Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #26881 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^Regarding the above issue seen by DSperber and myself on our Sony displays, and the 720p resolution resulting in decreased picture size.
After recalibrating my display tonight and playing with settings, I have determined that it is definitely as issue with the tv, not with the Oppo.
I have the Oppo on Input2, and I have my U-verse STB on Input1.
The Uverse box only has two HD options, and that is to output 720p full time, or 1080i full time. I always have mine on 1080i since most channels broadcast in that resolution.
Anyway, I tried switching it to 720p tonight and I get the exact same problem as when sending 720p from the -93.
Switch it back to 1080i, and the pic fills the screen again like it should.

I don't know what is going on there. I have gone through all the settings in the display and there is no different setting for individual resolutions.
The same settings apply full time on any given input, though you can calibrate them separately for different inputs.
Anyway, there are only a couple settings for the picture and I always keep it on "full pixel" which is like a source direct type setting.
Whatever is coming into the display is what is shown... no zoom or overscan.
There are a couple other display settings that didn't seem to make any difference at all, so those didn't help.
The only way to get 720p to fill the screen is to use one the zoom modes, like the one called "FULL".
...AND, if I send 480p, the pic is even smaller on screen than with 720p, with gigantic black bars around all 4 sides.
At least I only paid $150 for it used, and I can always send 1080i for cable and 1080p from a player.

The moral of the story?... Sony is retarded. Now back to your irregularly scheduled Oppo babble.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26882 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Why do certain people do this "^" instead of using the quote button? Makes no sense.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #26883 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 774
^ No need to quote something that's the prior post. It's sitting right there to refer to.
--Bob
post #26884 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ No need to quote something that's the prior post. It's sitting right there to refer to.
--Bob
Unless another poster hits their submit post button first.
post #26885 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Why do certain people do this "^" instead of using the quote button? Makes no sense.
I would be glad to use the old "quote" method, but unfortunately the new VB forum software has a very annoying bug which has not yet been resolved. MY response (shown under the quoted text above) will be yellow (in the dark theme), because it has been presented as a LINK!!

So all of my text is yellow and underlined (if you hover your cursor over it), making it very annoying.

Once the forum techies get this problem fixed, I think, you'll see lots more "quote" usage again as used to be the case with previous forum software. I know I don't want to use it right now, because I really want my text to be white and not yellow/URL.
post #26886 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Add me to those who could not update the new firmware on the web. I followed the instructions on the support page, but the 93 said I was up to date, when I have not updated for many months. The USB method worked, immediately was flagged as new firmware and updated.
Yes, my web connection works, watched a couple short YouTube clips after updating. Interface is painful.
post #26887 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also, remember that some of us show most recent first. Putting a "^" in your post just means you can predict what the next post is going to say
post #26888 of 26905 Old 06-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Fortunately, you folks are intelligent enough to interpret that correctly.
--Bob
post #26889 of 26905 Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quick question for you guys here that use MKV's and DLNA. Does the oppo 93 support MKV files with LPCM 5.1? I am getting an error when I play a file with it.

Chip

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #26890 of 26905 Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Subtitle question

Hi all,

I did just spend some time searching this thread, albeit without great luck. I seem to always have poor subtitling when playing Blu-ray disks. Doesn't matter whether selected via disk menu or from remote controller "on-the-fly". Basic store bought production disks provide me with only about 1/3 of conversations to text. Frustrating. Watching Cloud Atlas was beyond UN-intelligible ! Seems to be consistent problem regardless of disk played.

Thanks Bob P. for the reminder to adjust subtitle height to zero after recent firmware change. But I still seem to have way too little conversation on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Mkard

post #26891 of 26905 Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
Hi all,

I did just spend some time searching this thread, albeit without great luck. I seem to always have poor subtitling when playing Blu-ray disks. Doesn't matter whether selected via disk menu or from remote controller "on-the-fly". Basic store bought production disks provide me with only about 1/3 of conversations to text. Frustrating. Watching Cloud Atlas was beyond UN-intelligible ! Seems to be consistent problem regardless of disk played.

Thanks Bob P. for the reminder to adjust subtitle height to zero after recent firmware change. But I still seem to have way too little conversation on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Mkard
Are you sure the subtitles you are missing are actually on the disc? Have you checked this on another player?

You're not zoomed in? And you have verified that the subtitle shift is set to zero?

I would try a Reset Factory Default, then re-enter local settings.

If still no good: I'd reload current firmware and Reset again.

If still no good: I'd contact OPPO support.

-Bill
post #26892 of 26905 Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
^^
Bill,

Thanks. I think that I'll just do a reset all at this point. I know that Cloud Atlas and Gravity both displayed with black above and below main picture. Seemed odd. Reset, then re-enter the basics. oh well.

Mike

post #26893 of 26905 Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM

Liked: 26
I'd agree with going the factory reset route. Going up the firmware upgrade ladder without the recommended factory resets, I ended up watching a movie in which only two subtitles showed for the whole movie. It turned out the subtitle shift was wrong to exactly the right degree to completely hide all single-line subtitles and only show the top line for two-line subtitles. You really should be able to fix it with a simple setting change, but factory resets after firmware upgrades are a good idea in general.

