Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 898 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26911 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
For those of you who might have a Sony 4K display like the XBR65-X900a, the recent FW update addressed an incompatibility issue between this display and the BDP-93. However, I continue to have an issue which causes continuous HDMI handshakes, with white-snow screens. The only way to stop the handshakes is by powering off the display, or the AVR, or sometimes both. A short video (1MB) demonstrates what I am experiencing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...po%20Video.MOV.

Full disclosure: I also have a Darbee Vision Darblet in the signal path between the AVR and the display. The signal path from the Oppo is 1080P all the way to the Sony display, with the Oppo set to RGB Video, and deep color off.

Anyone else seeing this? I have reported to Oppo as well.
The white snow is usually a resolution handshake failure. You might want to try setting the player to 720 or even 480 just to see if that prevents the problem, If it does, then a HDMI cable might be the cause. Even if it doesn't, I'd still swap out cables (all of them) to see what happens.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26912 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
So you guys say there's no point in upgrading the BDP-93 to the BDP-103?
exm is offline  
post #26913 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
So you guys say there's no point in upgrading the BDP-93 to the BDP-103?
Did we say that? It would depend on your needs, and if the other player has something you want that the original does not, right?

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #26914 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
So you guys say there's no point in upgrading the BDP-93 to the BDP-103?
I wouldn't say that, but then I have both. The 103 has networking features that the 93 does not, which for some folks is a big deal.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #26915 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Did we say that? It would depend on your needs, and if the other player has something you want that the original does not, right?

-Bill
I read a few reviews and comparisons and I can't really see a reason to upgrade. Normally I *LOVE* to upgrade but there's nothing I can see. Am I missing something?
exm is offline  
post #26916 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
mhobart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The white snow is usually a resolution handshake failure. You might want to try setting the player to 720 or even 480 just to see if that prevents the problem, If it does, then a HDMI cable might be the cause. Even if it doesn't, I'd still swap out cables (all of them) to see what happens.
You might also want to try removing the intermediate devices one at a time if re-doing the HDMI cables does not isolate the problem. I know that I am simply re-stating the obvious, but interconnections are so often the culprit in electronics equipment.
mhobart is online now  
post #26917 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I read a few reviews and comparisons and I can't really see a reason to upgrade. Normally I *LOVE* to upgrade but there's nothing I can see. Am I missing something?
It depends on what interests you. The FAQ has a summary: How is the BDP-103 different from the BDP-93?

-Bill
exm likes this.
wmcclain is online now  
post #26918 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It depends on what interests you. The FAQ has a summary: How is the BDP-103 different from the BDP-93?

-Bill
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'll stick with my BDP-93 until the next gen comes out. It seems the biggest improvement is 4k support, but these two items are deal breakers for me:
- BDMV folders are no longer supported on DVD media. (This was a directive from the Blu-Ray Disc Association; I don't know why they care).
- Cinavia (mandatory starting in 2012)
exm is offline  
post #26919 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I read a few reviews and comparisons and I can't really see a reason to upgrade. Normally I *LOVE* to upgrade but there's nothing I can see. Am I missing something?
Can't understand why (for me) THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE of the 103 continues to go unmentioned, until I mention it...

Two external HDMI inputs, for feeding your cable/satellite HDTV service through the 103. This provides all of the Oppo's video cleaning and processing and upconverting capabilities, applied to the "native" (i.e. untouched by the DVR/STB, but delivered exactly as-is in original 720p/1080i format) 720p/1080i output of your DVR/STB, and then upconverted to gorgeous clean beautiful 1080p for delivery to your HDTV.

Cable and satellite never looked so good, as when routed from DVR/STB through the 103 and then on to the AVR (or direct to the HDTV from HDMI-1 output, with audio to the AVR from HDMI-2 output).

This also allows for decoding the digital audio from HDTV to LPCM for feeding out via HDMI to an external sound system (e.g. headphone processor, like Smyth Realiser) that accepts discrete multi-channel digital audio via LPCM/HDMI input. There's no other way to get decoded discrete multi-channel digital audio via LPCM/HDMI (if you should need it) than this, as DVR/STB only deliver still-encoded digital audio via HDMI, requiring audio decoding ability in the receiving device (which the Smyth Realiser does not have). This allows all digital audio decoding (for all lossy and lossless formats, from HDTV as well as BluRay discs as well as streaming sources like Netflix) to take place in the Oppo, feeding the decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM output over HDMI to a target audio device that does not support its own decoding for these audio formats but does accept decoded LPCM over HDMI input.

