Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #27121 of 27148 Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had a couple of problems downloading and installing the latest update. First time, the first d/l started and stopped at 31% as shown on the display, so I waited for about 10 minutes then tried to cancel it but nothing happened. I actually had to go as far as holding the power button until the unit shut itself off. Fortunately when I powered it up again all seemed okay, so I decided to ignore the update for the time being. On Sunday I decided to try again. This time, the first download and install worked okay, but then after the loader file installed and the countdown to reset timer went to 0, the player locked up again, so I had to perform the same procedure as the earlier attempt. I left it off for a while, powered back up, played a BD concert, checked to see if Pandora still worked and all seemed okay, but now I don't have the "Film Fresh" icon on the home screen anymore.

So, is there an issue I'm not aware of that's causing an app to not appear? Has Film Fresh been removed? I didn't see anything in the release notes indicating it has been so I'm concerned my player may not have taken the update well, and there could well be other problems too.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27122 of 27148 Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 947
The Film Fresh service had to shut down due to a business issue with Roxio. That happened some time back.

Your install issues are unusual but likely not a problem. The hang during the download is "safe" because the install doesn't begin until after the download. The hang at the power off is "safe" because the install is already completed.

If you want to be sure, you can download the version for USB install from the OPPO Support page and re-install it from a USB stick. That's quick and easy. Instructions are on the Support page.

Whether or not you do that, I suggest you do a Reset of the player and re-enter your Setup settings just to make sure everything is in a fresh state.
--Bob
mhobart likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-11-2014 at 09:09 AM.
post #27123 of 27148 Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks Bob. I'll go ahead and reset it when I get home.

If you look up "unusual" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of me included in the definition.
Smarty-pants likes this.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #27124 of 27148 Old 11-11-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 492
When did commercial interruptions start occurring with Pandora on the Oppo 93? Did it happen with this update? Seems like it was commercial free until now-not that I expect free rides or anything.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #27125 of 27148 Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 947
You have to subscribe to Pandora-One on their web site to get commercial free. There are no commercials for some hours of use before you subscribe. There is no app change here. It's just the way Pandora works.
--Bob
post #27126 of 27148 Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ That's only true if the AVR keeps the non-selected input from HDMI 2 "live", as for HDMI CEC.

If only HDMI 1 is live (despite both being cabled), HDMI 1 will carry full audio.
--Bob
I tried again but as before earlier in the year it would appear both my AVR's Denon and Pioneer (and the previous Pioneer) keep the HDMI ports live if they have been selected for use, it would seem most do. Bit of a niggle really as I would liked to have been able to have different settings for movies and SACD and I really don't want to add a splitter to the chain. That said setting the Audyssey XT32 reference level to 5dB does not affect the movies at all noticeably and leaves the SACD at a slightly higher volume than normal with as far as I can tell no adverse affects on sound quality but then my hearing aint perfect

Last edited by Rick R; 11-12-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add text
post #27127 of 27148 Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You have to subscribe to Pandora-One on their web site to get commercial free. There are no commercials for some hours of use before you subscribe. There is no app change here. It's just the way Pandora works.
--Bob
Yes, I understand how Pandora works. However, I used to listen for hours without commercials until recently. Not really a big deal I was just curious.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #27128 of 27148 Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 AM
o12

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
discs only playing when insert before power on

Greetings.
Inspite of using the latest firmware on my BDP-93, applying factory reset (and clearing BD memory) I cannot get rid of this painstaking problem (also present before 82-1009):
When the player is switched on, whenever I insert a disc it will never start playing. The screen is stuck, shows 'Close' in upper left corner although the tray has closed and the disc has been accessed (spin can be heard). When switching to the home screen -> movie the disc is always shown as 'Unknown disc'.
The only way my discs start is when they are inside before power on. So everytime I want to play a disc, I first have to restart my player!

Do I need to replace the disc drive?
Thanks for any advice.
post #27129 of 27148 Old 11-14-2014, 05:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by o12 View Post
Greetings.
Inspite of using the latest firmware on my BDP-93, applying factory reset (and clearing BD memory) I cannot get rid of this painstaking problem (also present before 82-1009):
When the player is switched on, whenever I insert a disc it will never start playing. The screen is stuck, shows 'Close' in upper left corner although the tray has closed and the disc has been accessed (spin can be heard). When switching to the home screen -> movie the disc is always shown as 'Unknown disc'.
The only way my discs start is when they are inside before power on. So everytime I want to play a disc, I first have to restart my player!

Do I need to replace the disc drive?
Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to AVSForum.

It sounds like a hardware problem. Does it do this for all types of disc? CD, DVD, Blu-ray?

