the Oppo loses sync and the picture goes away. This happens both with the TV and the projector. For example, it happened twice last night with Hugo, on projector, and earlier a number of times with the Hereafter blu-ray, on TV. I have satellite speakers, all set to "small" in the receiver, and I get LPCM over HDMI. The receiver is Denon 3806. Not sure of the crossover right now, but I remember it being higher than the lower limit of all speakers' frequency response. The funny thing is, the picture goes away, but the sound remains!
The reason I suspect HDMI 1 is, these don't seem to happen with HDMI 2. I haven't got a lot of play time on either of the two HDMI's, but HDMI 2 has never caused me any grief.

Once again, thanks a ton! It would be great if you can also explain what exactly got my HDMI 1 signal back. Before posting here, I had tried everything you suggested other than erasing persistent storage, but not in the order you listed, and I hadn't actually pulled the plug, but just switched it off from the wall socket. Last night, I actually pulled the plug from the Oppo. Felt silly, but was better than the feeling I get with a roomful of guests watching me struggle cluelessly with a brand-new player and projector.
Regards,
Saurav.

The "flicker" you describe is most likely just some video garbage getting displayed while the "HDMI handshake" is working to set up the connection. An HDMI handshake takes a minimum of 2 seconds, and may take 4 or more seconds if "retries" happen.

Now, having TWO DISPLAYS connected makes life much more complicated as the copy protection stuff in HDMI has to satisfy itself that both paths are legitimate. This is why I said that when checking to see if you really had an HDMI 1 hardware problem you should have JUST HDMI 1 cabled. I should probably have also added that you have only one display cabled in case you are splitting the signal out to multiple displays some other way.

Your loss of signal when there is a loud burst of audio may be nothing more than that you have an HDMI plug loose in its socket at some point in the HDMI chain (from player through to display) so that it wiggles loose a little bit due to the vibration. Make sure every HDMI plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into its socket for every single plug, with nothing tugging or pulling it in any direction, e.g., the weight of the cable or kinks in the cable. HDMI plugs are just a friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw up the connection.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21426 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

2 Home Network questions.

Through Home Network I was able to find my Win7 MCE HTPC but not any of my WinXP MCE machines. Is there a setting on the XP machine that needs to be enabled for the BDP-93 to find it?

The 93 can play Windows *.TS and WMV but not Win7 *.wtv files weird. Licensing issue?

AJF

No such thing as a stupid question! Well have you got a minute ?
post #21427 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You need to be running a DLNA DMP server on your computer, such as Windows Media Player 11 or starting Windows Media Server. I personally recommend oShare since it is a very straightforward application that only does DLNA DMP.

The player can only recognize the formats as listed on the OPPO Wiki
post #21428 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM

I think I'm in the Oppo owner's thread. I've had my BDP-93 for a year and have been very pleased with its performance. I was attracted to it because it apparently didn't have very many limitations in terms of the many media formats it'll play back.

This will be a non-issue to most folks because it doesn't deal with high-end problems. Last week I put in a newly burned CD-R, and immediately noticed a number of cut-outs....skips, whatever you call 'em. I burned another CD-R from the same file downloaded AAC, m4a, lossless format, but on a different brand of disc. Same thing, but now the cut-outs are in different places. [About 30 cut-outs over a 16 tract disc.]

Played the original file on my MacBook Pro - played fine. Played the 2 CDs in the MacBook Pro - fine. Played the 2 CDs in both my vehicles - fine. Played the 2 CDs in a $60 boom box - fine. Testing is incomplete. Have not yet tried burning in AIFF or mp3 mode.

Emailed Oppo Service, and they tell me something very strange. They say there have been some issues with skipping related to CD-Rs manufactured with green dye (their words). I assume the "green dye" they are referring to is phthalocyanine dye, used in a major number of disc media factories worldwide. Trying to isolate which of the 16 of the world's factories manufacture which brands has proven to be a daunting task, and I've ceased spending time on that. I haven't yet followed up on a reply to this comment from Oppo because I have never heard of this, and I'm looking for anyone that's had this experience with their BDP 93.

I haven't yet asked the question if this is a hardware problem or a firmware problem. This unit has the latest firmware installed, and Oppo knows that. It's a little ridiculous for a $60 boom box to outperform a $500 3D Blu-ray player in the audio department, but there it is.