The Oppo 103/105 players are the only ones that have external HDMI inputs.

Reason enough (for me) to upgrade my 93 for my primary viewing/listening location (where I have a Smyth Realiser and Panny 65VT50), which I did last year. HDTV picture never looked so good nor sounded so good through my headphones.

My 93 is re-purposed to secondary location in the house.
Smarty-pants likes this.

Last edited by DSperber; 07-15-2014 at 03:08 PM.
DSperber is online now  
post #26920 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Can't understand why (for me) THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE of the 103 continues to go unmentioned, until I mention it...

Two external HDMI inputs, for feeding your cable/satellite HDTV service through the 103. This provides all of the Oppo's video cleaning and processing and upconverting capabilities, applied to the "native" (i.e. untouched by the DVR/STB, but delivered exactly as-is in original 720p/1080i format) 720p/1080i output of your DVR/STB, and then upconverted to gorgeous clean beautiful 1080p for delivery to your HDTV.

Cable and satellite never looked so good, as when routed from DVR/STB through the 103 and then on to the AVR (or direct to the HDTV from HDMI-1 output, with audio to the AVR from HDMI-2 output).

This also allows for decoding the digital audio from HDTV to LPCM for feeding out via HDMI to an external sound system (e.g. headphone processor, like Smyth Realiser) that accepts discrete multi-channel digital audio via LPCM/HDMI input. There's no other way to get decoded discrete multi-channel digital audio via LPCM/HDMI (if you should need it) than this, as DVR/STB only deliver still-encoded digital audio via HDMI, requiring audio decoding ability in the receiving device (which the Smyth Realiser does not have). This allows all digital audio decoding (for all lossy and lossless formats, from HDTV as well as BluRay discs as well as streaming sources like Netflix) to take place in the Oppo, feeding the decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM output over HDMI to a target audio device that does not support its own decoding for these audio formats but does accept decoded LPCM over HDMI input.

The Oppo 103/105 players are the only ones that have external HDMI inputs.

Reason enough (for me) to upgrade my 93 for my primary viewing/listening location (where I have a Smyth Realiser and Panny 65VT50), which I did last year. HDTV picture never looked so good nor sounded so good through my headphones.

My 93 is re-purposed to secondary location in the house.

I just got a new receiver. the 626. it has the same chip as 103. it also can do the imputs as well. I just have a roku 3 and the oppo 93. still works fine for me.

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #26921 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
For those of you who might have a Sony 4K display like the XBR65-X900a, the recent FW update addressed an incompatibility issue between this display and the BDP-93. However, I continue to have an issue which causes continuous HDMI handshakes, with white-snow screens. The only way to stop the handshakes is by powering off the display, or the AVR, or sometimes both. A short video (1MB) demonstrates what I am experiencing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...po%20Video.MOV.

Full disclosure: I also have a Darbee Vision Darblet in the signal path between the AVR and the display. The signal path from the Oppo is 1080P all the way to the Sony display, with the Oppo set to RGB Video, and deep color off.

Anyone else seeing this? I have reported to Oppo as well.
I will bet you a beer the flashing will go away if you take the Darblet out of the circuit..

I had the same problem with my Darblet upstream of my Sony VPL-VW600ES projector (but only when playing 3D). I exchanged emails with Tom at DarbeeVision. His reply was that they had seen this issue most often with HDMI cables which were too short. Ensure all your HDMI cables are between 6 and 20 feet long. Failing that, re-seat, reverse, replace HDMI cables. It worked for me.
bweissman is offline  
post #26922 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post
I just got a new receiver. the 626. it has the same chip as 103. it also can do the imputs as well. I just have a roku 3 and the oppo 93. still works fine for me.
Onkyo TX-626? You're right, looks like the QDEO chip is there, and video upconversion is also there. And of course there are external HDMI inputs into any AVR.

