Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 919 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 99Likes
post #27541 of 27569 Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I respectfully suggest that if you are running your player via HDMI for Video/Audio for blu-ray playback, there is little to no advantage to spending the considerable extra $$ for an Oppo when compared to a decent quality mainstream player.
I'll take my Sony BDP-S1000ES over the Oppo 93 based on my needs in my home theater system for 1/5 the price any day. And my Sony plays any and all seamless branching/dolby truehd titles bitstreamed to my Yamaha RX-V3900 just fine.
I'm sure that the Sony player you mention is fine until one wants to listen to a SACD or DVD-Audio disc, at which point you're out of luck. Point being that people have different requirements in what they want/need in a player and the extra cost of the Oppo is obviously worth it to many people. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27542 of 27569 Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Since you've got decent gear, might be interested in the MiniDSP DDRC-88A until the dust settles on object audio.

Are you connecting the analogue outs of the Oppo BDP-93 into the Arcam AV8?
I'm going to a dealer's open day next weekend to see/hear the DDRC88A, so that's likely my next purchase to put on the output terminals of the AV8. I don't see me buying an Atmos/DTS:X processor until at least next year as I'm remodeling my room then, so I won't be able to fit height speakers until then anyway.

I did connect the analogue outputs of the '93 to the AV8 but there is too much delay in the video chain (Lumagen 2041 and JVC X500) so the sound is out of sync. So now I'm just using the coax output of the '93 into the AV8 which then allows me to use the audio delay function in the AV8. I still think this sounds better than the 818 did using HD sound decoding, so it's no hardship to wait a while longer.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.

Last edited by Kelvin1965S; 05-04-2015 at 05:49 AM.
post #27543 of 27569 Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'm sure that the Sony player you mention is fine until one wants to listen to a SACD or DVD-Audio disc, at which point you're out of luck. Point being that people have different requirements in what they want/need in a player and the extra cost of the Oppo is obviously worth it to many people. YMMV.
I agree with you 100%, which is why I qualified the post you responded to with "if you are running your player via HDMI for Video/Audio for blu-ray playback".

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #27544 of 27569 Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After perusing the forum on the BDP-93, i now see that from my iMac/macbook pro world, I will need to format the hard drive of no greater than 2TB to Fat32 and simply load my mkv files created by Bytecopy software and all will be well. What I don't see is if it is possible in this set up to daisy chain 2 or 3 of the 2TB drives with success. Also, is there anything else required for the OPPO BDP 93 to access the files?
post #27545 of 27569 Old 05-04-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogipro View Post
After perusing the forum on the BDP-93, i now see that from my iMac/macbook pro world, I will need to format the hard drive of no greater than 2TB to Fat32 and simply load my mkv files created by Bytecopy software and all will be well. What I don't see is if it is possible in this set up to daisy chain 2 or 3 of the 2TB drives with success. Also, is there anything else required for the OPPO BDP 93 to access the files?
Yes, the Oppo can see up to 8 drives simultaneously.

I have 8 x 2TB hard drives hooked up to my Oppo at any one time.

4 drives in a Mediasonic Probox and another 4 drives in a docking station (makes it easier to swap drives as I currently have 11 x 2TB drives with just movies).

Max

P.S. using a Windows setup, my drives are all formatted in NTFS
post #27546 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 AM

