Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hi Trev. I am not familiar with that brand as much as Denon, but they are similar. The signal either undergoes ADC or not, it is all or nothing in regards to this. AFAIK with std analog inputs, the signal does get digitized and what they are saying in the OM is that certain sources of potential interference and extra processing pathways are eliminated. This can make a minor improvement but only if you are willing to forego what may be gained from further digital processing such as Audyssey. This is the basic tradeoff. The Ext In inputs do not digitize the signal but that means you get nothing but Vol control and channel levels, so you get cleaner yet but the same tradeoffs. But it really doesn't matter. You'll have to trust your ears on this one. One caution, when doing A/B comparisons be sure they are level-matched. If one is even 2 dB louder it will sound better. It is indeed a rabbit hole. Because those of us who didn't bother to or can't carefully position speakers or acoustically treat our rooms are benefiting so much from DSP like Audyssey and you must give up all that with a full analog path. I believe you have Audyssey, right? So do you use it? What does it sound like when you turn it off so you have NO EQ?

Bottom line: unless you are willing to invest $1-2K into a HT BP capable separate preamp and a 2 ch power amp, just get a 93 and hook it up HDMI. It will sound great. As Pete says in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Do not seek the treasure!"

You speak the truth, my friend, and I thank you once more. Admittedly, my room does benefit from Audyssey- without it I lose a lot of the high range and clear vocals. My room is not perfect and has little opportunity for improvement, so I do suppose that I might miss the EQ adjustment. I've tried to listen without it, but I keep coming back to turning it on. I will say the better the recording, the less noticeable the difference, but I think I'll just set my distant-future goals on a nice 2-channel setup and be happy with the 93.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinboy View Post

Does anyone know if Netflix will offer a better level of software to Oppo for the Oppo-95 to improve the incoming video higher than the current 720p (with compression) that it now limits when streaming for the Oppo-93? Depending on network speed, that 720p can even revert to 480i. At this price range, since I use Netflix for most of my viewing, that could make a difference in choosing a Blu-ray player. Do other players have this problem with Netflix?

Oppo has zero control over what Netflix feeds it. (nor does any other player)
Netflix determines the interface and video quality. The only thing the player does is load a small widget that calls the Netflix server and downloads the interface for that player. Everything that happens after you click the Netflix icon on the player's internet screen is 100% under NF control. In addition to that, Netflix imposes restrictions on what the player can and cannot do while it's running, right down to button presses on your remote. In a sense you could say that Netflix takes control of the player completely.
post #303 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

Does anyone know if Netflix will offer a better level of software to Oppo for the Oppo-95 to improve the incoming video higher than the current 720p (with compression) that it now limits when streaming for the Oppo-93? Depending on network speed, that 720p can even revert to 480i. At this price range, since I use Netflix for most of my viewing, that could make a difference in choosing a Blu-ray player. Do other players have this problem with Netflix?

This is just the level of service Netflix has offered to the standalone players. Everybody expects they will update that shortly, in which case whatever new Netflix code they provide will apply to BOTH the 93 and the 95. Right now, their newer service level is limited to the PS3 and GoogleTV I believe -- undoubtedly a short term marketing deal.

The fact that an HD stream might revert to SD if your network is slow (or if they are having server problems at their end) is not a function of the player or even the Netflix code level. It's just a reality of life when you stream things. The alternative would be for the stream to pause frequently to rebuffer.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #304 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

I would be rightly pissed if they handicapped Netflix in a $500 player intentionally to reserve it for their ~$900 model, lol. And Netflix for most viewing? Seems either Oppo would be overkill for you.
post #305 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 414
The Netflix incoming video stream will be processed by Qdeo so the picture quality will be improved from craptacular to craptastic. Netflix is the way NOT to watch a movie.

IMO, Netflix is akin to 96kbps MP3.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #306 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Agreed, though some naysayers are even coming around (and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be with good transfers, encodes and bandwidth). It's merely a supplement for me (back to back Battlestar Galactica viewing ). Anxious to see what Vudu will provide, however.
post #307 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That is one stunning looking player! I wish they would have used it for the 93. Does this have improved component video performance and use the qdeo processing?
post #308 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

That is one stunning looking player! I wish they would have used it for the 93. Does this have improved component video performance and use the qdeo processing?

