Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 930 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 141Likes
post #27871 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
If you don't have Atmos capable AVR, then any improvements in sound quality are down to the care taken with the TrueHD soundtrack, all else being equal.

If Atmos is in your future,
s.
Maybe that is the case and more care is being taken with the TrueHD tracks when Atmos is included, in which case we all benefit. I have been around awhile on these forums as you probably know and been in this hobby a lot of years, I don't comment lightly or imagine improvements in sound quality/imaging etc. unless there is something distinctly evident.

No I don't plan on having Atmos in my future, if I had a dedicated theatre then maybe but it has not impressed me enough and with already two comprehensive 7.1 systems in the house 14 speakers, 2 Oppos and 2 subs I don't want nor would get away with any more speakers .

I was pretty much aware of all the other information in your post. It would appear however that my original belief from subsequent posts is correct, that the problem is 9x specific no matter whether the AVR was Atmos capable or not. Yes I am aware the problem is not Atmos but the complex seamless branching in the TrueHD soundtracks. I now have quite a lot of BD (some 3D) with TrueHD soundtracks and not one of them has given me a problem with audio dropouts and I basically bitstream all the time apart from special audio requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27872 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You are correct. Atmos being present or not has no bearing on the 93's inability to handle DTHD bitstreams with complex branching.
Thanks for that confirmation, I was beginning to wonder why I appeared to have it wrong. Appreciate you taking the time to reply and all your other very informative posts in the past
post #27873 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
Yes I am aware the problem is not Atmos but the complex seamless branching in the TrueHD soundtracks. I now have quite a lot of BD (some 3D) with TrueHD soundtracks and not one of them has given me a problem with audio dropouts and I basically bitstream all the time apart from special audio requirements.
The problem is a combination of complex seamless branching and TrueHD soundtracks which highlights limitations in the Oppo 93. It is quite possible you could find other players that also have similar limitations.

Not all titles use complex seamless branching and 3D in particular generally uses a single m2ts file for the movie, so it is not surprising that you may not have experienced dropouts on TrueHD.

I'm wondering if titles with Atmos and complex seamless branching stress the Oppo's limitations even more than TrueHD, making it more likely that dropouts will occur.

However, after all this discussion, I have lost what your original concern was. It simply has to be accepted that the Oppo 93 has limitations when it comes to bitstreaming TrueHD (with or without Atmos) in some seamlessly branched titles and these limitations can be worked around (only for TrueHD) successfully by decoding to LPCM in the Oppo.

Frankly I am at the point of diminishing returns with audio and will simply not benefit from better than TrueHD or DTS-HD MA so will not be upgrading beyond this point. I am even questioning the benefits of UHD as Bluray is entirely satisfactory for me when the studios actually leverage the full potential of the format. The only reason for me to go UHD would be to achieve full resolution 3D, but that's only in the display as the Oppo player is perfectly adequate in that respect.
tomrowe125 likes this.
post #27874 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
If you are into storing your Blurays on media for playback, to protect the original discs, then it may be possible in future to merge seamlessly branched titles into a single m2ts that maintains the integrity of Atmos data. Under these conditions it should be possible to bitstream Atmos data to an Atmos AVR without dropouts using an Oppo 9x, so it potentially has a future still under particular circumstances.
For me, merging seamlessly branched titles into a single m2ts still presents audio dropouts for those complexed ATMOS tracks to my non-ATMOS AVR

jidelite
post #27875 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
For me, merging seamlessly branched titles into a single m2ts still presents audio dropouts for those complexed ATMOS tracks to my non-ATMOS AVR
Are you sure your merging software is properly handling the Atmos data?

It took a long time for eac3to to be able to merge TrueHD and DTS-HD MA properly because the branched m2ts files have audio overlaps that need to be removed. I can only imagine that Atmos data may have a similar issue and I'm not sure if proper merging has been achieved yet. I understand eac3to is now recognising Atmos data but not sure if it is processing the soundtracks correctly. Perhaps you could experiment and let us know whether it now successfully deals with Atmos tracks as you already have a baseline from the software you are currently using.
post #27876 of 27898 Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Some USB thumb drives are notoriously slow, too slow for HD video with HD audio. Try a faster USB drive.
Thanks,

I tried a new thumb drive (SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 32GB USB 3.0) and it works great.
post #27877 of 27898 Old 01-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

However, after all this discussion, I have lost what your original concern was.

Frankly I am at the point of diminishing returns with audio and will simply not benefit from better than TrueHD or DTS-HD MA so will not be upgrading beyond this point. I am even questioning the benefits of UHD as Bluray is entirely satisfactory for me when the studios actually leverage the full potential of the format. The only reason for me to go UHD would be to achieve full resolution 3D, but that's only in the display as the Oppo player is perfectly adequate in that respect.
I did not have an original concern, wl1 had a problem with dropouts on the John Wick BD as he posted earlier. I merely pointed out that I did not have any dropouts with that particular disc and suggested maybe the problem was something else. Most of the discussion was posted by yourself.

