Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 917 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #27481 of 27504 Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Yeah I saw that. That's amazing they're so cheap! Amazon has them for like $80 or something. But if I don't get something backlit, I'll be fumbling around in the dark more than usual. Plus ... I think I need it by today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Harmony remotes from Logitech work well. There's some setup involved of course.
--Bob
Thanks Bob! I'll check those out.

EDIT: Would the Harmony 350 work? Not backlit though ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
Do you have a tablet or smartphone? Download the app for a quick fix.
I have a Note 3 and Ipad 2, but ... I don't think my firmware will allow me to use those aps. I'm on whatever the last firmware was before oppo got rid of iso playback. I can't update past that because that is why I bought the oppo ... pretty sure you have to update to use the android/apple programs.

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 03-14-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27482 of 27504 Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Yeah I saw that. That's amazing they're so cheap! Amazon has them for like $80 or something. But if I don't get something backlit, I'll be fumbling around in the dark more than usual. Plus ... I think I need it by today.
Well you can use the back-lit one for the 103, the difference is minor. I use an android tablet with a built-in IR blaster, combined with Touchsquid app.
post #27483 of 27504 Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That's got to be the cheapest OEM replacement I've ever seen.
post #27484 of 27504 Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,I'm a fresh owner of this great player!
I want to ask,is it possible to see external subtitle (Greek) from a usb stick if I buy blue ray disk that doesn't have?
post #27485 of 27504 Old 03-15-2015, 03:03 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantona72 View Post
Hi,I'm a fresh owner of this great player!
I want to ask,is it possible to see external subtitle (Greek) from a usb stick if I buy blue ray disk that doesn't have?
Contact OPPO support and ask about this. At one time there was an experimental procedure for using supplemental subtitles but I forget how it worked and don't know if it has survived into recent firmware. It was never in the release notes.

For external text subtitles with media files, they must be formatted as UTF8 with a byte-order-mark.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #27486 of 27504 Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
The Harmony remotes from Logitech work well. There's some setup involved of course.
--Bob
Bob, so I bought the Harmony 350, and ... it works for the most basic functions: Stop, Play, Pause, etc, but I see no way to use the Underscan function of the original Oppo remote ... I hope there is a way to get that function onto the Harmony without syncing it with the original remote ... since I have of course lost the original remote, which is why I bought the Harmony in the first place ... ?
post #27487 of 27504 Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Bob, so I bought the Harmony 350, and ... it works for the most basic functions: Stop, Play, Pause, etc, but I see no way to use the Underscan function of the original Oppo remote ... I hope there is a way to get that function onto the Harmony without syncing it with the original remote ... since I have of course lost the original remote, which is why I bought the Harmony in the first place ... ?
You'll probably need to assign the Zoom function to one of the buttons on the Harmony. The Zoom function should be in Harmony's database for the 93, but it may not be assigned to any button by default. Go into your Harmony configuration, pick a button, and see what choices are available in the Harmony database to assign to that button. Be aware that sometimes Harmony uses unexpected names for some functions, so what you are looking for may not be named exactly, "Zoom".

If you have to have the Harmony "learn" the code for Zoom -- i.e., if you really can't find it in their list of pre-defined choices -- and if you know anyone else with an OPPO, I believe the Zoom code is the same for the 8x, 9x, and 10x players, so you can use a remote from any of them to capture that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27488 of 27504 Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Took me a while to track this one down, but I think I've run into something. With the most recent firmware, if I play a 720p24 disc (which outputs 1080i60), I get fairly random but infrequent (and non-repeatable) dropped frames. A native 1080p24 disc, no problems. I've tried 3 HDMI cables (all using HDMI1) and there's no change, so I doubt it's a cabling issue. After reading the description of the convoluted path this model made to gaining DVD 24p output, I'm wondering if the 720p24->1080i60 conversion is running into the same frame dropping problem that made that feature difficult to engineer. Anyway, I wonder if it's already a known issue, if it's worth reporting due to the unlikelihood of a firmware fix for such an unrepeatable corner case in a model this old. I'm pretty certain what I'm seeing is an actual dropped frame and not a frame cadence issue.
post #27489 of 27504 Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM

CDDA Question

Hello, all. Happy Springtime.

First time, long time. Awesome forum dedicated to an awesome product (BDP-93).