Liked: 16
Thanks for the help, djbluemax1. Wow, 22TB ! Doubt I will get there, but those Blu-Rays do eat up the space.
post #27547 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
I don't think Dolby invented seamless branching. And its introduction goes back to DVD . . . . long before these Oppo models. I assume Oppo simply underestimated the processing demands of seamless branching coupled with Dolby TrueHD & chose an inadequate processor in the afflicted models. But most players of the same/similar vintage handle seamless branching coupled with Dolby TrueHD or Atmos just fine.
I suppose there are consumers cruising EBay and CraigsList who aren't aware of the issues with seamless branching and Dolby TrueHD/Atmos with these Oppo players.
Really?
Yes of course "seamless branching" was on DVD, but I think it would be obvious that the methods used with
Dolby THD are many times more more complicated and require much more processing power than similar methods used on DVDs.
So, those methods were not introduced until after Blu-ray came to market.
I think you already know that, but are just trying to split hairs in order to keep trolling the thread
about a player that has been discontinued for years.
No matter how bitter you are over the issue, it's not going to change, so maybe it's time to move on to a different cause.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27548 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Really?
Yes of course "seamless branching" was on DVD, but I think it would be obvious that the methods used with
Dolby THD are many times more more complicated and require much more processing power than similar methods used on DVDs.
So, those methods were not introduced until after Blu-ray came to market.
I think you already know that, but are just trying to split hairs in order to keep trolling the thread
about a player that has been discontinued for years.
No matter how bitter you are over the issue, it's not going to change, so maybe it's time to move on to a different cause.
I have no "bitterness" over this particular problem with the 83/93/95 Oppo models. I simply don't agree it is a widespread problem with other players. I think Oppo has been reasonably up front about the issue once their customers started complaining, and has admitted to the problem and their inability to correct it beyond offering a workaround. I was also disagreeing with your comment making it seem like Dolby was somehow involved in the design and introduction of seamless branching on blu-ray after the Oppo 83/93/95 models came into being, which is not the case.
Dolby didn't introduce seamless branching & it existed prior to these Oppo models, even prior to blu-ray. Dolby TrueHD has been around since prior to these Oppo models.
Players from other CE manufacturers of the same vintage seem to work fine (I think I read one report of someone with a Sony BDP-S570 getting audio pauses on a Lionsgate title using seamless branching - makes one wonder if that player used the same processor as the Oppo's).

post #27549 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Dolby didn't introduce seamless branching & it existed prior to these Oppo models, even prior to blu-ray. Dolby TrueHD has been around since prior to these Oppo models.
True as far as it goes. But we're not talking about seamless branching as a whole. The issue is with complex seamless branching which is part of a BD copy protection scheme. (used in combination with playlist obfuscation of varying types) This is a relatively new trick, created after this particular player was designed. Even newer players needed firmware tweaks to handle the buffering required. If you map the branching points in a movie you'll see that the 93 handles some of them and not others. Its also true that the same branching scheme works just fine with DTS audio. Pretty much all the the older MTK based players have the same issue, not just Oppo's, and some other decoders do too.
post #27550 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I also believe this may have something to do with the up conversion chips in these players. I have the OPPO BDP 83 with the Anchor Bay chip and the LG BH200 with the Marvell QDEO chip. Both players have the drop out issues with some seamless branching movies like Total Recall. My Pioneer DBP 320 does not have a special up conversion chip and plays these troublesome titles with out a glitch.
The LG BH200 audio drop outs are far more severe than the OPPO BDP 83 is. Of course switching both players to LPCM over HDMI resolves the issue. As for this problem with Dolby Atmos I personally don't care about it as I am not going to upgrade my receiver to these formats anyway as I am satisfied with my current 7.1 system. So the BDP 83 will suit my needs just fine.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #27551 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I also believe this may have something to do with the up conversion chips in these players. I have the OPPO BDP 83 with the Anchor Bay chip and the LG BH200 with the Marvell QDEO chip. Both players have the drop out issues with some seamless branching movies like Total Recall. My Pioneer DBP 320 does not have a special up conversion chip and plays these troublesome titles with out a glitch.
The video processor chip is completely unrelated to the issue.
post #27552 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The video processor chip is completely unrelated to the issue.

I think it does. Everybody keeps saying it has something to do with just the MediaTek chipset but the LG BH200 uses a Broadcom chipset, BCM7440.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/fea...hp?source=home
So this is not related to one chip manufacturer.
As I stated the two players that have an up conversion chipset have the audio drop out issue but the Pioneer 320 does not have a special up conversion chipset and it has no issues with the audio dropouts.

post #27553 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I think it does. Everybody keeps saying it has something to do with just the MediaTek chipset but the LG BH200 uses a Broadcom chipset, BCM7440.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/fea...hp?source=home
So this is not related to one chip manufacturer.
As I stated the two players that have an up conversion chipset have the audio drop out issue but the Pioneer 320 does not have a special up conversion chipset and it has no issues with the audio dropouts.
If it had something to do with the video processor chip, it would still be a problem when the player is set to output LPCM instead of bitstream. Keep in mind that "everybody" includes Oppo who knows a bit about the design of the player. Also keep in mind that the problem exists on both HDMI outputs on the Oppo, only 1 of which passes through the QDEO chip.
post #27554 of 27569 Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it had something to do with the video processor chip, it would still be a problem when the player is set to output LPCM instead of bitstream. Keep in mind that "everybody" includes Oppo who knows a bit about the design of the player. Also keep in mind that the problem exists on both HDMI outputs on the Oppo, only 1 of which passes through the QDEO chip.

