AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post

Thanks Mike,

I assume this is a hardware restriction. I can't say it makes a lot of sense to me to release a flagship multichannel player where you can't set distances correctly. I for one am tired of a curved soundstage because I can't compensate for the L/R being 2 feet closer than my center channel.

Warren

Any reason you can't use digital to AVR and have the AVR set distances (eg Audyssey, etc)?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Any reason you can't use digital to AVR and have the AVR set distances (eg Audyssey, etc)?

Mike

Doing so, will be useless to get devices like 83SE or 95 due will loose any vantage of their DACS ....
This means throw in the water the 9018 Dacs ...
post #63 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Doing so, will be useless to get devices like 83SE or 95 due will loose any vantage of their DACS ....
This means throw in the water the 9018 Dacs ...

True.
I don't thinks the OP listed his equipment or what his goals/rationale were.

Mike

post #64 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Agreed, but given that the 93/95 are universal players and can stream a bunch of different formats (some of which are lossless), what other devices other than things like a cable box would one reasonably want to connect to a digital input on the OPPO?

I have to say that I can't think of any, not one, that puts out lossless 2-ch digital audio via SPDIF. I suppose one might find a use for it from another media STB or PC that has SPDIF output. But there are other ways to skin that cat.
post #65 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

wow, very cool looking player. Let's see if I finally replace my Denon DVD-3930CI (for playing RedBook CD's)

I know there's no basis for comparison yet since neither player is on the market, but insofar as I'm also looking to replace my Denon DVD-3930CI with a new Blu-Ray player that meets or exceeds the audio and DVD upconversion standards of the old Denon, I wonder which of these two models will be better. Right now, for BluRays and streaming purposes, I'm using a sub-$100 Panasonic, but I want one machine that gives me the best of everything. I also want to make sure the new player offers Pandora.
post #66 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
waz

I have a Lexicon MC4 with 5.1 analog inputs. It only allows for level settings as it's an analog bypass. I assume most people considering the purchase of the 95 are interested in using the multichannel analog outputs and want to be able to set delays accurately.

Warren
post #67 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I have to say that I can't think of any, not one, that puts out lossless 2-ch digital audio via SPDIF. I suppose one might find a use for it from another media STB or PC that has SPDIF output. But there are other ways to skin that cat.

I would really like Sonos usability into the better Sabre Dacs. Oh well, back to looking at the Rega DAC which also uses the Sabre.
post #68 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I'm also looking to replace my Denon DVD-3930CI with a new Blu-Ray player that meets or exceeds the audio and DVD upconversion standards of the old Denon, I wonder which of these two models will be better

yeah, I was also close to considering a new Denon DBP-4010UDCI, but I'm gonna hold-off and wait for the BDP-95. I figure Oppo has now gained much experience to produce a pretty good universal BD capable player with excellent 2ch/7.1ch analog sound quality.

I have a BDP-83SE unit. While I like it I still did'nt feel the overall sound quality (for 2ch/5.1ch) was'nt as good as my few year old Denon DVD-3930CI, so I never swapped it (the Denon) out of my rack. I gave the BDP-83SE to my girl friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I want one machine that gives me the best of everything

exactly, although I will still employ multiple players in my system, I like the flexibility and having the "back-up" capability. I'm still using a Denon DVD-3930CI, DVD-3800BDCI and a Pioneer BDP-05FD.

My DVD-3930CI still sounds beautiful, however it exhibits "freezing-up" during playback of random (RedBook) CD's. So ready to physically part with this unit at this point. I trust the BDP-95 will live up to my 2ch sound quality hopes
post #69 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, I was also close to considering a new Denon DBP-4010UDCI, but I'm gonna hold-off and wait for the BDP-95. I figure Oppo has now gained much experience to produce a pretty good universal BD capable player with excellent 2ch/7.1ch analog sound quality.

I have a BDP-83SE unit. While I like it I still did'nt feel the overall sound quality (for 2ch/5.1ch) was'nt as good as my few year old Denon DVD-3930CI, so I never swapped it (the Denon) out of my rack...I trust the BDP-95 will live up to my 2ch sound quality hopes

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be eagerly waiting to hear your appraisal of the BDP-95 before making any decisions.
post #70 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragno View Post

also voicing my support of a region/zone free mod. It is an absolute must considering i move all over the World and don't have the luxury of always finding a DVD in one particular region.

If this becomes reality, I would be seriously interested!

Oppo can't offer it due to SD-DVD and Blu-Ray licensing pressures, but there's nothing that prevents 3rd parties from offering it just as happened with the 83 and 83se.

It appears a mod from Europe for the 93 is already done, and just awaiting final testing against the now released production 93 version before being offered for sale.

I fully expect the same will be true for the 95.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #71 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post

Will the 95 have the same distance setting restrictions as the 83? I can't be the only one with a center channel further away than the left/right.

