13Likes

post #2731 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Is 24P still broken? I have my OPPO-93 connected to my processor and have my Pioneer Plasma connected to the processor using HDMI.I an using HDMI-1 in the OPPO-93 and turned on 24p and a slight lag in speech as in the original firmware.I have updated to the new firmware and it is better but not still in sync.I turn OFF 24P and it all good so there must still be a problem in 24P.Is OPPO aware of this problem???

I did not have this problem with my OPPO-83 even from the original release software.Is anyone else having this problem with their OPPO-93???? If I am the only one I will call OPPO to report the sync issue with 24P turned on.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

No, but isn't Oppo's fault. Netflix only released the new software that allows 5.1 audio and subtitles to the PS3. It will be available to other players soon, hopefuly to the 93 as well.

No CC, some titles have English subtitles as an option (you must select it when it's available). I'm afraid most titles will never have subtitles, though. Obviously , foreign movies spoken in foreign language already have subtitles.

Thanks for your help. It sounds like it's the same for all players that are not PS3 at this point. That's what I thought. I think I read way back in the string that we hoped that the 93 would get this new interface at some point
post #2733 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
After the new firmware was installed, PS3 Media Server no longer plays DVD ISO. I can see the files but when I hit "transcode" nothing happens and the green arrow is the only option.

I also noticed the Oppo 93 no longer shows up on the PS3MS screen as it used to. I have the 93 .conf file .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #2734 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM

In the "Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread" Highlander_AVS said that he found the Cirrus Dacs sound of the 83 via analog outs too digital and metallic in Multi Channel.

For those who use the new 93's mch analog outs: do you find the sound digital, metallic as well ? Is there any harshness in the high tones ?
I'm asking because I would mostly use the 93 for SACD and music blu-ray, the 95 being out of my price league (especially here in Europe)
post #2735 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM

I have been using 1080p/24 Auto and have not seen any lip-sync problems on BD or SD-DVD movies that I have watched. My low-end avr, Onkyo rc-160 seems to play well with the 93. My tv on the other hand ,which is noted for TBE with AMP high will cause video jerkiness on some SD content. Turning it off ends problem.
post #2736 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Oppo BDP-95 is on their website !
post #2737 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM

The 93 is also officially released!
post #2738 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

Oppo BDP-95 is on their website !

WOW !!!

FINALLY WE GOT !!!

Men, ESS Sabre 32 9018 Quad Stack for Stereo and 9018 either for 7.1 analog outs !!!

THANKS OPPO !!!!
post #2739 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM

I am having problems with the Tron DVD. The picture freezes in some parts. Plays fine on PS3.
post #2740 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post

I am still having some issues.
post #2741 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I think they are making a mistake, but that'll be their problem. Nothing new when it comes to using the general public to finalize a product.
post #2742 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have been using this player almost daily since I received it early December. I did have some audio sync issues at first but once I turned off audio sync in my Denon 3808ci receiver it went away. Using 24p no lip sync issues. Did have handshake issues at beginning of movies only. After firmware update no issues. I love this player. Would buy it again in a heartbeat. DVD content is great. Netflix is good, but will be better when we get 5.1 support. I don't watch it but my kids love it. BR quality is excellent. I love thus player. I am using a Denon 3808ci, oppo 93, Sony 55nx810.

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #2743 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was hoping that the Pioneer AVR issues would be fully resolved before the 93 was released, as that starts the 30 day return window for us early releasers.

Last communication from Oppo seemed to indicate that they were convinced Pioneer AVR issues were resolved, but mine certainly are not. Still cannot get 3D through an SC-37. Same HDMI cable and AVR input works flawlessly with a Panasonic DBT100, made the swap over earlier today to verifiy this is still true, then emailed Oppo again. HDMI 2 direct to TV carries 3D with no apparent problems, but would prefer to have single cable solution. All firmware updates on Pioneer's web page and in the update section of the AVR have been made.

Now I have to think very hard about this. Maybe if a region-free mod shows up soon I will not be so torn, still nothing on the Bluraychip.dk main page.

Dave
post #2744 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 369
The question is will they make more by allowing this to be a Christmas gift or lose sales since there are still more than a few users having issues depending on their equipment and what they are attempting to do. 95 audio specs look great.
post #2745 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Time for a new thread title?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2746 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yep time for a title change.

