Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 943 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 604Likes

post #28261 of 28270 Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffdad View Post
One other issue that I discovered while trying to troubleshoot the player not loading fox titles before sending it to Oppo. Any change I make to the setup parameters will not save following the save procedure in the manual. I enter setup, make the change (such as turning off BD Live), exit setup, power the unit down till it enters standby. On re-power and entering setup, no changes made are saved.

Again, this is any parameter change. Am I doing something wrong in the save process?
Your player has a hardware failure. You will need to send it in for service. At this point I wouldn't spend any more time trying to troubleshoot this yourself. Just send it in with the info you have discovered so far and OPPO will get you going again.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28262 of 28270 Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Your player has a hardware failure. You will need to send it in for service. At this point I wouldn't spend any more time trying to troubleshoot this yourself. Just send it in with the info you have discovered so far and OPPO will get you going again.
--Bob
My BDP-93 is on the way home from Oppo. This was the findings:
Diagnostics – Confirmed reported problems. Diagnostics revealed system memory storage had error blocks. This caused the problems.
Problem Resolution - Formatted the memory storage to isolate the error blocks and re-installed firmware to revision BDP9x-82-1009.
Passed standard post-repair diagnostics.
post #28263 of 28270 Old 07-15-2017, 01:24 PM

My BDP-93 returned from Oppo today. The problems seem resolved. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
gsr, wmcclain and Modicen like this.

post #28264 of 28270 Old 07-23-2017, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi all,

I just bought a 93 off eBay Friday night and it will be delivered sometime this week. I'm reading through documentation posted on the first page of this thread now, but I was wondering if there were a few basic things I should/need to do that could get me going right when I get it? Also, if there are any sort of "gotchas" that I should watch out for?

Since I'm getting it used, I'm guessing I should reset everything?

For reference, this will be plugged into one of my F8500s and used primarily as a BR player. I will also test out the internal Netflix app to compare to the internal app of my TVs/Xbox just to see (as I have heard that the performance of *insert streaming app here* is different from device to device, depending on their implementation).

Thanks!

Samsung 64F8500| Samsung 51F8500| Samsung 51F8500
OPPO 93| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One| WiiU
post #28265 of 28270 Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
Hi all,

I just bought a 93 off eBay Friday night and it will be delivered sometime this week. I'm reading through documentation posted on the first page of this thread now, but I was wondering if there were a few basic things I should/need to do that could get me going right when I get it? Also, if there are any sort of "gotchas" that I should watch out for?

For reference, this will be plugged into one of my F8500s and used primarily as a BR player. I will also test out the internal Netflix app to compare to the internal app of my TVs/Xbox just to see (as I have heard that the performance of *insert streaming app here* is different from device to device, depending on their implementation).

Thanks!
Yes, definitely do a Reset Factory Defaults to start fresh.

The FAQ linked in my signature has recommended settings and other info.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #28266 of 28270 Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
I purchased mine when they were new to the market. It is an impressive Blu Ray player, and also does a great job with SACD and DVD Audio discs among other formats. I find that using the player's Netflix App isn't as responsive as the Amazon Fire TV or Apple TV, so it goes unused.

A few months ago mine would not load/play Blu Ray from Fox Studios. After many recommendations from this site, I sent it to Oppo. It was a memory problem that was fixed quickly for a reasonable price of $79.00. And yes, I would do a reset so that you can set the unit up to your own needs. It's an easy process and even has an option for easy setup. Just follow the procedures to save the setup after you've made changes. That is, exit setup, power off, wait till unit goes to standby, power on and verify changes are saved. Good luck!
sickkent likes this.
post #28267 of 28270 Old 07-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
...I will also test out the internal Netflix app to compare to the internal app of my TVs/Xbox just to see (as I have heard that the performance of *insert streaming app here* is different from device to device, depending on their implementation).

Thanks!
You will be (or maybe) disappointed with the Netflix app as it's not been updated in who knows how long. The picture quality isn't there and all I got was 2ch audio - no 5.1 audio. Perhaps it was a setting or something, but I gave up and purchase a separate streaming device.