I'm experiencing some weirdness. For the first time since upgrading to the 10/27/14 firmware, I tried playing some MP3s in the OPPO and got nothing in return. The letters CDDA flashed in the top left corner, then nothing. No sound, no title list. This 1st attempt was with a burned CD. So I tried an official release. Then MP3s via the USB port (on a mini-HD). Same thing.

Any idea what's up? These files have always played before.

Much thanks.
Mitch
post #27490 of 27504 Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 PM

i have an oppo 93.
i use a mediasonic 4 disk unit with qty(4) 2tb hdd in them.
it works fine, but i need more space.

question:
if i replaced the (4) 2tb hdd, with (4) 4tb hdd and formatted them as (2) 2tb MBR disk for each of the (4) drives making (8) tb hdd in (1) 4-disk mediasonic enclosure,
would the oppo 93 recognize it as (8) 2TB drives.

thanks tony
post #27491 of 27504 Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
FWIW with my issue, it appears after at least a decent amount of testing as if I no longer see dropped frames on HDMI2, which is a decent enough solution for me.
post #27492 of 27504 Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Newer Firmware

Just wanted to verify that the newest firmware doesn't break being able to play an AVCHD folder playing on the BDP-93?
post #27493 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Netflix was finally launched in Australia/NZ today, so I connected up my Oppo 93 to the internet and activated ethernet in the settings, but the Netflix app reports back that streaming is not supported in my area and obscures the dialogue box where it would normally provide a device identification code with a large Exit sign.

Has the Netflix app been hardcoded to the location of player manufacture so that it will not work with Netflix in a different region? My Oppo 93 is a USA model I believe.

I can log into Netflix and stream material with my PC, but the Oppo 93 does not work.

I'm really sick of this region coding crap foisted onto us on most media now.
post #27494 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Netflix was finally launched in Australia/NZ today, so I connected up my Oppo 93 to the internet and activated ethernet in the settings, but the Netflix app reports back that streaming is not supported in my area and obscures the dialogue box where it would normally provide a device identification code with a large Exit sign.

Has the Netflix app been hardcoded to the location of player manufacture so that it will not work with Netflix in a different region? My Oppo 93 is a USA model I believe.

I can log into Netflix and stream material with my PC, but the Oppo 93 does not work.

I'm really sick of this region coding crap foisted onto us on most media now.
This person reports the opposite results with a 103:
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/t...0#entry2009907

Maybe the 93 firmware needs an update for Netflix.
post #27495 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Same sort of thing happened when Netflix turned on in Canada. It was just a matter of Netflix having to update their servers to include the player as authorized.

Get in touch with OPPO support in Australia and they can badger Netflix.
--Bob
post #27496 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Same sort of thing happened when Netflix turned on in Canada. It was just a matter of Netflix having to update their servers to include the player as authorized.

Get in touch with OPPO support in Australia and they can badger Netflix.
--Bob
No point: there have been plenty of posts about how the Netflix app is not going to be updated to support better than 720p or stereo for the 93 because it's effectively considered a dead machine.

I was just annoyed that beyond that, there are other obstacles in the way because of this ridiculous insistence on locking everything down to regions so the market can be manipulated. I'm tired of having crippled hardware because of the studio ego trip.

I will not be buying another Oppo in future, but following a path that gives me flexibility in watching what I want, how I want.
post #27497 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

My mistake. I thought you were looking for help.
--Bob
Kilgore likes this.
post #27498 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
No point: there have been plenty of posts about how the Netflix app is not going to be updated to support better than 720p or stereo for the 93 because it's effectively considered a dead machine.

I was just annoyed that beyond that, there are other obstacles in the way because of this ridiculous insistence on locking everything down to regions so the market can be manipulated. I'm tired of having crippled hardware because of the studio ego trip.

I will not be buying another Oppo in future, but following a path that gives me flexibility in watching what I want, how I want.
I was told by Oppo to get the Roku 3. I can do the different regions on that one. I do get canada with the oppo 93 besides the US.

Jacob
post #27499 of 27504 Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm thinking that all of this has nothing to do with Oppo. Netflix decides what works, and where. Being that you have a USA player with USA firmware, its not expected to work in AU. You need an AU player with AU firmware for that. Blame Netflix, blame the entertainment gods, but don't blame Oppo.
If you really want it to work, use a DNS service to connect with Netflix in the USA.
post #27500 of 27504 Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Media Control App for BDP-9x

Is there an online guide as to how to use this app?
And how to configure a DLNA server to work with it?

The link on page 1 for the "Android Media Control" just goes to the Google page.

