Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #26941 of 26964 Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
A 2TB partition (using MBR) will work if the partition is formatted in a supported file system. See the FAQ -- link at the top of the first post of this thread.

The 10x players also support GPT partitioning (called GUID in the Mac world), and thus can handle larger partitions. The partitions still have to be formatted in a supported file system
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26942 of 26964 Old 07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post
If u were only asking about that particular method, it has already been answered, but you can also order a mod chip and install it externally to get RF functionality for DVDs as well as Blu-Rays.

Here is the link for the item itself and the manual is also linked further down on the same page.

No vested interest on my part, just a satisfied customer.
Yep, I know about all that. Was just inquiring about the free Superdisc method. Thanks though.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #26943 of 26964 Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubai8228 View Post
Hi,Im hunting for a used Oppo 93 with ISO playback & Cionavia free ,can someone tell me the last Firmware version that has those i just mentioned? thanks.
The last valid ISO firmware was December, 2011. I'm currently running the one before that which was September, 2011.
post #26944 of 26964 Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Posting this in this forum, since the Dune HD Base 3.0 forum hasn't had activity in a loooong time.

I have both BDP-93s and a Dune HD Base 3.0. For standard Blu-ray ISO playback, is there any reason to think that the Dune's picture quality is less than that of the BDP-93? The reason I ask is because I'm moving all my BD ISOs to a NAS, and only the Dune can play them off the network.

I love my BDP-93, don't get me wrong, and I use it often...it's just the convenience of the network playback of the Dune is hard to ignore.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #26945 of 26964 Old 08-02-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I have both BDP-93s and a Dune HD Base 3.0. For standard Blu-ray ISO playback, is there any reason to think that the Dune's picture quality is less than that of the BDP-93?
When you are talking about simply decoding digital data and outputting it, I doubt there will be a lot of difference on the size TVs most people use. Where the difference comes in is probably in upscaling, since the Oppo employs a special chip for that purpose and is where I believe most media players get let down.

Does the Dune handle 3D or proper Bluray menus? That might be the main area of contention, plus any concerns related to Cinavia.
post #26946 of 26964 Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 AM

Liked: 10
Netflix app/poor streaming quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Unfortunately the Netflix app won't be updated for the 93/95. The Oppo circuitry is missing some security feature(s) that Netflix insists on for the newer, better apps. Netflix will not provide a better app for the 93/95 models and Netflix determines what products get what apps. Oppo has said there is nothing than can do about this because it would involve hardware changes. The 103/105 have the features and thus support the better Netflix app.
Really late to the game on this topic but I've been meaning to ask about this. Streaming Netflix through our BDP-93 is so bad (choppy video with lots of pixelation, extremely slow loading and menu navigation, etc.) that I canceled our service and have just gone back to renting DVDs instead. I've never understood why so many people rave about streaming when the only experience we've had is that it's super slow and the picture quality is 10 times worse than DVD. The caveat to all this is that our Internet connection is relatively slow (averages 2.7 Mbps) so could that be a factor? It definitely isn't due to using the wireless receiver as I tried connecting the LAN output to our router via Ethernet and still experienced the same issues (slow loading and menu navigation, poor video quality). Is the BDP-93 Netflix app universally acknowledged as out-of-date and incapable of delivering decent-quality streams? It just seems ridiculous that we'd have to buy a Roku or other device to stream Netflix because they won't provide an updated app to Oppo.
post #26947 of 26964 Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamMan View Post
Really late to the game on this topic but I've been meaning to ask about this. Streaming Netflix through our BDP-93 is so bad (choppy video with lots of pixelation, extremely slow loading and menu navigation, etc.) that I canceled our service and have just gone back to renting DVDs instead. I've never understood why so many people rave about streaming when the only experience we've had is that it's super slow and the picture quality is 10 times worse than DVD. The caveat to all this is that our Internet connection is relatively slow (averages 2.7 Mbps) so could that be a factor? It definitely isn't due to using the wireless receiver as I tried connecting the LAN output to our router via Ethernet and still experienced the same issues (slow loading and menu navigation, poor video quality). Is the BDP-93 Netflix app universally acknowledged as out-of-date and incapable of delivering decent-quality streams? It just seems ridiculous that we'd have to buy a Roku or other device to stream Netflix because they won't provide an updated app to Oppo.
There won't be an update to the Netflix app in the -93. It is long past the privilege of Oppo investing any more time and money in a product
that does not bring them profits. You can't expect a product to get lifetime updates. That is not realistic.

