Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 941 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 198Likes

post #28201 of 28223 Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtekmk2 View Post
Hey guys - weird thing. My Oppo BDP-93 stopped reading ISO files from external hard drive. The firmware is still BDP9x-61-1219. I never connected the player to the net in order to keep this firmware (last one to read ISO over USB). It used to play all my ISOs fine; now it freezes when ISO files are selected (mostly), or gives message Unsupported File Format (twice). I thought about doing a Factory Reset, but this option is greyed out on my player (I don't know why; but maybe because I bought it already modded for all regions). Anyway, not a huge loss because I only have a handful of ISOs, but some of them I love dearly...

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks
You won't be able to do a Reset while a media file is paused or while a disc is loaded in the tray. That's likely what's giving you the grayed out line in Setup.

As for your specific problem with ISO files, first try playing some simple music files -- such as a CD rip to a WAV file -- to make sure your hard drive is working correctly.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28202 of 28223 Old 04-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Could it be the drive? Do you have another one?

-Bill

Bill: I tried another drive (also USB) and the file-opening process got a bit farther along before freezing. Tried a thumb drive - same thing. I just got a third drive which I will connect via e-SATA and will report back. Weird, to say the least.
post #28203 of 28223 Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You won't be able to do a Reset while a media file is paused or while a disc is loaded in the tray. That's likely what's giving you the grayed out line in Setup.

As for your specific problem with ISO files, first try playing some simple music files -- such as a CD rip to a WAV file -- to make sure your hard drive is working correctly.
--Bob

Bob, thanks for replying. All the other files (flac, wav, ape, etc) have been playing fine. It looks like Bill and you think the drive may be the culprit. It very well may be; it is older now and much fuller than before (1.8 TB full out of 2 TB capacity). And these ISOs are 3-5 gigs. As I replied to Bill, I will try another drive via eSATA. Should I try Factory Reset the Oppo if I can un-grey it?

post #28204 of 28223 Old 04-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Bob, thanks for replying. All the other files (flac, wav, ape, etc) have been playing fine. It looks like Bill and you think the drive may be the culprit. It very well may be; it is older now and much fuller than before (1.8 TB full out of 2 TB capacity). And these ISOs are 3-5 gigs. As I replied to Bill, I will try another drive via eSATA. Should I try Factory Reset the Oppo if I can un-grey it?
I'd suggest trying one thing at a time. First try a different drive.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #28205 of 28223 Old 04-10-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 288
My 93 first glitch in several years: HDMI1 is not outputting any audio, bitstream or LPCM. Changed cables and input on my Pioneer SC97 receiver to no avail. Also checked HDMI1 VIDEO ONLY and it's set to NO. Any way to reset the player without losing settings ? Any other suggestion ? Thank you very much.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #28206 of 28223 Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Check that you haven't accidentally hit the Mute button or lowered Volume to 0.
--Bob

post #28207 of 28223 Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ Check that you haven't accidentally hit the Mute button or lowered Volume to 0.
--Bob
Thanks. I haven't. It's like the "HDMI1 VIDEO ONLY" has been set to "YES" but it has not. Simply moving the cable from HDMI1 to HDMI2 on the player restores the audio. I only use one HDMI port, so no big deal but I found it very strange. Video is perfect from both HDMI OUT but audio only fires from HDMI2 now. I also replaced an old HDMI cable with a certified high speed one, just in case.

post #28208 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Thanks. I haven't. It's like the "HDMI1 VIDEO ONLY" has been set to "YES" but it has not. Simply moving the cable from HDMI1 to HDMI2 on the player restores the audio. I only use one HDMI port, so no big deal but I found it very strange. Video is perfect from both HDMI OUT but audio only fires from HDMI2 now. I also replaced an old HDMI cable with a certified high speed one, just in case.
Jot down your Settings, do a a Reset Factory Defaults in Setup > Device Setup, and see it the problem remains. If so, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support as your player likely needs service.

If not, re-enter your Settings and see if the problem returns.
--Bob

post #28209 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Didn't work. I don't want to send the player because it has the ISO software.Is there any loss of quality if I keep using HDMI2 ? Thank you anyway Bob.

post #28210 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Didn't work. I don't want to send the player because it has the ISO software.Is there any loss of quality if I keep using HDMI2 ? Thank you anyway Bob.
There's one other thing you can try if you still have the install file for that firmware. Re-install that firmware from USB stick -- using the menu item in Setup to start it. After the re-install, do ANOTHER Reset Factory Defaults.

Then power down, disconnect wall power, and while still unplugged, press and hold Power button in the Front Panel to discharge any residual power. Plug back in and test again.

If still no luck, disconnect EVERYTHING else from the player except wall power and HDMI 1 output. If THAT fixes it then you have a faulty device or cable that's interfering with the proper operation of the player.

