Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #27061 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
^ The ability to push content from a DLNA server to the OPPO (perhaps controlled by your Android device browsing and commanding that DLNA server), or to use OPPO's own, Android, MediaControl app to pull content from servers is something supported in the 10x players, not the 93 or 95.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27062 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The ability to push content from a DLNA server to the OPPO (perhaps controlled by your Android device browsing and commanding that DLNA server), or to use OPPO's own, Android, MediaControl app to pull content from servers is something supported in the 10x players, not the 93 or 95.
--Bob
I not understand very well. I would use my hard disc. So there is no way at all to choose my music with an app, hard disc attached, let stand alone choose from cover? That is something I can do with my travel Dune TV 201....... I payed 100 €. In fact I can play on that many files the Oppo not feel well about. ...

I not understand why this should not get implanted with a new update of software. So much easier to choose a music file. I do this with my computer and Jriver so well. But the result in sound should be better with oppo, although I am surprised how well it plays already.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one

Last edited by indieke2; 10-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #27063 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I was just reminded that there *IS* an "experimental" version of OPPO's MediaControl app for Android that will work with the 93:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.oppo.oremote

The details on the firmware version need in the player are stated there.

You could use this app to browse and select content to play from an attached hard drive.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27064 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
^ I was just reminded that there *IS* an "experimental" version of OPPO's MediaControl app for Android that will work with the 93:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.oppo.oremote

The details on the firmware version need in the player are stated there.

You could use this app to browse and select content to play from an attached hard drive.

--Bob
Thanks bob, i have seen that. But it is not clear to me, how to select files. Is there a way to dispit, with all teh covers of music, like with J river, or are it just maps?

Are the new upgrades in firmware, worth to leave the iso capibility?

post #27065 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nothing but lists as far as I am aware (I don't use Android). The hardware in the 93 is not really designed to do the type of two-way communication MediaControl depends on. (Those changes came with the 10x players.) So frankly it's amazing to me they got even this stuff working.

If you are a heavy user of ISO files, I'd say the firmware upgrade is not worth it.

With the 10x players, J River can "push" content to the player. So you can use whatever app you like to browse and select content in J River and have it play on the 10x player. The 9x players do not support the DLNA Digital Media Renderer (DMR) protocol which enables that. And it is unlikely that will be added to them.
--Bob

post #27066 of 27090 Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
^ Nothing but lists as far as I am aware (I don't use Android). The hardware in the 93 is not really designed to do the type of two-way communication MediaControl depends on. (Those changes came with the 10x players.) So frankly it's amazing to me they got even this stuff working.

If you are a heavy user of ISO files, I'd say the firmware upgrade is not worth it.

With the 10x players, J River can "push" content to the player. So you can use whatever app you like to browse and select content in J River and have it play on the 10x player. The 9x players do not support the DLNA Digital Media Renderer (DMR) protocol which enables that. And it is unlikely that will be added to them.
--Bob
Thanks for your kind explanation. I have some BD's rips that not pay on it, maybe it would with the firmware upgrade. No I am not a heavy user of Iso's, just for 3 d content, I not watch that often.

post #27067 of 27090 Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpurves View Post
Maybe time for me to sell the 93 and grab a 10 series. I found an excuse at last!
Not to detract from your excuse, but most 3D TVs should have an option to reverse the left and right eye views, because not all sources follow the standard convention.

See if you can find that option in the Sony before selling the Oppo.
post #27068 of 27090 Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Regardless of how the 93 is set for Analog Speaker Configuration Down-mix or speaker enabling (i.e., speaker LARGE vs. OFF), the 93 *ALWAYS* sends HDMI LPCM 7.1 for these two tracks, and all the channel content is indeed received by the 105D in the proper place.
You are absolutely right.

I'm not sure how I came to the conclusion that Speaker Configuration Down-mix was modifying the number of LPCM channels sent via HDMI. A simple test with a 7.1 soundtrack has confirmed 7.1 received at the AVR regardless of down-mix being set to 7.1 or 5.1
post #27069 of 27090 Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by raavango

How would I get the benefit of watching the signal from HDMI1 and the sound from the spekers. Do I just turn the TV speaker volume down and just play the Bluray? Will the speakers give out audio from the bluray?