As for what is the current Netflix app in the player, the -93 has always only given a maximum resolution of 720p for Netflix.
Using a more modern streaming device like the Roku, which would give you a better 1080p native picture, would be better.
For the best streams though, even at 720p, it should still look pretty good and not as bad as you describe.
I'm pretty sure your problems are A) your low network speed, and B) your ISP throttling the Netflix stream during peak hours.
With the latter most likely being the worse of the two.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #26948 of 26964 Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree with Smarty-pants. While Netflix streaming isn't blu-ray quality, it shouldn't be nearly as bad as you describe. Your slow internet speed and/or ISP throttling is likely to blame. I had dropped Netflix streaming for a time, but I started my subscription again recently to catch up on some TV series and House of Cards. I have a Roku, PS3, and the 93 that I can use to stream to my biggest screen in the theater room, and I prefer the Roku, but the PQ of the 93 is not that far off. Granted, the Netflix app in the 93 is a little slower than the Roku and PS3, but not by a large margin. House of Cards, for example, was very acceptable streaming with the 93 and as good or better than much of the HDTV that I get from Comcast. Then again, I have 100 Mbps internet service with regular speeds that top 75 Mbps even during peak times.

Until you get higher internet speeds you probably won't be able to have decent streaming without a ton of compression artifacts even with a Roku or some other streaming device with the latest Netflix app. When I try to stream to my pad in a distant room from the router where the internet speed is slow, the PQ drops considerably, and I would cancel the subscription if that is all I could get.

Last edited by scolumbo; 08-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.
post #26949 of 26964 Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Posting this in this forum, since the Dune HD Base 3.0 forum hasn't had activity in a loooong time.

I have both BDP-93s and a Dune HD Base 3.0. For standard Blu-ray ISO playback, is there any reason to think that the Dune's picture quality is less than that of the BDP-93? The reason I ask is because I'm moving all my BD ISOs to a NAS, and only the Dune can play them off the network.

I love my BDP-93, don't get me wrong, and I use it often...it's just the convenience of the network playback of the Dune is hard to ignore.
I have both the Dune Base HD 3.0 & Oppo 93 and I use the Dune most of the time for the convenience but the times I have played the same ISO through the Oppo the Picture on my Calibrated Samsung TV seems a tad cleaner and sharper than the Dune. No effect on audio as I have set both of them bitstream to the Integra. Please note this is purely subjective.
fatherom likes this.
post #26950 of 26964 Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It's such a shame that streaming only permits real-time streaming and doesn't permit buffering a complete movie at a lower streaming rate (but still high resolution). As long as the buffer was only large enough for a single movie and you could not stream another until you erased the buffer, it would also enable repeat viewings or separate viewings but would not require DRM to limit use as it would be self-limiting by virtue of the customer wanting to watch something else in due course.

The above approach is more consistent with the disc rental model where you can have a title for as long as you like, but you can't rent another title until it's returned. It is more consumer friendly than the current streaming approach that basically requires you watch a program effectively in one go or have to pay again.

I think if the industry wants 4k streaming, they need an approach such as this to counter low speed connections.

Of course none of this will ever be applicable to the Oppo 93 due to the closed nature of the Netflix application.
post #26951 of 26964 Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Question NEED HELP OPPO 93 and Onkyo TX 818

I was hoping some of you more experienced members could help me with some problems that I caused myself. The first one happened when I was trying anything to see if I could get 3d to work properly on my Sharp LC-80LE844U it is a long story but the help I need most, firstly, is I must of changed the settings on my oppo 93 as it will not output sound to my Onkyo TX 818 it keeps flashing PCM instead of decoding Dolby True high def DTS etc. I only get any sound when the oppo is set to LCPM but as soon as the feature starts I get nothing no sound,I always had it set to bitstream or auto but that does not work anymore I have read the manual and have it set the way it sais to but nothing works.Your help would be extremely appreciated,I am in a mess .