Maybe some of you can come up with some good questions to ask Service before I reply .

Regards.
Sunshine66
post #21429 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The issue they are talking about has to do with the way Blu-ray drives differ from other types of optical drive. Which is why your cheapo player reacts differently. Just see how well it works if you try to play a Blu-ray in it! biggrin.gif

Evidently a certain type of dye used in some writable discs is known to cause read reliability problems. Commercial discs are made differently and thus don't have such problems.

It's not at all uncommon for different brands of burnable media to react differently with different brands/models of drives. One way to minimize such problems is to use a slower speed when burning the writable disc.

Unfortunately, I don't know which brands of writable disc to suggest you avoid. Perhaps someone else here knows that answer.

By the way, you actually made a new thread instead of posting your question in the BDP-93 owner's thread, so don't be surprised if the moderators move both your question, and my reply, to the end of the BDP-93 thread.
--Bob

post #21430 of 27027 Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:

The "flicker" you describe is most likely just some video garbage getting displayed while the "HDMI handshake" is working to set up the connection. An HDMI handshake takes a minimum of 2 seconds, and may take 4 or more seconds if "retries" happen.
--Bob
But the "flicker" video I linked to, happens after the playback has begun, say 10 - 15 later, not just when the Oppo or the projector start up. And it will continue forever until I (a) either power off the Oppo or (b) pull out the cable from HDMI 1 and put it back in. (a) doesn't restore the video signal, but stops the "flicker". (b) fixes it immediately. I kept doing this until it no longer worked, and then concluded that HDMI 1 is dead, until your suggestions restored it.

Also, this happens even when only HDMI 1 is cabled to the projector directly. Everything else is completely powered down. The other thing I have noticed is, , this typically happens early in the viewing session (say first 15 - 30 minutes), and not later.

Later on, other types of signal losses happen at times, e.g. getting only snow for video while audio is fine. In those cases, sometimes the signal comes back on its own within a second or two. But sometimes I have to pull out & plug in the HDMI 1 cable, just like the mad "flicker" case.

Tonight, I will play completely out of HDMI 2 connected to the same cable that's connected to HDMI 1 (probably loosely). Let's see what happens. I will also get to see if I can make out the difference between Marvell Qdeo processing in HDMI 1 and the lack of it in HDMI 2.

Thanks,
Saurav.
post #21431 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Rakosnicek, useful info.

Many Oppo users in Oz already. Plenty of us frequent the DTV Forums, you'll find the oppo 93 thread under bluray smile.gif

http://www.dtvforum.info/

And the good people from Opposhop have posted there too.

Mind you, there's a lot more info over here on AVS wink.gif

Cheers
blairy
post #21432 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You'll probably be better off waiting for the experts like Bob, but just a thought....

It sounds to me as if you're connected HDMI1 direct to projector and HDMI2 to AVR and then AVR to projector.

Try disconnecting the cable from the AVR to your projector (or second monitor if that's your setup) and see how you go.

I don't say this as some sort of expert. It's something Oppo have occasionally suggested when I've had issues in the past.

Cheers
blairy
post #21433 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 AM

I have just bought a BDP-93EU player. I chose your player because I have a relatively old AVR, a Marantz SR5001 that has HDMI 1.1 and with a limit on the maximum audio sample rate to 110Khz. Your player, with the two HDMI allow to connect the AVR with HDMI 1.1 and to limit the maximum audio sample rate to 96Khz which is perfect for my case (I force it to LPCM).

Nevertheless, when the film that I play is DTS-HD at 7.1 the center channel gets muted (testing with the film Tintin). With 5.1 audio tracks there is no issue. This might be some incompatibility with my receiver, but it also means that the 7.1 audio is sent in a different way that the 5.1. What can be the issue? Is not the player downmixing the audio to 5.1 channels in this case? Why not? Have some of you had troubles of this nature with old AVRs?

Thanks!
post #21434 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Hi everyone - I have had my Oppo 93 for 2 weeks and I think I have spent more time reading from p630 to here than actually playing the thing!

