Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #211 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm happy to say that I can now roll with the cool kids over here in the OWNERS thread

Couple of questions. One, what is this "tv size" option all about? Mine was set to 46 as default.

And if I'm using hdmi for the audio into my receiver, does the crossover frequency affect me? Or is that only for analog outs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

I'm happy to say that I can now roll with the cool kids over here in the OWNERS thread

Couple of questions. One, what is this "tv size" option all about? Mine was set to 46 as default.

The manual says:

Quote:
This option applies to 3D mode, to facilitate the player adjust the 3D image for better visual quality.

Quote:
And if I'm using hdmi for the audio into my receiver, does the crossover frequency affect me? Or is that only for analog outs?

Analog only.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #213 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

So are DTS-HD HR and DTS 96/24 completely different things and DTS-HD HR will not support DTS 96/24 unaltered?

Yes, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS 96/24 are different constant bit rate lossy codecs.

DTS-HD High Resolution is a high bit rate (up to 6.0 Mbps, typically 3.0 Mbps) lossy codec designed for BD & HD DVD. It supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz audio, though most film based tracks are 16 or 24 bit 48 kHz.

DTS 96/24 is a medium bit rate (1.536 Mbps) lossy codec found on a small number of music based DVDs. When fully decoded, it is always 24 bit 96 kHz audio.

Both DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS 96/24 use the core + extension model, so both are backward compatible w/ all consumer DTS decoders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

So what does the 93 do with a DTS-96/24 CD? What does it do with a DTS-96/24 DVD?

DTS 96/24 is never found on CD, only DVD. As DTS 96/24 is a core + extension codec, the 93 will decode only the DTS core. But the 93 will bitstream output the full DTS 96/24 core + extension via S/PDIF or HDMI.

DTS offers some moderately well implemented codecs. But too many of them are so similar in practice as to be redundant. And DTS has an unfailing penchant for convoluted names. DTS Zeta. DTS Coherent Acoustics. DTS Digital Surround. Three names for one codec: lossy DTS. And DTS-HD Master Audio, it is not only an unnecessarily long name, but also a name that erroneously misleads the naive to believe that it must be a bit perfect copy of the one & only "studio master."

AJ
post #214 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

If someone is asking a simple question that is going to help them decide whether or not they are going to buy their product, and the "CSR" isnt sure of the answer, I assume that Oppo is a small place, and the engineers may be an office or two away from the customer service room...so if they dont know the answer they can just walk over and ask an engineer before answering the email, couldnt they?

Are you making a gross error in assuming how OPPO operates.

I will say this, and you can confirm this by contacting OPPO, that if the OPPO CSR does not know the answer or is unclear as to how to answer, they WILL talk to someone higher than them (this can be as simple as talking to the Manager of Technical Services, Nathaniel, or going direct to the CTO, Jason). Again, what information is then distilled to the CSR is completely up to the higher power. This power may not have any knowledge on the subject (again, maybe MTK or an even higher entity has not disclosed the function to their content partners) or they may refrain from giving a definitive answer because they are under NDA.

Don't like the answer? Try it. If Cinavia is active, return the unit. The only loss to you is the original shipping.

I'll leave this subject at this.
post #215 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

DTS offers some moderately well implemented codecs. But too many of them are so similar in practice as to be redundant. And DTS has an unfailing penchant for convoluted names. DTS Zeta. DTS Coherent Acoustics. DTS Digital Surround. Three names for one codec: lossy DTS. And DTS-HD Master Audio, it is not only an unnecessarily long name, but also a name that erroneously misleads the naive to believe that it must be a bit perfect copy of the one & only "studio master."

AJ

This made me grin! But then, I've been calling DTS "The Bane of Blu-Ray" for a few years now...
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #216 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am considering upgrading to the Oppo 93 and have a couple of questions for those of you who already have the unit:

1) Does the display show whether the audio output being sent out through HDMI is in bitstream form or if it is sending out high resolution audio that has been decoded within the player (I'm not sure if any of the current BluRay players have a display that show this),
2) Does the player come with built in wi-fi or is there a wi-fi dongle that one needs to use? If it is the latter, is there an extra charge for this? Also, how sensitive is the wi-fi?
3) How do the load times compare to the BDP-83 which got great reviews?

