Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 853 - AVS Forum
First ... 851  852  853 854  855  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:19 PM 09-07-2013
^^^
Sounds more like an issue with the switch.

slimoli's Avatar slimoli 09:44 PM 09-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I converted 32 Megabyes to Megabits (by multiplying by 8) and got 256. Divided by the 3600 seconds in an hour, it comes out to 0.0711 Mbps, which is less than 0.1 Mbps, as you say.

It works out to about 72.8 Kbps, which is pretty poor, considering that 96 Kbps is the practical minimum for carrying 20-20Khz stereo.

96 Kbps is the sweet-spot for mobile streaming over cellphones - below that you're limited to a top audio frequency of about 10Khz, above that you run into frequent needs to reconnect and rebuffer as you move around.

You'd only need to boost the 72.8 Kbps bit rate by about a third to get to 96 Kbps. At ten times - which I doubt is used by any streaming service - you'd be up to 728 Kbps, competing with Dolby Digital, which used the stream to carry six channels.

It's more likely that the premium service runs in the 128 to 384 Kbps range.

That's right, I didn't say the Premium runs at 10 times, I said EVEN if it does the bandwidth should still be enough on any internet connection. I actually got this 32 MBps from another poster but I did the test myself using an Iphone 5 and my 24 Mbps connection and it's pretty close. Your guess about the Premium is probably correct.
Philnick's Avatar Philnick 10:09 PM 09-07-2013
Quote:

Sounds like some kind of handshake being conducted by the HDHomeRun, which stamps its feet in frustration all over the switch if it doesn't get an answer.

At least it wasn't boiling away Earth's oceans, trying to get an answer from a humpback whale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

^^^
Sounds more like an issue with the switch.

Jeez! Whaddya gotta do to get a laugh around here? Hijack a Klingon Bird of Prey and land it in a park in San Francisco?

"I didn't see that - and neither did you!"
comfynumb's Avatar comfynumb 11:22 AM 09-08-2013
Quote:

Jeez! Whaddya gotta do to get a laugh around here? Hijack a Klingon Bird of Prey and land it in a park in San Francisco?

"I didn't see that - and neither did you!"

Here you go Phil LOL!!!
Ejs71's Avatar Ejs71 05:49 PM 09-08-2013
Quote:

You can always make a lower fidelity signal louder, but that doesn't make it higher fidelity.

However, since Pandora is a streaming service, it's not likely to be available in a lossless format even to the 93 - but it may have different bit rates (and thus fidelity levels) available. It may be that the iPhone app can switch between different quality levels appropriate to running on wifi or using your cellular data plan - I assume that the app built into the 93 doesn't downshift quite as far, since it's going to be running either on wifi or ethernet!

If it makes any difference, I have Pandora on my Elite receiver, my DirecTv Genie, and the Oppo 93, and it's easy to tell the Oppo's sound is better. Also, the application just looks better, and it keeps track of played songs. It's the best Pandora app I've used so far!
blairy's Avatar blairy 02:44 AM 09-09-2013
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...bit of a long story though.

I've had a 2TB HDD loaded with music and movies attached to my BDP93 via eSATA for a couple of years now. Recently after a power outage the HDD was fried.

I've replaced the HDD, connected to PC and had it recognised in System settings, it's NTFS formatted, named it Dad's Music, created three folders and loaded it up with movies and music.

I can see the HDD fine on my PC (via USB) but it doesn't come up on the Oppo, either via eSATA nor either of the USB inputs. Shows in Win8 file explorer as 260GB free of 1.8TB.

I've successfully used a 32GB USB stick in the front USB.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong, I'm sure it's something really simple biggrin.gif

Cheers
blairy
mhobart's Avatar mhobart 03:06 AM 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...bit of a long story though.

I've had a 2TB HDD loaded with music and movies attached to my BDP93 via eSATA for a couple of years now. Recently after a power outage the HDD was fried.

I've replaced the HDD, formatted it, named it Dad's Music, created three folders and loaded it up.

I can see the HDD fine on my PC (via USB) but it doesn't come up on the Oppo, either via eSATA nor either of the USB inputs. Shows in Win8 file explorer as 260GB free of 1.8TB.

I've successfully used a 32GB USB stick in the front USB.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong, I'm sure it's something really simple biggrin.gif

Cheers
blairy

When you check on the properties of the HDD in Win8, what does it show for the drive format?
blairy's Avatar blairy 03:43 AM 09-09-2013
Not sure what format is? File system is NTFS, when I go into hardware and properties I can't get any details to populate for volumes.

Thanks
Blairy
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:15 AM 09-09-2013
Quote:

Not sure what format is? File system is NTFS, when I go into hardware and properties I can't get any details to populate for volumes.

