Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 922 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Just to confirm: you get the same result bypassing the receiver?

What happens when you cycle through the Resolutions? Any stable image?

-Bill
I got the same result when bypassing the receiver and going straight to either one of my displays. Also, changing resolution made no difference. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Wright View Post
I got the same result when bypassing the receiver and going straight to either one of my displays. Also, changing resolution made no difference. Thanks.
The only things I can think of: (1) try different cables; HDMI cabling is the source of many mysterious failures. (2) Reset Factory Defaults. (3) Reinstall the firmware from USB.

If still no good, contact OPPO suppport with the details. They'll help even if you are out of warranty. If the player needs service they have very reasonable fixed-price repair service.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 08-26-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice Bill, I'll report back here if I get my issue resolved.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just a bought Exemplar Oppo 93 to use with my ModWright DAC for blu-ray and Netflix etc.. I got a very good deal on it (traded my Sony 7200 and Sony Playstation3). I tried 3 different 103D's and all would not work with my ModWright DAC through digital rca output-loud humming noise. I have had decent luck with the 93, no hum and only once on Mad Max did I get a blu-ray copy protection electronic "pop" sound. I then switched to the rca L/R outputs and no "pops". And as a cd transport, I am very surprised how good it sounds with my Elyse DAC.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
The only things I can think of: (1) try different cables; HDMI cabling is the source of many mysterious failures. (2) Reset Factory Defaults. (3) Reinstall the firmware from USB.

If still no good, contact OPPO suppport with the details. They'll help even if you are out of warranty. If the player needs service they have very reasonable fixed-price repair service.

-Bill
Is it possible that you set it to use HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1 ? Check Setup / Video Setup / Primary Output.

Last edited by Philnick; 08-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Small Blu ray film to DVD ( BDP-93 )

I would like to use the BDP-93 in order to convert a 20 minutes Blu-ray film into a DVD.
The BDP will only be used to output the data, then a computer will do the conversion.

There are at least two outputs on the BDP-93 rear that I see as usable: Composite video and eSATA, and I'd prefer the eSATA.

How would you proceed with the BDP-93 to output the blu-ray data so that it can be used on a computer to make a DVD?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon vin View Post
I would like to use the BDP-93 in order to convert a 20 minutes Blu-ray film into a DVD.
The BDP will only be used to output the data, then a computer will do the conversion.

There are at least two outputs on the BDP-93 rear that I see as usable: Composite video and eSATA, and I'd prefer the eSATA.

How would you proceed with the BDP-93 to output the blu-ray data so that it can be used on a computer to make a DVD?
Welcome to AVSForum

You can't use the OPPO to do that.

There is computer software to do what you want. Have you looked into that?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
There is computer software to do what you want. Have you looked into that?
The thing is I don't have a blu-ray player on the computer, besides the Oppo. If there is no way to connect the BDP to the computer (Linux desktop), things get very difficult :-(
Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
The thing is I don't have a blu-ray player on the computer, besides the Oppo. If there is no way to connect the BDP to the computer (Linux desktop), things get very difficult :-(
There is no way.

Blu-ray drives are pretty cheap these days.

-Bill

Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
There is no way.

-Bill
Ok thanks Bill. That was a request from a friend, and I decided not to buy anything for that purpose. But indeed, a new USB BD player could be an option after all.
I was hoping that actually somebody hacked the BDP-93 firmware (must be Linux) to output to eSATA or USB.
Or using a composite video IN on the computer (have none, need to buy a card).
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

You're barking up the wrong tree. The BDP-93 is of no use for what you want to do.

1) The BDP-93 will not put out any video from a Blu-ray through its composite jack, and 2) the eSATA jack is an input, not an output. It's only used for playing things from hard disks plugged into that jack.

The only video output from a Blu-ray disk that the BDP-93 provides is through the HDMI jacks, which are copy-protected using the movie-industry mandated HDCP protocol, whereby any device licensed by the movie industry's HDCP organization - like the player, an AVR, or a display - is required to get a licensed password from the next device in line.

No analog video is allowed from Blu-ray disks by any Blu-ray player manufactured in the past several years. The very first Blu-ray players put out analog component video, but they're not made any more.

Last edited by Philnick; 08-26-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Actually just bought hauppauge.com > site > products > data_colossus.html
Let see how it works!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree. The BDP-93 is of no use for what you want to do.

1) The BDP-93 will not put out any video from a Blu-ray through its composite jack, and 2) the eSATA jack is an input, not an output. It's only used for playing things from hard disks plugged into that jack.

The only video output from a Blu-ray disk that the BDP-93 provides is through the HDMI jacks, which are copy-protected using the movie-industry mandated HDCP protocol, whereby any device licensed by the movie industry's HDCP organization - like the player, an AVR, or a display - is required to get a licensed password from the next device in line.