HDMI1 only. I would expect component to be the same as on the -93.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #309 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Liked: 14
Apparently TWO NuForce versions of the 93 are on their way, as well as a 95 NuForce Xtreme edition !

www.audiocircle.com

Quote:

You guys are in for a SHOCK beyond belief what we have accomplished.

OPPO BDP-93 Nuforce Edition is done and in production. We will demo it at CES 2011. Come and hear how this player rival a $10,000 CD player sound quality. We designed the audio board from the ground up, not modified from OPPO board.

There will be several versions:
BDP-93NE, 93 Nuforce Xtreme Edition (NXE) and 95 NXE.
We didn't leave out the 83 customers. A special 83NXE upgrade board will be available for 83 customers at a much lower price.

This is an early announcement and final plan could change as we are still working on NXE.
We will post technical descriptions in the next few days.

It will be interesting to compare the NuForce editions of the 93 to the standard Oppo 95 !
I hope NuForce will not only improve the FL and FR, but ALL the 7.1 analog outs !
post #310 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

Apparently TWO NuForce versions of the 93 are on their way, as well as a 95 NuForce Xtreme edition !

www.audiocircle.com

It will be interesting to compare the NuForce editions of the 93 to the standard Oppo 95 !
I hope NuForce will not only improve the FL and FR, but ALL the 7.1 analog outs !

Very interesting news.

Djoel

post #311 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

HDMI1 only. I would expect component to be the same as on the -93.

-Bill

Unless component is locked at 480p for BD discs, which we don't yet know.
post #312 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

www.audiocircle.com

Especially since the 95 is using a SABRE32 Reference 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC ES9018 for the 7.1-channel output and is not just a modified 93. So it will come down to this simple question, is the 95 sufficient on its own against whatever third party tries to preach that their audiophile adaption is superior?

Oppo Beta Group
post #313 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Im a bit new here... I've been told Oppo make the best blu-ray players.... looking to get one for my home theatre system... my first question is what makes them so good compared to the rest? also which version should i get?

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #314 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
My son sent me this... no idea why?!

http://xkcd.com/841/

Happy New Year,

Styln
post #315 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

Im a bit new here... I've been told Oppo make the best blu-ray players.... looking to get one for my home theatre system... my first question is what makes them so good compared to the rest? also which version should i get?

Unless you have already sunk a lot of money in a pre-HDMI HT system, start with the BDP-93. Also, Oppo's are not just BD players, they play many other formats. If you're not interested in them - you just want a BD player - there are less expensive choices.

Go to the Oppo Digital site and read the product overviews. Read some of these threads for the BDP-83, BDP-83SE, BDP-93, (professional reviews at the beginning of each thread) and you'll see that both reviews and owners are overall very happy with the players and level of service Oppo provides.

Styln
post #316 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM

didn't spend $ on anything pre HDMI.

I currently have a Sony XBR3 LCD, and i use my PS3 to watch blu-rays on them.... But i recently just purchased a new Pioneer Elite Plasma, and i need a Blu-ray player, which will be connected to my future home theatre system... But are Oppo's player provide better picture quality? lets say compared to to pioneer blu-ray player or sony or PS3

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #317 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

didn't spend $ on anything pre HDMI.

I currently have a Sony XBR3 LCD, and i use my PS3 to watch blu-rays on them.... But i recently just purchased a new Pioneer Elite Plasma, and i need a Blu-ray player, which will be connected to my future home theatre system... But are Oppo's player provide better picture quality? lets say compared to to pioneer blu-ray player or sony or PS3

These FAQs were written for a previous player, but the discussion is still relevant:

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #318 of 1008 Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I think the chances are good that if the standard 93ne doesnt improve the fl/fr only the extreme edition will do the deed . Not much else to differentiate the 2 models as the 93 has no 2ch outputs to modify

Ide like to see an apples to apples comparo of the 95 to the 95nxe Not really a level playing field otherwise ;cirrus logic dacs vs ess reference notwithstanding the supporting circuitry .
post #319 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Especially since the 95 is using a SABRE32 Reference 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC ES9018 for the 7.1-channel output and is not just a modified 93. So it will come down to this simple question, is the 95 sufficient on its own against whatever third party tries to preach that their audiophile adaption is superior?
Looks like there will be a bunch of threads to keep up with now.
post #320 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post
Please, reduce the size of the linked pics ...

