Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 934 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 167Likes

post #27991 of 28011 Old 06-12-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post
Hi all. Is there a difference in sound quality for my SACD's if I use hdmi vs analog that connects to my SR7010?
No. Although millions of people who conduct sighted, non-level matched comparisons who therefor enter the listening test with a preconceived bias, whether conscious or subconscious, that the analog outs are "audibly different, usually better" will claim otherwise. Ask them for evidence based science under double blind conditions to back their claims and they have none.

On nearly all AVRs the room correction software (Audyssey on yours) which nearly everyone agrees has some audible consequences (although if it is good or bad is debatable) only works for incoming digital sources and never on multi-channel analog ins. Years ago there were a few exceptions but your Marantz isn't one of them.
nuzzy and mhobart like this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27992 of 28011 Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ready to watch my first Atmos encoded disc. I remember people complaining about compatibility with our player.
Will I have a problem with Cloverfield Lane?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #27993 of 28011 Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Ready to watch my first Atmos encoded disc. I remember people complaining about compatibility with our player.
Will I have a problem with Cloverfield Lane?
There's never been any issue with bitstreaming DTHD tracks, Atmos or not. The issues are with complex seamless branching combined with DTHD. So if there's no complex branching you shouldn't have any dropouts.
post #27994 of 28011 Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's never been any issue with bitstreaming DTHD tracks, Atmos or not. The issues are with complex seamless branching combined with DTHD. So if there's no complex branching you shouldn't have any dropouts.
Thanks for the reply. How do I know when complex seamless branching is involved?
(The disc played fine with fantastic 7.1 sound)
post #27995 of 28011 Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^ There's no easy way for you to find out. Complex seamless branching is SUPPOSED to be a transparent way of authoring the disc -- used these days mostly as a way to make it harder for people to copy the disc by building in a ton of false playlists. So basically it's a matter of reading whether other people are reporting drop outs when Bitstream audio output is used, but NO drop outs when LPCM audio output is used, since the issue only arises with Bitstream output of Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

The only reason Atmos got mistakenly associated with all this is that to hear an Atmos track *AS* Atmos you have to use Bitstream output -- since the Atmos decoding must done in your Atmosified AVR. An Atmos track is a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track with extra stuff layered on. If you use LPCM output from the player you get the underlying Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track (decoded in the player) but without the extra, Atmos sprinkles.

Folks who analyze disc authoring -- often to try to figure out a way of copying it -- can of course see whether complex seamless branching has been used or not.
--Bob
bigdogaxis likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #27996 of 28011 Old 07-03-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VUDU app crashing.

I've had my player for years, but I never tried to use VUDU on it until recently. I'm able to use my VUDU account fine on my PlayStation so no issues with that. The first time I tried to log in on the OPPO it said my login credentials were wrong. Now I can't even get to the login screen. The app crashes before I get there. I tried the "Delete Account" option in the menus to no avail. Then I tried a reset of the OPPO to original factory settings. Didn't help. I tried contacting OPPO support on the web and got no response. Netflix works on it so it's definitely not a networking issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. (I don't have time to read through 934 pages in this thread. I don't know if this is a common problem that has already been discussed here.)
post #27997 of 28011 Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post
I've had my player for years, but I never tried to use VUDU on it until recently. I'm able to use my VUDU account fine on my PlayStation so no issues with that. The first time I tried to log in on the OPPO it said my login credentials were wrong. Now I can't even get to the login screen. The app crashes before I get there. I tried the "Delete Account" option in the menus to no avail. Then I tried a reset of the OPPO to original factory settings. Didn't help. I tried contacting OPPO support on the web and got no response. Netflix works on it so it's definitely not a networking issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. (I don't have time to read through 934 pages in this thread. I don't know if this is a common problem that has already been discussed here.)
All this and the 4th of July weekend to deal with too. You should get to OPPO on Tuesday.

The OPPO app is pretty long in the tooth unless there have been updates for it.

There have been reports of HDR problems at Vudu the last couple of days, but that shouldn't be what you're running into.
post #27998 of 28011 Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I use VUDU through my OPPO with no issues, and have for a few years, once I started seeing the UltraViolet movie publisher registration slips inside Blu-rays. Don't know what to advise you, other than that it's not a universal problem.

Are you using a proxy server or other device that might be caching your login credentials?

Last edited by Philnick; 07-03-2016 at 04:47 PM.
post #27999 of 28011 Old 07-03-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Same here, no issues with VUDU app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source (F), Matinee (C), MotionFX (S), Motion4 (.4), (2) Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #28000 of 28011 Old 07-03-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I use VUDU through my OPPO with no issues, and have for a few years, once I started seeing the UltraViolet movie publisher registration slips inside Blu-rays. Don't know what to advise you, other than that it's not a universal problem.

