Official OPPO BDP-95 Anticipation Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1008 Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
If you wait for the 97, and then the 99, and the 101, just think of the money you'll save!

Perhaps even enough to pay for piano and singing lessons so you can entertain yourself and the family in the interim?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
But if they did that, you'd have nothing to wish for in the next player.
--Bob
Bob ... Next gen players will must match with others advanced 3D processing and maybe scaling 4k features together with a great Frame Interpolation algo to spread 3D contents more fluid with less artifacts ... There will be a lot of work around it, both in Players and in External VP units ....

Turning back with the feet on the ground, I still think that paying for Extra Premium DACs device like this Oppo 95, meant to be used Analog ONLY !!
In order to do this for Multichannel in almost every setup, Oppo must revised and enhance the Audio Processing section to permit to almost everyone to perform a precise settings Otherwise, many guys renounce and look to go Digital over hdmi where autoprocessing like Audissey simplify their life ...
This also means, IMHO, that OPPO must have 2 'Lines' of Firmware update ... and the 95 MUST have it's own Firm, with all the basic 93, plus specifics add to manage well it's premium performances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
It's all relative bro.
Just double your speaker distances and adjust from there.
IE: If your front speaker distance is 10ft and your center is 9.5, then make your fronts at 20, and center at 19..
Thanks Dave ...
I never thought to act this way, due to assumption that by FL & FR by default start a 12ft and I never tried to increase more thinking it's was the max value that could be inserted .... silly me ...

Thanks very much, I'll try to gain the half values by your doubling distances strategy
post #93 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Correct. Potentially the torodial power supply and re-engineered internals will make the overall product better, but from a performance to cost relationship, the BDP-93 makes more sense as a transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post
This also means, IMHO, that OPPO must have 2 'Lines' of Firmware update ... and the 95 MUST have it's own Firm, with all the basic 93, plus specifics add to manage well it's premium performances
Read above
post #94 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I recently improved the acoustics in my room with curtains. I also upgraded my speakers (4 ohm Dali helicon 400s and C200 CC) and thus needed an external amp for my Denon, so I got an emotiva XPA5. Now when I upgrade to a 95, I will want to keep that 5.1 analog path away from the Denon entirely as its preamp stage is not up to the task. I have already established that I get significantly better SQ from an emotiva UMC1 prepro for analog 2 Ch, but it only has 1 set of 7.1 analog ins. As I'd like to still use the Denon for cable box processing of lossy audio and apply Audyssey w/ DynEQ, next I will try a Parasound P7 as it has 2 sets of 7.1 analog ins. Therefore I can run the Denon preouts to the P7, and run the Oppo analog directly thru the P7 as well.

I welcome comments and suggestions.
Does the Emotiva have any other analog inputs? If it, for instance, has a tape-in input and doesn't digitize that signal, you can effectively use that for the two-channel stereo outs from the Oppo. You might also look into the Zektor MAS7.1 switch. This supports multiple analog audio inputs to a single output. With one of those you could run the Denon preouts and the Oppo to the Zektor and then switch which one went to the Emotiva processor. The Zektor switches are very transparent.

post #95 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 AM

Since the 95 has a premium DAC, does it mean there is no point using HDMI for audio out? (let the 95 do all of the conversion) So will I be running HDMI out for video and analog out for audio into my Denon avr 3311 (which powers my center/rears and serves as pre-amp to my Arcam amp for the 2 fronts)?

Or should I use all HDMI for Blu Rays and only analog for SACDs and CDs?
post #96 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Does the Emotiva have any other analog inputs? If it, for instance, has a tape-in input and doesn't digitize that signal, you can effectively use that for the two-channel stereo outs from the Oppo. You might also look into the Zektor MAS7.1 switch. This supports multiple analog audio inputs to a single output. With one of those you could run the Denon preouts and the Oppo to the Zektor and then switch which one went to the Emotiva processor. The Zektor switches are very transparent.
The Emo UMC 1 prepro actually has plenty of inputs for 2 Ch, as all can be switched to direct and are quite clean. But for 5.1 it can handle only 1 set. Thanks for the suggestion, the Zektor would indeed work. However, once I pay $700 for the Emo and $600 for the Zek I am thinking it would make more sense to opt for the P7 for $1500 (fact refurb) and eliminate the extra cabling and box, while increasing the preamp quality another notch.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #97 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aytang1997 View Post
Since the 95 has a premium DAC, does it mean there is no point using HDMI for audio out? (let the 95 do all of the conversion) So will I be running HDMI out for video and analog out for audio into my Denon avr 3311 (which powers my center/rears and serves as pre-amp to my Arcam amp for the 2 fronts)?

