Sony BDP-S270 Owner's thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony S270 on the way. Of course it is WIFI ready, but does not have it built in.

Does anybody know if there are any other compatible WIFI adapters other then the 70.00 Sony UWA-BR100? I may return this as it was originally sold to me as having WIFI built in. But on further review, its obvious it doesn't.

If it requires a 70.00 adapter then it isn't worth it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Ive been looking everywhere and aren't able to find any specific info...
post #3 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroc2093 View Post

Ive been looking everywhere and aren't able to find any specific info...

If you're playing a 7.1 disc you should get 7.1 audio. That also depends if you have a 7.1 receiver as well. Even if you're playing a 5.1 disc you should be able to apply prologic IIx processing that would simulate 7.1 audio. Check your receivers manual on how to apply that processing.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

yea my receiver reads 7.1 lpcm, i was just trying to make sure that the blu ray player could send out the 7.1 lpcm signal
post #5 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Does the s270 decode TrueHD and dts-MA? If not, the only 7.1 PCM outputs you'll get are from discs with 7.1 PCM tracks and there aren't many of those. Most 7.1 discs have either dts-MA or TrueHD encoding.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM

yea it decodes dts ma and dolby tru hd, do you think its safe to assume it can output the dts-ma and true hd signals through hdmi via lpcm? Im thinking so....
post #7 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

yea it decodes dts ma and dolby tru hd, do you think its safe to assume it can output the dts-ma and true hd signals through hdmi via lpcm? Im thinking so....

I'm thinking so too.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Decoding turns the audio back into PCM. So, yes, if it can decode those formats, it should output the resulting PCM over HDMI. Do you own this player? If so, why not just give it a try with a 7.1 disc?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM

yea i just bought it on sale for $94 bucks at local walmart, I had recently returned my lg bd-550 cause of skipping issues while playing blu rays. I gonna go ahead and try it and post the results in a minute.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

yes it does!
post #11 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM

To put the long story short, my grandfather received one of those cheap-o Sony Blu-Ray players from Walmart that came wifi ready but of course needed the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter. He wants to use Netflix but the signal strength over the wireless connection hovers around 40-50% and after about 5-10 minutes of buffering, the Netflix stream stops loading the movie and ends up stopping. Only way to get the movie to buff another 5-10 minutes is to close Netflix and re-open it.

His internet connection coming in is about avg. in the area (roughly 10-11mbps download) so it's more than capable of handling streaming. His wireless download speed of where his bluray is located is about 8-9mbps.

I've been trying to think of a solution, and my guess is the UWA-BR100 adapter just flat out sucks (and we can't use any third party ones - it requires the Sony one).

One solution that comes to my mind is running two modems. One modem in his bedroom (which is where he has his internet setup) and then one modem on his TV stand to run directly into the bluray player. I know I can't run two modems at the same time, but is it possible to two modems in a house that don't run simultaneously.

The setup would be this - if he wants to use his internet in the bedroom, he'd have the bedroom modem on and the living room modem off; and then if he wanted to run his Bluray online he'd have the bedroom modem off and the living room modem on.

Is this even possible? He has Time Warner Cable internet.

Read original post:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My grandfather has the Sony BDP-S270 that was wifi-built in but required the UWA-BR100 wifi adapter. I bought that and set up a wireless connection. He primarily want to use this for Netflix streaming. I was able to set the internet up and was able to use features like YouTube and download firmware updates.

I originally set the wireless network up with an 8 year old D-Link 514 wireless router that was 801.11b. I was expecting to have issues with Netflix with this router. Via tests done on my MacBook, I managed to only get test speeds of 4.50mbps download and 950kbps upload when using a wireless connection to where the Bluray player is located. The router/modem are located in a bedroom that is behind a wall. On the computer itself (which is wired) I managed to get an average download of 10.05mbps and 950kbps upload. I tried out using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that is 801.11g to test the difference. As expected, the Linksys average a download speed of 8-9mbps on my Mac to where the Bluray player would be located, while on the wired PC it averaged 10.90mbps. As far as I know for a solid Netflix stream you want at least 5mbps, and the Linksys router consistently stays above 8mbps. The router is managing that. I even ran bandwidth tests during the stream and the tests came back nearly identical (8-9mbps avg) as it did without streaming.