I have a few questions, coming from a PS3 and Pioneer DVD player to this :-
  • I previously had my 8g Kuro calibrated for my HD Source (PS3) for REC709 going through Onkyo 809 in Direct mode. I used the ISF adjustments within the 809 to calibrate my SD DVD player in REC 601 (Onkyo set to ISF mode). I am pleased to say the BR calibration repeated with Oppo needed no changes. But how does the Oppo handle the changes to 601 when playing DVDs ? How would I ensure DVD playback is correct now I have a combined HD/SD source?
  • I miss the Audio bit rate info from my PS3 - did I miss something within the Oppo? File size/name and info are missing too - I have multiple copies of movies for different devices (high Q, and iPad versions, for example). Have I got to handle this by organisation of folder structure instead?

Currently,
Oppo - set to YCbCr 4:4:4 colour space, with 30 bit (dithered), fixed at 1080P, 24hz=Auto. HDMI 1. Picture Adjusts - zero
This was set following Ratatouille test, but other advice for Kuro indicates RGB. I am considering the S&M disc to put this to bed, any advice/comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne.
post #21435 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

But the "flicker" video I linked to, happens after the playback has begun, say 10 - 15 later, not just when the Oppo or the projector start up. And it will continue forever until I (a) either power off the Oppo or (b) pull out the cable from HDMI 1 and put it back in. (a) doesn't restore the video signal, but stops the "flicker". (b) fixes it immediately. I kept doing this until it no longer worked, and then concluded that HDMI 1 is dead, until your suggestions restored it.
Also, this happens even when only HDMI 1 is cabled to the projector directly. Everything else is completely powered down. The other thing I have noticed is, , this typically happens early in the viewing session (say first 15 - 30 minutes), and not later.
Later on, other types of signal losses happen at times, e.g. getting only snow for video while audio is fine. In those cases, sometimes the signal comes back on its own within a second or two. But sometimes I have to pull out & plug in the HDMI 1 cable, just like the mad "flicker" case.
Tonight, I will play completely out of HDMI 2 connected to the same cable that's connected to HDMI 1 (probably loosely). Let's see what happens. I will also get to see if I can make out the difference between Marvell Qdeo processing in HDMI 1 and the lack of it in HDMI 2.
Thanks,
Saurav.

There are a couple different parts to the handshake. One has to do with establishing what audio and video data format will be used. That's the couple seconds process people normally associate with the handshake. But the OTHER part has to do with satisfying copy protection. And that's not just a one time thing. It gets redone every few minutes. Normally you don't see it -- it happens in the background. But the copy protection logic is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail!

And when it fails it forces handshake retries -- which would produce the type of flickering you are talking about.

Typically the copy protection stuff gets annoyed if the cabling is marginal or if there are multiple paths from the Source to the same end device (usually your display). As suggested above, if you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from your AVR to your projector -- even if you aren't trying to USE that cable when the problem happens -- that may STILL be the cause of your problem. Devices these days tend to keep their HDMI sockets live even when those sockets are not in use.

If you really do have only one HDMI path between the OPPO and the projector, then I'd say you have a cable quality problem. The cable run to a projector can be pretty long, and so you need a cable designed to operate over that length. Also if you are using any daisy-chained cables, or adapters or wall-plates that ALONE could be the cause of your problem.

One test is to set the OPPO to 480p output to your projector. 480p (not 480i) is the "simplest" signal for HDMI. See if that works reliably. Then try 1080i. If 480p and 1080i work reliably but 1080p does not, then that again is evidence of a cabling problem.

If you have Deep Color set to 30 or 36 bit, try setting Deep Color OFF and see if that solves the problem. 30 and 36 bit also put higher bandwidth demands on the cable, which is tougher for a long cable to handle.
--Bob

post #21436 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:

Typically the copy protection stuff gets annoyed if the cabling is marginal or if there are multiple paths from the Source to the same end device (usually your display). As suggested above, if you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from your AVR to your projector -- even if you aren't trying to USE that cable when the problem happens -- that may STILL be the cause of your problem. Devices these days tend to keep their HDMI sockets live even when those sockets are not in use.
I indeed have a cable running from HDMI 2 to my receiver. Its an old one, Denon 3806, HDMI 1.1. I use it for sending the audio to the receiver, while the video goes straight (through HDMI 1) to the projector. I thought that was the normal setup for people like me with old receivers which don't support HDMI 1.4 and therefore won't pass through 3D, and is one of the reasons why the Oppo has two HDMI outs in the first place. So the player decodes the audio and sends it as LPCM via HDMI 2 to the receiver, while the video goes straight to the projector via HDMI 1. I thought when I'm playing it like that, there's no path from the receiver to the projector or anything else because everything else is powered off. I will try tonight by uncabling everything else from the receiver. If it's still an issue, I guess I would just have to use the analog outs on the Oppo for audio?