I am interested in an answer to the first question because my pre-pro will not decode DTS-MA or Dolby HD and so I have to decode it in the BluRay player before the signal is sent to the pre-pro. And it would be nice to have confirmation in the display that the signal I want is being sent.

Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
post #217 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Got mine all set up. I'm extremely pleased with the streaming so with all my network shares. I'm using tversity, and it's VERY stable, hasn't glitched up yet. rewinding and ffwing, pausing and what not all operate flawlessly while streaming now, huge upgrade over the 83 in this regard.

I finally found something that can replace my wd tv live for streaming. And of course, obviously all my movies look much better on the 93 than they do on the wd tv.

It seems to take slightly longer for the picture to show up on screen after the initial power up than the 83 does, but hey if that's the biggest gripe you can make about something.....that's pretty darn good

post #218 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Are you making a gross error in assuming how OPPO operates.

I will say this, and you can confirm this by contacting OPPO, that if the OPPO CSR does not know the answer or is unclear as to how to answer, they WILL talk to someone higher than them (this can be as simple as talking to the Manager of Technical Services, Nathaniel, or going direct to the CTO, Jason). Again, what information is then distilled to the CSR is completely up to the higher power. This power may not have any knowledge on the subject (again, maybe MTK or an even higher entity has not disclosed the function to their content partners) or they may refrain from giving a definitive answer because they are under NDA.

Don't like the answer? Try it. If Cinavia is active, return the unit. The only loss to you is the original shipping.

I'll leave this subject at this.

ok thanks neuromancer. as i said, i hope someone tries this before my unit ships, otherwise i guess i will be the guinea pig and report back on the results in this thread. hopefully i wasnt misled by the CSR. thanks for your help as always.
post #219 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone wanna fill me in on what the current consensus for "best all around" setting for the much touted noise reduction?

Or is it still best to leave it at zero, and assume it's unneccessary if you watch mostly blu rays?

post #220 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I am considering upgrading to the Oppo 93 and have a couple of questions for those of you who already have the unit:

1) Does the display show whether the audio output being sent out through HDMI is in bitstream form or if it is sending out high resolution audio that has been decoded within the player (I'm not sure if any of the current BluRay players have a display that show this),
2) Does the player come with built in wi-fi or is there a wi-fi dongle that one needs to use? If it is the latter, is there an extra charge for this? Also, how sensitive is the wi-fi?
3) How do the load times compare to the BDP-83 which got great reviews?

I am interested in an answer to the first question because my pre-pro will not decode DTS-MA or Dolby HD and so I have to decode it in the BluRay player before the signal is sent to the pre-pro. And it would be nice to have confirmation in the display that the signal I want is being sent.

Thanks.

Cal68

1) No. The on-screen display shows the format of the audio track selected from the disc.

2) A wifi dongle is included. Sensitivity seems fine.

3) The 93 takes longer to power up than the 83. That aside, disc load times are comparable.

You don't have to worry about the audio format. You can set HDMI LPCM output in the player and be done with it. You can also set Auto output and the player will decode and use LPCM for the Bitstream formats your prepro can't handle and will send as bitstream traditional DD or DTS audio which your prepro CAN handle. You'll never get a format sent to your prepro that it can't handle because that's all negotiated as part of the HDMI handshake.
--Bob

post #221 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Anyone wanna fill me in on what the current consensus for "best all around" setting for the much touted noise reduction?

Or is it still best to leave it at zero, and assume it's unneccessary if you watch mostly blu rays?

Leave Noise Reduction OFF unless you spot something on a given disc that you'd like to have cleaned up. This could happen on a Blu-Ray disc but will be more common on SD-DVD discs.

NR levels 2 and 3 seem to be magically effective. The Manual contains a section discussing what each level of NR provides.

By the way, you can change the Noise Reduction setting on the fly -- while watching a disc.
--Bob

post #222 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

1) No. The on-screen display shows the format of the audio track selected from the disc.

2) A wifi dongle is included. Sensitivity seems fine.

3) The 93 takes longer to power up than the 83. That aside, disc load times are comparable.

