AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
oShare doesn't. Sometimes other DLNA servers try transcoding operations by default, which often need to be turned off.

If there is a bottleneck in the path it is probably the network. I recall something about gigabyte networks being hampered by non-gigabyte devices, of which the OPPO is one. There was a network setting, but I'm not recalling it now. Maybe someone else?

-Bill
I'm a satisfied user of oShare on my many-year-old AMD desktop. In fact, I've heard that Oppo itself uses oShare for its in-house testing.

Many routers have a Quality of Service ("QOS") setting that lets you give certain devices priority on the network. I've set my ancient blue Linksys wifi g router to give priority on the network to my Oppo and my Roku (since they're connected to the same projector, I'd never be using both at once), but there's very little to that configuration. On some routers, that screen is a confusing maze.

For listening to my music away from home, I keep a second UPnP server running, the foo_upnp plugin for foobar2000. As my usual client on the move is my Android phone, I paid $5 for the Bubbleupnp client for the phone (the only part of this that costs anything) and I run the Bubbleupnp internet server to syndicate foo_upnp - which was written by the same programmer. The Bubbleupnp server is configured through a browser, like a router.

On the phone, I scroll down past all of the proffered tag sorting options to Folder at the bottom, which lets me use my cross-filed index tree, which I've described here before.

The nicest thing about this combo is the Bubbleupnp server can be told by its client to send music in CD resolution (44/16 PCM) if the phone is on WiFi, but to transcode music to mp3s when the phone is using the phone company's internet connection (I use 128k, since 96k isn't an option), to conserve bandwidth - and the client automatically tells the server to do the switch-over when the client sees which kind of connection it's using.

Also, by running foo_upnp in Foobar2000 as a client (it's both) on my laptop, I have access to my music library in CD resolution while traveling.

The phone client, and the desktop client, are capable of gapless playback, by the way - but that doesn't work if the player, like the Oppo, isn't.

-Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26852 of 27084 Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I recently bought a pair of "4K Mastered" Blu-ray disks. They're standard 1080p disks that leave off any extra features so they can use less video compression and look very good as a result. They also say they come from 4K masters.

One interesting note is that they say that they have even better color if your system can handle 4:4:4 color. Would that be the Deep Color setting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, it's a proprietary Sony thing that only works on Sony Blu-ray players connected to Sony UHDTVs. Documentation about what exactly they've done is sketchy.
I've looked at the manual's description of the HDMI Color Space Options. It says that the Auto settings will choose 4:4:4 if the display supports that; and it also provides a fixed 4:4:4 setting, so it does not appear that only Sony Blu-ray players support 4:4:4, and following this thread's recommendations in its Settings Checklist, I've had my Oppo set to the fixed 4:4:4 choice since I first got it.

The question is whether my Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector supports 4:4:4. There is no explicit reference to color spaces in the projector's manual, but there is a reference to HDMI signal level that gives a choice between normal and extended "HDMI signal levels." I don't know exactly what that means.

It would be nice if the Info display on the Oppo would say what color space is in effect - then setting it to Auto would tell me what the display is capable of!

Last edited by Philnick; 06-12-2014 at 11:37 PM.
post #26853 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playing files from HD

Guys: I finally transferred all my CDs to a hard drive and am a pretty happy camper. The songs (in flac) are in individual folders corresponding to the given CD. Is there a way to make the player to automatically continue to the next FOLDER after finishing playing all the songs in a previous folder? Right now it is stopping when all the songs in a folder are played. I don't think so but I thought I'd ask the experts. Can any other Oppo do that? Thanks.
post #26854 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtekmk2 View Post
Guys: I finally transferred all my CDs to a hard drive and am a pretty happy camper. The songs (in flac) are in individual folders corresponding to the given CD. Is there a way to make the player to automatically continue to the next FOLDER after finishing playing all the songs in a previous folder? Right now it is stopping when all the songs in a folder are played. I don't think so but I thought I'd ask the experts. Can any other Oppo do that? Thanks.
The browser has an All Music option which will flatten the folders and put all the files in a single pool, but I'm not remembering if it keeps them in folder order. Probably it just does an alpha sort of them all.

Alternatively, hard links are supported on NTFS devices. It would be a manual effort to set up, but it is persistent and you could arrange your files and folders however you like.