But again, all my video problems with HDMI 1 manifest equally well with or without HDMI 2 cabled in to Oppo.
Quote:

If you really do have only one HDMI path between the OPPO and the projector, then I'd say you have a cable quality problem. The cable run to a projector can be pretty long, and so you need a cable designed to operate over that length. Also if you are using any daisy-chained cables, or adapters or wall-plates that ALONE could be the cause of your problem.
I am using these Redmere cables, 35' in length, without any daisy chains or wall sockets. The website rates these cables as Full 3D support, 4K2K support, 10.2 Gbit/s, etc. etc. but who knows. Most of it is in the open, but part of it runs in a casing along the wall with some other cables, and part of it is inside my false ceiling along with the projector's power cable, which is in a separate conduit. I will try connecting the projector to the player with the Hi-Speed cable that came with the Oppo.
Quote:

One test is to set the OPPO to 480p output to your projector. 480p (not 480i) is the "simplest" signal for HDMI. See if that works reliably. Then try 1080i. If 480p and 1080i work reliably but 1080p does not, then that again is evidence of a cabling problem.
Will try this tonight.
Quote:

If you have Deep Color set to 30 or 36 bit, try setting Deep Color OFF and see if that solves the problem. 30 and 36 bit also put higher bandwidth demands on the cable, which is tougher for a long cable to handle.
--Bob
Deep color is OFF on both HDMI's. Also, HDMI 1 is set to "video only".

Thanks,
Saurav.
post #21437 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 AM

Liked: 13
Hello all, Looking to use a 2-3 TB external for watching Blu-Ray's.....any recomendations. I e-mailed Oppo support but no reply yet. Thanks Mike
post #21438 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 04:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0309 View Post

Hello all, Looking to use a 2-3 TB external for watching Blu-Ray's.....any recomendations. I e-mailed Oppo support but no reply yet. Thanks Mike

2TB is the maximum and it must be formatted to use MBR partitioning, not GPT.

People are using a variety of devices. The popup-toaster docks are popular: you just move a bare drive between computer and player.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #21439 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

I previously had my 8g Kuro calibrated for my HD Source (PS3) for REC709 going through Onkyo 809 in Direct mode. I used the ISF adjustments within the 809 to calibrate my SD DVD player in REC 601 (Onkyo set to ISF mode). I am pleased to say the BR calibration repeated with Oppo needed no changes. But how does the Oppo handle the changes to 601 when playing DVDs ? How would I ensure DVD playback is correct now I have a combined HD/SD source?

The OPPO uses rec 601 when emitting 480/576 i/p (or Source Direct on DVD) and rec 709 for any higher output resolution. If you use Source Direct you'll have to handle one color standard for DVD and another for Blu-ray; if you use 1080p you should use rec 709 for both.
Quote:
I miss the Audio bit rate info from my PS3 - did I miss something within the Oppo? File size/name and info are missing too - I have multiple copies of movies for different devices (high Q, and iPad versions, for example). Have I got to handle this by organisation of folder structure instead?

Does the on-screen display not show the bit rate of a file when playing it? Or did you need to see this in the file browser? It shows a bit of meta-info for some containers, but not bit-rate that I recall.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #21440 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
It looks like Rec709, as I have it fixed to 1080p.

I wasn't sure if the 601 on the disc was being converted within the Oppo, but it sounds like you re saying it will be taken care of when upscaling.

The Audio bit rate is not shown, only (I assume) a combined video and audio rate. The PS3 shows them separately. I had got used to using it to check that I was listening to the correct audio track.

The file browser in the PS3 had a Info area, where you could see more data. File size and full name. I can live without it, just asking in case it was hiding.

Thanks,
Wayne.smile.gif
post #21441 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine66 View Post

Emailed Oppo Service, and they tell me something very strange. They say there have been some issues with skipping related to CD-Rs manufactured with green dye (their words). I assume the "green dye" they are referring to is phthalocyanine dye, used in a major number of disc media factories worldwide. Trying to isolate which of the 16 of the world's factories manufacture which brands has proven to be a daunting task, and I've ceased spending time on that. I haven't yet followed up on a reply to this comment from Oppo because I have never heard of this, and I'm looking for anyone that's had this experience with their BDP 93.