Thus far I can get it to emit sound ok... have not yet worked out what's required to make video happen (i.e. it will play the sound from video files but not show the video!)
post #27501 of 27504 Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
Is there an online guide as to how to use this app?
And how to configure a DLNA server to work with it?

The link on page 1 for the "Android Media Control" just goes to the Google page.

Thus far I can get it to emit sound ok... have not yet worked out what's required to make video happen (i.e. it will play the sound from video files but not show the video!)
I did manage to get it to work... but along the way...

.. I had a mixed display with Vudu's welcome message overlayed with an error and the Home screen
.. video played in the background with "Media Mode" on display and audio from the video file audible
.. video played whilst the "Oppo" logo bounced around the screen
.. making a change to the DLNA server meant power-cycling the Oppo as it cached what it learnt

There are some interesting "bugs" somewhere!

HOWEVER...

Using the "Media Control" app is much faster for browsing media to play than using the traditional remote control to browse directories.
post #27502 of 27504 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since I have a ISO 93, it may be my fault. My Netflix will no longer work. I get the normal page, but whatever I select to stream causes a timeout. I watch the progress bar slow to a crawl then time out. It used to work fine. I have several devices in my home that stream correctly. My 93 is on a LAN cable. I have a super fast internet. Is there a cache or buffer I can clean out? I'm leaning toward Netflix not fully supporting old apps like mine. Anyone else conform their results with the older FW? Vudu works fine.
My next step is a Chromecast. I have 2 in other rooms that work perfectly.
post #27503 of 27504 Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Since I have a ISO 93, it may be my fault. My Netflix will no longer work. I get the normal page, but whatever I select to stream causes a timeout. I watch the progress bar slow to a crawl then time out. It used to work fine. I have several devices in my home that stream correctly. My 93 is on a LAN cable. I have a super fast internet. Is there a cache or buffer I can clean out? I'm leaning toward Netflix not fully supporting old apps like mine. Anyone else conform their results with the older FW? Vudu works fine.
My next step is a Chromecast. I have 2 in other rooms that work perfectly.
De-authorize Netflix in the Oppo, then reboot the player and try again.
post #27504 of 27504 Old Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I got a $199 Darbee DVP 5000 Darblet yesterday - the BDP-93 holdout's answer to the 103D.

I was lusting after a new AVR to upgrade from DD over optical to DD+ over HDMI from my Amazon Fire TV and let me channel all my video through a Darbee, but even a $600 refurbed Yamaha (can't get a multichannel analog input for less) was too rich for my blood for that little added functionality.

So I got a Blue Jeans Cables $33 5 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out switch instead! Nice toy. While it comes with the usual credit-card sized remote, it auto-switches to the most-recently powered on input, meaning I don't have to use the remote very often. With the Fire TV, my 93, my old Panny BD-50 and my laptop (for streams only available from web sites) all plugged in, I have one spare jack, and whatever I turn on automatically grabs the projector away from the Fire. (I leave the HDMI plug on the cable to the laptop lying on the table next to the laptop most of the time, so plugging it in mimics turning it on.) The switchbox comes with a power transformer, but almost doesn't need to, since most HDMI devices provide enough power over the cable to power the switchbox without the transformer.

My old Comcast high def cable box's DVI also worked through the HDMI switch with a DVI to HDMI cable (the switch came a day before the Darblet) until I attached the Darblet between the switch and the projector - at which point I got an on-screen overlay when I switched to the cable box saying that HDCP was compromised from the cable box and I should use its component video connection (which I'd been using until then) instead. Apparently the Darbee enforces HDCP more rigorously than the projector and the switch!

So no Darbee for cable TV until I get a newer high-def cable box from Comcast with a real HDMI output.

The question everyone wants to know the answer to, however, is whether the Darbee is worth bothering with. It definitely does add sharpness by enhancing local contrast, making for darker edges.

I've tried it as high as 115% but the effect gets a bit harsh when dialed up too high, since that can make faces a bit grim-looking - as well as sometimes adding a bit of haloing.

Folks in the 103D thread seem to have reached consensus on using around 35%, at which level the effect is very subtle.

On 1080 material I'm running it in HD mode at around 50-55%, which is where the folks on the Darbee Darblet thread here seem to have clustered, unless I'm watching older SD stuff, where I tend to crank it up fairly high (I leave it in HD mode, however). Be sure to go deep into the menu system to set the on-screen indication of the level in use to not stay on screen persistently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player