See Are hard links supported on NTFS volumes?

-Bill
post #26855 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
I've looked at the manual's description of the HDMI Color Space Options. It says that the Auto settings will choose 4:4:4 if the display supports that; and it also provides a fixed 4:4:4 setting, so it does not appear that only Sony Blu-ray players support 4:4:4, and following this thread's recommendations in its Settings Checklist, I've had my Oppo set to the fixed 4:4:4 choice since I first got it.

The question is whether my Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector supports 4:4:4. There is no explicit reference to color spaces in the projector's manual, but there is a reference to HDMI signal level that gives a choice between normal and extended "HDMI signal levels." I don't know exactly what that means.

It would be nice if the Info display on the Oppo would say what color space is in effect - then setting it to Auto would tell me what the display is capable of!
The 10x players add the ability to see what's going out on the HDMI outputs. The 9x players do not have that.

What Sony is doing with those fake "4K™" discs is a bit complicated. (They are of course no more than 1080p on disc, as is true of ALL Blu-ray discs.) They are using the xvYCC color space, which is a kludge built on top of YCbCr 4:4:4. It requires support in both the player and the display. The OPPO does not support it and so even if you have a Sony display you won't see any difference from "normal". Basically it allows encoding of a range of colors outside the normal color gamut.

xvYCC is not likely to achieve any further support anywhere as it is expected to be replaced by TRUE wide color gamut encoding in upcoming 4K content standards. I.e., xvYCC is already on the way out. Go to Wikipedia and read up on REC 2020 if you are curious.

(xvYCC encoding is separate from "Deep Color" -- i.e., more than 24 bits per pixel. REC 2020 encoding on the other hand assumes more than 24 bits per pixel encoding, and so it is part and parcel with "Deep Color".)

The YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Space is the default Color Space for connection between two HDMI devices. And so yes, the OPPO supports it.
--Bob
bruceames likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #26856 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The 10x players add the ability to see what's going out on the HDMI outputs. The 9x players do not have that.

What Sony is doing with those fake "4K™" discs is a bit complicated. (They are of course no more than 1080p on disc, as is true of ALL Blu-ray discs.) They are using the xvYCC color space, which is a kludge built on top of YCbCr 4:4:4. It requires support in both the player and the display. The OPPO does not support it and so even if you have a Sony display you won't see any difference from "normal". Basically it allows encoding of a range of colors outside the normal color gamut.

xvYCC is not likely to achieve any further support anywhere as it is expected to be replaced by TRUE wide color gamut encoding in upcoming 4K content standards. I.e., xvYCC is already on the way out. Go to Wikipedia and read up on REC 2020 if you are curious.

(xvYCC encoding is separate from "Deep Color" -- i.e., more than 24 bits per pixel. REC 2020 encoding on the other hand assumes more than 24 bits per pixel encoding, and so it is part and parcel with "Deep Color".)

The YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Space is the default Color Space for connection between two HDMI devices. And so yes, the OPPO supports it.
--Bob
Bob -

While I'm not about to spend big bucks on them, I was able to pick up two used disks from Amazon Warehouse for about $12 apiece: the original Ghostbusters, which I only had on DVD, and the second Toby Maguire Spider-Man film (the one with Doc Ock).

The "4K Mastered" Ghostbusters was the same price as the standard Blu-ray of that film. It didn't have any of the extra features, which would have required a second disk, since the appeal of the 4K Mastered disks is that less video compression is used. I was particularly influenced by some commenter on line who pointed out that there was much less DNR and EE than on the standard issue. It looks like an old film, like it should.

The Spider-Man film does look better than the original Blu-ray release in the trilogy set - particularly in what background characters look like - more detailed, and the color gradations are smoother. This is with my 93 set to 4:4:4 as always, directly feeding my old Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p LCD projector over HDMI (I run 5.1 analog audio since my old AVR has no HDMI inputs or outputs).

I wouldn't pay $40 for one of these disks, but for the price of a regular Blu-ray "used" (the Spidey flick was actually still shrink-wrapped; one corner of the shiny cardbord sleeve that gets thrown away anyway was a little crushed, but it was otherwise pristine.