Warren

Yes. Same distance setting restrictions as in the 83. The 95 uses the same firmware as the 93 and you can download the 93 Manual from Oppo's support page for the 93 to check the write up on this.
--Bob

post #72 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. Same distance setting restrictions. The 95 uses the same firmware as the 93 and you can download the 93 Manual from Oppo's support page for the 93 to check the write up on this.
--Bob

Yes I know Bob

But .. Due the 95 is an Analog oriented machine, would be the case to sensibilize Oppo in treat it for Audio processing a bit in deep, otherwise many user with atipycal or asimmetric installations must renunce to use the 95 and its wonderful DAcs ...
post #73 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

But if they did that, you'd have nothing to wish for in the next player.
--Bob

post #74 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Cant wait for the 95 to come out.. was going to get 93.

If I use the 7.1 analogs out is it the same as using a hdmi cable and getting HD-DTS, Dolby HD, etc.... except the 95 will do all the processing? getting tired of buying new AVRs every 9 months
post #75 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

If I use the 7.1 analogs out is it the same as using a hdmi cable and getting HD-DTS, Dolby HD, etc.... except the 95 will do all the processing? getting tired of buying new AVRs every 9 months

Yes
post #76 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes I know Bob

But .. Due the 95 is an Analog oriented machine, would be the case to sensibilize Oppo in treat it for Audio processing a bit in deep, otherwise many user with atipycal or asimmetric installations must renunce to use the 95 and its wonderful DAcs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

But if they did that, you'd have nothing to wish for in the next player.
--Bob

The Oppo 97SE.

Mike

post #77 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Dan,

I agree. I'll be all over the 95 when it becomes available. Although I hope the fan is as quiet as the one in my 83SE. Although at times you might not have a chance of hearing the fan especially when a certain someone is hungry.

Bill
Five seconds after my post, I thought of you Bill I know how you dislike fans, and I do have the advantage the new gal seem to be hungry all the time, making it difficult to hear much these days..

I thought I was happy with my 83SE, I heard about the 93 and didn't think I was getting any major advances over my Oppo, but once I saw the 95 and the mention of xlr's I was in. Hope this is it for some time, and yield any urges to upgrade

Dan

post #78 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
[quote=Djoel;19681089]
Quote:
Five seconds after my post, I thought of you Bill I know how you dislike fans, and I do have the advantage the new gal seem to be hungry all the time, making it difficult to hear much these days..
I'm trying to kick my anti fan thoughts The fan in the 83SE seems quieter than the one in the 83 I had but maybe its just me. Before you know it you will be hiding the remotes.

Quote:
I thought I was happy with my 83SE, I heard about the 93 and didn't think I was getting any major advances over my Oppo, but once I saw the 95 and the mention of xlr's I was in. Hope this is it for some time, and yield any urges to upgrade
Give it up Dan as soon as Oppo announces the fore mentioned 97SE you will have the 95 on A-gon. I know I will as it is a hopeless to fight the all mighty upgraditis bug.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #79 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse here but am I assuming correctly that the dedicated stereo outs won't have any bass management?
Speakers will be treated as LARGE and all bass information (including LFE) can be directed to the Front Left/Right.
post #80 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Give it up Dan as soon as Oppo announces the fore mentioned 97SE you will have the 95 on A-gon. I know I will as it is a hopeless to fight the all mighty upgraditis bug.
Didn't the Blockbuster e-mail people got when they registered their players elude to a BDP-97? Yes. Yes it did.
post #81 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Congrats to Highlander who called this one perfectly and Merry Christmas. Looks very nice and if I was purchasing new, this is the one I'd buy - no doubt about it! Looking at it from an upgrade perspective where marginally better/different sound alone doesn't justify a new purchase (no flames please) Here is what I'd need, in priority order, to upgrade from the SE:

24 bit DLNA/UPnP streaming support

The 24 bit stereo file based music collection is growing - this machine must be able to play them. Period, not negotiable.

Controller/Renderer DLNA support

The "experimental" UI from the SE just doesn't cut it as my on-line collection continues to grow. Need to use something like

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=20897.
MCH DLNA/UPnP streaming support

The MCH file based music collection is growing - this machine should be able to play them so I don't have to burn them to DVD-A.

Other Thoughts

As you can see, I'm looking for improved streaming audio support similar to improved streaming video support (Netflix et al).

Like the balanced outputs and wish there were more of them.

Does it come in silver to match every other piece of audio gear in the rack? A choice would be nice.

And finally, I'd still like the CD name and song titles to be displayed on the front pannel, like dedicated CD/SACD players do. Optionally, Oppo could include a lifetime

Shazam license in the box
A fan, but not a fanboy,

Styln
post #82 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately the UI is pretty much unchanged from the BDP-8x series, so if you did not like it then, you will not like it then. DLNA/UDnP rendering is not a part of the BDP-9x series of players, so you will still need to use the clunky interface.
post #83 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Well if you did that, you won't get good bass management, auto room -EQ like Audyssey etc....

