Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 918 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #27511 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello Bill, thank you for your reply.
So looking at the SetUp Menu, Firmware Information states BDP9x-65-0303.
The 93 is hard connected to my LAN, I ran the "Test Internet connection" test.
It was successful!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27512 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in the D View Post
Hello Bill, thank you for your reply.
So looking at the SetUp Menu, Firmware Information states BDP9x-65-0303.
The 93 is hard connected to my LAN, I ran the "Test Internet connection" test.
It was successful!
Jeff
That firmware is about 3 years old, so the first thing is to get current. You can either update over the network or via a USB stick. OPPO's instructions here: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-9...e-82-1009.aspx

After the update, I would:
  • turn off BD-Live (permanently)
  • clear out Persistent Storage
  • Reset Factory Defaults
  • Reenter my local settings
  • Turn the player off and on again one more time

See if that makes a difference in your disc playback.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #27513 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 02:27 PM

Hello Bill, OK that is what I will do.
I had previously gone to the Oppo Digital website and found what they listed as the most recent Firmware, kinda figured then that my units Firmware was way outdated.
But, I didn't want to start anything until I had reached out for further information/ideas.
After I get this completed I will post again to detail what the results were.
thanks again,
Jeff
post #27514 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^Seeing as how you are already connected via LAN, you will want to just go into the setup menu and initiate the firmware update there.
It should only take a few minutes or less to update, and then the player will power itself off after the update.

Seeing as how your firmware is so outdated, after you have updated the first time,
power the player back on and go back into the setup menu and try to update the firmware again.
If it says you are up to date, then all should be well, but there MIGHT be a chance that you need
multiple update sessions since your current firmware is so old.

After you are sure that your firmware is up to date, go back into the setup menu again and
select to reset the player back it's default settings.
This is necessary sometimes to make sure that the firmware update you just did includes all of the new features
you may have acquired during said update, and will clear out any possible residual errors that may be embedded in the software.
Now, BEFORE you do that reset, you might want to write down all of you current settings so that you can easily change
them back to where you need them after you have reset the player.
If that part is not a concern for you, then it's not necessary to write them down.

With the age of your current firmware, it's a pretty safe bet that your problem discs will play a-ok after you get the player updated and reset.
Rick R likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27515 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 03:45 PM

Hey Bill
I have done as you suggested.
Both of my problem Blu Ray disks play flawlessly now!
It was much simpler than I imagined it might be. Many thanks.
Jeff
post #27516 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^Seeing as how you are already connected via LAN, you will want to just go into the setup menu and initiate the firmware update there.
It should only take a few minutes or less to update, and then the player will power itself off after the update.

Seeing as how your firmware is so outdated, after you have updated the first time,
power the player back on and go back into the setup menu and try to update the firmware again.
If it says you are up to date, then all should be well, but there MIGHT be a chance that you need

After you are sure that your firmware is up to date, go back into the setup menu again and
This is necessary sometimes to make sure that the firmware update you just did includes all of the new features
you may have acquired during said update, and will clear out any possible residual errors that may be embedded in the software.
Now, BEFORE you do that reset, you might want to write down all of you current settings so that you can easily change
If that part is not a concern for you, then it's not necessary to write them down.

With the age of your current firmware, it's a pretty safe bet that your problem discs will play a-ok after you get the player updated and reset.
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.
I have done what has been suggested and all is right in my humble Theater again!
I am a very recent addition to the Forums joining not so long ago although I have visited here many times over these past few years to read and browse the Theater Construction threads, Reading/researching HT gear and the planning for my own Theater build.
Lots of excellent information, photos and conversation not to mention the help I have seen given to those who have asked.
I for one appreciate the help

Jeff
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #27517 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in the D View Post
Hey Bill
I have done as you suggested.
Both of my problem Blu Ray disks play flawlessly now!
It was much simpler than I imagined it might be. Many thanks.
Jeff
Very good! Only expert amateur Help Desk workers like Smarty and myself could have solved this problem.

We'll be here all week.

-Bill
Smarty-pants likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #27518 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
^ Try the veal....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27519 of 27530 Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #27520 of 27530 Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Very good! Only expert amateur Help Desk workers like Smarty and myself could have solved this problem.

We'll be here all week.

-Bill
Well I don't know about you guys being "amateur Help Desk workers". I know,I know, that's all just a little "tongue in cheek" humor.
But still, Bills reply was posted only 5 minutes after my initial post, that's quick!
I finally noticed the number of Posts that you guys (Bill and Dave) have (combined over 30,000 posts). I'm impressed!
Looking back at what I had going on my issues were pretty easy for those of you with the experience. What you proposed was simple and logical.
Now you're teaching an old Dog (that's me) new tricks.
thanks for taking the time.
Jeff
post #27521 of 27530 Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, first post here. I have a BDP-93 that still has the old iso firmware and I'm looking for opinions on wether to update or not. I do watch iso's, but couldn't I just mount them with slysoft virtual clone drive and stream them to the oppo?
post #27522 of 27530 Old 04-06-2015, 07:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty76 View Post
Hi, first post here. I have a BDP-93 that still has the old iso firmware and I'm looking for opinions on wether to update or not. I do watch iso's, but couldn't I just mount them with slysoft virtual clone drive and stream them to the oppo?
No. Mounted DVDs will be VIDEO_TS folder structures, which have never been supported by an OPPO player.