I wouldn't call them "fake." They're the same idea as the old SuperBit DVDs, which also sacrificed extras to use less video compression and thus gave a better image. It's the same kind of difference for video as the difference between DD and DD+: still not lossless, but less lossy.

- Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #26857 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What Sony is doing with those fake "4K™" discs is a bit complicated. (They are of course no more than 1080p on disc, as is true of ALL Blu-ray discs.) They are using the xvYCC color space, which is a kludge built on top of YCbCr 4:4:4. It requires support in both the player and the display.
From my understanding, it's not really xvYCC either, or at least not standardized xvYCC. If you turn on the xvYCC feature in a Samsung or LG player, for example, it will not read the metadata on the Sony "Mastered in 4k" discs. The metadata is proprietary and will only work with Sony Blu-ray players connected to Sony UHDTVs.

From people who have gotten it to work, there has been much debate as to whether it does anything useful for the picture quality or just throws the image's calibration out of whack for the sake of making the colors "pop" more.
bruceames likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #26858 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
. . . .

I wouldn't call them "fake." They're the same idea as the old SuperBit DVDs, which also sacrificed extras to use less video compression and thus gave a better image. It's the same kind of difference for video as the difference between DD and DD+: still not lossless, but less lossy.

- Phil
They are patently fake because they are being sold as 4K when the content on disc is, in reality, only 1080p. They are being sold to people who purchased 4K™ UHDTVs as if that's what you need to take full advantage of your shiny new UHDTV.

It's the exact same marketing gimic as when HDTVs came out and the studios started labeling standard definition DVDs as "Mastered in 1080p".

There is no doubt that a more carefully produced Blu-ray transfer is better than a shoddy Blu-ray transfer. And on the whole, the Blu-rays marketed as "Mastered in 4K" *HAVE* been better. But the 4K labeling is just a gimic.

It would look just as good if they had labeled it, "Oh by the way, we did it right this time."
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #26859 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The browser has an All Music option which will flatten the folders and put all the files in a single pool, but I'm not remembering if it keeps them in folder order. Probably it just does an alpha sort of them all.

Alternatively, hard links are supported on NTFS devices. It would be a manual effort to set up, but it is persistent and you could arrange your files and folders however you like.

See Are hard links supported on NTFS volumes?

-Bill
Thanks, Bill. Yeah, All Music sorts all my 10,000 songs by the number, and then alphabetically. Kind of cool, because it picks the first song from every album, sorts them alphabetically, then the second song, and so on. I like to have the music play all day long in the background, so I get a nice mix...It would have been nice to be able to do that WITHIN a folder, though, not the whole HD. For example, I have a folder named Miles Davis, and in it his discography in nested folders. It would be nice to be able to select All Music within the Miles Davis folder, just to have MD run all day long... Maybe Oppo will include such a feature in future players/firmwares.
post #26860 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You may have overlooked the Repeat, Random and Shuffle playback operations, which will act within a folder for media file music playback. See the Manual.
--Bob

post #26861 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
I just finished performing the FW update and listened to some 5.1 channel music and a few difficult dialog movies afterwards. A slight improvement was noticed over the settings I had entered using Bob's workaround formula. It's a heck of a lot better than before the workaround. Seems like at long last, we have some accurate speaker distance settings. Woohoo!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #26862 of 27084 Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtekmk2 View Post
Thanks, Bill. Yeah, All Music sorts all my 10,000 songs by the number, and then alphabetically. Kind of cool, because it picks the first song from every album, sorts them alphabetically, then the second song, and so on. I like to have the music play all day long in the background, so I get a nice mix...It would have been nice to be able to do that WITHIN a folder, though, not the whole HD. For example, I have a folder named Miles Davis, and in it his discography in nested folders. It would be nice to be able to select All Music within the Miles Davis folder, just to have MD run all day long... Maybe Oppo will include such a feature in future players/firmwares.
A simple way to do this would be to create a definition file for your server that only shares the Miles Davis branch of the tree, and nothing else - All Music would then do that.

With oShare this would be trivially-easy, since its list of folders is a simple numbered list in ASCII text in its "oShare.INI" file.

Make a copy of your normal oShare.ini called Normal-oShare.ini.