Other than that, it's a great piece of machinery. I've held off on the newer units because of too many things going on over there for my liking.
sickkent likes this.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo BD-93 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.

"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs build the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 07-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.
post #28268 of 28270 Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
You will be (or maybe) disappointed with the Netflix app as it's not been updated in who knows how long. The picture quality isn't there and all I got was 2ch audio - no 5.1 audio. Perhaps it was a setting or something, but I gave up and purchase a separate streaming device.

Other than that, it's a great piece of machinery. I've held off on the newer units because of too many things going on over there for my liking.
Thanks for the head's up about Netflix. I mainly use Xbox for streaming, with the plan to purchase some dedicated streaming devices for my other TVs that aren't on the Xbox. This was mainly to play BRs.

I was also planning on trying to buy a 103 for another TV. Would you mind elaborating on what you don't like about the models post-93? Maybe I'll just get another 93 instead, depending on what the issues are.

Samsung 64F8500| Samsung 51F8500| Samsung 51F8500
OPPO 93| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One| WiiU
post #28269 of 28270 Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Thanks for the head's up about Netflix. I mainly use Xbox for streaming, with the plan to purchase some dedicated streaming devices for my other TVs that aren't on the Xbox. This was mainly to play BRs.

I was also planning on trying to buy a 103 for another TV. Would you mind elaborating on what you don't like about the models post-93? Maybe I'll just get another 93 instead, depending on what the issues are.
I was subscribed to the 103 thread and there were quite a few bugs in that unit that I was not willing to deal with. It seems they may have work them out or most of them (haven't been in thread in awhile). I stopped following the thread and will revisit it later this year when I decide which 4k TV to get. I focused my monies on other upgrades to my system instead. I actually canceled my preorder once I found out they no longer had streaming capabilities. It actually was a good thing because it made me buy a couple different streaming devices (Nvidia Shield and Amazon firestick), which are good enough for me. I don't have a smart TV on my main setup, which is where the Nvidia resides, plus I can take that Amazon firestick anywhere, which is good when I travel.

Check out the 103 thread.

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
sickkent likes this.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo BD-93 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.

"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs build the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 07-25-2017 at 02:08 AM.
post #28270 of 28270 Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Oppo obsolete BDP question

Hi all,

Seems that used BDP-83/93s are cheap enough now that I'm thinking of passing on all my thrift store DVD and Blu-Ray players (I've been picking them up whenever I see a high end one; I've been choosy and only get ones that play SACD/DVD-A and have analog outputs; even so, I have ended up with quite a collection) and using the money to buy one Oppo, as it is a truly universal player. I'm primarily interested in SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD capability as I'm really an audio guy. It may not even be hooked up to a monitor.

My question is this; I am using an old Sansui QRX-7001 quadraphonic receiver in the bedroom but it's also lashed up to watch TV through a BDP-103. I successfully set it up so that the cable box plays through the rear HDMI input (I'm getting an active, remote controllable HDMI switcher so I can add a Roku and two more devices if I want) and the audio downmixes from 5.1/7.1 to 4.0, so I have a system where you can watch TV in surround and also play quadraphonic tapes or LPs. Looking at the manuals, it appears that the capabilities of the BDP-83 and BDP-93 are similar; what I'm really giving up is the inability to input auxiliary HDMI sources. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is I also have another quadraphonic unit (Marantz 4270) and it'd be cool to be able to downmix multi-channel SACDs and play them back through it. I can't say that I necessarily ever WILL use this capability, but if it exists, that would make a good argument for getting the Oppo as opposed to any other media player.

Again, I am primarily audio oriented; I do have a HT system in the living room and the Sansui based "quad/HT" system in the bedroom, but every other system I anticipate being audio oriented only.

Also: I have an old Samsung BDP on the shelf in the closet because it has component video outputs. Will the 83 output 1080i over component? How about the 93? That is the only reason I'm keeping the Samsung; I ended up having to replace the transport in it with another one from a lower end player also from the thrift store, and I've never been able to get it to connect to my home network so I don't really have a lot of love for it and would love an excuse to ditch it. I don't *need* this capability but I would like to keep at least one player around that has it just in case I need to lash up an old projector or something.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by n8nagel; 08-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page