You don't have to worry about the audio format. You can set HDMI LPCM output in the player and be done with it. You can also set Auto output and the player will decode and use LPCM for the Bitstream formats your prepro can't handle and will send as bitstream traditional DD or DTS audio which your prepro CAN handle. You'll never get a format sent to your prepro that it can't handle because that's all negotiated as part of the HDMI handshake.
--Bob

Thank you very much Bob.

Cal68

Cal68
post #223 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

Zero is always the best starting point. I've never been a fan of NR on any device I've owned.

The manual has a nice summary of each level.

I was just experimenting with a pretty poor BR: "Dog Soldiers". Each step "does something", but whatever smooths out the noisy nighttime scenes tends to make indoor faces plastic looking.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #224 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

It seems to take slightly longer for the picture to show up on screen after the initial power up than the 83 does, but hey if that's the biggest gripe you can make about something.....that's pretty darn good

I think there's some optimization that can still be done in the HDMI handshaking delays that may resolve this.
--Bob

post #225 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Thank you very much Bob.

Cal68

Sure. Just so you understand, there's a THIRD option which is HDMI Audio Bitstream. If you select that, then for tracks your prepro can't handle the player will automatically switch to using the lossy compatibility track (traditional DD or DTS) which is always on disc for just such purposes. And that will be sent Bitstream. The Auto setting avoids that.

Again, the player will find out from your prepro what it can accept over HDMI during the HDMI setup handshake between them, and the only output the player will generate is formats your prepro says it can handle.
--Bob

post #226 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Bob, would I be correct in assuming that would display as "dts" on screen? It wouldn't display dts HD MA while sending the lossy core, would it? I can't test this at the moment as mine is hooked up to an HDMI 1.3 compatible receiver.
post #227 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebonker View Post

Bob, would I be correct in assuming that would display as "dts" on screen? It wouldn't display dts HD MA while sending the lossy core, would it? I can't test this at the moment as mine is hooked up to an HDMI 1.3 compatible receiver.

No it still displays the track selected off the disc. DTS-HD MA in this case.

The compatibility track for a DTS-HD MA disc is a lossy DTS track that's embedded inside that DTS-HD MA bitstream -- called the "core" audio.
--Bob

post #228 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

MAJOR kudos to oppo for making it so that the my network remembers the last folder of the share you were streaming from, and bringing you right back to it even after you have powered down the player and started it back up. It's a small touch that makes things A LOT more convenient.

post #229 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
I am experiencing something a bit odd with my new 93 when the HDMI Audio setting is set to auto. The movie( any source) will play fine for a while and then suddenly cutoff. video will return but audio requires a power down of the oppo or stop then re-start. It almost seems like a rehandshake with the receiver. When I set the unit to bitstream I don't encounter this. I have no method of testing direct to tv or projector as neither have audio capabilities. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Better yet is there any drawback to setting the oppo to bitstream permanently? I am using the HDMI 1 to a pioneer 1120 video set to auto feeding a pioneer 141 display.

Let me add that oppo has really set the bar with this unit. Only a few hours in but it honestly has met and exceeded my expectations.

In search of video bliss...
post #230 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Got mine all set up. I'm extremely pleased with the streaming so with all my network shares. I'm using tversity, and it's VERY stable, hasn't glitched up yet. rewinding and ffwing, pausing and what not all operate flawlessly while streaming now, huge upgrade over the 83 in this regard.

I finally found something that can replace my wd tv live for streaming. And of course, obviously all my movies look much better on the 93 than they do on the wd tv.

Are you streaming full bit-rate blu-ray files without problems. How about HD-Audio over DLNA?
post #231 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't streamed any m2ts files. I've tried 1080p mkv encodes of them, all work great. Not tried lossless audio though either. DTS and dolby digital 5.1 all work without a hitch.

post #232 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I'm trying to confirm if you are having the same issue that I am via my SC-07. There is a difference between the two where the Susano will not only accept a DSD signal, the DAC's will also process it as DSD while using "Pure Direct" mode. Please try the HDMI-2 output and report back. You should have both 2-channel & MCH while in DSD mode on HDMI-2.

Today I tried the HDMI-2 output and you're right, DSD is working now - I do not fully understand why but it works! Now I'm going to use or all my Audio Discs (DVD-A and SACD) with the BDP-93 HDMI-2 - it is good that the Susano has 6 HDMI inputs...