Then edit your oShare.ini file to include only the path to the top Miles Davis folder and no other folders. Make a copy of that INI file and name it MilesDavis-oShare.ini.

Then going back and forth is just a matter of exiting oShare, deleting oShare.ini, copying either your MilesDavis-oShare.ini file or Normal-oShare.ini to the active name, oShare.ini, and re-starting oShare.

Don't just rename them because then you'd end up having to recreate them.

Google "Open Command Window Here" for instructions on how to get to a DOS command prompt from Windows Explorer for these file operations - you could even automate it with a pair of simple batch files.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-14-2014 at 09:13 AM.
post #26863 of 27084 Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up PS No reset needed

Turned out that removing any disk from the drawer was all that was needed to restore access to the DVD-A and HDCP options lines in setup. I didn't have to do the ritual reset to factory defaults or erasing persistent memory.

post #26864 of 27084 Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post
Just wanted to say that since I installed the latest firmware a couple days ago, multi-channel audio via the analog outputs seems to have improved quite a bit, especially the imaging and bass clarity (which is to be expected obviously). I didn't think the delay fix would make such a big difference... at least to my ears it has.

btw, does anyone else here own a DVD-A of Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat album? At some point since the previous firmware update (October 2013) my BDP-93 lost the ability to play through the disk, getting hung up on the last half of the album. I was hoping the latest firmware might possibly fix it but it hasn't. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or do I need to try to find another DVD-A of the album?

thanks...
In fact, as far as I can perceive, the sound not only changed the analog output , also in HDMI digital,
It seems that they varied the balance at low frequencies, this makes the mid and high frequencies are more prominent, so that the dialogue and the environment are perceived more and gives the impression that the overall sound is better.
In my opinion this change hurts the overall balance of the frequency spectrum and as a result the overall sound has less body and is now worse than before although it seems otherwise.
They did the same with the 83 two years ago.

Jorge Garcia

THX, Audyssey, ISF , Mason certified
post #26865 of 27084 Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Any change you are hearing on HDMI is coming from your AVR. To prove it, set HDMI Audio Bitstream, Secondary Audio OFF. Nothing is being done in the OPPO to that Bitstream output.

If you are testing with Bitstream tracks on either Analog or on HDMI LPCM, also check you have Dynamic Range Control OFF as there are known cases of bad DRC data on commercial discs.
--Bob
post #26866 of 27084 Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

The iOS version of the new, OPPO Remote app, v2.0.0 is now available on Apple's iOS App Store. Be sure you've updated your player to the latest firmware.
--Bob
post #26867 of 27084 Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just a note - the latest firmware doesn't seem to appear in the first post anymore.
post #26868 of 27084 Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The Horror! The Horror!

In the interim, the details on the latest firmware for the 93/95 can be found on OPPO's Support page here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-80-0513.aspx

--Bob
lotohnz likes this.

post #26869 of 27084 Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just another note - the latest non-beta firmware a few days ago was not made available to me on my '93 (I was allegedly also up to date when I tried to update the firmware via the menus, but I hadn't updated it for several months (no betas)). Had to download and install it from the website.
post #26870 of 27084 Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I, too, was quite surprised that the 93 didn't discover a firmware upgrade available from the Internet . Like you, I also had to place the UPG folder onto a USB drive and install it to my 93 that way.

Which brings me to several new questions.

(1) The 103 home screen shows a "BD" icon corresponding to the BluRay player. So in addition to being able to navigate to all the other apps (including Netflix), you can simply play discs as well.

In contrast, there is no "BD" icon on the 93 home screen. So if you do push the HOME button (say you plan to stream from Netflix) and you now want to get back to the BluRay player for discs, how does one get back to the player screen?? What is the recommended button-push sequence or navigation method you go through to get back to the player Oppo logo screen?

I suppose if I have it set up for auto-play, simply opening the tray and inserting a disc and closing the tray would trigger playback to begin. But I'm curious as to how one would otherwise get back to the Oppo logo screen (i.e. as the "BD" icon doe son the 103's home page)?

(2) The Netflix app on the latest official 93 firmware is NOT the latest Netflix app version currently present on the 103's latest official firmware. So whereas the "i" (INFO) button on the 103's remote now shows "1080 Super HD" when viewing a Netflix stream, using the "i" button on the 93 shows absolutely nothing when viewing a Netflix stream.