Regards

Raavango

Yes, although TVs usually allow their internal audio to be turned off completely.

-Bill

Hello Bill,
Since changing from Onkyo TX-NR709 to new Denon AVR-X4100W, I
cannot play Flac on Oppo 93 . Using same signal path
connections/cables as before. Oppo 93 primary connection to Denon AVR is HDMI cable
Signal path: Oppo 93 Optical Out to Teac UD-H01 DAC Optical In.
Then RCA Analog L&R out of Teac DAC to Denon AVR-X4100W CD
Analog In. Oppo is Setup with Optical Connection for Audio Out to
Teac Dac In to play Flac Music. Oppo Music play screen shows a Speaker Icon
with a red "X" through it.
Teac plays problem-free Flac via HTPC feed from USB cable. Denon plays this
route with no problems. looks like I'm missing a
playback/audio/optical setting in the Oppo settings?

Any ideas, help greatly appreciated,
sgibson

Last edited by sgibson; 10-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.
post #27070 of 27090 Old 10-10-2014, 06:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Oppo screen shows a Speaker Icon
with a red "X" through it.
That indicates "Mute". Either the Mute button has been pressed or you have volume set to zero.

-Bill

Last edited by wmcclain; 10-10-2014 at 06:32 PM.
post #27071 of 27090 Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That indicates "Mute". Either the Mute button has been pressed or you have volume set to zero.

-Bill

Bill,

duh....must have inadvertently hit the Mute, while doing Setup, swapping cables, etc.
You saved me further troubleshooting and frustration. All is well now and the flac music flows gloriously once again.
BTW, Oppo 93 does a superb job on new Dolby Atmos playback through Denon AVR-X4100W + External amp = 9.2 channels (11 speakers total)
If interested come visit Dolby Atmos forum here at avs. Ole' Oppo93 still rocks!

Thanks much,
sgibson
post #27072 of 27090 Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 AM

DVD-Audio question

I'm not sure if this is related to my receiver or the BDP-93, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I have quite a few multi-channel audio discs, and I used to be able to listen to them in either Dolby Digital (using coax from BDP-93 to receiver) or DVD-A (using analog out to the receiver) mode. After resetting my receiver and possibly fiddling with some of the settings on the BDP-93, my receiver doesn't seem to recognize Dolby Digital streams from the Oppo anymore. The BDP-93 briefly shows DVD-A on its display, but my receiver only gives me the option for Dolby Pro Logic.

Under Playback Setup, I have DVD-Audio Mode set to DVD-Audio. I tried re-setting it to DVD-Video, but I still couldn't get the receiver to recognize Dolby Digital. Any ideas why?

Apologies in advance if this question is confusing, but I'm just hoping that somebody out there might have a suggestion or two. I should add that I just updated the firmware on my receiver (H/K AVR 635) so that might well be responsible.
post #27073 of 27090 Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ There is a separate setting in the OPPO for what type of Digital audio is sent out on the Optical/Coax outputs. Check that you have Setup > Audio Format Setup > Coaxial/Optical Output set to BITSTREAM.

DVD-Audio is a licensing restricted, high bandwidth, format, so I believe you may only be able to play it over Coax by selecting the DVD-Video content and getting the lossy Bitstream alternative track.

For best quality audio when playing a DVD-Audio disc into a receiver that doesn't have HDMI Input, use multi-channel Analog output from the OPPO (and select DVD-Audio instead of DVD-Video).
--Bob

post #27074 of 27090 Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
^ There is a separate setting in the OPPO for what type of Digital audio is sent out on the Optical/Coax outputs. Check that you have Setup > Audio Format Setup > Coaxial/Optical Output set to BITSTREAM.

DVD-Audio is a licensing restricted, high bandwidth, format, so I believe you may only be able to play it over Coax by selecting the DVD-Video content and getting the lossy Bitstream alternative track.