What you describe is pretty typical for poorly burned CDR media. Try burning another one at a lower speed and test again. If it's 48x-52x media try burning it at 24x or 32x. Odds are good this will resolve your issue.
post #21442 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0309 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

2TB is the maximum and it must be formatted to use MBR partitioning, not GPT.
People are using a variety of devices. The popup-toaster docks are popular: you just move a bare drive between computer and player.
-Bill

Not wanting to bring up the whole ISO thing again because people get too emotional about this...I was one of those that had converted my whole library over to ISO format and with the removal of ISO capability looked for an alternative, as at some point I am sure I will need to upgrade my FW (although I have not yet). I also wanted a device that could utilize 3TB drives.

I got a Dune player and set it up with yadis and everything has been great. It's fun organizing my collection. And now my little ones aren't handling my shiny discs or toddler-handling the trays of my transports. Plus it's fun for them to peruse the movie wall and pick their favorite cartoons and shows.

My oppo is mine again.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #21443 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sigh.

While I was able to squash the majority of HDMI handshaking problems by upgrading to the A2010, I have new problems that I am not able to eliminate. The first one is a cosmetic issue and the other appears to be related to HDMI again. Yamaha has been notified and have responded to my email but have offered no new info at this time. It has been almost two weeks since they said they would look into it.

My second problem, while I believe has nothing to do with the BDP-93, I suspect has something to do with HDMI. The first 1-2 seconds of any DTS-HD MA soundtrack from any of my three players is not audible. I've tried a number of setting changes but nothing helps.

I just wanted to share this with other people considering a change in AVRs since acquiring the BDP-93. The Yamaha RX-Axx10 series may not be your best choice.

Unfortunately, my options are limited. Onkyo and Denon are ruled out for reasons I'd rather not go into. That leaves Pioneer. The SC-67 looks to be the best match for me but it lacks multi-channel analog jacks and has a higher price tag. Perhaps I will wait and see if anything improves with the new Yamahas due in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

So I have my new receiver now and it seems to play very nice with the 93. ALL of the anomalies I was seeing before involving HDMI handshaking are now gone! I can use HDMI 1 output through the AVR without having to compromise any settings.

I went with the Yamaha RX-A2010. It is a nice upgrade for many reasons, but as often happens, there are are some things I preferred with the old (RX-V3800) AVR.

It wasn't too difficult to swap the two units out. I've done minimal tweaking and I'm pleased with the results for the most part.
post #21444 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Even though an AVR might not decode HD audio codecs, I thought many of them would accept multichannel LPCM via HDMI.
Is there a reason you are using multichannel analogue instead of LPCM over HDMI? The Oppo is doing the decoding in both cases.

Great question - I would love to use multi-channel LPCM over HDMI, but my original model Denon 4806 receiver (the non-CI version) has two flaws that make this less than ideal:

1. It only supports 5.1 LPCM over HDMI, so in order to play a 6.1 or 7.1 soundtrack with all discrete channels intact, I needed to use the analog from the Oppo (although for 6.1 soundtracks I can send them to the receiver as bitstream over HDMI - but then I am only getting the core embedded soundtrack, not the HD version)
2. It does not apply the necessary 10db boost to the LFE channel when receiving multi-channel LPCM over HDMI - so although I can send the decoded HD soundtrack to the receiver over HDMI, the impact of the LFE channel is substantially diminished

Fortunately the analog output from the Oppo sounds pretty damn good, but it bypasses all my receivers processing capabilities (bass management, THX, RoomEQ, audio delay, etc.). I could live with this, but the good news is that Denon is offering me a free software upgrade to address both of these issues with LPCM over HDMI - apparently both of these problems were corrected in the CI version of the 4806, and they are saying that this particular piece of functionality is addressable via software. I'm taking my receiver to their service center next week for the upgrade and have my fingers crossed that they are able to remove these limitations. If so, I'll be going with LPCM over HDMI from now on...

Demian
post #21445 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I've had the same experience with 5.1 DTS MA soundtracks. I'm running 7.1 analog outs to my Parasound C-2 AVR and get all 7 channels emitting sound. Fortunately I am able to circumvent the situation by simply turning off the seperate amp that is dedicated to the back surrounds.
I remember someone posting an explaination as to why it only happens with DTS MA soundtracks but can't remember the wherefor or why.