I wanted to know what was being sent to my 93 (which is set to 1080p, and thus would deliver 1080p no matter what was arriving at the 93) for delivery on to my connected Sony KDL-32XBR9 set. So I decided to change the 93 to "source direct", thinking I would then be able to use the DISPLAY button on the TV's remote to see what it was receiving. With the 93 in 1080p mode it showed "1080p 16x9 full pixel".

Strangely, with the 93 set to "source direct" the Netflix stream (presumably now just passing through the Oppo directly to the 32XBR9), the DISPLAY button on the TV now unexpectedly showed "720p 4:3 normal"!! Huh?? (note that "normal" is the designation for 4:3 OAR, with black bars on left and right when viewing 4:3 content)

And of course, it really did appear as "postage stamp" on the screen, within the 4:3 area and seemingly horizontally compressed as well. Both programs I streamed are actually wider than 16x9, and have black bars at top and bottom even when viewed as 1080p, but they did not look right at "720p 4:3 normal".

So, why does the Oppo in "source direct" not tell the Netflix app that the connected TV can in fact receive 1080p 16x9? When Netflix is not running, and I get into the Oppo's setup (while still in "source direct"), the DISPLAY button on the TV shows that the Oppo is talking to the TV in the expected "1080p 16x9 full pixel". But when viewing a Netflix stream in "source direct", it's now "720p 4:3 normal".
post #26871 of 27084 Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
. . .
(1) The 103 home screen shows a "BD" icon corresponding to the BluRay player. So in addition to being able to navigate to all the other apps (including Netflix), you can simply play discs as well.

In contrast, there is no "BD" icon on the 93 home screen. So if you do push the HOME button (say you plan to stream from Netflix) and you now want to get back to the BluRay player for discs, how does one get back to the player screen?? What is the recommended button-push sequence or navigation method you go through to get back to the player Oppo logo screen?
. . .
Just press the HOME button again - it toggles back-and-forth between the logo screen and the screen with all of the online options.

post #26872 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Just press the HOME button again - it toggles back-and-forth between the logo screen and the screen with all of the online options.
Well, I'll be! Couldn't have been simpler. Probably should have been able to guess that, or stumble into it. Maybe even look in the manual.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
post #26873 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I, too, was quite surprised that the 93 didn't discover a firmware upgrade available from the Internet . Like you, I also had to place the UPG folder onto a USB drive and install it to my 93 that way.

Which brings me to several new questions.

. . . .

(2) The Netflix app on the latest official 93 firmware is NOT the latest Netflix app version currently present on the 103's latest official firmware. So whereas the "i" (INFO) button on the 103's remote now shows "1080 Super HD" when viewing a Netflix stream, using the "i" button on the 93 shows absolutely nothing when viewing a Netflix stream.

I wanted to know what was being sent to my 93 (which is set to 1080p, and thus would deliver 1080p no matter what was arriving at the 93) for delivery on to my connected Sony KDL-32XBR9 set. So I decided to change the 93 to "source direct", thinking I would then be able to use the DISPLAY button on the TV's remote to see what it was receiving. With the 93 in 1080p mode it showed "1080p 16x9 full pixel".

Strangely, with the 93 set to "source direct" the Netflix stream (presumably now just passing through the Oppo directly to the 32XBR9), the DISPLAY button on the TV now unexpectedly showed "720p 4:3 normal"!! Huh?? (note that "normal" is the designation for 4:3 OAR, with black bars on left and right when viewing 4:3 content)

And of course, it really did appear as "postage stamp" on the screen, within the 4:3 area and seemingly horizontally compressed as well. Both programs I streamed are actually wider than 16x9, and have black bars at top and bottom even when viewed as 1080p, but they did not look right at "720p 4:3 normal".

So, why does the Oppo in "source direct" not tell the Netflix app that the connected TV can in fact receive 1080p 16x9? When Netflix is not running, and I get into the Oppo's setup (while still in "source direct"), the DISPLAY button on the TV shows that the Oppo is talking to the TV in the expected "1080p 16x9 full pixel". But when viewing a Netflix stream in "source direct", it's now "720p 4:3 normal".

This is a settings problem in your TV.