For best quality audio when playing a DVD-Audio disc into a receiver that doesn't have HDMI Input, use multi-channel Analog output from the OPPO (and select DVD-Audio instead of DVD-Video).
--Bob
Thanks Bob. I do have Bitstream selected for Coaxial output, but for some reason when playing a music DVD that has a Dolby Digital layer, I'm still only getting the option of Pro Logic. I used to be able to literally toggle back and forth on my receiver between Dolby Digital and high-resolution DVD-A.

And, yes, I realize the DVD-A is higher quality, but I have a few multichannel discs that are solely Dolby Digital and also I think it's interesting to compare the EQ and bass management of my receiver versus the BDP-93. (With Dolby Digital, I'm getting the Harman/Kardon's EQ. With DVD-A via analog outs, I'm getting Oppo's EQ.)
post #27075 of 27090 Old 10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I suggest you give OPPO Tech Support a call. There's undoubtedly a simple settings error here, and this sort of stuff is resolved faster if you can just go over it together on the phone.

I suspect the settings error is in your Receiver -- something to do with how it is configure to apply Surround Sound processing when it sees stereo input.
--Bob

post #27076 of 27090 Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
Thanks Bob. I do have Bitstream selected for Coaxial output, but for some reason when playing a music DVD that has a Dolby Digital layer, I'm still only getting the option of Pro Logic. I used to be able to literally toggle back and forth on my receiver between Dolby Digital and high-resolution DVD-A.

And, yes, I realize the DVD-A is higher quality, but I have a few multichannel discs that are solely Dolby Digital and also I think it's interesting to compare the EQ and bass management of my receiver versus the BDP-93. (With Dolby Digital, I'm getting the Harman/Kardon's EQ. With DVD-A via analog outs, I'm getting Oppo's EQ.)
You cannot "toggle back and forth" on a DVD-A unless it has been authored to allow that, in which case it would be a function of the menu on the disc. In other words, the player can only output the DD audio or the high res audio - one at a time - and the choice between them involves interrupting playback via the disc menu. Hope that makes sense. Some DVD-A may also offer a 2-ch high resolution audio option in addition to 5.1.
Other DVD-A will force you to exit the high resolution playback and load the DVD-A content which will have only the DD audio.
post #27077 of 27090 Old 10-18-2014, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BDP-93 DLNA crashes with latest firmware

I don't know any other way to put it but since upgrading to the latest firmware, my BDP-93 has become most unreliable when it comes to DLNA.

I can no longer even just browse the directory hierarchy before the player freezes. It would appear that the Oppo unit decides to open files in DLNA all by itself! In short, the current firmware is proving to be a real B*H and is woeful in the DLNA area.

Has anyone else updated to the latest firmware and seen these or similar things with DLNA?

Did you back out the firmware upgrade? If so, how?

Well the only problem is downgrading the firmware means the iPhone remote control app will no longer work. argh! Wish Oppo hadn't of abandoned support for this model so soon.
post #27078 of 27090 Old 10-18-2014, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I don't have any issues with the latest firmware.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #27079 of 27090 Old 10-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

With DLNA problems, start by rebooting your DLNA server to make sure it hasn't cached old info about the OPPO. Also check to see whether there is an upgraded "profile" available from the server maker for this OPPO.

If no easy answer that way, then get in touch with OPPO Tech Support regarding the server you are using and the type of problems you are seeing.
--Bob

post #27080 of 27090 Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone using the avs demo discs (using Blu-ray Discs and not streaming from a server) on this player with the most current firmware? I haven't installed new firmware for some time and just want to be sure I can still use these discs.

Thanks!

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #27081 of 27090 Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 175
BDMV is still supported with the latest Official Firmware, so this disc is still compatible with the player.
post #27082 of 27090 Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the undefeatable noise reduction using HDMI 1 present on the BDP-93, as it is on the BDP-103, as an effect of the QDEO chip?

I've really tried searching for an answer but didn't find it, so please don't be mean if you think I should have found one.
post #27083 of 27090 Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Yes to both. It is part of the Marvel QDEO solution.
post #27084 of 27090 Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Get the 103D or 105D if you want to avoid this. No QDEO in those.
--Bob

post #27085 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

BDP-93 as a preamp ...

