Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 902 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #27031 of 27058 Old 09-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why do my subscription notifications from this thread "Only" come in as plain text. The links are text only, not click able?

Thanks, 2therock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27032 of 27058 Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostaszag View Post
I have been having an issue with subtitles via DLNA. I am using the OPPO more as a Media Player than anything else, but It cannot load external subtitles with jpeg and mp4 files. I have to convert them to mkv, which is time consuming and results to mkv which cannot be fast forwarded with speed greater than 2x.

My question is: I am running currently an old ISO-capable firmware. Has there been any improvement on this subject in later firmware editions? Would a firmware update bring the possibility of loading subs on jpeg and mp4 files?
I have the latest f/w and have played mp4 files with external subtitles via dlna.

I have also been able to FF mkv files faster than 2x.
post #27033 of 27058 Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post
Why do my subscription notifications from this thread "Only" come in as plain text. The links are text only, not click able?
Try the Operations Center for forum issues: http://www.avsforum.com/f/43/forum-operations-center

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #27034 of 27058 Old 09-22-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp2005 View Post
I have the latest f/w and have played mp4 files with external subtitles via dlna.

Many thanks
post #27035 of 27058 Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I suggest you email OPPO Tech Support (for your EU player, that would be the folks at OPPO UK) with the details.

Another poster reported that OPPO was working on a fix for subtitles going too quickly, but I don't know anything about that, nor whether it is related to the problem that you are seeing.

The fact that you can cure it by Erasing Persistent Storage suggests an authoring error on the discs themselves -- getting confused by stuff they have written to Persistent Storage.
--Bob
Thanks for the answer/Joe
post #27036 of 27058 Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp2005 View Post

What DLNA server are you using (for external subs)? It has never worked for me using miniDLNA.

I can't FF mkv files any faster than 2x. Or jump to a chapter/time directly with the remote. If I try to do either, oppo hangs for a long time and then restarts the playback from beginning.

Can I download any of these mkv files that you can FF faster than 2x from anywhere? May be my mkv generating software (mkvtoolnix v6.2.0) is buggy. Or was this a bug in oppo and fixed in the latest firmware? I have the previous version (not sure of the exact number right now).

And this is the same on usb also, not just DLNA.
post #27037 of 27058 Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav View Post
What DLNA server are you using (for external subs)? It has never worked for me using miniDLNA.

I can't FF mkv files any faster than 2x. Or jump to a chapter/time directly with the remote. If I try to do either, oppo hangs for a long time and then restarts the playback from beginning.

Can I download any of these mkv files that you can FF faster than 2x from anywhere? May be my mkv generating software (mkvtoolnix v6.2.0) is buggy. Or was this a bug in oppo and fixed in the latest firmware? I have the previous version (not sure of the exact number right now).

And this is the same on usb also, not just DLNA.
I have a Synology NAS, and I just use the default Media Server on it.
post #27038 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Closed Captioning

I have several Masterpiece Mystery Inspector Lewis DVD's. There are no subtitles, but the disc's info claims CC (closed Captioning) is on the DVD. Sometimes, the actors UK accent makes it difficult to understand what they are saying. I can't figure how to see the CC. Is there an OPPO-93 setting that I am not aware of, or is it strictly a setting on my Samsung 60" Class 1080p 240HZ 3D Smart LED HDTV Bundle UN60H7100AFXZA?

Kind Regards and thanks for your help. Gary
post #27039 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ Closed Captioning is not supported in the HDMI spec, and the OPPO does not try to convert Closed Captions to Subtitles on the fly.

Closed Captioning should be available on the Component Video Outputs if your TV has a Closed Captioning decoder for that style of input.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #27040 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 02:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1947 View Post
I have several Masterpiece Mystery Inspector Lewis DVD's. There are no subtitles, but the disc's info claims CC (closed Captioning) is on the DVD. Sometimes, the actors UK accent makes it difficult to understand what they are saying. I can't figure how to see the CC. Is there an OPPO-93 setting that I am not aware of, or is it strictly a setting on my Samsung 60" Class 1080p 240HZ 3D Smart LED HDTV Bundle UN60H7100AFXZA?

You have encountered one of the uglier tales of home video.

Closed Captioning is an older form of subtitling embedded in the video data itself. They are viewed with a decoder in the TV.

However, HDMI cannot carry that data. When the industry switched from analog to HDMI video, all that work on Closed Captions was lost.

You have some options, none entirely satisfactory.