I just checked with the HDMI 1 output of the 93 connected to HDMI BACK Input of the 105D. Cabled this way, I can use the on-screen Info display of the 105D to see what the 93 is sending out.

With the 93 set to Source Direct, and playing a Netflix HD stream, it is sending 720p/60 video flagged as 16:9 aspect ratio, which is correct. This is true whether the TV Aspect Ratio setting in the 93 is set to "16:9 Wide" or to "16:9 Wide/Auto".

So what's likely going on here is that your TV requires a MANUAL choice of aspect ratio processing, and that it is remembering that choice separately for each possible video input resolution. So when it sees 720p input coming from the 93, it uses whatever its last setting was for 720p input -- which in this case is evidently "4:3 normal". Just use the Picture Size control on the TV to change that (while viewing 720p input) and you should be fine. If I've got this right, any adjustment you make for 720p input won't affect 1080i or 1080p input.

------------------------------------------------------

As to the Netflix app itself, after the 93 was certified by Netflix for the original app release Netflix updated their hardware requirements for future Blu-ray player support. Only players with newer hardware meeting those requirements are supported for the newer Netflix apps. (Even then, the player maker has to convince Netflix to OFFER the app on that player.)

The upshot is that the 93 is unlikely to ever get the same version of the Netflix app as is now on the 10x players.

------------------------------------------------------

The firmware should have been available for network install so long as you were not currently running a Public Beta firmware. It may be you attempted the network install before the update server went live with the new firmware, or there may have been a temporary problem with the update server.
--Bob

post #26874 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
^Coincidentally I ran into the same problem last week when the wife was watching Netflix on the BDP-93.
I also have a Sony 1080p LCD display, and when I set the -93 to Source Direct it does the same thing that DSperber is describing.
I don't know for sure what the detailed info is coming in, but it produces borders on all sides of the pic.
If I change the output of the -93 to 1080p and not Source Direct, then the screen is full again with no border bars.

I am 99.999% sure my TV settings are all set to output unaltered video. IE: 1080p in = 1080p out.
I will try to retest this again today if I can.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #26875 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Look for a picture size adjustment in the TV. The same place where you set whether you see all of a 1080p picture or lose some around the edges to overscan. 720p input likely has a different memory for that setting, which you can only adjust while 720p input is happening.
--Bob
post #26876 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
^Ahhh that must be it... I will try looking at the TV settings while sending it different resolutions, and those same resolutions on different inputs.
Just got the tv used a few months ago and haven't taken the time to go though the fine details beyond basic calibration.
Since I have (thus far) run the -93 to that display via 1080p, having it unintentionally set to Source Direct must have exposed the unaltered set of settings @ 720p.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #26877 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, although I obviously can use the WIDE button on the XBR9's remote to zoom what is coming from the Netflix app, that still has no effect on what is coming from the Netflix app. The real problem is that the Netflix app is sending 720p and not 1080p, and also that it is sending 4:3 and not 16:9.

Sure, I can zoom the 720p to "full" (stretching it to fill the screen, though it's still originally delivered as 720p within 4:3 content), or "full pixel" (which reverts it to "postage stamp", i.e. 16:9 within the 4:3 area and with black bars on top). But this is all still NOT what is expected.

What is expected is to get 1080p from Netflix, not 720p. This is not a network issue. If I change the 93 from "source direct" to AUTO or 1080p, the output from the Netflix app is clearly now visually 1080p quality (from what I'm sure is 1080 Super HD I'm sure, although I can't be sure since there is no "i" function on the 93 as there is on the 103), and most certainly must also be 1080p 16:9. Actually, I DO have a 103 as well, and could grab it from the other room and connect it to the output of the 93 as you did, just to find out for sure (but this is fairly inconvenient for me, so I may just pass).

Granted, this might just be some quirk relating to the 32XBR9, but there's nothing in its setup to influence the 93 to cause the symptom I'm seeing. Yes, there is a 4:3 aspect ratio control and I have "4:3 normal" because I want 4:3 OAR (i.e. with black bars on left and right), rather than any stretch-o-vision presentation. But that only should come into play if the set receives 4:3 480i, and it only determines how the set displays 4:3... not having anything to do with its HD or 16:9 capabilities.