I have recently sent my prepro (Marantz AV7701) for service and decided to test my Oppo 93 as a preamp by directly connecting it to a Marantz MM8077 via the analogue outs.
As soon as I played the first SACD, I immediately noticed increased clarity and imaging compared to the setup where the Oppo fed the AV7701 via the HDMI and then to the power amp. My usual setup with the AV7701 includes having Audyssey XT on. I should say that the usual setup sounds warmer but more confused, I think.
Can anyone tell me if I am just imagining those differences or there is a justified reason why one should expect the second-line product of Oppo to perform better than the AV7701? Could it be related to the inherent downsampling of SACD audio by the Audyssey algorithms? Would it be a good idea to leave Audyssey off for SACDs? Actually, even in movies I have noticed greater clarity.

Thanks,
Aris.
post #27086 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The most likely reason (presuming the service for the prepro is not related to audio) is that your Audyssey solution is screwed up. When you get it back from repair, redo your Audyssey setup, and then compare Audyssey On/Off with HDMI from the 93 in both cases. If Audyssey OFF sounds much better, go bug the mavens in the Audyssey related threads here. There's likely something simply you can do in your setup process to get it working correctly.
--Bob

post #27087 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 149
^^ It can be tough to tell the difference between properly and non-properly EQd audio.
If your Audyssey calibration is done correctly, you are more than likely getting better overall performance from that.
When you switch from that and listen to pure unaltered sound from the player,
even just being a little louder in volume and/or a little more bass boost can give the impression of better sound.
So that can just be an instant impression and not a calculated assessment of all audio experiences.

Having said all of that, it is still certainly possible that your normal setup could be clouding your audio clarity and fidelity a bit.
I used to use an Audyssey calibrated setup too and while it sounded really good, I ended up switching to running the audio direct to amps.
(I am also using a BDP-105D that has better audio capabilities than the BDP-93 does.)
I also have a decently EQd room where I think the clarity outweighs some of the slight EQing that the Audyssey would help with.
If your room is not a dedicated room for audio and video performance, you may have many issues where Audyssey really is needed.
Some people like the "live" sound that you get without Audyssey though, even if it's not properly balanced on all frequencies.
Using the player as a preamp is very limited though, and most people need the array of other features that their full-feature preamp/avr provides.

So, there are benefits and compromises to both scenarios. Once you get your prepro back, you may want to experiment more with it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27088 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Thanks for your answers. I did think that my ear-based calibration – as it would be with the Oppo – may lead to results that would give a 'fake' wow factor. I cannot deny that what I hear sounds impressive but could also be wrong (mathematically). However, I think the difference I hear is not only related to localisation but to clarity. Now, I cannot exclude the possibility that what I hear as clearer sound could be bad balance between high and low frequencies. I definitely remember that after I had reduced the DEQ reference level from 0db to 15db on the prepro, the centre channel became easier to discern in movies. I will try to make a direct comarison as soon as I get my prepro back. Related to Dave's comment, I would definitely hate to give up the better sound I get for all my sources by using a prepro (i.e. TV, MacMini, Oppo), as opposed to just using the Oppo as preamp. There is of course the option of using the Oppo's analogue outs into the prepro in 'direct source' mode. I have not tried that yet (my Oppo is normally far from the prepro and would have to be moved out again when I get the prepro). It may be interesting to try that, too.

Aris.
post #27089 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

Liked: 13
How can improve the streaming of Netflix with this unit? The picture and sound is substandard compared to my Sony 709. (Both are setup the same wired way).
Thanx.
post #27090 of 27090 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

The Netflix app on the 93 is only capable of 720p streams (which the 93 will upscale to 1080p for output). This can not be changed except through a new app from Netflix which they have chosen not to offer for this player.

Similarly, this Netflix app can only do stereo audio.

The 93 can obviously do better as evidenced by its VUDU app.

Complaints to Netflix please.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page