Mounted Blu-rays will be BDMV folders, which work only on local storage.

Neither are (easily) streamable by DLNA, which is more file-oriented than directory oriented.

-Bill
marty76 and captainsparrow like this.

post #27523 of 27530 Old 04-07-2015, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lightbulb you may leave Oppo FW alone if no issues

Quote:
Hello Marty and fellow lucky Oppo Bdp-93 owners,

Here is my 2 cents worth matey, I have the US model since May 2011- Oppo Bdp-93 with only the Original Oppo FW( bdp9x-42-0323 ) installed and then I placed internally the
Oppo BDP-93/95 multiregion DIY kit - PRO version from bluraychip based in denmark.

Also I have not firmware upgraded the above Multiregion Pro kit to version 1.1 it still has only the original Bluraychip danish firmware. I also have not used the ISO function yet but I did not want to lose that hidden function. It's fully disabled if one upgrades to the latest Oppo FW from what I have read in past posts on AVS forum. And one can no longer self downgrade the Oppo FW via the Pro kits.

So here is the amazing fact and experience for me, I have managed to watch without any problems or issues on my 60" Mitsubishi TV DLP 60638 the following US & UK sourced latest bluray disc titles like ; Hobbit the battle five armies, Hunger Games Mockingjay part 1, Birdman ,John Wick, The maze runner, Mastered in 4K Ghostbusters 1 &2 and Divergent.

Therefore since all is still functioning for me I will not upgrade to the latest Oppo FW. I hope this helps matey cheers
marty76 likes this.
post #27524 of 27530 Old 04-17-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
As others have mentioned, streaming is not well supported.

If you have the ability to watch ISOs (especially after processing with AnyDVD HD SpeedMenu), then you shouldn't get any playback issues necessitating a firmware upgrade: the main issues are in the menus which are effectively bypassed with this processing. You do however lose the ability to identify the extras (they just become numbered tracks).

You don't even need ISOs since Oppo 93 will play Bluray structure similarly and if you use BD Rebuilder with 3D titles it doesn't increase the storage requirements whilst retaining 3D capability (so I believe).

DVD playback from local storage still requires ISO though.
marty76 likes this.
post #27525 of 27530 Old 04-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No. Mounted DVDs will be VIDEO_TS folder structures, which have never been supported by an OPPO player.

Mounted Blu-rays will be BDMV folders, which work only on local storage.

Neither are (easily) streamable by DLNA, which is more file-oriented than directory oriented.

-Bill
Thanks Bill. That helps. I won't do the upgrade. CaptainSparrow, thanks. I was looking to bring the Netflix app up to date, but that's not as important as having iso reading capabilities.
Hey, IanD, thanks for the response. I need to read those DVD iso's!
post #27526 of 27530 Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I have had multiple arguments about this in the past (mainly the Pio 51/05 thread) really nice to see someone believes the same as me, good post and advice for the OP
post #27527 of 27530 Old Today, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Regarding a totally unrelated issue, I've switched from using HDMI1 to HDMI2, and that's going fine. However, there's also a setting called "primary output" which I could set to HDMI1 or HDMI2. I've changed it to HDMI2, but I'm wondering what that setting actually does. Aren't all outputs active at the same time? I see a mention in the manual that if you set it to HDMI2, then the audio in HDMI1 is limited to stereo, but no mention of any ill effects from setting it to HDMI1. Anyone know?
post #27528 of 27530 Old Today, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I think I'm clutching at straws with this question, but it's worth asking:

Is there any way to delay the audio by 100mS when using the '93 analogue outputs? I have lip sync issues when using the analogue outputs due to video delays by my Lumagen 2041 and JVC X500.

I see that the BDP103 has audio delay, but it's hard to justify spending £500 just to gain this feature. I was hoping to last out another year or so using my 93 with an older non HDMI processor and then buy a DTS:X model, but I'm currently reduced to just using the 'core' DTS output via optical so I can use my processor's audio delay.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
post #27529 of 27530 Old Today, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No audio delay on the 93. God I swear there should be a market for cheap HDMI/analog adapters with adjustable audio delays, but I've never seen them, so you're stuck getting a new player or a new receiver. I'd love to be wrong.
post #27530 of 27530 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks Catbus...as I said clutching at straws. New player (which will be outdated once 4K players appear) or new processor (very expensive right now if I want DTS:X and HDCP 2.2). Third option to just stick with DTS 'core' seems tempting...

(I sold my Onkyo 818 as I just didn't like the sound of it, even used without Audyssey and as a processor but of course I didn't have the lip sync issues).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player