Thanks for sharing that, Torqdog - glad to hear I'm not crazy wink.gif. RDGrimes says in the next post that this is part of the DTS spec to reproduce the side surrounds in the rear surrounds if they are present - if that is the case, then it would make sense why we are experiencing that behavior (and it would also indicate that the Oppo is making that decision when outputting the soundtrack, since the receiver has no idea that DTS is being passed to it at that point).

Out of curiosity, why are you killing the rear channels when watching a 5.1 movie through analog? Maybe I'm just caught up in my new 7.1 setup, but I find it much more immersive to have the rear channels in play as well as the side channels (I am running dipoles for my side channels and rarely felt truly "surrounded" by the sound from them). I watched The Grey a few nights ago with the 7.1 setup, and it was pretty impressive stuff with those wolves howling from all around me...

Demian
post #21446 of 27027 Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The DTS specs require that when output is set to 7.1, a 5.1 track will have the side channels duplicated in the rears.

Thanks for clarifying this, rdgrimes - I'm going to have to do some reading to find out what the theory is there, but it explains what I've been experiencing. I think I actually prefer this, since the overall experience seems more enveloping to me when all 7.1 speakers are in play...

Demian
post #21447 of 27027 Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I indeed have a cable running from HDMI 2 to my receiver. Its an old one, Denon 3806, HDMI 1.1. I use it for sending the audio to the receiver, while the video goes straight (through HDMI 1) to the projector. I thought that was the normal setup for people like me with old receivers which don't support HDMI 1.4 and therefore won't pass through 3D, and is one of the reasons why the Oppo has two HDMI outs in the first place. So the player decodes the audio and sends it as LPCM via HDMI 2 to the receiver, while the video goes straight to the projector via HDMI 1. I thought when I'm playing it like that, there's no path from the receiver to the projector or anything else because everything else is powered off. I will try tonight by uncabling everything else from the receiver. If it's still an issue, I guess I would just have to use the analog outs on the Oppo for audio?

But again, all my video problems with HDMI 1 manifest equally well with or without HDMI 2 cabled in to Oppo.

I am using these Redmere cables, 35' in length, without any daisy chains or wall sockets. The website rates these cables as Full 3D support, 4K2K support, 10.2 Gbit/s, etc. etc. but who knows. Most of it is in the open, but part of it runs in a casing along the wall with some other cables, and part of it is inside my false ceiling along with the projector's power cable, which is in a separate conduit. I will try connecting the projector to the player with the Hi-Speed cable that came with the Oppo.

Deep color is OFF on both HDMI's. Also, HDMI 1 is set to "video only".

I just finished with my first experiment towards diagnosing the intermittent signal loss from HDMI 1. To summarize, the Oppo-93 is directly connected to my projector via HDMI 1, while the HDMI 2 is connected to my receiver for audio. I get occasional mad flickering like in this video, and at times the video signal is replaced by snow-only video. The later sometimes recovers on its own within a few seconds, but most of the times I have to pull the cable out of HDMI 1 and put it back in, and then all is fine till it happens again. Switching off and on everything completely in any order doesn't help. This happens typically 3-4 times while watching a single Blu-ray disc. Also, I have reproduced these issues without HDMI 2 being cabled in.

As an experiment, I just swapped the cables connecting HDMI 1 and 2. So HDMI 1 was connected to the receiver, and HDMI 2 was directly connected to the projector (with the same cable that HDMI 1 was earlier connected to the projector with). I also changed HDMI 1 to NOT be "video only" and set HDMI 2 to be the "Primary video" output. The latter caused HDMI 2 to send a 1080/60p signal to the projector as opposed to the 1080/50i signal it sent otherwise. I used disc 1 of BBC's Frozen Planet Blu-ray for experimentation, the same disc with which I had earlier got all kinds of signal loss and mad flickering issues when HDMI 1 was connected to the projector directly for video.

Under the new cabling arrangement, the video playback was absolutely fine. I did not get any flickering and the video signal did not drop even once. However, the audio signal, which now came out of HDMI 1, did go away twice, inexplicably. Powering down the Oppo or the receiver did not help, so I pulled the cable from HDMI 1 and put it back, and everything was fine immediately. FWIW, the Oppo, the projector and the receiver were the only three things powered on. There was no HDMI path to any other display or anything else. The Display button on Oppo's remote showed a data rate of 17 mbps - 40 mbps, the same that I had noticed when using HDMI 1 for video earlier. The audio signal was DTS HD MA 5.1 at 48K.