(1) At one time, the component output of the OPPO players at 480i carried the closed captions. If you have a display with component input, you might try it. I haven't shopped for a while but I presume component has been dropped from recent TVs. Along with CC decoding.

(2) If you do disc ripping, there is a utility that converts Closed Captions to text SRT subtitles which can be embedded in an MKV container. The OPPO plays those.

(3) The PAL DVD versions of Lewis imported from the UK have real subtitles. I have the complete set. With the free SuperDisc software mod the region coding is not a problem on the -93 and other OPPO players.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #27041 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Oppo BDP-93 multi-region player question...

I purchased one of these a while back from an online vendor and have been quite happy with it. The multi-region mod is hardware as opposed to software based. For some time now, the player has been alerting me to the fact that a firmware upgrade is available. I'm hesitant to make the upgrade though because first of all I am having no issues with playback that I've noticed and I'm concerned that a firmware upgrade might affect the player's multi-region capabilities even though they are chip based. Am I being overly cautious? Has anyone out there ever upgraded the firmware on their multi-region player with no adverse effects? Many thanks.
post #27042 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ There HAVE been cases where an OPPO firmware upgrade needed to be matched with a separate firmware upgrade for the region-free hardware mod itself. To be sure, you'd need to identify who made your particular mod and then check with the maker to see what, if anything, you'd need to do to adjust the hardware mod after doing the OPPO update.

There are two popular styles of mod, one of which has more flexibility and gets installed inside the chassis, and the other is simpler and plugs into a USB socket on the back panel. The only mods I know of that have ever needed firmware updates are the ones that get installed internally.

Also, it is typical that you need to set the mod to the player's "normal" Region before doing an OPPO firmware install.

By the way, you can turn off Firmware Notification in Setup if you'd rather not see those notices.
--Bob
mhobart likes this.

post #27043 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
^ There HAVE been cases where an OPPO firmware upgrade needed to be matched with a separate firmware upgrade for the region-free hardware mod itself. To be sure, you'd need to identify who made your particular mod and then check with the maker to see what, if anything, you'd need to do to adjust the hardware mod after doing the OPPO update.

There are two popular styles of mod, one of which has more flexibility and gets installed inside the chassis, and the other is simpler and plugs into a USB socket on the back panel. The only mods I know of that have ever needed firmware updates are the ones that get installed internally.

Also, it is typical that you need to set the mod to the player's "normal" Region before doing an OPPO firmware install.

By the way, you can turn off Firmware Notification in Setup if you'd rather not see those notices.
--Bob
Mine's installed inside the chassis. Perhaps I should let well enough alone. When I contacted the vendor thay said they "thought" it would be okay. Not very reassuring.
post #27044 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

--Bob
I've had one of the external region-free adapters for a long, long time, and have never had a problem with firmware updates. I do follow the suggestion mentioned (though I believe that I did forget to follow that on at least one occasion, with no ill effect - your results may differ - always check the documentation for your particular adapter for what the manufacturer recommends).

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages

Last edited by mhobart; 09-28-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added caution
post #27045 of 27058 Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantord View Post
Mine's installed inside the chassis. Perhaps I should let well enough alone. When I contacted the vendor thay said they "thought" it would be okay. Not very reassuring.
There seem to be (at least) two types of internal mods. The ones like mine don't seem to have issues when firmware is updated (and they are the cheaper ones). To get them to change regions, you do a dimmer dimmer dimmer mute button sequence. If yours is like that then it you shouldn't have any problem with it. (Mine's been set to region B for quite a while now...)

(The other ones have a simpler way to switch regions, but they always seem to be the ones that have the issues. They also cost more.)
mhobart likes this.
post #27046 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Another more fun but more expensive solution is to go spend a week in Yorkshire spending lots of time in pubs, especially the stand-up bar, After that, you will be fluent in one of the more difficult accents. For Doc Martin, go to small towns in Cornwall for a few days. I presume you can understand the toffs such as on Downton Abbey.
post #27047 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
There are now over 27,000 posts to this thread. That is why I am asking a question that I know is in here somewhere but I don't want to spend the next year looking.

I am asking you to please over look my laziness.

My question is in regarding unlocking my 93 to accept Australian DVDs which I think is region 4.

1) Does it work?

2) Can there be problems to the 93 caused by unlocking the player?

3) If it does work, what is the best way to go about it and where do I pick up the unit that makes it work?

I thank you for any help and information.

m

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #27048 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
There are now over 27,000 posts to this thread. That is why I am asking a question that I know is in here somewhere but I don't want to spend the next year looking.

I am asking you to please over look my laziness.