I do however agree with the last part of your post in bold above. And yes on a 4K TV with active glasses 3D is excellent, passive tends to dim the picture a bit in my experience. Just a shame we still have to have the pesky glasses
post #27878 of 27898 Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
^ The UHD Blu-ray spec does not include 3D. That is, 4K shiny discs will be 2D only. If you want to watch 3D, you will need to play a traditional Blu-ray disc with 3D content.

Note also that the ability to play 3D from traditional Blu-ray discs is an *OPTIONAL* feature in new, UHD Blu-ray players according to the specs. Some will include it, some won't. But if they do include it, it will, again, only allow 3D playback from traditional, Blu-ray 3D discs. The new UHD Blu-ray format discs will only contain 2D content.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27879 of 27898 Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 278
^ Until they change the specs somewhere down the line rendering all existing UHD BD players crippled... then, time to UPgrade.
gsr likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #27880 of 27898 Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Until they change the specs somewhere down the line rendering all existing UHD BD players crippled... then, time to UPgrade.
FYI, I was torn on whether to like this or dislike this, but AVS only has a like button available.

Oh, and you don't really think they would change the specs, do you?
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #27881 of 27898 Old 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just bought a used Oppo BDP-93 off Ebay. It did not come with the Oppo USB2.0 WiFi dongle. The user manual says:

The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-93 package has been pre-configured to work with BDP-93 player. It is compatible with 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz wireless networkds.

Has anyone used an aftermarket WiFi dongle?
If so, what brand model number?
Is it plug and play or is there something else that needs to be done for it to have a working handshake.

I've done a search for an original BDP-93 WiFi adaptor/dongle for sale and come up empty.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL Audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, Tivo
post #27882 of 27898 Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Contact OPPO. They may be able to get you one.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #27883 of 27898 Old 01-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
I just bought a used Oppo BDP-93 off Ebay. It did not come with the Oppo USB2.0 WiFi dongle. The user manual says:

The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-93 package has been pre-configured to work with BDP-93 player. It is compatible with 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz wireless networkds.

Has anyone used an aftermarket WiFi dongle?
If so, what brand model number?
Is it plug and play or is there something else that needs to be done for it to have a working handshake.

I've done a search for an original BDP-93 WiFi adaptor/dongle for sale and come up empty.
I have never used the dongle. (It is just gathering dust)
Instead, I am using a bridge. In my network, I am using MAC filtering and not broadcasting my SSID.
The bridge takes the WIFI signal and converts it to a wired connection serving my AV equipment.
If I remember correctly the dongle only supports WPA (And not WPA2) I am also using a AC3200
Tri-Band router as my connection source. (It was not convenient to run Ethernet cable, but this is
the next best thing)

--Carl
post #27884 of 27898 Old 01-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
YouTube app no longer works on the BDP-93

Until recently, I was able to use the YouTube app on my Oppo 93. I found this posting on the YouTube Help Forum claiming that Oppo needs to issue a new firmware update to fix it:

Quote:
In April 2015 Google shut down the old youtube API which is what the BDP-93 youtube player used. So the only way to fix it is for Oppo to do a firmware update with a new youtube player that works with the new API. I doubt they are going to do that. So yes google made a change, but the fix will have to come from Oppo.
Is Oppo aware of the issue, and is the above description correct? Can the BDP-93 be updated to work with the new YouTube API?

Thanks.
post #27885 of 27898 Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Until recently, I was able to use the YouTube app on my Oppo 93. I found this posting on the YouTube Help Forum claiming that Oppo needs to issue a new firmware update to fix it:

Is Oppo aware of the issue, and is the above description correct? Can the BDP-93 be updated to work with the new YouTube API?

Thanks.

This is the last message I received from OPPO Support:

"Unfortunately there is nothing else that we can recommend other than to try the service at another time. We have seen a throttling down of YouTube now that Google is moving on to HTML 5 and are slowly discontinuing service to devices that use the discrete application."
Jacob305 likes this.

JMP
post #27886 of 27898 Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

I'd be surprised if the hardware in the 93 can support the new YouTube protocol. The performance of the existing YouTube app on the 9x players was already pretty awful. It was always the worst of the apps.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27887 of 27898 Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Recently watched the Australian version of the remastered Total Recall (Arnie) Bluray. The movie was fine, but when I selected one of the extras, the screen went into a sort of extreme low-res mode like 160x90. What was more disturbing is that I tried to change resolution with the remote to Source Direct and discovered the Oppo menu was also in this bizarre low res mode. Nothing I could do apart from turning the Oppo off and then on again would reset the display to 1080p.