--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 04-11-2017 at 10:02 AM.
post #28211 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Bob. I don't have the firmware saved. I will keep using HDMI2 only , I use the 93 only for my ISO blurays and the picture looks good anyway.

post #28212 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I don't want to send the player because it has the ISO software.
I believe you can ask them to not update the firmware if you send it in. I have no personal experience with this although I've read forums posts where people have sent in OPPO units with the ISO firmware and asked not to have it changed and the repair facility obliged. May want to ask them before sending it in, though.

-Shimon
post #28213 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
I believe you can ask them to not update the firmware if you send it in. I have no personal experience with this although I've read forums posts where people have sent in OPPO units with the ISO firmware and asked not to have it changed and the repair facility obliged. May want to ask them before sending it in, though.
Thank you again Bob, I will keep this in mind.

post #28214 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I don't have the firmware saved. I will keep using HDMI2 only , I use the 93 only for my ISO blurays and the picture looks good anyway.

I have the BDP9x-61-1219.zip file. PM me your email address and I can send it to you.
post #28215 of 28223 Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I have the BDP9x-61-1219.zip file. PM me your email address and I can send it to you.
Thanks , PM sent

post #28216 of 28223 Old 04-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My bdp 93 is years old and has provided consistent performance until recently. It freezes about every 45 seconds or so. Even with no media playing, I go into a menu and continuously move the cursor up and down and it does the same freezing and when it unfreezes, it rapidly catches up with the button pushes I made while it was frozen. Anyone have this issue and solved it? Do I need to reach out to Oppo for tech support? Thanks.
post #28217 of 28223 Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachurch View Post
My bdp 93 is years old and has provided consistent performance until recently. It freezes about every 45 seconds or so. Even with no media playing, I go into a menu and continuously move the cursor up and down and it does the same freezing and when it unfreezes, it rapidly catches up with the button pushes I made while it was frozen. Anyone have this issue and solved it? Do I need to reach out to Oppo for tech support? Thanks.
Disconnect the network and anything else besides HDMI and power. Does it still do this?
post #28218 of 28223 Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Disconnect the network and anything else besides HDMI and power. Does it still do this?
I unplugged the Ethernet cable that I forgot I'd plugged in after moving things around. That did the trick! Thanks!!
post #28219 of 28223 Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Planning to buy Auralic Aries Mini to stream Tidal. Wanted to know if I can plug it into my Oppo-93 and if yes then what's the best way to do it.
post #28220 of 28223 Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I'd suggest trying one thing at a time. First try a different drive.
--Bob
Hi Bob:

I tried two different drives - one connected via USB and one via eSATA. I purchased an eSATA port-equipped 1 TB drive and used it to test. ISOs that played before now don't play at all, the player hangs the moment I select an ISO file, both via USB and eSATA.

I reset the player, same thing.

I am close to giving up, unless someone has more suggestions. Luckily I only have a few ISOs.
post #28221 of 28223 Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
ISOs that played before now don't play at all, the player hangs the moment I select an ISO file, both via USB and eSATA.
Have you checked the drive for readability on a PC, including confirming you can actually play the ISO files on a different device to make sure the file contents haven't been corrupted?

If this checks out okay, try writing an ISO to a drive as folder/file structure instead of ISO and see if that plays. ISO is not really required as the Oppo 93 will happily play folder/file structure (even 3D).

For 3D, folder/file structure will be twice as large as the ISO, however you can delete the 2D files (usually a large 30GB+ file and a 15GB+ file) and 3D will still play just fine (not sure about 2D though). However, don't delete the other 2D files as I think the player still uses some of those for initial navigation. You will end up with a structure that is a little larger than an ISO but smaller than 2x ISO.

If folder/file structure plays okay, consider updating the firmware to close to the latest firmware, as there have been improvements to mkv playback and other things, and converting all ISOs to folder/file structure.

Are your ISOs Fox titles by any chance? Some have found their Fox Blurays will no longer play. I haven't had any experience with this thankfully, but you could try converting a Fox title to AnyDVD SpeedMenu version to see if that helps, or create a movie-only Bluray structure. Worst case is you may need to convert unplayable titles to mkv files for movie and extras (makemkv is still very good for that), however the Oppo 93 won't play Bluray subtitles in an mkv IIRC.

Last edited by IanD; Yesterday at 04:27 AM.
post #28222 of 28223 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Will 3rd party wireless USB adapters work with the BDP-93?

Just checked the Wiki - answer is no. But the Wiki said it's just a Atheros AR9271, which sells for < $10.
post #28223 of 28223 Old Today, 01:21 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Will 3rd party wireless USB adapters work with the BDP-93?
No. The Oppo won't know how to configure a 3rd party adapter and won't have the proper drivers for it.

If you want a wireless option other than what is included with the player, my advice would be to get a wireless network bridge. This would create a connection to your wireless router or access point and then connect to the Ethernet port on the Oppo with a cable; the Oppo would be configured as though it has a wired connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page