I shall next try sending 480p and 1080i signals via HDMI 1, as Bob had suggested.
post #21448 of 27027 Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Hi guys,

I hope for you a simple question but for me an inconveniance.

I have 5 my book essential harddisks 2TB each.
I have in use the front usb with a 4-hub and the back usb with also a 4-hub
I have 4 books in use in the front and 1 book in the back.

Now here is my problem...I have named the books alfabethical A to E
the first 4 books are shown as A to D but the E book is named usb1on the screen despite its given E-name.
Normally that is no big deal but I swap the books a lot...so it would be much more conveniant if the alfabet is respected...

Any tips and tricks are more then welcome...since I am about to buy a 6th book soon etc
post #21449 of 27027 Old 06-24-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post

Thanks for sharing that, Torqdog - glad to hear I'm not crazy wink.gif. RDGrimes says in the next post that this is part of the DTS spec to reproduce the side surrounds in the rear surrounds if they are present - if that is the case, then it would make sense why we are experiencing that behavior (and it would also indicate that the Oppo is making that decision when outputting the soundtrack, since the receiver has no idea that DTS is being passed to it at that point).
Out of curiosity, why are you killing the rear channels when watching a 5.1 movie through analog? Maybe I'm just caught up in my new 7.1 setup, but I find it much more immersive to have the rear channels in play as well as the side channels (I am running dipoles for my side channels and rarely felt truly "surrounded" by the sound from them). I watched The Grey a few nights ago with the 7.1 setup, and it was pretty impressive stuff with those wolves howling from all around me...
Demian
I should have been more specific........ I usually do listen to 5.1 DTS MA tracks through all 7 speakers but don't care much for concert blurays recorded in 5.1 coming out of the rears. Much of the music I listen to has dedicated instruments eminating from all 5 channels and when you add the two rears that were not intended by the studio to be playing, it just gets kinda goofy sounding IMHO. Hence, the ability to shut them off is something I utilize allot.

I'm using monopole speakers for both the side and rear surrounds and don't have any problem whatsoever feeling "surrounded". Just curious...... have you checked to make sure your speakers are balanced? You "should" be feeling immersed in sound with a dipole setup.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #21450 of 27027 Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

^ The issue they are talking about has to do with the way Blu-ray drives differ from other types of optical drive. Which is why your cheapo player reacts differently. Just see how well it works if you try to play a Blu-ray in it! biggrin.gif
Evidently a certain type of dye used in some writable discs is known to cause read reliability problems. Commercial discs are made differently and thus don't have such problems.
It's not at all uncommon for different brands of burnable media to react differently with different brands/models of drives. One way to minimize such problems is to use a slower speed when burning the writable disc.
Unfortunately, I don't know which brands of writable disc to suggest you avoid. Perhaps someone else here knows that answer.
By the way, you actually made a new thread instead of posting your question in the BDP-93 owner's thread, so don't be surprised if the moderators move both your question, and my reply, to the end of the BDP-93 thread.
--Bob

Thanks for the reply, Bob. The 2 "bad discs" in question were burned at 12x, considerably below what the burner suggested, or is capable of. When I get the time, I'm going to convert the file to AIFF, and try again at yet a slower speed. I read or saw somewhere where audio discs (R/RW) are not protected in this player by "error correction" in the same way video discs are, therefore not tolerant of physical defects or specks of dust on the surface. Could this be? Or did I dream it. Question for Oppo.

I"m at a loss also as to what optical media to avoid. I'm going to press Oppo for this, but I doubt they'll commit because of liability concerns. To accomplish this, one would have to know which brands are made with phthalocyanine dye, or coming the other way, which factories process with phthalocyanine dye and what brands are manufactured by these facilities. As I said before, that is a daunting task. Most companies that produce expensive archival optical media use this dye because of its shelf life of 100-300 years. Now is Oppo telling me that if I buy a single $30 gold archival disc made with phthalocyanine dye, I'm going to get a bad burn?????????? I have these questions, and I'll get back to you if they, in fact, offer an answer.

Again, thanks for your reply,

Sunshine66
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page