My question is in regarding unlocking my 93 to accept Australian DVDs which I think is region 4.

1) Does it work?

2) Can there be problems to the 93 caused by unlocking the player?

3) If it does work, what is the best way to go about it and where do I pick up the unit that makes it work?

I thank you for any help and information.

m
For DVDs (not Blu-ray), there is a free software mod: http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

It works for all the OPPO Blu-ray players and works well.

Read the instructions carefully. This is an ISO file that must be burned as a disc image, and you must use a CD-R, not a DVD.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #27049 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
For DVDs (not Blu-ray), there is a free software mod: http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

It works for all the OPPO Blu-ray players and works well.

Read the instructions carefully. This is an ISO file that must be burned as a disc image, and you must use a CD-R, not a DVD.

-Bill
Bill

That was amazingly fast.

Thanks for a quick reply.

I will give it a try

I noticed that it says "83" is it still good for the 93?

Samsung PN64F8500
post #27050 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Bill

That was amazingly fast.

Thanks for a quick reply.

I will give it a try

I noticed that it says "83" is it still good for the 93?
Read the comments in the link provided.
post #27051 of 27058 Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Read the comments in the link provided.
Found it. Excellent and thank you

m

Samsung PN64F8500
post #27052 of 27058 Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Closed Caps

Thanks for all your inputs.
I tried component - no joy. I finally called Samsung Support. They said CC is only available using composite, not component. I tried it. The picture quality isn't all that bad, but the captions are sometimes cut off mid sentence and are displayed too much into the screen.
Oh well. Gary.
post #27053 of 27058 Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Thanks for all your inputs.
I tried component - no joy. I finally called Samsung Support. They said CC is only available using composite, not component. I tried it. The picture quality isn't all that bad, but the captions are sometimes cut off mid sentence and are displayed too much into the screen.
Oh well. Gary.
Sorry about that. I see questions on CC maybe once a year here at AVSForum, but I would have expected more public comment when HDMI dropped the ball. It would require a decoder in the source device, increasing costs at least a little. Still, the Americans with Disabilities Act has a section on telecommunications which specifically covers the deaf and hard of hearing.

Extracting the CC, converting them into proper subtitles tracks for DVD is easily done, but again requires a little effort and attention from the studios. No one tells them what to do.

I use the method of converting CC to text SRT subtitles and embedding them in an MKV version. I've recovered a bunch of lost subtitle tracks that way.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #27054 of 27058 Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM

^now that I think about it, the first several seasons of the Foyle's War series also contains CC (Honeysuckle Weeks also has a heavy acccent).
I would be willing try the CC extraction and conversion to sub's method, but I would need a reasonable tutorial.
I think I would also need MakeMKV ??
Regards, Gary
post #27055 of 27058 Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM

Can Oppo BDP-93 convert 3D HSBS (Half side-by-side) to a regular 3D signal ready for projection?

My Sony HW55 can convert half side-by-side to a regular 3D image alright but its inverted so that near objects are far away etc. There seems to be no option to swap left for right eyes... I have to watch it with my glasses upside-down! I'm hoping the Oppo can do these duties instead?
post #27056 of 27058 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpurves View Post
Can Oppo BDP-93 convert 3D HSBS (Half side-by-side) to a regular 3D signal ready for projection?

My Sony HW55 can convert half side-by-side to a regular 3D image alright but its inverted so that near objects are far away etc. There seems to be no option to swap left for right eyes... I have to watch it with my glasses upside-down! I'm hoping the Oppo can do these duties instead?
I don't do 3D myself, but from what I've gleaned from posts by those who do, the answer is yes. However, you need to enable it manually. That is, while playing the side-by-side content, press the 3D button (twice, as I recall) and select that format.
--Bob

post #27057 of 27058 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I don't do 3D myself, but from what I've gleaned from posts by those who do, the answer is yes. However, you need to enable it manually. That is, while playing the side-by-side content, press the 3D button (twice, as I recall) and select that format.
--Bob
Thank you for this info Bob. I can't find the 3D button on the BDP-93 though... Is there one on this model?
post #27058 of 27058 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Hah! That's what I get for answering questions in too many threads at once. My answer was correct for the 10x players but not for the 93 or 95.

Side by Side is technically a 2D video format that gets converted to 3D using the added knowledge that it is side by side instead of "normal" 2D video. But 2D to 3D conversion is a feature that was added in the 10x players. It is not available in the 9x players, and so side by side can only be output as side by side -- i.e., the conversion of that to 3D would have to happen in your display.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page