I think you'll need to contact OPPO support and get their advice.

-Bill
post #27130 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BDP-93 will not power on

Had this unit for 2 years. Have not used it for about 6 months.
Always worked great until today. It will not power on.
I have the red stand by light but can not get past that.
Remote or button on unit will not power it up.
Is there something simple I can try?
thanks
post #27131 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWWW View Post
Had this unit for 2 years. Have not used it for about 6 months.
Always worked great until today. It will not power on.
I have the red stand by light but can not get past that.
Remote or button on unit will not power it up.
Is there something simple I can try?
thanks
Unplug it for a minute, while still unplugged hold the power button down for 15 sec. Then plug it back in and try it. Be sure that everything is disconnected except the power cord.
post #27132 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Unplug it for a minute, while still unplugged hold the power button down for 15 sec. Then plug it back in and try it. Be sure that everything is disconnected except the power cord.

Thanks for the reply RDG.
However still no joy.
post #27133 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 178
^ Call or email Oppo. They might be able to repair it for a low fee if the problem is fixable.
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27134 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Call or email Oppo. They might be able to repair it for a low fee if the problem is fixable.
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
Thanks Dave
I will try that..
post #27135 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM

BDP-93 will not power on

Here is what OPPO service suggested. However it did not work.
They then recommended sending it to them for service.
$79 + shipping. Really not an option for a Canadian.
I will have to find some OPPO service here in Canada.
This is very disappointing for a low mileage high end player.
Thanks for the replies...

Disconnect all cables from the player, including the HDMI, analog, and power cables. If your player was hardware modified to support alternative regions, please try removing this kit and returning the player to stock.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Reconnect just the power cable, connecting it direct toy our walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, power conditioner or transformer.

Press POWER.

Does the POWER LED go BLUE and the player shows HELLO, then OPPO then HOME MENU on the front panel of the player?

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Last edited by MikeWWW; 11-15-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
post #27136 of 27148 Old 11-15-2014, 05:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
BDP-93 will not power on

Here is what OPPO service suggested. However it did not work.
They then recommended sending it to them for service.
$79 + shipping. Really not an option for a Canadian.
Why is that, as I haven't found it prohibitively expensive to ship items I sell on eBay to Canada? It's typically about the same as shipping to the other side of the US. For a repair, there aren't any customs charges, are there?
post #27137 of 27148 Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 AM

BDP-93 will not power on

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Why is that, as I haven't found it prohibitively expensive to ship items I sell on eBay to Canada? It's typically about the same as shipping to the other side of the US. For a repair, there aren't any customs charges, are there?
Canadian shipping charges really suck. When we ship the other way it is expensive. I do envy how cheap it is to ship in the US. You are correct that there should be no custom charges on a repair. The $79 service charge is very reasonable & this includes return shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. I did the math on the shipping to California. $64 CDN with insurance & Oppo would have to charge me extra for shipping it back.

Last edited by MikeWWW; 11-16-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added shipping charge
post #27138 of 27148 Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Canadian shipping charges really suck. When we ship the other way it is expensive. I do envy how cheap it is to ship in the US. You are correct that there should be no custom charges on a repair. The $79 service charge is very reasonable & this includes return shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. I did the math on the shipping to California. $64 CDN with insurance & Oppo would have to charge me extra for shipping it back.

Yes, and if UPS gets a hold of the package when it hits the States, watch out for their inevitable brokerage fees.

I sent a DVDO iScan Duo to California for repair under warrantee through Purolator. Shipping was around $45. After it crossed the border, UPS took over. When it arrived in California, UPS wanted another $40 for duties and brokerage fees. Why the heck should I have to pay duties on an item that I own??

The same thing happened on the way back, but this time, DVDO paid the shipping costs. I still had to pay ANOTHER $35 in duties and brokerage fees. It's robbery.
post #27139 of 27148 Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
For a repair, there aren't any customs charges, are there?
Yes, there most certainly can be, as I mentioned in my comment ^ .
post #27140 of 27148 Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Yes, and if UPS gets a hold of the package when it hits the States, watch out for their inevitable brokerage fees.
Don't get me started on couriers & brokerage fees
post #27141 of 27148 Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM

I have the Oppo 93 and the 105D, on two different HT systems. I do not like the idea of firmware upgrade, as I do not like using online anything to my players. Should I sell mine and buy the next new one?
post #27142 of 27148 Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post
I have the Oppo 93 and the 105D, on two different HT systems. I do not like the idea of firmware upgrade, as I do not like using online anything to my players. Should I sell mine and buy the next new one?

Your Choice, you can upgrade it via USB dongle but I'm replying here for first shot at the sale.
What version of firmware is on the unit and the price you would ask?