I am not saying that the chip itself causes the problem as I know its purpose is to improve the video of regular DVDs. What I am noting, of the three players I have, the two with specialized video chips exhibit the audio drop out problem and the player that has no specialized video chip does not.
I do not think this is a problem related to the age of the chips, or the manufacturer of the chips, either as my BH200 is my oldest player, November 2007, my 320 is my second oldest player fall of 2008, and the 83 is the newest player June of 2009.
There is older players that have no issue with this and then there is newer players that have this problem like the OPPO 93, which by the way also has a specialized video chip.
Another thing about the players that have this issue is they were not cheap to buy. The BH200 was $1000, the OPPO 83 was $500, and the OPPO 93 was $500. The 320 which does not have the issue was $399.

I could understand why some people are upset as they may not have the resources to keep buying players every year or so. I also understand that a player like the BH200 will never be updated as most of these units are probably now out of circulation. I myself would like to buy a new OPPO 103D but I just don't have the spare cash around to do it. I do not even have the spare cash to buy a run of the mill BD player right now. So every once and a while I will run into this issue and have to use LCPM over HDMI. And like I said before I have no intentions of upgrading my AVR for Dolby Atmos so the work around solution is fine. Although it would be cool if OPPO did fix this issue.

post #27555 of 27569 Old 05-09-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone still have the oppo firmware that allows for ISO playback? Greatly appreciated if you could post a link as the ones on the front page are no longer available. Thanks!
post #27556 of 27569 Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyichiban View Post
Anyone still have the oppo firmware that allows for ISO playback? Greatly appreciated if you could post a link as the ones on the front page are no longer available. Thanks!
I have the file somewhere on my computer as I still have the ISO FW in my 93. I could email it to you? You do know you can't downgrade?
post #27557 of 27569 Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Disappointed with my BDP-93 having the audio dropouts on John Wick....

A Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (relatively cheap player) in the Family Rooms plays it fine....

LPCM is a PITA workaround that shouldn't be necessary.

Wyatt
post #27558 of 27569 Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 231
^ Why is it a pita? Just set it to LPCM and leave it there. It takes about 5 seconds and done.

Once again, as has been mentioned numerous times...
The -93 was manufactured BEFORE Dolby implemented Complex Seamless Branching with TrueHD audio.
Many players that were also manufactured around the same also have the same issues.
The players that don't have the issue, just happened to have a different processing chip that is capable of handling the issue better.
I'm if Oppo could turn back time and use a different chip knowing what would happen in the future,
they would do so to help ease the minds of those 'troubled' by using LPCM audio.

BTW, you do also have the option of selling the -93 which has a great resale value,
and just using the Panasonic player that you deem to be better.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27559 of 27569 Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post
A Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (relatively cheap player) in the Family Rooms plays it fine....
You should probably just swap out the Oppo for the Panny if the Panny performs more to your standards? After all, the whole purpose of this equipment is to provide enjoyment . . not frustration?

post #27560 of 27569 Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
You should probably just swap out the Oppo for the Panny if the Panny performs more to your standards? After all, the whole purpose of this equipment is to provide enjoyment . . not frustration?
I have been thinking about upgrading my BDP-93 for a 103. Then I wonder if I should just wait for Oppo's 4k player so I will not have to buy another player in a years time. Love my 93 but with its inability to play the new formats well all I can say is I did not spend the $ for the Oppo to use a PS3.
post #27561 of 27569 Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post
I have been thinking about upgrading my BDP-93 for a 103. Then I wonder if I should just wait for Oppo's 4k player so I will not have to buy another player in a years time. Love my 93 but with its inability to play the new formats well all I can say is I did not spend the $ for the Oppo to use a PS3.
I've seen some prices for the 93 at Amazon for 400 to 450. If you sell it, you're basically getting back the price of purchase minus 20 per year used.

The 103D would cost you about 150 - 200 once you deduct the sale price. When the Oppo 4K player comes out, I'm sure you could sell the 103D for about the same if not more.

The Oppo 4K is reputed to be coming out end of 2016 or beginning of 2017.
post #27562 of 27569 Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
An alternative is to sell off the Oppo now assuming you can still get a good price used for it, and switch to a player you know can handle seamless branching + Dolby TrueHD/Atmos titles (maybe just run your Panny for now) and then consider a newer Oppo if you are still a fan of their equipment when they offer a 4k player that has all the features you care about.
I'm a fan of the Panasonic & Sony players and am still using older players which do everything I want from a blu-ray player & all work fine (and all play seamless branching + Dolby TrueHD/Atmos titles fine). But they do not have as complete a feature set as the Oppo 93 either (assuming you actually care about those extra features and use them), and cost between $100 & $200 each vs. Oppo's pricing.