Are you using a proxy server or other device that might be caching your login credentials?
No. Nothing out of the ordinary here network-wise.

Thanks for the responses.

It was a couple of weeks ago when I tried OPPO support. Maybe I'll try again after the holiday. Or maybe I'll try my contacts at my local high end HT store (ListenUp Denver) even though I bought the OPPO online. I've spent a ton at ListenUp over the years. I have a feeling I won't get anywhere with OPPO or VUDU tech support.

As I said, VUDU works fine on my PS3 and PS4, but neither of those are in the main home theater room anymore. The only streaming devices are the OPPO and Apple TV, which VUDU has chosen not to support (though that may change with Apple's recent announcement that they are going to a 15/85 split instead of 30/70). I'd hate to have to lug the PS4 back into the room every time I want to watch VUDU. I suppose I could consider a Roku if I can't get the OPPO to work.

Last edited by kdjohn3; 07-03-2016 at 07:07 PM.
post #28001 of 28011 Old 07-04-2016, 05:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
This is not a common problem. Your player may need service. If a full Reset doesn't fix it, the only other thing you can try yourself is a re-install of the firmware. (Download the firmware for install via USB stick from the OPPO Support page, and then go into Setup and select Upgrade Firmware > From USB.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #28002 of 28011 Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I had this problem months ago. it's very rare. you don't need to contact oppo. What you need to do is contact the customer service for Vudu. they will walk you through it. they have to reset it for you. here is the phone number: 1 (888) 554-8838

Jacob
post #28003 of 28011 Old 07-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I've had no problem with my Vudu account on either of my players. I also have had excellent customer support from Oppo, even getting replies when emailing them on weekends. Did you use the contact address on their web site?

Oops, thought I was replying to the original problem report. Sorry:-(

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #28004 of 28011 Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NETFLIX CLOSED CAPTIONING ON OPPO 93/

I have the OPPO BDP-93 with the latest firmware (BDP9x-82-1009) paired via HDMI 1 with a Denon 4311-CI.

I have no problems with 5.1 audio from the Oppo through the Denon either for Blu-Ray disks or Netflix. Closed Captioning and Subtitles work fine with disks, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on Closed Captioning in Netflix. Show is Wentworth, and through the smaller LG tv, which has it's own Netflix interface, I can turn on Closed Captioning easily - so I know the show has it. Can't find a place to see "Audio Options" in the Oppo Netflix interface, though. The Subtitles, Audio, and SAP buttons don't do anything when I'm watching Netflix. They work find for disks.
Others must have run across this, but a search of this thread didn't find it.

Logically, the TV gets Netflix over the wireless network, as does the Oppo, so if it's not available, does this mean Oppo has just given up on updates for Netflix (or saved them for newer models?)

I'm sure someone here knows the answer. Thanks for your help. /David

David
post #28005 of 28011 Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ OPPO doesn't make the Netflix app in the 93. It is provided by Netflix, and yes, Netflix are no longer making updates of it available for the 9x players. This means, for example, that Netflix on the 93 is limited in what it can stream for resolution and for audio, and yes, for subtitles or closed captions.
--Bob

post #28006 of 28011 Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 108
^^^^
Roku is your friend.
htwaits and lflorack like this.
post #28007 of 28011 Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 PM

Liked: 14
It's nice to see/know that folks are still using this player.
post #28008 of 28011 Old 07-24-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mine is still going strong.
post #28009 of 28011 Old 07-25-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Mine too.

I'd upgrade to a 103 (don't need a 103D because I've got an outboard Darbee on the link between my AVR and projector) and give my 93 to my girlfriend, who I just got a 50" flatscreen, if Oppo hadn't disabled output of its own menus to the composite video jack on the 103/105 and later. I use that capability of the 93 to browse my DLNA server to play multichannel music (for some unknown reason, Yamaha and other AVR manufacturers only stream stereo over DLNA) (1) without putting wear on my projector, and (2) because there's no HDMI-handshake silencing of the audio when I turn off my composite monitor (a unit designed for backseat passengers in a car) to listen in the dark.

I know the movie industry doesn't want Blu-rays (or probably even DVDs) being sent composite, but Oppo's own control menus? That limitation's totally unnecessary.

post #28010 of 28011 Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Liked: 14
I read online that the BD-93 may not play well with Atmos and DTS;x because of some seamless branching issues. Is this true?

Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon 3805 l Behringer A500s (Fronts/Center channels) l Behringer FBQ3102 l Polk RTi10s l Polk CSI-5 l Polk FXi-30s (side and rear) l Polk PSW505 l Denon DCM-280 l Oppo BD-93 l Denon Turntable/Cassette Deck
post #28011 of 28011 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I read online that the BD-93 may not play well with Atmos and DTS;x because of some seamless branching issues. Is this true?
Go back a page or two to June 15th or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page