Anyway... still prefer the "look" on my Actual 83SE NuForce Edition
toally agree! I will be in the line to get a 95 as soon as they hit the street, but I cannot stand the look of the 95 or the 93. I had a 93 as part of the early adoptor program, and it was sitting on top of my 83. The 93 looked like a media server with all the solid black, surface mounted buttons.

I have never been into the minimalist styling of A/V components that has occurred over the past few years. I like exposed buttons and the contrasting colors of black with brushed aluminum.

the BDP-83 is one of the most attractive A/V components to come along in a long time.
post #321 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Modern home theater gear does its audio "processing" using digital audio. So if you feed it analog audio, that has to be re-digitized before it can be processed. Then it gets converted back to analog again for output. That's done using the DACs in the processing box, e.g., your receiver. The quality of the DACs in the player get obscured by this.

So if you are going to want to have your audio "processed" you might as well use digital audio from the player in the first place. Which begs the question: Why pay for fancier analog output from the player?

To hear the quality of the DACs (the analog output stage) of the player, what you want is an "analog bypass" mode in your processor which sends the analog input directly to the analog (speaker) output with nothing but volume control along the way.

Now just what is this "processing" that you would be giving up when doing that? Well it includes things like audio surround modes -- taking 2 channels of audio input and raising it to 5.1 or 7.1 speakers of output. It also includes "bass management" -- automatically steering the bass content to your subwoofer. It also includes any sort of tuning of the audio as for example simple EQ systems or more complex room correction systems. It also includes timing adjustment for different speaker distances. Etc., etc.

The point is, if you are going to pay for the special quality of the analog outputs in the 95, then you EITHER need a minimal audio signal path that does essentially nothing to that audio but get it to the speakers, or you need to pay for an equally good processor that doesn't damage that high quality analog input while re-digitizing and processing it, and has equally good DACs for the final conversion back to analog for output. Processors like that are expensive.

And if you pay for a processor with DACs that good, you are BACK to the question of why not just send digital audio to that processor in the first place and avoid the analog output stage of the player and the re-digitization of that in the processor?

So folks who like analog from their players tend to fall into the first camp -- a minimal audio path after the analog leaves the player.

Typical "Receivers" will bypass multi-channel analog input (in fact most won't even offer the option of digitizing and processing that), but will re-digitize and process stereo analog input unless set to Analog Bypass mode.
--Bob

Wow....I need some clarification. This sort of relates to the BDP 95 that I want, but also has to do with modern AVR, but since so many are on this topic here, I will post here rather than receiver forum.

So, I just just bought a Cambridge 650R mainly for sound quality. I use an external DAC with my High res and AIFF files from media server.

Are you suggesting that when I use the external DAC to optimize 2 channel audio, and send it in through the CD input on the CA 650R, that the Cambridge re-digitizes this analog signal from the DAC and adds processing and then uses its own DAC to convert to analog further down the line??

There is an "analog direct" option for 2 channel.
There is also a "7.1 direct" option.

I know this would eliminate any processing, butt thought it was more to just shut off all circuits and power not being used on the chips/boards to minimize electrical interference with the signal path.

I guess I am very confused.
post #322 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 AM

this may have been answered but i cant find it. does the 93/95 have pqls jitter reduction? to match up with the pqls on my soon to be here pioneer sc-37
post #323 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldk View Post

this may have been answered but i cant find it. does the 93/95 have pqls jitter reduction? to match up with the pqls on my soon to be here pioneer sc-37

No, that's Pioneer's jitter reduction function that is not necessary since you can bitstream everything.