Last edited by Rich86; 05-19-2015 at 11:15 PM.
post #27563 of 27569 Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have been thinking about upgrading my BDP-93 for a 103. Then I wonder if I should just wait for Oppo's 4k player so I will not have to buy another player in a years time.
I was about to comment on how, based upon precedent, I surmise it will be at least early fall 2016 before Oppo's UHD BD player is available but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The Oppo 4K is reputed to be coming out end of 2016 or beginning of 2017.
. . . someone else posted word. I think it will be at least six months after the earliest UHD players before Oppo's drops. Crystal balling that Panny is amongst the first (if not the first) to release (a) player(s) in spring 2016 at CES, there will then likely be that additional window of time wherein Oppo is working with a chipset manuf on a solution that does all the UHD BD stuff plus (fingers crossed) SACD and DVD-A.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 05-19-2015 at 09:39 AM.
post #27564 of 27569 Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I was about to comment on how, based upon precedent, I surmise it will be at least early fall 2016 before Oppo's UHD BD player is available but . . .. . . someone else posted word. I think it will be at least six months after the earliest UHD players before Oppo's drops. Crystal balling that Panny is amongst the first (if not the first) to release (a) player(s) in spring 2016 at CES, there will then likely be that additional window of time wherein Oppo is working with a chipset manuf on a solution that does all the UHD BD stuff plus (fingers crossed) SACD and DVD-A.
SACD and DVD-A are major components of what Oppo offers, IMO. I don't think it's going anywhere.

The tortuous question for me is if they support Sony's version of HDR, or the more complex Dolby HDR. It looks like the Dolby version will more likely be supported in the streaming services where, due to Sony's influence, the 4K BD world will be more like Sony's xTended Dynamic Range.

Just an opinion.
post #27565 of 27569 Old 05-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post

I've gone through a copy Panasonic players in my other room, including that one. They worked fine but both had the drive mechanism fail not long after the end of their warranty period. So I've ruled out panasonic blu-ray players. My old BDP-93 still works just fine :-)

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #27566 of 27569 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Why is it a pita? Just set it to LPCM and leave it there. It takes about 5 seconds and done.

Once again, as has been mentioned numerous times...
The -93 was manufactured BEFORE Dolby implemented Complex Seamless Branching with TrueHD audio.
Many players that were also manufactured around the same also have the same issues.
The players that don't have the issue, just happened to have a different processing chip that is capable of handling the issue better.
I'm if Oppo could turn back time and use a different chip knowing what would happen in the future,
they would do so to help ease the minds of those 'troubled' by using LPCM audio.

BTW, you do also have the option of selling the -93 which has a great resale value,
and just using the Panasonic player that you deem to be better.

I, for better or worse, have an extensive collection of SACD along with a few DVD-Audio that I do use the Oppo 93 for. As noted, the Oppo is not holding up as well as other less expensive equipment is for ongoing BluRay playback. Tonight's fail was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan with subtitles that were not visible (shown below the black area of the 2.35:1 picture area). Had to go up to the family room to watch the movie...

I will simply add a less expensive, better performing BluRay player to my theater....

Wyatt
post #27567 of 27569 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
^ I have to ask the obvious question: Did you check that the Subtitle Shift value in Setup was not left at a setting to shift the subtitles that low?

Alternatively, Press and Hold the Subtitles button on the remote until the Subtitles Shift message appears on screen (a couple seconds), and then use Up/Down Arrow to adjust their position. Press Enter to confirm the position you end up liking.
--Bob
Jacob305 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27568 of 27569 Unread Today, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
so with the recent issues with atmos and streaming branching with trueHD/atmos. the oppo 93 has taken a bit of a beating. fear not.. there is DTS:X is coming. probably wont have that issue.. of course it could have the DTS BOMB. that is more of a receiver issue then a blu ray player.. maybe some of the experts can shed more light on it?

I guess its pays to be patience.. I still have my player and it works great.. I wont lie and say I thought switching over. I am glad that I have waited.

Jacob
post #27569 of 27569 Unread Today, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any users of the Media control app here? I have been using it on my phone, until I upgraded to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. After that it just keeps crashing every time I turn the app on. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page