Oppo Beta Group
post #2747 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I think they are making a mistake, but that'll be their problem. Nothing new when it comes to using the general public to finalize a product.

Here's food for thought, when is a BD player ever finalized?

New gear constantly gets sold that people find new issues with, BD-Live updates create playback issues, and then there's the case that the player will continue to be refined and enhanced. Do you really want a finalized BD player?

Oppo Beta Group
post #2748 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax25 View Post

Anyone had problems with folders not showing up in the browser?

I actually have the issue of only about 1/6 of my folders on an NTFS drive showing data inside them, even though they all actually have music files inside them that can be seen when the drive is connected to a laptop.

The strange part is, that even though I have folders that run from A-Z, via the Oppo browser, folders start at D and then run through Z (with data) and then start again at A going all the way through Z but the second set of folders do not show any data (even though there is data there.)
post #2749 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Any idea on what the cost of the BDP-95 will be? Looks very tempting but the only way I can even think about it would be to return my BDP-93 within 30 days from today AND not have to pay more than another $300....
post #2750 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Only issues I'm having are truncation with DVD-A when played thru HDMI2 with HDMI connected to panel. Oppo have made a suggestion which I haven't had time to try yet.

And the green flashing on my panel which others have mentioned.

Otherwise all seems good to go.
post #2751 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zredsox View Post

I actually have the issue of only about 1/6 of my folders on an NTFS drive showing data inside them, even though they all actually have music files inside them that can be seen when the drive is connected to a laptop.

The strange part is, that even though I have folders that run from A-Z, via the Oppo browser, folders start at D and then run through Z (with data) and then start again at A going all the way through Z but the second set of folders do not show any data (even though there is data there.)

I noticed that too on my HDD...and just presumed the file name(s) have a space at the strat. Need to check further on this.
post #2752 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Here's a food for thought, when is a BD player ever finalized?

New gear constantly gets sold that people find new issues with, BD-Live updates create playback issues, and then there's the case that the player will continue to be refined and enhanced. Do you really want a finalized BD player?

Using what others do to rationalize Oppo making the BDP-93 official isn't really valid in my book. It's an easy excuse, actually.

I'm not really bashing Oppo here so please at least read everything I write before condemning me. I do believe the system involved with the BDP-93 testing was flawed. The testing and whatnot done with the BDP-83 worked better. I know the BDP-83 wasn't released without its issues, as well, but it was not nearly as bad at first.

I ordered the BDP-83 via early purchase and I did the same this time with the BDP-93. The difference between the two is simply impossible to sit down and put into works. I plugged in my BDP-83 and was simply blown away. With the BDP-93 one thing after another had my blood boiling and me wondering what imbecile had allowed the testing system to pre-release the BDP-93 with the 1108 firmware. It was truly garbage in many ways. I found myself wanting to chuck it out the nearest window at times. Yeah yeah, I know, it was only pre-release and feedback was needed. I know the line. That's not a valid explanation or rationalization for pre-releasing something too early.

Myself and people I know who all received the pre-release BDP-93's did go through customer service many times to report issues and help get them resolved so that other people didn't have to experience the same problems but even that process was truly painful due to a number of issues that I'm not going to even get into here. The point in mentioning it is that if you pre-release a product expecting people to report issues so that you can fix them then you must also make sure your support staff is capable of handling it and knowing the product. If it turns out that some of the support staff do not and pass along incorrect information to the customer then you have a serious problem and that did happen. I sincerely hope Oppo rethinks testing process the next time around and goes back to a system more like was done with the BDP-83 release.

Now, the new official firmware is a huge improvement but it still hasn't fixed all the issues that existed. There are problems with Matroska support that need to be resolved. I, personally, get extremely annoyed at a product that claims support for something but when I go to use it I run into numerous issues. They need to fix the Matroska stuff. Personally, I believe one more firmware update pushed out the door would have been good before an official launch for the BDP-93. Maybe their goal is to have it official so people can still purchase it for Christmas but if that is the case then it doesn't please me.

My goal here isn't to just bash Oppo and put down their products. I'm a happy owner of the BDP-83 and I want to see the BDP-93 be solid successor to the 83. I want Oppo to continue to develop and sell quality products at a great cost. I just haven't felt that the process this time around was to Oppo's benefit and if anything it nearly cost them my money and some people I know still might return their BDP-93's. Nothing is ever perfect. I know this. Been there. Done that. Regardless, it's always best to iron out as many wrinkles as possible before launch and I believe Oppo is being premature.

I'm hoping a new firmware update gets released soon to finally deal with unresolved problems and that the BDP-93 goes on to sell even more units than the 83 did. The Oppo BDP-83 topped Consumer Reports last time around along with just about every list ranking Blu-Ray players that I was able to find. It'd be nice to see the BDP-93 do the same thing this time around.
post #2753 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye38135 View Post

Any idea on what the cost of the BDP-95 will be? Looks very tempting but the only way I can even think about it would be to return my BDP-93 within 30 days from today AND not have to pay more than another $300....

There's no pricing on the Oppo web site yet.

For what it's worth, MusicDirect.com is showing it as $979 with an expected availability in March:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

I suggest you treat that as a rumor for now.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2754 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

In the "Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread" Highlander_AVS said that he found the Cirrus Dacs sound of the 83 via analog outs too digital and metallic in Multi Channel.

For those who use the new 93's mch analog outs: do you find the sound digital, metallic as well ? Is there any harshness in the high tones ?
I'm asking because I would mostly use the 93 for SACD and music blu-ray, the 95 being out of my price league (especially here in Europe)

Personally, though, much improved, I did not like to listen to the analog outputs on the BDP-83 because I found it rather fatiguing on both MCH and the Dedicated outputs. I feel the BDP-93 no longer has this anomaly. For sound quality plus, you should be very happy with a BDP-93 purchase.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #2755 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

WOW !!!

FINALLY WE GOT !!!

Men, ESS Sabre 32 9018 Quad Stack for Stereo and 9018 either for 7.1 analog outs !!!

THANKS OPPO !!!!

Can the Oppo cognoscenti comment/prognosticate on whether the 95 will be better than the 93 (or 83) via HDMI (not analog -- I assume that) for audio or video?

Mike
post #2756 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Other than some obscure DLNA streaming files stuff, what exactly is wrong?

I placed my order, as I'm confident that the blu-ray playback (which is the main point of the product) works. Of course, any glitches will probably be fixed via firmware.
post #2757 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post

I agree.

Now, the new official firmware is a huge improvement but it still hasn't fixed all the issues that existed. There are problems with Matroska support that need to be resolved. I, personally, get extremely annoyed at a product that claims support for something but when I go to use it I run into numerous issues. They need to fix the Matroska stuff. Personally, I believe one more firmware update pushed out the door would have been good before an official launch for the BDP-93. Maybe their goal is to have it official so people can still purchase it for Christmas but if that is the case then it doesn't please me.

Not to be flip -- but what is Matroska anyway? I've never heard of it -- so I can't imagine that its a big important feature (not that I've heard of everything). I don't think fixing obscure stuff that affects 3% of the population of buyers matters that much. ANd isn't blu-ray playback the most important thing for this player? Is there anything wrong there?

There are tons of file formats with DLNA I never heard of -- and I'm sure matter to very few people. Streaming is secondary (at least for me). After all, its a blu-ray player (that ALSO does streaming).
post #2758 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I would have hoped 1/2x zoom would be working correctly by official release Hope this is working after the next FW update!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2759 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Can the Oppo cognoscenti comment/prognosticate on whether the 95 will be better than the 93 (or 83) via HDMI (not analog -- I assume that) for audio or video?

Mike

I don't expect any difference between the 93 and the 95 over HDMI for either audio or video.
--Bob

post #2760 of 26943 Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Not to be flip -- but what is Matroska anyway? I've never heard of it -- so I can't imagine that its a big important feature (not that I've heard of everything). I don't think fixing obscure stuff that affects 3% of the population of buyers matters that much. ANd isn't blu-ray playback the most important thing for this player? Is there anything wrong there?

There are tons of file formats with DLNA I never heard of -- and I'm sure matter to very few people. Streaming is secondary (at least for me). After all, its a blu-ray player (that ALSO does streaming).

Matroska is mkv files...not very obscure. Streaming is very important, especially on a streaming player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page