ALL the outs connectors are simultaneously Active in the Oppo Players

This means you'll able to choose the best way to config it in your layout pointing at the best convenient way aimed to performance.

Obvioulsly in the 83SE and expecially in 95 will be the case to use analog outs either in multichannel for BD, SACD, DTS CD and DVD 7.1/5.1 contents paying attention to avoid pre/Avr re-digitizing
post #98 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post
I have a Lexicon MC4 with 5.1 analog inputs. It only allows for level settings as it's an analog bypass. I assume most people considering the purchase of the 95 are interested in using the multichannel analog outputs and want to be able to set delays accurately.

Warren
If setting delays for SACD through the analog outs, the 95 will do DSD to PCM conversion first.

In case of the 93, DSD is converted to 88,2kHz/24bit, will this be the case for the 95 as well, or can we hope for a higher frequency (like 176,4kHz e.g.) ?

Are the DACs doing the DSD->PCM conversion or the Mediatek chip ? If it is the latter, then I guess it will be 88,2/24 as well...
post #99 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 AM

will use of the oppo 95 volume control still reduce sound quality in analog use?
post #100 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwp View Post
will use of the oppo 95 volume control still reduce sound quality in analog use?
Surely, as it works in digital domain as is now for 93 and previous 83 models
post #101 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it depends a lot on the capability of your SSP. If the latter redigitizes and/or has comparable quality DACs, then I see little reason to need the analog performance from the 95 (and probably the 93 will suffice). Also, your SSP may have more sophisticated bass management, for example, than the 95in which case a digital connection might be preferred.

I suppose it is possible that the 95 may ultimately prove to be superior to the 93 even when used as a digital transport; it will be interesting to get some reports from users once it is released.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #102 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM

Will I be better off getting a dac such as wyred for sound that had the ess 9018 chip than waiting for the 95 for 2 channel music. I already have the 93.
post #103 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast View Post

Will I be better off getting a dac such as wyred for sound that had the ess 9018 chip than waiting for the 95 for 2 channel music. I already have the 93.

I normaly stay away and be careful by any external dacs solution due to the jitter problems that could arise ....
Better an internal solution where dacs are implied directly with the decoder cip
post #104 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have posted on testing of the Oppo 83 and 93 analog output using Denon AVRs. The DAC's in those units are superior to those of the Denon 2809 and 4310. The Denon preamp stages will not be up to the even better SQ of an 83SE or 95 analog outs. If you have good speakers well placed in an acoustically decent room and want great 2 Ch SQ for the extra $ you would spend on a 95, you should consider a nice 2 ch bypass preamp such as an emotiva USP1(currently $399). Otherwise just buy a 93; it will sound really good.

post #105 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

If you wait for the 97, and then the 99, and the 101, just think of the money you'll save!

Perhaps even enough to pay for piano and singing lessons so you can entertain yourself and the family in the interim?
--Bob

Naaah, won't wait for that long. From the other threads some people know that I already own a BDP-09, BDP-23 and several other players. Both my BDP-09 and 23 still have 1.5 year warranty left. So I'm in no rush in getting a new player, especially now I know exactly when the 95 will be released.

This way I can definitely get rid of the BDP-09 without any sacrifice in PQ and AQ (at least in theory).

As far a piano and singing lessons... too late for that. I took piano and singing lessons since I was almost 3 y.o. and have taught those for 20 years. I no longer teach music though. Can't stand the kids' parents nowadays... making music lessons as their glorified baby sitting service.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #106 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Dave ...
I never thought to act this way, due to assumption that by FL & FR by default start a 12ft and I never tried to increase more thinking it's was the max value that could be inserted .... silly me ...

Thanks very much, I'll try to gain the half values by your doubling distances strategy

Hi Dave ...

SORRY didn't works ....

My settings for distances:

FL /FR = 12ft
C = 10ft
SW = 11ft
All other Surrounds = 1ft

In order to get a 10,5ft for sub, doubled the values as sugested ... BUT:

If I raise to 24ft FL/FR I'm able to set C = 20 and SW to 21 ... BUT all Surrounds cannot be lowered more than 7ft While, instead, doubling my actual right time phase setup they must be set to 2ft ....

So .. NO WAY .....