This wasn't consistently repeatable as I was able to watch the extra at its correct resolution after a few goes, however it did appear to be natively SD resolution. I'm guessing it is a strange SD resolution that is confusing the player.

Has anyone experienced this type of effect? I think I have the 2nd to latest firmware on this particular 93 unit.
post #27888 of 27898 Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendergastjm View Post
This is the last message I received from OPPO Support:

"Unfortunately there is nothing else that we can recommend other than to try the service at another time. We have seen a throttling down of YouTube now that Google is moving on to HTML 5 and are slowly discontinuing service to devices that use the discrete application."
I have the latest firmware update and it worked fine on my oppo 93. I even played some 3d trailers on it.

Jacob
post #27889 of 27898 Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Recently watched the Australian version of the remastered Total Recall (Arnie) Bluray. The movie was fine, but when I selected one of the extras, the screen went into a sort of extreme low-res mode like 160x90. What was more disturbing is that I tried to change resolution with the remote to Source Direct and discovered the Oppo menu was also in this bizarre low res mode. Nothing I could do apart from turning the Oppo off and then on again would reset the display to 1080p.

This wasn't consistently repeatable as I was able to watch the extra at its correct resolution after a few goes, however it did appear to be natively SD resolution. I'm guessing it is a strange SD resolution that is confusing the player.

Has anyone experienced this type of effect? I think I have the 2nd to latest firmware on this particular 93 unit.

I have seen a very "pixelated" Oppo splash screen a few time on startup. Always have to power cycle. I stopped worrying after a while, mildly annoying, but not turned into a serious problem. I think this has occurred either side of a firmware change - running latest version now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27890 of 27898 Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I have seen a very "pixelated" Oppo splash screen a few time on startup. Always have to power cycle. I stopped worrying after a while, mildly annoying, but not turned into a serious problem. I think this has occurred either side of a firmware change - running latest version now.
Whilst this isn't the first time I have experienced this issue, it is so rare that it is not particularly problematic: I was just interested if it was a known issue with a workaround or fix.

It's just so bizarre that it affects the Oppo menu and not just the video in question.
post #27891 of 27898 Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
My BDP -93 has stopped playing blu-rays. I 'm getting the unknown disc message. Cd's and dvds play with no problems.

I tried unplugging and letting it reset. I also tried this _ " Remove the chassis lid. Remove the protective top plate on the optical drive. Both laser lenses will be visible. Gently swab each with a Q-tip barely moistened with alcohol."

Why would it stop playing just blu-rays ?
post #27892 of 27898 Old 01-31-2016, 12:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sounds like the blue laser has failed, which would mean the player needs hardware service. (The other disc types use the red laser.)

You could try re-installing the firmware. That's not likely to help, but it's the only other thing you can try yourself.
--Bob
post #27893 of 27898 Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for the help Bob, I'll contact OPPO Monday.
post #27894 of 27898 Old 02-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post
I have the latest firmware update and it worked fine on my oppo 93. I even played some 3d trailers on it.

Jacob
Tried the YouTube app last night and nada. Oppo blames YouTube, YouTube blames Oppo and we get screwed.
post #27895 of 27898 Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFagen View Post
Tried the YouTube app last night and nada. Oppo blames YouTube, YouTube blames Oppo and we get screwed.
Sometimes it's necessary to try more than once.

I've actually started using my Amazon Fire TV box for YouTube, but the last time I tried through my 93 a few months ago it worked fine - after not working the time before that.

post #27896 of 27898 Unread Yesterday, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I might have a lead on an untouched BPD-93. Is it still possible to find firmware 60-1125B anywhere?

Edit: This looks promising but doesn't have the additional DVD460.bin file like the newest firmware release does. Is that a problem?

Edit 2: Just found the official 1125B firmware on Oppo's http download site. FWIW the file from the link above and the one from oppo have matching MD5.

Last edited by dubwoofer; Yesterday at 09:06 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
post #27897 of 27898 Unread Today, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwoofer View Post
Edit 2: Just found the official 1125B firmware on Oppo's http download site. FWIW the file from the link above and the one from oppo have matching MD5.
Thanks for the heads-up and tip.

Since Oppo seem to be creating errors in the links to older firmware, I have now downloaded all versions for posterity/security (same with firmware for the 83) from the http download site (eg http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP9...x-71-0723B.zip ).

Any particular reason for wanting BDP9x-60-1125B, since BDP9x-61-1219 is supposed to be the last ISO capable firmware?
post #27898 of 27898 Unread Today, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The last ISO capable firmware introduced some issues with subtitles and something else that I don't really remember.
Ironically, the Beta FW,60-1125B is more stable than the last official ISO FW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player