Oppo Beta Group
post #324 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

thank you
post #325 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

No, that's Pioneer's jitter reduction function that is not necessary since you can bitstream everything.

I agree with what you wrote, but do you have any evidence to show that bitstreaming is less susceptible to jitter?

Thanks, Nick
post #326 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM

where is the blu-ray disc drive for the 95? i'm looking at the pics i cant seem to see it

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #327 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

www.audiocircle.com (quote): "nuforce-jason
OPPO BDP-93NE, 93NXE, 95NXE and 83NXE
« on: 30 Dec 2010, 07:50 AM »This topic is used for all things Nuforce Edition for OPPO models.
You guys are in for a SHOCK beyond belief what we have accomplished.

OPPO BDP-93 Nuforce Edition is done and in production. We will demo it at CES 2011. Come and hear how this player rival a $10,000 CD player sound quality. We designed the audio board from the ground up, not modified from OPPO board.

There will be several versions:
BDP-93NE, 93 Nuforce Xtreme Edition (NXE) and 95 NXE.
We didn't leave out the 83 customers. A special 83NXE upgrade board will be available for 83 customers at a much lower price.

This is an early announcement and final plan could change as we are still working on NXE.
We will post technical descriptions in the next few days.
"

I hope NuForce will not only improve the FL and FR, but ALL the 7.1 analog outs!

yeah, I'm especially curious to see pricing for a new Oppo BDP-95NXE, if it will be worth it or not. Are we talking near $2000.00-plus?
post #328 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaven2 View Post

Wow....I need some clarification. This sort of relates to the BDP 95 that I want, but also has to do with modern AVR, but since so many are on this topic here, I will post here rather than receiver forum.

So, I just just bought a Cambridge 650R mainly for sound quality. I use an external DAC with my High res and AIFF files from media server.

Are you suggesting that when I use the external DAC to optimize 2 channel audio, and send it in through the CD input on the CA 650R, that the Cambridge re-digitizes this analog signal from the DAC and adds processing and then uses its own DAC to convert to analog further down the line??

There is an "analog direct" option for 2 channel.
There is also a "7.1 direct" option.

I know this would eliminate any processing, butt thought it was more to just shut off all circuits and power not being used on the chips/boards to minimize electrical interference with the signal path.

I guess I am very confused.

Bob gave a good general answer. Can't tell you how many times I've seen knowledgeable peeps on the Oppo threads misread/understand what their AVR does/doesn't do to the analog signal. Direct, Pure Direct, Source, Source Direct, Pure Source Analog Direct, and on and on for MCH & stereo both.

Suggest you check with Cambridge - and be sure to ask them if the pure/source direct path also bypasses digital gain controls. At this point, I'm so jaded regarding the marketing hype of pure/source analog direct, I'll only believe an AVR pure/source direct path is fully analog after reading the schematics. Would also suggest going all digital and not worrying about analog. Digital is the right direction for most people. That is, get the DACs and analog section you want in the AVR/PrePro/Pre-Amp... and enjoy them.

Styln
post #329 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, I'm especially curious to see pricing for a new Oppo BDP-95NXE, if it will be worth it or not. Are we talking near $2000.00-plus?

I really don't think so !

Due Oppo 95 will be under 1K and $100-200 more than last 83SE, I expect that the forthcoming 95NXE will be the same $100-200 more than their last 83SE Nuforce Editon, so I'll expect the 95NXE under $1500
post #330 of 1008 Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM

i posted this over at the pioneer sc-37 thread and thought i should put it here.
i have a jvc rs40 on the way so 3d is one of the reasons for a sc-37 and the oppo95. i have gone back and forth on either the 93 or 95 and i have come to the conclusion i would like the 95 for the 2 channel setup running it through the balanced xlr's into my parasound halo gear then out to my old school pioneer hpm 100's. the hdmi from the 95 to sc-37 out to my 7.1 tannoy eyris dc3's.
does this configuration sound right?
thank you
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page