Last edited by teachsac; 08-08-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Remove space
post #26952 of 26964 Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbopposite View Post
I was hoping some of you more experienced members could help me with some problems that I caused myself. The first one happened when I was trying anything to see if I could get 3d to work properly on my Sharp LC-80LE844U it is a long story but the help I need most, firstly, is I must of changed the settings on my oppo 93 as it will not output sound to my Onkyo TX 818 it keeps flashing PCM instead of decoding Dolby True high def DTS etc. I only get any sound when the oppo is set to LCPM but as soon as the feature starts I get nothing no sound,I always had it set to bitstream or auto but that does not work anymore I have read the manual and have it set the way it sais to but nothing works.Your help would be extremely appreciated,I am in a mess .
Post this in the Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread and more folks will see it who can help:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread

Start by going into Setup > Device Setup and do a Reset Factory Defaults. When that finishes, power the player off and re-cable it so that the ONLY cable you have is an HDMI cable from the HDMI 1 output of the OPPO to your Onkyo. Run HDMI from your Onkyo to your TV for video.

On the OPPO, it is easy to confuse the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs, so double check that you are using the HDMI 1 output.

Now try again and see if you have proper audio when playing NON-3D content. If not, then check what input you have selected in the Onkyo for audio. Make sure it is the HDMI input you have cabled from the OPPO and not, for example, an Optical or COAX input.

Once you've demonstrated that simple things are working again, you can retry to set things up for 3D.

The most likely reasons for your audio problem are:

1) You've confused the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs of the OPPO, or

2) You've got the Onkyo set to look for audio on some input other than the one you intended it to use.

With simple things working again, post for more help in the 93 thread on getting your 3D connections set up properly.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #26953 of 26964 Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM

Red face Thank you

I would like to thank you for your advice I now have my sound back,as to the 3d if it is okay I will PM you,but thanks again it is great to be able to enjoy my blu rays again
post #26954 of 26964 Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Let's try to do the 3D stuff in this thread, instead of by PM, because there are plenty of folks here who can help with that. I.e., you won't have to wait for me to get to my PMs.

I take it your AVR can not pass 3D video through to your display, right? And that's what's keeping you from using this current wiring -- i.e, a single HDMI cable from HDMI 1 output of the OPPO to your AVR for audio and video and another single HDMI cable from the AVR to your display -- for 3D video?

OK, in THAT case the next step is to wire TWO HDMI cables from the OPPO. Be sure you don't confuse the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs. Cable from HDMI 1 directly to your 3D Display. Cable from HDMI 2 directly to your AVR. Make sure your Display is set to watch video coming in on that first HDMI cable from the OPPO and your AVR is set to play audio coming in on that 2nd HDMI cable from the OPPO

For the moment, DISCONNECT the HDMI cable running from the AVR to your Display.

The factory default settings you used in the OPPO to fix things above should not need any changes for this new cabling to work.

First check a NON-3D disc and make sure you are still getting good audio and video.

Then check a 3D disc. Are you getting good 3D video as well as good audio to your AVR?

Once BOTH of those are working, we'll reattach the HDMI from the AVR to a different input on your Display in case you want to play some other video sources through the AVR to the Display. Re-attaching that cable, even though it is not actually being used for OPPO playback, may break your 3D setup, and if so we'll need to do more work.
--Bob

post #26955 of 26964 Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The dual output of the 93 always gave me headaches.

Doing sound via hdmi ouput 2 and video to hdmi 1 gives me blank(black) screens for a matter of second every 10-15 minutes or so. The connection isn't lost, and the audio keeps on playing smoothly.

If I use hmdi 1 out only and feed it to a splitter (to my projector and my AVR) I have no drop-outs whatsoever.
post #26956 of 26964 Old 08-18-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Are you changing the dual output to "split a/v", and turning off the video output of your avr?
The avr could also be sending a signal to the player asking for video causing the player to initialize a handshake.
Of course the big question too is, why not just run the signal from the player to the avr, then from the avr to the display without using the split method?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #26957 of 26964 Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM

^ Good question! I wouldn't go down this setup if it wasn't because of hairpulling frustration.