Also, seems like Netflix finally fixed their months-long "no network" issue, slightly before the latest firmware was released. Either that or the incidence has gone way down--I used to see it almost every time.
post #26894 of 26905 Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question

[QUOTE=CatBus;25424322]I'd agree with going the factory reset route. Going up the firmware upgrade ladder without the recommended factory resets, I ended up watching a movie in which only two subtitles showed for the whole movie. It turned out the subtitle shift was wrong to exactly the right degree to completely hide all single-line subtitles and only show the top line for two-line subtitles. You really should be able to fix it with a simple setting change, but factory resets after firmware upgrades are a good idea in general.

Also, seems like Netflix finally fixed their months-long "no network" issue, slightly before the latest firmware was released. Either that or the incidence has gone way down--I used to see it almost every time.[/QUOTE

Why is it important to do a factory reset after a firmware upgrade?
post #26895 of 26905 Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[quote=labman1;25451249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
I'd agree with going the factory reset route. Going up the firmware upgrade ladder without the recommended factory resets, I ended up watching a movie in which only two subtitles showed for the whole movie. It turned out the subtitle shift was wrong to exactly the right degree to completely hide all single-line subtitles and only show the top line for two-line subtitles. You really should be able to fix it with a simple setting change, but factory resets after firmware upgrades are a good idea in general.

Also, seems like Netflix finally fixed their months-long "no network" issue, slightly before the latest firmware was released. Either that or the incidence has gone way down--I used to see it almost every time.[/QUOTE

Why is it important to do a factory reset after a firmware upgrade?
The reset ensures that the memory is cleared so anything left over from before the update is not used. That is not normally a problem but this is part of a "belt-AND-suspenders" approach.
post #26896 of 26905 Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
I had some Blu-Ray discs that wouldn't play anymore post-update. The players was "playing" the movie, but no picture and no sound. The factory reset solved the problem.
post #26897 of 26905 Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I had some Blu-Ray discs that wouldn't play anymore post-update. The players was "playing" the movie, but no picture and no sound. The factory reset solved the problem.
What titles did you have issues with?

Jacob
post #26898 of 26905 Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post
What titles did you have issues with?

Jacob
Enchanted and Toy Story 2
post #26899 of 26905 Old 07-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
Hello

Since the last firmware update my Oppo 93EU player sometimes freezes in the Blu-ray disc movie menu.
My only possibility to restart the player is by pressing the on/off button on the front of the player.

Has someone the same problem?
post #26900 of 26905 Old 07-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiXS View Post
Hello

Since the last firmware update my Oppo 93EU player sometimes freezes in the Blu-ray disc movie menu.
My only possibility to restart the player is by pressing the on/off button on the front of the player.

Has someone the same problem?
Try a Reset of the player:

1) Remove any disc, and jot down your Setup settings.

2) In Setup > Device Setup, Erase Persistent Storage

3) In Setup > Device Setup, Reset Factory Defaults. When the Easy Setup Wizard finishes, power down the player.

4) Pull the wall power plug for about 10 seconds.

5) Power up and re-enter your personal settings.

6) Power down one more time. Settings are saved during the power-down cycle.

Try the disc again and see if it still has a problem.

Note that dirt or scratches on the disc can affect disc menu functions just as much as playback of the movie. Check the disc, and clean it if needed.

If still no luck, report the problem to OPPO Tech Support and they can check it out. Include the bar code number from the disc packaging so they can be sure they are looking at the same version of the disc as you are using.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #26901 of 26905 Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM

I was thinking about upgrading my 93 to a 105d (just thinking about it...), and was curious what my 93 is reselling for. I just checked ebay and amazon, it's reselling on average from 600-1200 consistently from every seller. Am I missing something here? Is there special 'magic' in the 93 that the latter models don't have??
post #26902 of 26905 Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamonster View Post
I was thinking about upgrading my 93 to a 105d (just thinking about it...), and was curious what my 93 is reselling for. I just checked ebay and amazon, it's reselling on average from 600-1200 consistently from every seller. Am I missing something here? Is there special 'magic' in the 93 that the latter models don't have??
For a standard used model in like new condition, 350-400.
The ones selling for more than that could have a few other incentives that raise the amount buyers are willing to pay.
If the player has older firmware that allows for ISO playback, and/or region free capabilities are the most common
features that will fetch a higher price.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #26903 of 26905 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
For a standard used model in like new condition, 350-400.
The ones selling for more than that could have a few other incentives that raise the amount buyers are willing to pay.
If the player has older firmware that allows for ISO playback, and/or region free capabilities are the most common
features that will fetch a higher price.
Also the 93 is Cinavia free, which is a very big plus,
post #26904 of 26905 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

Ahh, makes sense. Thx guys.
post #26905 of 26905 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I paid $600 for each of my two ISO-capable BDP-93s. Got them through ebay, but it's a reseller who specializes in ISO-capable and region-free units. They are the cornerstone of my setup, since I do everything with ripped BD ISOs. You'll have to pry my BDP-93s from my cold, dead fingers.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page