This problem is seemingly entirely the result of how "source direct" on the 93 passes information about the TV's discovered resolution and aspect ratio capabilities back to the Netflix app, and which is somehow concluding that nothing higher than 720p is possible, and also that the TV isn't capable of 16:9 presentation. Could also be a Netflix app problem on the 93, but again if I go from "source direct" to 1080p or AUTO on the 93 this problem disappears.

Again, I was really only trying to confirm that I was getting "1080 Super HD" out of the 93 on that set, and because of the lack of "i" capability using DISPLAY on the TV was the only alternative, and that required "source direct" from the 93 to avoid always showing 1080p and hiding what I wanted to discover, and that's what uncovered this mysterious conundrum of undesirable results. I'll obviously just have to go back to 1080p or AUTO on the 93, and accept what I believe to be "1080 Super HD" for what I'm seeing.

Any other thoughts? Still seems like a problem with "source direct" and the Netflix app on the 93 to me.
post #26878 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The older app provided by Netflix for the 93 only handles up to 720p streams. Source Direct output at 720p/60 is correct. This is not a network speed limitation or anything like that. The app itself is limited to 720p. When you set 1080p output, the 93 is upscaling the 720p Netflix stream to 1080p for output.

The app provided by Netflix for the 93 is not capable of accepting 1080p Netflix streams (at any bit rate -- i.e., including "Super HD").

And as I said, I've just tested Source Direct for Netflix on the 93, and the 93 *IS* sending that as 16:9, not 4:3.

ETA: In the 93 make sure Setup > Video Setup > TV Aspect Ratio is set to either 16:9 Wide or 16:9 Wide/Auto.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-22-2014 at 08:12 PM.
post #26879 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Aha! I didn't realize the 93 was limited to 720p in its Netflix app. That's the missing info I didn't have until now.

And yes, the 93 has aspect ratio set to 16:9 WIDE/AUTO.

I guess I just thought I was seeing true 1080p from Netflix when the 93 was set to AUTO or 1080p, but obviously I was incorrect. If the Netflix app can only deliver 720p on the 93, then that's all I could possibly have been seeing.

There is a LARGE visual difference when viewing (1) 720p from Netflix "source direct" on the XBR9 (i.e. sent as "native" 720p to the XBR9), even when zoomed to "full" so that it looks like 16:9 (even though, again, the TV says it's getting 4:3 sent to it, not 16:9), vs. (2) 720p from Netflix upconverted and "processed" to 1080p 16:9 by the 93 for delivery to the XBR9, when AUTO/1080p is set on the 93 instead of "source direct".

Thanks for the insights.

Incidentally, the new info about the limit of 720p in the Netflix app for the 93 may also explain another mystery I've been dwelling on for a while now.

My sister in Chicago (Comcast) has a Sony BDP-S5100 which during my last visit I wired-connected to the LAN in her house, and configured the Netflix app on the S5100 using my streaming account. However the performance and image quality was consistently terrible. Low SD 240/480 resolutions, or maybe 480p. but never or just briefly getting to 720p before dropping again, and certainly never reaching 1080p as I might have expected.

I confirmed the latest firmware on the S5100. And this was shortly after the Comcast/Netflix monopoly deal so I had assumed it wouldn't be caused an intentional "slowdown" any longer, if at all here. Nevertheless, the performance out of the S5100 was (and still is) horrid.

I guess it's now apparent it could all be due to the old Netflix app on the S5100, and/or the S5100 player itself. Clearly what's now needed is an upgrade to a 103! This would also provide the benefit of her Comcast HDTV source being fed into the external HDMI input of this [potential] 103, improving not only Netflix streaming but also everyday HDTV... as well as BluRay discs (which she plays from her own Netflix disc subscription).

The S5100 player does "play nice" with the 55" Sony LCD set she has (don't recall the model, but it's a very good one about 2 years old), via CEC, and she likes that. She just pops a disc in the S5100 and the TV comes on and changes to the BluRay HDMI input source. But I suspect the 103's CEC mechanism would probably work the same way with her Sony TV.

Looks like I know what the next occasion's "gift" will be.

thanks again.
post #26880 of 27084 Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The newer Netflix app in the 10x players will also give you 5.1 Surround Sound for programs that offer it.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page