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #27143 of 27148 Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post
Are you hiding from the FBI or what? j/k

You don't have to have an internet connection to the player to do a firmware upgrade.
If you actually have a pc on hand, you can download the firmware onto a usb flash drive or burn it to a cd-r.
If that is too much to handle, you could maybe ask a friend who is savvy with computers to help you with it,
or even contact Oppo support and they would probably send you cd if you can't get it done any other way.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27144 of 27148 Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is anyone having an issue with the latest FW release where it is not outputting Dolby TruHD to the receiver properly. I have an issue where sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. It will display PCM on my receiver which is a Pioneer Elite SC-37 set to auto surround. I tested it with different HDMI cables with the same result and verified that my receiver is ok with another source. I used the 2nd gen reference Blu-Ray and The Dark Knight Blu-Ray.

Last edited by Jnipz; 11-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #27145 of 27148 Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I found the answer. The secondary audio needs to be disabled and HDMI needs to be set at Bitstream
post #27146 of 27148 Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Does anyone else have an issue with the Auto Resume feature on their BDP-93? My player has the most recent firmware but I've noticed ever since I bought it a few years ago that it's not very good at recognizing the playback position for pretty much most BD (which I understand due to the Java issue) as well as many DVDs, the latter of which I find extremely annoying since my $80 Panasonic DVD player in the bedroom does a better job at resuming where I left off than the BDP-93. The manual doesn't provide any information about the number of discs it stores in memory before it starts from the beginning again (the Panasonic stores 5) - is it limited in this capacity?

As a recent example, every time I've returned to watching my copy of Hitchcock's Vertigo (2012 2-disc special edition from Universal) in the last few days I've had to manually navigate to where I left off since the player isn't remembering the position. Now, my kids do sometimes watch 2-3 other DVDs between the time I stop and resume watching Vertigo, could that be "erasing" the player's memory of the playback position? Again, it wouldn't be an issue with the Panasonic but perhaps the BDP-93 is only able to store 2-3 discs in memory before resetting? Oddly, the player seems to remember the playback position for all the kids' DVDs - could it be an issue with certain DVDs?

I've contacted OPPO customer support about this before and they explained how a "break point" is created when stopping or ejecting a disc and that I shouldn't push "stop" again before ejecting. They also recommended downloading the latest firmware. I've been careful not to push the stop button when the "Playback from previous position. Press Stop to start from beginning" message comes up and have been diligent about updating the firmware, but the issue persists.
post #27147 of 27148 Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Does anyone else have an issue with the Auto Resume feature on their BDP-93? My player has the most recent firmware but I've noticed ever since I bought it a few years ago that it's not very good at recognizing the playback position for pretty much most BD (which I understand due to the Java issue) as well as many DVDs, the latter of which I find extremely annoying since my $80 Panasonic DVD player in the bedroom does a better job at resuming where I left off than the BDP-93. The manual doesn't provide any information about the number of discs it stores in memory before it starts from the beginning again (the Panasonic stores 5) - is it limited in this capacity?

As a recent example, every time I've returned to watching my copy of Hitchcock's Vertigo (2012 2-disc special edition from Universal) in the last few days I've had to manually navigate to where I left off since the player isn't remembering the position. Now, my kids do sometimes watch 2-3 other DVDs between the time I stop and resume watching Vertigo, could that be "erasing" the player's memory of the playback position? Again, it wouldn't be an issue with the Panasonic but perhaps the BDP-93 is only able to store 2-3 discs in memory before resetting? Oddly, the player seems to remember the playback position for all the kids' DVDs - could it be an issue with certain DVDs?

I've contacted OPPO customer support about this before and they explained how a "break point" is created when stopping or ejecting a disc and that I shouldn't push "stop" again before ejecting. They also recommended downloading the latest firmware. I've been careful not to push the stop button when the "Playback from previous position. Press Stop to start from beginning" message comes up and have been diligent about updating the firmware, but the issue persists.
post #27148 of 27148 Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The (5 disk) auto-resume for DVD has always been a bit hit and miss for me. It was a feature that inclined me towards buying the Oppo in the first place as on my Pio DVD some years ago it worked fine - I could reliably switch between multi-episode DVDs and pick up where I left off, remembering subtitle choice etc etc.

With the Oppo sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - i.e. sometimes you don't get the resume option come up and the disk just restarts if you've swapped it (or even just powered off). It absolutely doesn't work if you finish at the DVD root menu - the player never bookmarks then - to stand any chance of a resume always pause during an episode and not let the disk go back to the DVD menu. If have no idea whether the 1xx series resume more reliably.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page