But the one thing more that the 103/105 does that I couldn't find in the 626 user manual is the ability to decode all digital audio formats to LPCM for sending out HDMI. Again, my Smyth Realiser requires upstream-decoding of multi-channel audio, as it has no decoding capability built into it. The expectation is that decoded-to-LPCM discrete multi-channel audio will be delivered to the Realiser via HDMI, bypassing all D-to-A and A-to-D requirements, and allowing the Realiser to simply accept already-decoded LPCM multi-channel digital audio via HDMI directly .

This ability to deliver digital audio decoded-to-LPCM discrete multi-channel out over HDMI is something I think is unique to the Oppo units.

Am I wrong? Can this Onkyo AVR do it as well?
DSperber is online now  
post #26923 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Onkyo TX-626? You're right, looks like the QDEO chip is there, and video upconversion is also there. And of course there are external HDMI inputs into any AVR.

But the one thing more that the 103/105 does that I couldn't find in the 626 user manual is the ability to decode all digital audio formats to LPCM for sending out HDMI. Again, my Smyth Realiser requires upstream-decoding of multi-channel audio, as it has no decoding capability built into it. The expectation is that decoded-to-LPCM discrete multi-channel audio will be delivered to the Realiser via HDMI, bypassing all D-to-A and A-to-D requirements, and allowing the Realiser to simply accept already-decoded LPCM multi-channel digital audio via HDMI directly .

This ability to deliver digital audio decoded-to-LPCM discrete multi-channel out over HDMI is something I think is unique to the Oppo units.

Am I wrong? Can this Onkyo AVR do it as well?
I have no idea. I use HDMI cables for everything. I bitstream from my receiver.

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #26924 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^ Most AVRs produce LPCM intended to go to the built in speakers of a TV. I.e, the HDMI LPCM *OUTPUT* of AVRs is typically a stereo down-mix.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #26925 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
For those of you who might have a Sony 4K display like the XBR65-X900a, the recent FW update addressed an incompatibility issue between this display and the BDP-93.
Thanks to all who have provided suggestions. I have applied my best trouble-shooting process of elimination, and here is what I have found.

I have two HDMI connections between my AVR and display. One signal path has a Darblet, and the other one doesn't. I specifically set it up this way in order to test out 4K up-conversion in the AVR, since the Darble doesn't pass 4K. I also replaced the HDMI cable between the Oppo and the AVR. Several months ago, I did a complete upgrade on all HDMI cables in my rack, installing new Redmere cables from Monoprice (because they are so slim). The cable from the Oppo to the AVR is 3ft, in case someone believes cable length is an issue.

Routing the signal bypassing the Darblet results in a stable image. Routing the signal through the Darblet produces the image breakup and HDMI handshakes. I am getting no signal breakup issues using the Darblet with other signal sources (DirecTV DVR's, AppleTV).

So, clearly the Darblet is playing a role. However, this issue has only recently started happening. I have been using the Darblet with the Oppo successfully for several years with no signal issues. Something has changed recently that is causing the problem, and I have run out of trouble-shooting ideas. Suggestions?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #26926 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^ There are lots of things that combine to establish the format passed on the HDMI cable. When comparing to prior experience you need to be sure they all match. That includes resolution (1080p), frame rate (/60 or /24), video format (YCbCr 4:4:4), audio format (LPCM vs. Bitstream), and HDMI CEC.

In terms of the devices that work compared to the OPPO not working, one common factor is that those devices are not likely to be sending /24 video. In addition, it is *MUCH* more likely that those devices are not sending "copy protected" content over HDMI. The HDCP protocol (copy protection) is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail.

Diagnosing HDMI issues is always an exercise in frustration. You just need to set your mind to the idea that there IS a logical explanation, and start working through the possibilities. Sometimes new cables can even be the cause of problems if the mechanical fit is not right or there are bent pins.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #26927 of 26927 Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Something has changed recently that is causing the problem, and I have run out of trouble-shooting ideas. Suggestions?
HDMI cables do go bad after a long dependable period of service. They really do. Its always the first thing to rule out - by replacing them one at a time.
rdgrimes is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off