While I plan to buy a new G or N router for the wireless set up, I feel the UWA-BR100 adapter is responsible for the streaming to continually stop. When loading up a movie (using the Linksys router), the stream will load for a good 5 minutes, then it would stop loading the movie and eventually the movie would go to a Loading screen. The only way of getting the movie to resume loading is to go back to the Netflix menu and hit resume movie playback in which it will go back, load for 5 minutes then stop loading.

My question is what can I do to improve the signal strength between the UWA-BR100 adapter and the wireless set up that is in a different room? I can't bring the network to this Bluray room because of the set up in the back room. Since the UWA-BR100 is the only possible wireless adapter for the BDP-S270, it is the only choice I have to make it a wireless setup. I do not wish to run an ethernet cord from the bedroom to the player as it would require a solid 40-50 feet, and would be more of an obstacle.

A new router will not fix this issue, and contacting Time Warner would not fix the issue either as the connection is strong (avg download speed in this area is 10-12mbps). The problem must be with the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter. I currently have it placed on the TV stand in front of the TV and have tried it behind the TV, both are relatively open areas and are on the top shelf of the stand.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. My grandparents already invested $100 in the player, I've invested $80 in the adapter, and will eventually be spending $40-50 on a router just to do wireless Netflix streaming. What turned from being a Xmas gift for my grandfather has turned into an expensive expedition. I want to note, I didn't buy the player - I would have bought one with wifi built and ready to go.

PSN: blazsox
XBL: blazsox
post #12 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 AM

I have recently purchased the Sony BDP-S270, and am happy with the playback of certain AVI files. The official manual doesn't list AVI as a supported video format, but as long as I rename the file extension to MP4, it plays fine.

However, not all AVI files are compatible. This disappoints me, and has led me to researching more information on compatible codecs for this Blu-Ray player. I have learned to use a tool called MediaInfo to get detailed information on the AVI files that work and that do not work.

Can someone with more knowledge and experience explain why I'm experiencing a problem viewing some AVI files on my BDP-S270? The error message I get is "Corrupted or unsupported file."

Here is the information from MediaInfo on the AVI files:

AVI file that plays: MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (L5)
AVI file that doesn't play: MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (L5.1)

The Blu-Ray player is updated to the latest firmware Version M03.R.742 (2/10/2011). I appreciate any help to remedy this. If remuxing is a possible solution, please point me in the right direction. I have played with Avidemux and tsMuxer with no success.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by balestrom View Post

I have a Sony S270 on the way. Of course it is WIFI ready, but does not have it built in.

Does anybody know if there are any other compatible WIFI adapters other then the 70.00 Sony UWA-BR100? I may return this as it was originally sold to me as having WIFI built in. But on further review, its obvious it doesn't.

If it requires a 70.00 adapter then it isn't worth it.

Thanks

For 90 bucks to get 3 sources, I'd try this thing...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

have heard good things about it, and it should work!?
post #14 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt View Post

For 90 bucks to get 3 sources, I'd try this thing...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

have heard good things about it, and it should work!?

Won't you need to install a another [similar] ethernet-to-powerline bridge 'near your router' (making the total cost more like $180)...?

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #15 of 18 Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Anyone else having issues with Netflix streaming and keep buffering? I dont have this issue on two HTPCs.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I picked up 2 of these units oer the weekend at the Sony Outlet store in Camarillo for $49.99 each. One as a second player, the other for my dad. Works great so far.

Mark
post #17 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM

So this is connected to my lan via a hard connection. I also have a HTPC there as well. HTPC streams no problem. The Sony has to keep buffering.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM

I recently threw in a DVD copy of Pixar's "A Bug's Life" and I was dismayed to see that the colour rendering was inaccurate. Other upconverted discs seem to be fine. Is this a problem that anyone else has experienced?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S270 Dvd Blu Ray Player 1080p Usb Wireless
Gear in this thread - S270 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page