Thanks
Blairy

We're wondering about the partition tables on the new drive. The -93 supports the older MBR method but not the newer GPT. See the FAQ: What partition tables are supported on attached hard drives?

-Bill
blairy's Avatar blairy 05:38 AM 09-09-2013
THanks Bill, I'm trying to figure that out myself:rolleyes:

Model is Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB; I'd presumed as it was (only) 2TB it would be MBR. Will have to look into this. For some reason I can't figure it out via porperties in Win8.

Thanks
blairy

And after some checking on the web, not much luck...back in to device properties of the HDD in win 8.

Right click on the HDD in file explorer, select hardware tab, select the drive from list, click properties, select details tab. This lists a huge number of properties in a drop down list. One of these is Device class GUID which I'm figuring mean I have a GPT drive and not an MBR...bother.

I'm guessing this can't be reformatted as it's a firmware issue?

Cheers
blairy
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:57 AM 09-09-2013
Quote:

THanks Bill, I'm trying to figure that out myself:rolleyes:

Model is Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB; I'd presumed as it was (only) 2TB it would be MBR. Will have to look into this. For some reason I can't figure it out via porperties in Win8.

Thanks
blairy

I think I've got a Seagate 2TB that was partitioned GPT...

-Bill
nikonf5's Avatar nikonf5 07:55 AM 09-09-2013
Quote:

Right click on the HDD in file explorer, select hardware tab, select the drive from list, click properties, select details tab. This lists a huge number of properties in a drop down list. One of these is Device class GUID which I'm figuring mean I have a GPT drive and not an MBR...bother.

TO check whether its GPT or not while its hooked up to your PC.

Start
Run
cmd and click OK

In the resulting command prompt, type the following in order:

diskpart
list disk

It will bring up a space-delimited list of your hard drives currently connected.
Find the 2TB in there and see if there is an asterisk under the GPT column.

Alternately, instead of diskpart in the above command list, you can also try diskmgmt.msc and press Enter

This will bring you the Disk Management GUI which will list all your drives.

On the bottom where it shows you the blue ribbons with your partitions, If you right-click the square on the left that has the Drive # listing for the drive you want to check, if you see an option saying Convert to GPT disk in the sub-menu, that means the drive is formatted as MBR.

Quote:

I'm guessing this can't be reformatted as it's a firmware issue?

Actually, if you can move/copy the data off of it, you can reformat it as MBR very easily.

AFTER you have moved/copied the data off, run the diskpart command as above and do the following commands in sequence at the diskpart menu to put the drive back in factory condition.

list disk
look for the disk number of the disk you want to work with [referenced as # in the next command] and be very careful to make sure you have the right disk
select disk #
clean
exit

This will completely put the drive back into factory mode and from here you can use diskmgmt.msc and the following commands:

Right-click the square that has the Disk you want to work with and select Initialize disk
Select MBR
Once initialized, right-click the space to the right of the square and select Create Partition and select all the defaults up to the Finish prompt and you are done and you can move your data back on to it.
blairy's Avatar blairy 02:41 PM 09-09-2013
Thanks nikonf5. Confirmed it's a GPT. Currently moving data off drive and will follow the next steps once done.

Cheers
blairy
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 03:58 PM 09-10-2013
Took some HD video with my Sony camera creates .mts files tried them on my Popcorn Hour with latest firmware got video no audio. Tried them on Oppo via USB hard drive worked perfectly. smile.gif
dofin's Avatar dofin 07:55 PM 09-11-2013
What a great tuto Nikonf5. It could be helpful, one of these days. Thanks a lot.
Phil_in_CA's Avatar Phil_in_CA 02:27 PM 09-12-2013
Hi all,

I have a 93 which is giving me dropouts every now and then... the first time I noticed it was while listening the flac files from my NAS, BUT now that I have played a DVD, it's doing it then too!

Whoa, that's weird! Never done that before...

Anyone have this issue? My player has been rock solid for years with all discs and streaming audio and video... now this!!!

Help?

Thanks.
Phil
bigmillz's Avatar bigmillz 03:10 PM 09-12-2013
Hi guys, I've been searching around this afternoon for an answer to one question. What firmware version on the BDP-93 removed SACD-R support? I'm trying to track down a used one...thanks!
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 03:27 PM 09-12-2013
There is no firmware on the BDP-93 which disables SACD-R. This applies only to the BDP-10x series since they now legitimately support DSD media on attached and network storage.
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 03:28 PM 09-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_in_CA View Post

I have a 93 which is giving me dropouts every now and then... the first time I noticed it was while listening the flac files from my NAS, BUT now that I have played a DVD, it's doing it then too!