Thank you for your help!

post #233 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I am experiencing something a bit odd with my new 93 when the HDMI Audio setting is set to auto. The movie( any source) will play fine for a while and then suddenly cutoff. video will return but audio requires a power down of the oppo or stop then re-start. It almost seems like a rehandshake with the receiver. When I set the unit to bitstream I don't encounter this. I have no method of testing direct to tv or projector as neither have audio capabilities. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Better yet is there any drawback to setting the oppo to bitstream permanently? I am using the HDMI 1 to a pioneer 1120 video set to auto feeding a pioneer 141 display.

Let me add that oppo has really set the bar with this unit. Only a few hours in but it honestly has met and exceeded my expectations.

Don't use AUTO. AUTO, particularly at Chapter/Title and disc branching, can cause errors such as the POP MENU appearing, the Java time indicator coming on, video pausing momentarily, or a forced handshake with the audio and video stream which can result in no audio.

This was true for the BDP-83, so I will just assume that this will be true for the BDP-93. It is rare, but can occur.

I would just always use Bit Stream and switch to LPCM manually if there is ever a time when you need it (such as when you want to take advantage of Secondary Audio, which by nature, you would be enabling in the Setup Menu manually as well).
post #234 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
[IMG][IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] The Box it arrived in! Uploaded with ImageShack.us The first thing ya see after opening it! Uploaded with ImageShack.us The manual & the typical plush Oppo packaging Uploaded with ImageShack.us The smaller box which holds the remote, power cord, HDMI cable, & Wi-Fi adapter Uploaded with ImageShack.us The re-usable tote bag which contains the player inside Uploaded with ImageShack.us Thar she blows!! Uploaded with ImageShack.us Without the plastic sticker. A beautiful piece of machinery! Uploaded with ImageShack.us The remote & Wi-Fi adapter Uploaded with ImageShack.us The GUI remains the same except for a few minor additions such as HDMI 1 or 2 selection Uploaded with ImageShack.us The new Home Screen with Netflix & Blockbuster options added Uploaded with ImageShack.us The Netflix UI Uploaded with ImageShack.us The UI is better than my Tivo HD but not as spiffy as the PS3's[/IMG]
post #235 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post

Today I tried the HDMI-2 output and you're right, DSD is working now - I do not fully understand why but it works!

This is a known workaround for Pioneer receiver users. For some reason the Marvell Qdeo is not passing DSD over HDMI to these receivers.
post #236 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Don't use AUTO. AUTO, particularly at Chapter/Title and disc branching, can cause errors such as the POP MENU appearing, the Java time indicator coming on, video pausing momentarily, or a forced handshake with the audio and video stream which can result in no audio.

This was true for the BDP-83, so I will just assume that this will be true for the BDP-93. It is rare, but can occur.

I would just always use Bit Stream and switch to LPCM manually if there is ever a time when you need it (such as when you want to take advantage of Secondary Audio, which by nature, you would be enabling in the Setup Menu manually as well).

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

In search of video bliss...
post #237 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post

Today I tried the HDMI-2 output and you're right, DSD is working now - I do not fully understand why but it works!

For the time being, you can do one of two things:

1. If you're not using both HDMI outputs, you can use HDMI-1 directly to your monitor and HDMI-2 to your Susano.
2. (the easier way) If you are engaging any form of DSP (MCACC, etc), just change SACD to PCM. When sending a DSD signal, it has to be converted to PCM first anway in order to be processed via any DSP mode.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #238 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Does anyone have a Harmony 1000/1100 that they use with the BDP-93? I was trying to set mine up, and it seems that if I try to select any option (93/83) I cannot choose to control the Oppo with my wireless extender. I've had this problem with my HTPC, but I figured that was because it is a somewhat rare device with not so common codes. Am I missing something? Has someone gotten this to work?
post #239 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Never mind. That was my mistake. Apparently the remote was set to control a couple of gaming devices via the wireless extender and that used up all of the allotted extender positions. After removing those it was not an issue. My bad.
post #240 of 27037 Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

I have a couple of .ts video files on my network drive that the oppo doesn't see. I see in the list of supportd dlna formats that ts files are indeed on the list. Is it possible that they are not yet implemented in this beta firmware?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page