My gear & my blog:

post #84 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I had been waiting a long time for the Denon 2011 to come out, but after reading the specs of the BDP-95 I think I just changed my mind. Now I can't wait for February to arrive!
post #85 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Well if you did that, you won't get good bass management, auto room -EQ like Audyssey etc....

I'll be using the analogs on my Pioneer Sc-25, I'd update to a new AVR but its only 9 months old. Thats problem one. Problem two is I have no idea what New AVR i'd get to replace it. I'm going to pair the Oppo 95 up with my samsung 46" 8000 LED 3d Tv. I'm on the fence about what projector I'm gonna pair it up with a RS40 or RS50.

My plan was to use one hdmi to the samsung TV, and the second hdmi to the projector. And use the analogs to the Sc-25. seems like I upgrade every 9 months..

thanks
post #86 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 414
cancelling my BDP-93 and now waiting for the 95... even if it is just for the looks alone. It looks a lot more serious and classier than the 93.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #87 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

cancelling my BDP-93 and now waiting for the 95... even if it is just for the looks alone. It looks a lot more serious and classier than the 93.

I thought of getting the 93 and using an external DAC (W4S) but after seeing the specs of the 95 I will definitely wait. I agree in that I prefer the looks of the 95 as well. Especially the back panel.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #88 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Hate to beat a dead horse here but am I assuming correctly that the dedicated stereo outs won't have any bass management?

Redirect of LFE, but but no crossover. Crossover only for MCH.

Quote:

Good point !

Unluckly, internal DSP didn't permit to assign the loudspeaker to reference at ...
So the reference for dstance rapport will be always FL and FR, plus all the distances work in couples ... You cannot assign 3ft to FR and 2ft to FL for example .... as you cannot work with half foot steps that can be useful for a bit more precise time phase settings ...

Luckly, my setup is almost symmetrical so no problems with levels and distances, BUT sub, for example, is set at distance of 11ft when a good value could be 10,5ft (but half steps cannot be entered ...) being 10ft too much early and 11ft a bit later ...

I wrote Oppo several time, asking for half steps for distances ...

It's all relative bro.
Just double your speaker distances and adjust from there.
IE: If your front speaker distance is 10ft and your center is 9.5, then make your fronts at 20, and center at 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Didn't the Blockbuster e-mail people got when they registered their players elude to a BDP-97? Yes. Yes it did.

See, now you are just using your influence for purely evil purposes, and just a few days before Christmas. I like it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I had been waiting a long time for the Denon 2011 to come out, but after reading the specs of the BDP-95 I think I just changed my mind. Now I can't wait for February to arrive!

I guess we can thank Denon for stepping aside and conceding the market to OPPO.
Of course there's always the approach to see what OPPO offers, then try to counter, but of course anything better will cost thousands more than what OPPO puts out, and for marginal improvement... independently wealthy entrepreneurs, get in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

That alone is worth at least an extra grand.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #89 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

It is a complex situation. I ran the 83 dedicated stereo analog outs thru my Denon AVR4310 analog input and applied Audyssey. That yielded better SQ than the 2 other options, i.e., HDMI digital out of the Oppo or analog out of the Oppo into Ext In on the Denon, forgoing Audyssey.

I recently improved the acoustics in my room with curtains. I also upgraded my speakers (4 ohm Dali helicon 400s and C200 CC) and thus needed an external amp for my Denon, so I got an emotiva XPA5. Now when I upgrade to a 95, I will want to keep that 5.1 analog path away from the Denon entirely as its preamp stage is not up to the task. I have already established that I get significantly better SQ from an emotiva UMC1 prepro for analog 2 Ch, but it only has 1 set of 7.1 analog ins. As I'd like to still use the Denon for cable box processing of lossy audio and apply Audyssey w/ DynEQ, next I will try a Parasound P7 as it has 2 sets of 7.1 analog ins. Therefore I can run the Denon preouts to the P7, and run the Oppo analog directly thru the P7 as well.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #90 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
[quote=Bill Mac;19681256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm trying to kick my anti fan thoughts The fan in the 83SE seems quieter than the one in the 83 I had but maybe its just me. Before you know it you will be hiding the remotes.

Bill, I'm not trying to make you turn a new leaf for the 20-11, and make you swear off fans, everyone needs a vice

Quote:

Give it up Dan as soon as Oppo announces the fore mentioned 97SE you will have the 95 on A-gon. I know I will as it is a hopeless to fight the all mighty upgraditis bug.Bill

Man you know me better than I know myself, so I'll take your word for it

Quote:

Neuromancer;19681461]Didn't the Blockbuster e-mail people got when they registered their players elude to a BDP-97? Yes. Yes it did.

So, your saying I should waited out a bit longer Bill what do you say?

Quote:

I thought of getting the 93 and using an external DAC (W4S) but after seeing the specs of the 95 I will definitely wait. I agree in that I prefer the looks of the 95 as well. Especially the back panel.

Bill

Glad to hear you'll be joining the party Bill I can wait for you to break this baby down.

Dan

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page