No analog video is allowed from Blu-ray disks by any Blu-ray player manufactured in the past several years. The very first Blu-ray players put out analog component video, but they're not made any more.
Early players output analog video through their s-video & composite connections also . . of course new players do not even have any of those connections.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick question and apologies if this has already been asked: Will my player recognize BD-A disks? I'm currently not using this player and is packed away. Thanks.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Quick question and apologies if this has already been asked: Will my player recognize BD-A disks? I'm currently not using this player and is packed away. Thanks.
Assuming you mean audio-only Blu-ray discs, the answer is yes.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Actually just bought hauppauge.com > site > products > data_colossus.html
Let see how it works!
Not sure that's gonna work...from Hauppauge's site:

Input/output connections
HDMI input, from non-encrypted HDMI sources such as the Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and D-SLR cameras
Note: Colossus 2 will not record video from HDMI sources with HDCP copy protection.

EDIT: sorry, I guess you could use the analog video like you were discussing earlier.

I'm curious though...a blu-ray drive, like others suggested, would be MUCH cheaper than buying a whole dedicated capture card like this. You seemed to indicate you didn't want to spend too much on this.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707

Last edited by fatherom; 08-27-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:19 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I'm curious though...a blu-ray drive, like others suggested, would be MUCH cheaper than buying a whole dedicated capture card like this. You seemed to indicate you didn't want to spend too much on this.
+1 Why do it the hard way when there's an incredibly easy (and inexpensive) way to accomplish the goal...
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oppo BDP-93: Any way to change the splash/boot screen?

I recently tossed in a test disc to check the white & black levels of my Panasonic ZT-60 plasma, and was shocked to see a hint of burn-in from the Oppo splash screen!

It's my most heavily used source, so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. Don't know what on earth possessed them to use a static white-on-black screen. It takes so long to boot that I figure the TV probably spends about 0.5% of its operating hours showing that infernal image. Thanks guys.

Anyway, I've taken to switching the TV to antenna while the player spends eons booting. Wondering whether there's a better solution. I know I can hit the "home" key, but I don't consider that much better. I wish I could copy a low-contrast boot screen image for it to use, instead.

BTW, I've had the TV's pixel-orbiter enabled since day 1.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 455
^^^
Don't confuse image retention with "burn-in". Watch a movie and then immediately check again to see if the Oppo logo is still there. The Oppo has the screen saver, so its really not likely that any real "burn-in" can occur.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
With "burn in" the ghost of the white letters will be darker than the mid-white screen you use to check. With "image retention" (temporary and not a real problem) the ghost of the white letters will be lighter than the mid-white screen you use to check.

If you commonly see "image retention" that often means you have overall light output on the display (Contrast setting) too high.
--Bob
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Something I'm curious about that I've been meaning to ask. When I use the HDMI 2 output of the player connected to an ASUS 28" monitor directly, my receiver won't recognize any surround format from HDMI 1 (HDMI 1 of the Oppo is the primary and is connected to an HDMI input at the receiver). Only shows PCM 2.1. HDMI 1 input of the monitor is connected to the secondary HDMI output of my receiver, and HDMI 2 of the monitor is connected to the HDMI 2 of the Oppo. If I unplug the HDMI 2 cable from the Oppo, I get the surround formats back. I don't know off hand whether or not the ASUS monitor is HDCP compliant (I use it for PC gaming so I assume it is), but if it's not, could that be the reason I lose the surrounds? I don't need the computer monitor in the configuration, but I like to use it just as a monitoring display.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Something I'm curious about that I've been meaning to ask. When I use the HDMI 2 output of the player connected to an ASUS 28" monitor directly, my receiver won't recognize any surround format from HDMI 1 (HDMI 1 of the Oppo is the primary and is connected to an HDMI input at the receiver). Only shows PCM 2.1. HDMI 1 input of the monitor is connected to the secondary HDMI output of my receiver, and HDMI 2 of the monitor is connected to the HDMI 2 of the Oppo. If I unplug the HDMI 2 cable from the Oppo, I get the surround formats back. I don't know off hand whether or not the ASUS monitor is HDCP compliant (I use it for PC gaming so I assume it is), but if it's not, could that be the reason I lose the surrounds? I don't need the computer monitor in the configuration, but I like to use it just as a monitoring display.
The player can't output 2 different audio streams at the same time. You could try swapping the HDMI outputs so that HDMI-1 feeds the monitor with HDMI audio shut off.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the configuration doesn't include sending audio to the ASUS monitor but I'll try your suggestion, thanks. I'll lose QDEO video processing but not an issue when listening to Multichannel/lossless music.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, the configuration doesn't include sending audio to the ASUS monitor but I'll try your suggestion, thanks. I'll lose QDEO video processing but not an issue when listening to Multichannel/lossless music.
There is ALWAYS audio on HDMI-2. If the receiving device doesn't handshake for multichannel it will get 2-ch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player