Somehow my Yamaha 771 AVR seems to have a negative effect on passing on 3D. I turned all videoprocessing off but still it isn't as good as my Oppo direct to my projector (concerning fast movements). So I use my AVR (only in case of using the Oppo) pure as audiodecoder.

It's an odd problem, I am not sure it are handshake problems because sounds keeps on playing smooth and the 3D glasses stay in sync with the projector (Epson TW9100). Also the projector gives no sign whatsoever it is loosing it's signal.

Edit: It makes no difference I enable or disable videooutput on the AVR. The AVR receives from hdmi 2 white video with audio as expected.

Last edited by TheUglyBad; 08-18-2014 at 01:19 PM.
post #26958 of 26964 Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Liked: 13
Hello,

I am encountering a problem with my oppo in which movies will start to skip and freeze at random for a second or two. I have reset the player as per the instruction manual but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else encountered this issue and is there a fix.
Thanks,
Tom
post #26959 of 26964 Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
Hello,

I am encountering a problem with my oppo in which movies will start to skip and freeze at random for a second or two. I have reset the player as per the instruction manual but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else encountered this issue and is there a fix.
Thanks,
Tom
Cleaning the laser would be the only fix, and that does not mean using a "cleaning disc". It means opening the player. What you're describing is caused either by a dirty disc or a dirty laser.
post #26960 of 26964 Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This may not be an entirely accurate question, but simply speaking, I have a encoded a couple of test files with x265 (HEVC), which do not play on the oppo. Will there be a f/w update to cater to the new codec or is this beyond the scope of f/w updates?
post #26961 of 26964 Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Let me check my sources:

* Shake Shake Shake *

ASK . AGAIN . LATER . THE . FUTURE . IS . HAZY

All seriousness aside, it is highly unlikely that new codecs will be added to the 9x family players. Codecs are built into the MediaTek "System on Chip" used in the player, and MediaTek is almost certainly going to limit new feature development such as that to their latest version chip -- which means something newer than the chip in the 9x family players.

Or to put it another way, if it happens it is a bluebird of the most excellent plumage.
--Bob
Jacob305 and michaelp2005 like this.

post #26962 of 26964 Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #26963 of 26964 Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Let me check my sources:

* Shake Shake Shake *

ASK . AGAIN . LATER . THE . FUTURE . IS . HAZY

All seriousness aside, it is highly unlikely that new codecs will be added to the 9x family players. Codecs are built into the MediaTek "System on Chip" used in the player, and MediaTek is almost certainly going to limit new feature development such as that to their latest version chip -- which means something newer than the chip in the 9x family players.

Or to put it another way, if it happens it is a bluebird of the most excellent plumage.
--Bob
like how we got the 24P for dvds on the oppo 93?

Jacob
post #26964 of 26964 Old Today, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently purchased a spare Oppo 93 but with the latest firmware to give me access to the improved features.

On playing a 960x720p24 mkv, I noticed that it was a little jerky and discovered it was being sent to the TV as 1080p60. I tried a few more 720p mkv encoded at 23.976fps and only one of them was being sent to the TV at 1080p24. It was my understanding that the Oppo preserves frame rate if explicitly scaled to 1080p.

Of the 3 files I tried, one was 1280x544, another 720x404 and the third 960x720. Only the 1280x544 played back at 1080p24, the other two played back at 1080p60.

I have the Oppo set to 1080p, 1080p24 and 24p DVD.

I have another Oppo 93 with ISO firmware and here is where it gets quite bizarre: it plays the 1280x544 and 960x720 mkv at 1080p24, but the 720x404 at 1080p60.

All files show as 23.976fps using the Info button on the Oppo remote.

Is there a known bug in the latest firmware related to 720p24 upscaling, as it seems to see 960x720p24 material as not 720p? I could understand that maybe 480p24 frame rate retention on upscaling may not have been supported initially on the Oppo 93, but I would have expected it to be added in the latest firmware.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page