Try an alternative HDMI cable as the one you are using may be defective or not seated properly int he player or your receiving equipment.
bigmillz's Avatar bigmillz 05:16 PM 09-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

There is no firmware on the BDP-93 which disables SACD-R. This applies only to the BDP-10x series since they now legitimately support DSD media on attached and network storage.

Got it..thank you!!
bajinchi's Avatar bajinchi 05:39 PM 09-15-2013
Hi,

I´m looking for some guidance regarding the OPPO BDP-93.
I´ve several 3D MKV files... but I need to add subtitles... and this is something I can´t do it right.

No matter if the subtitle is .ASS or .SSA the subtitle is shown half in the right side of the picture, and the other half, in the left side of the same picture... and in the center is nothing...
The subtitles are converted to 3D, if I play these files on mi iMAC... I can see the double subtitle... but in the OPPO only one in the center, when the 3D is activated... It splits... frown.gif

I´d tried all what was at my hand, read tons of tutorials... but nothing that I can do to make it work with the OPPO BDP-93...

I´m streaming from my iMAC to the OPPO using PS3 Media Server or Universal Media Server... the only problems are with 3D MKV...

Also I copy these files to an USB drive... the same

If it helps, it have the latest firmware installed.

Thanks in advance
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 08:18 PM 09-15-2013
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the player. The player will not split the subtitles, so the subtitles will always be displayed in the middle. So when you do a 3D conversion, the subtitles will be mixed.
bajinchi's Avatar bajinchi 08:25 PM 09-15-2013
Hi Neuromancer,

Thanks a lot for your response.
There´s no way to make this work? Maybe embedding the subtitle with the video? Or so...
And why in a 3D Bluray I can see the subtitles as it should be?

Nothing at all? Can´t believe this...

Thanks!
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 08:42 PM 09-15-2013
If you embedded the subtitles into the stream, you would need to make sure they are embedded split (ie. duplicate the subtitles horizontally or vertically) otherwise you will run into the same issues. The subtitles are mixed prior to the video processing, which is why the subtitles display incorrectly when converting to 3D.
MSchu18's Avatar MSchu18 07:15 PM 09-17-2013
I have an issue with my region free 93... I have never had an issue playing ANY region disk until today. I tried to play 2 different french region B discs and could not(one was actually region ABC).
I get an error message stating the TV resolution can not play the disk, please change the resolution.
I tried several different settings but could not play the disk... HOWEVER, I do get sound. is this a PAL issue or something else I am missing?
thanks
Michael
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 08:20 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I have an issue with my region free 93... I have never had an issue playing ANY region disk until today. I tried to play 2 different french region B discs and could not(one was actually region ABC).
I get an error message stating the TV resolution can not play the disk, please change the resolution.
I tried several different settings but could not play the disk... HOWEVER, I do get sound. is this a PAL issue or something else I am missing?
thanks
Michael

It might be a frame rate issue.

What is your output resolution set at? What do you have TV System set at?

If the disc has 50hz content and you are using Source Direct and your TV does not accept 50hz, many displays will say "Unsupported Mode" or something similar.

Same if you are using 1080p and have TV System set to Auto or PAL.

The solution is to use 1080p with TV System set to NTSC.

If that is not it, please post the exact message you are getting, along with the video settings on the player.

-Bill
Geezer's Avatar Geezer 09:21 PM 09-17-2013
My physical eject button no longer functions. I must rely on the remote. Funny thing is I never use it much as I mostly watch movies at night & it's too dark to find the button.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:27 PM 09-17-2013
^ OPPO offers inexpensive flat-rate service for players out of warranty.

Even if you don't feel like sending it in, give OPPO a call. They may have some things for you to try.
--Bob
indieke2's Avatar indieke2 11:02 PM 09-17-2013
Have an issue with my non-modified player. Once and a while; when playing from Hard Disc, the movie stops, and the player is bricked. Cannot play, stop or skip, it is dead. i can turn it of though, and everything is back to normal, can just continue the movie, where it left off.

I have the old firmware that plays Iso's, maybe that is the problem, I don't know. But it never did this before, and now it happens from time to time. Not with the same hard disc. Another annoying thing is the fact that, when I stop a movie, next day, I cannot resume it, when it is read from a folder and not a disc.
Rick R's Avatar Rick R 06:16 AM 09-18-2013
This Beta firmware released March 18, 2013 has been hanging around for a long time, anyone know when it might become final or is another Beta expected.

Note also that for the 95 it states there is no Beta but on the 93 firmware page the firmware is stated as being for the 93 and 95 confused.gif
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
First ... 851  852  853 854  855  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop