Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 920 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #27571 of 27592 Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostaszag View Post
Any users of the Media control app here? I have been using it on my phone, until I upgraded to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. After that it just keeps crashing every time I turn the app on. Does anyone else have the same problem?
You'll be pleased to know that Oppo has updated the 93's Media Control app for Android today. I've installed it on my Lollipop devices and it's working fine now.

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla -> Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber -> Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla -> RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27572 of 27592 Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
You'll be pleased to know that Oppo has updated the 93's Media Control app for Android today. I've installed it on my Lollipop devices and it's working fine now.
Yup!

Updated on
May 26, 2015

Version

Size
5.33MB

WHAT'S NEW
-Fix the compatibility issue with Android 5.0 Lollipop

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27573 of 27592 Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
Yes it does! Thanks for the info!
post #27574 of 27592 Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cool Major theater upgrade

After adding a Darbee to my theater a few months ago, with an HDMI switcher to feed all my HDMI video through it (take that, 103D) I decided to finally upgrade from my pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V457 to their RX-A1030 - the bottom of the next-to-most recent version of their Aventage line. The 1040 (and until it came out, the 1030) cost $1,100 - $1,200 - but the 1030 now costs only $700 new.

With an ESS Sabre 9006 DAC (a less-expensive sibling of the ESS Sabre DAC in the Oppo x5 machines), the AVR, fed LPCM over HDMI by the Oppo, sounds a lot clearer than using the Oppo's multichannel analog output. Think "solid state versus tube." (I connected them both ways so I could A/B them).

The 1030 upconverts all video to HDMI, from RCA composite to component video to S-Video (an input left off of the 1040), so even old video tapes and pre-DVD video disks get the benefit of the Darbee.

Spurning the Audessy room eq system common on AVRs, Yamaha has its own room eq (and distance and phase compensation) system called YPAO which surprised me by doing an excellent - and quick - job. (In the past, I've always calibrated with a sound pressure level meter and my ears, but YPAO did a much better job.)

Going from the optical connection I had to use from my Amazon Fire TV to my RX-V457 for Dolby Digital surround, to HDMI audio into the 1030, meant I stepped up to Dolby Digital Plus with its much higher bitrate for clearer high frequencies.

To evaluate the change, I ran Star Trek's Into Darkness in synch via Blu-ray from the Oppo and via Amazon Prime from the Fire TV. I was surprised that I couldn't hear a lot of difference - I may have to use a small group concert video to tell the difference.

I was insistent upon having the multichannel analog connection so I could play music off my PC without using my projector - remarkably, the LPCM HDMI feed also works without an HDMI monitor being on! Maybe the AVR plus the Darbee is enough to let HDMI audio work from my 93. I haven't played with the Media Control app - I just plug a 9" LCD display into the composite video output on the Oppo 93, and use that to navigate the network folders.

Oh, and the 1030's FM tuner plays HD radio, which let me sell my Sangean HDT-1 component tuner, and its phono input is letting me put my NAD PP 2 phono preamp up for sale as well!

I will say one thing about the Oppo's video that differs from the gospel that the image from Blu-ray players is all the same. It's not true. When I stepped up from my first BD player, a Panasonic, to the 93 - which I did to get hifi analog output - I was pleased to find that the image from Blu-ray disks was much more natural-looking than with the Panny.

I've essentially gotten much of the benefit of a 105D from my 93 with the AVR's DAC and the outboard Darbee, without giving up the use of the composite video jack for music selection, something the 10x Oppos don't let you do.
Kilgore and postrokfan like this.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-10-2015 at 08:24 AM.
post #27575 of 27592 Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Red face To quote Laura Petrie, "I was wr-r-ring!"

I have to retreat from my claim that the sound of LPCM over HDMI from the 93 into the new Yamaha sounded very different from the sound of the multichannel analog. My prior Yamaha extended its setup tweaks for the speakers - distance calibration, level tweaks, and bass management - to the multichannel input, which made it a real "outlier" in that respect.

The current models don't do that, so I was comparing the equalized and synch-calibrated LPCM to the raw multichannel analog - not a fair comparison.

However, there's a "Through" setting inside the Manual section of setup (under "Parametric EQ") that lets you tweak the automated YPAO results. "Through" bypasses them entirely, allowing a fairer comparison with the multichannel analog - and that way they sounded much more alike.

And tonight I put an unused pair of Boston Audio bookshelf speakers into service as rear surrounds (YPAO eq'd them to match the Paradigm speakers in the rest of the system). It makes the sound much more immersive. For over a decade I've been saying that there was no point to adding rear surrounds, since the pinnae of our ears make sounds behind us inaudible.

To quote my mother, "You're never so wrong as when you're positive!"

Since my new Yamaha lets you save 2 alternate speaker configurations (and copy one to another as a starting point for tweaks) and lets you toggle between them, I was able to flip back and forth between 7.1 and 5.1. Even on 5.1 material - the majority of my Blu-ray library - it was the difference between feeling surrounded by the sound and the sound coming up to me but not behind.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-10-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #27576 of 27592 Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know of a box that's the opposite of an HDMI switcher that feeds one output from your choice of inputs? I'd like to be able to send my HDMI1 output normally to my AVR but directly to my projector when watching a stereo or mono disk - I'd then set my AVR to an analog pair coming from the multichannel FL and FR, with which it would then be able to do its usual tricks, matrix derivation or just plain all-speaker stereo - it won't do anything with LPCM over HDMI but play it straight through, which means all sound is from the screenwall!

Sure, I could climb on a chair and re-route the HDMI cable, but a simple switch to send an HDMI input to either of two outputs would be ideal.

(I tried connecting HDMI2 to the projector and turning off audio on HDMI1 but it didn't give me analog sound!)

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found exactly this type of device at Amazon for $10!

Last edited by Philnick; 06-09-2015 at 10:35 PM.
post #27577 of 27592 Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've never had a need to try this . . but . .
It seems to me that all a hdmi switch does is connect 2 hdmi ports to each other in a switch box.
So, if you declared the "output" of a switch to be the "input" in your installation and used 2 of the "input" connections on the switch as your 2 "outputs", might that work the way you want?
No guarantees . just an idea.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #27578 of 27592 Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Questions about the Media App

I've been playing with the Media App on my Android phone and have run across three annoyances:

1) It doesn't seem to be able to find the Oppo unless the Oppo is already playing a media file. Is this normal?

2) It doesn't display the embedded album art, even though the Oppo itself has no problem with that.

3) Its Search Function - which made me very happy to see - doesn't do anything, since there's no command to "Search for what I've entered." The Enter key - the prime candidate - just does a Carriage Return and a Line Feed.

Anyone know how to make these work?

Phil

post #27579 of 27592 Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Does anyone know of a box that's the opposite of an HDMI switcher that feeds one output from your choice of inputs? I'd like to be able to send my HDMI1 output normally to my AVR but directly to my projector when watching a stereo or mono disk - I'd then set my AVR to an analog pair coming from the multichannel FL and FR, with which it would then be able to do its usual tricks, matrix derivation or just plain all-speaker stereo - it won't do anything with LPCM over HDMI but play it straight through, which means all sound is from the screenwall!

Sure, I could climb on a chair and re-route the HDMI cable, but a simple switch to send an HDMI input to either of two outputs would be ideal.

(I tried connecting HDMI2 to the projector and turning off audio on HDMI1 but it didn't give me analog sound!)

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found exactly this type of device at Amazon for $10!
Mostly out of curiosity, what exactly did you end up ordering? If you went with a HDMI splitter, you might run into issues with the audio being dumbed down to what the projector supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I've never had a need to try this . . but . .
It seems to me that all a hdmi switch does is connect 2 hdmi ports to each other in a switch box.
So, if you declared the "output" of a switch to be the "input" in your installation and used 2 of the "input" connections on the switch as your 2 "outputs", might that work the way you want?
No guarantees . just an idea.
Generally speaking, that won't work as it would screw up the HDMI handshakes as the inputs would be expecting sources and the outputs would be expecting sinks. There's a small chance it might work on a passive HDMI switch, but definitely not on an active one.
post #27580 of 27592 Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Mostly out of curiosity, what exactly did you end up ordering? If you went with a HDMI splitter, you might run into issues with the audio being dumbed down to what the projector supports.
What I found - and briefly ordered, was a $10 Portta 4PET0301SS 3x1 3-Port HDMI v1.4 Auto Switch Intelligent Switcher "1 in 3 out" auto/manual switcher.

I ran for years with HDMI 1 plugged directly into this projector's first HDMI jack and multichannel analog into my prior AVR, now on living room duty, where it even gets to switch video (that system has an old Trinitron with at best an RCA composite video jack, which that AVR knows how to handle).

The only change in my setup in this regard is that I had always kept audio over HDMI 1 switched off. Now, I may have to toggle it, since I'm using LPCM over HDMI for 5.1 / 7.1 disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Generally speaking, that won't work as it would screw up the HDMI handshakes as the inputs would be expecting sources and the outputs would be expecting sinks. There's a small chance it might work on a passive HDMI switch, but definitely not on an active one.
I canceled that order as soon as I saw the post by Rich86, as I had bought a $33 Blue Jeans Cables 5 in 1 out auto/manual switcher a few months ago (before I bought my new AVR) so I could route all my HDMI inputs into a shiny new Darbee. I retired that switcher once I got the new AVR, so it was available for the experiment Rich86 proposed.

Once I saw your response, I reinstated that order. I'll have it by the weekend, along with a set of 6' HDMI cables to hook it up with, and I'll report back on whether this works - and whether I have to manually switch off audio over HDMI 1 in order for the multichannel analog output to be live. If not, it would be one button press to make the switch - and maybe not even that, if the auto-sensing in the switch detects that the projector's second HDMI jack has become live and the AVR's HDMI jack has gone to sleep!

HEY! Since I still have the Blue Jeans Cables box, I could use it to route both the outputs of the AVR and the new switch into the Darbee, and send the Darbee's output directly into the projector, so I wouldn't lose Darbee processing when I switch to analog audio! The Blue Jeans Cables box also auto switches (to the most-recently-powered-on device), with a remote for when it doesn't do so automatically.

Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 06-10-2015 at 08:30 AM.
post #27581 of 27592 Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 363
^ If none of those options work, a matrix switch would probably be the best tool for what you're looking to do. These have multiple inputs and multiple outputs with the ability to route any input to any output. So you can have input 1 to output 1 and input 2 to output 1, or input 1 to output 1 and input 2 to output 2, or input 1 to output 2 and input 2 to output 1, or input 1 to output 2 and input 2 to output 2, and so on. An inexpensive model should probably suffice.
post #27582 of 27592 Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops!

The switch that I ordered, which I had put the link to above, was in the wrong direction: 3-->1 instead of 1-->3

The mistake happened because I had found a $15 bidirectional 2-->1 or 1-->2 switcher but had been seduced by a smaller and cheaper item on the matrix of variants on its detail page.

Called Amazon as soon as I unwrapped it and saw one output and 3 inputs, to swap them out. Amazon refunded the wrong one and told me not to even bother returning it - probably because it would cost too much to ship it back. I've ordered the bidirectional Portta 4PET0201B 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch Amplifier Splitter with HDCP Passthrough 3 4 5 PS3 DVD.

I'll get that Monday.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-12-2015 at 05:11 PM.
post #27583 of 27592 Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Decided to skip this tweak

After nearly three hours spent reading all the comments by buyers of different HDMI signal sharers, splitters, and matrixers, I decided that the risk of getting a unit that will: have video problems, knock the HDMI audio back down to stereo, or just plain die an early death, outweighs the ability to have sound come out all the speakers on a mono or stereo movie.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-13-2015 at 05:11 AM.
post #27584 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 AM

Liked: 0
Question Having an odd issue

So my issue is I only get dropout on blu ray disks. Any other format/content works just fine.
Firmware BDP9x-82-1009
I have tried;
  • new HDMI cables
  • different TV's
  • HDMI 1 and HDMI 2
  • with and without Onkyo TX-SR607
  • Auto res, 1080p, 720p etc.
  • HDMI sound LPCM, Auto, Bitstream
  • speaker config stereo (downstream), 7.1
  • HDMI CEC off
  • Clear persistent storage
  • reset to factory

Any suggestions or thoughts on this. Oppo said it was not possible to only have dropout on blu ray only.
post #27585 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
^ The only item you have not mentioned trying is Deep Color OFF.

A critical piece of info is whether the dropouts happen at the same time codes or randomly for any given disc, and whether repeatable or not if you Rewind back a bit and replay that same time code. Also does it remain repeatable at that time code if you replay after switching between Bitstream and LPCM output.

I'm assuming you are testing this with commercially produced Blu-Rays, not personal copies or "Made on Demand" discs burned on recordable media. If they are burned discs, the problem may be the choice of media or the speed setting for burning.
--Bob
post #27586 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

A critical piece of info is whether the dropouts happen at the same time codes or randomly for any given disc, and whether repeatable or not if you Rewind back a bit and replay that same time code. Also does it remain repeatable at that time code if you replay after switching between Bitstream and LPCM output.

I'm assuming you are testing this with commercially produced Blu-Rays, not personal copies or "Made on Demand" discs burned on recordable media. If they are burned discs, the problem may be the choice of media or the speed setting for burning.
--Bob
Deep color also both on and off
always random, sometimes happening right away sometimes not happening for 30 mins into a disk (more or less) but all disks do it.
I have only used Commercial disks
post #27587 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
Also if you rewind/resume it will continue dropout and may or may not be in exactly the same spot. changing LPCM or bitstream seem to make it play right for 2 seconds then dropouts. Once it starts dropping out then it will not stop, you may get 3 to 5 seconds of good video followed by 1 to indefinite dropout. I can make a video of it if that would help
post #27588 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith 2 View Post
Also if you rewind/resume it will continue dropout and may or may not be in exactly the same spot. changing LPCM or bitstream seem to make it play right for 2 seconds then dropouts. Once it starts dropping out then it will not stop, you may get 3 to 5 seconds of good video followed by 1 to indefinite dropout. I can make a video of it if that would help
How long are the cables?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #27589 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
How long are the cables?

-Bill
I have tried 3', 4' and 6'
all of different standard and quality
1.3 and 1.4
post #27590 of 27592 Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
^ Sounds like you'll need to send the player in for service. If they can reproduce the failure, they can certainly fix it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27591 of 27592 Old 06-20-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith 2 View Post
This might be a little off the wall, but have you tried opening the player and cleaning it?

I had a similar issue some time back with intermittent dropouts/stuttering of video and sometimes it would clear up when I rewound, only to pop back up later. I tried everything I could think of.

Turns out, when I opened the player, there was a super fine hair/piece of fiber (looked like synthetic fiber, not actual organic hair) caught near the optical readers lens. As the disc spun, the hair would occasionally flutter in front of the lens.

Tiny hair, but the holes/dots on a Blu Ray disc are small enough that the fluttering hair interfered with reading the data. Removed the hair and the problem hasn't returned.

Max

P.S. these days, I examine every disc before popping it into the player and if I see any specks of dust/lint/whatever, I'll blow it off before popping the disc in the player. One of those blower brushes used for camera lenses is handy.

Last edited by djbluemax1; 06-20-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #27592 of 27592 Old Today, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
P.S. these days, I examine every disc before popping it into the player and if I see any specks of dust/lint/whatever, I'll blow it off before popping the disc in the player.
It's not just visible contaminants that can cause problems: chemical outgassing from Bluray cases or other environmental pollutants can deposit in a thin film on the disc surface that is invisible to the eye, but which interferes with laser operation.

With dropouts, the first thing to do is clean the disc with mild detergent and warm water, then try again: if the problem is resolved, it's likely "dirty" discs, if not then possibly the laser lens is grubby and needs cleaning (somewhat harder to do though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page