OPPO, please, implement half foot steps for the distances ... please ....
post #107 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I have posted on testing of the Oppo 83 and 93 analog output using Denon AVRs. The DAC's in those units are superior to those of the Denon 2809 and 4310. The Denon preamp stages will not be up to the even better SQ of an 83SE or 95 analog outs. If you have good speakers well placed in an acoustically decent room and want great 2 Ch SQ for the extra $ you would spend on a 95, you should consider a nice 2 ch bypass preamp such as an emotiva USP1(currently $399). Otherwise just buy a 93; it will sound really good.

Thanks for the info. So even if I use the 95 analog out to denon 3311 analog in, will the denon 3311 (serving as preamp to a 2 ch power amp) automatically "reprocess" the analog signals? Will I HAVE to get a bypass pre-amp? If that's the case, then I really should just get the 93 and use all HDMI...
post #108 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

ALL the outs connectors are simultaneously Active in the Oppo Players

This means you'll able to choose the best way to config it in your layout pointing at the best convenient way aimed to performance.

Obvioulsly in the 83SE and expecially in 95 will be the case to use analog outs either in multichannel for BD, SACD, DTS CD and DVD 7.1/5.1 contents paying attention to avoid pre/Avr re-digitizing

How can you tell if my pre/Avr re-digitizes? How do I avoid that?
post #109 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

And with all that excellence and pimped-out DACs they forgot to include digital inputs. Again. In 2011.

No digital inputs-no sale. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post

that might be true for me too...is there a competing product for not more than twice the price (which performs as well as the 95 may as a universal player, *and* has digital inputs for use as an outboard DAC)?

(I'm in the market for both functionalities, and would love not to buy them separately.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Well, that's the idea. There are a few DVD or SACD players that have this feature and Oppo had an excellent chance to make it AFAIK "first" universal player with Hi-End DACs and digital inputs.

With more and more hi-res audio material available(like from hdtracks) and 2011 around the corner, I find their choice to ignore this to be completely unacceptable. But maybe it's just me. All the hype and fanboyism will overshadow this and I'm sure they'll have no probs selling it anyway. But not to me

giedrys,

What brands in a DVD or SACD player offers this functionality currently and at what cost? I understand the want, but I don't understand the need. Does anyone know if the soon to be released players by Denon and Marantz will offer such a feature?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #110 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... So even if I use the 95 analog out to denon 3311 analog in, will the denon 3311 (serving as preamp to a 2 ch power amp) automatically "reprocess" the analog signals? Will I HAVE to get a bypass pre-amp? ...

Not necessarily and no not at all. I have posted my results on the 93 thread so a quick advanced search there will get you details. Basically, if you send the analog to
#1 Denon Ext In it will undergo minimal processing with no ADC/DAC but you lose Audyssey and bass management and the overall SQ suffers as the 3311, etc., level AVRs are no great shakes in the preamp department. If instead you send the analog to
#2 a regular Denon analog in it will undergo ADC ->PCM and then you get Audyssey and bass management, then another DAC. IMO #2 is the better Denon route for SQ, but it is only slightly better than #1. But in my system a seperate preamp provides significantly better SQ, and I only have the 83, so I am expecting the 95 analog SQ to be even better.

post #111 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Could someone please clarify the expected limitations which will apply to the 95's analog ouputs in regards to distances? I have surrounds at unequal distances and further than FR/L.

post #112 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Liked: 22
I currently own the 83 and was considering the 93 as an eventual upgrade due to its silent operation and Netflix inclusion - I'll probably keep the 83 for its (currently superior) DVD up-scaling/de-interlacing. The BDP-95 seems like the perfect source for a high-quality 2-channel system or a high-end headphone system. Incredible DACs, media compatibility and networked DLNA, and balanced output is what I've been waiting for. My K1000/FirstWatt F1/Parasound P3 system will be happy to have a new source. Any headphone nuts out there will know what I'm talking about (now where's that HE90 I've been looking for ).

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #113 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Since the 95 has a premium DAC, does it mean there is no point using HDMI for audio out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

I suppose it is possible that the 95 may ultimately prove to be superior to the 93 even when used as a digital transport; it will be interesting to get some reports from users once it is released.

Good question; I agree with the answer and more. Receivers and processors that digitise their inputs invariably compromise analogue sources in my experience (even the best Arcam, Lexicon, Proceed & Meridian), so you're generally better off with a digital connection in those cases.

However, I find the better players (and I'd be surprised if the 95 didn't fall into that category) often sound better than AVRs doing the D to A - though you obviously need a good analogue pass-through.

Having said all that, I still think the 95 may sound better than any other Oppo with digital connections. Switch-mode PSUs can't help but pollute everything, and I think a linear PSU is a real step forwards, and will help with any digital connection. That's what I have in mind for the 95, and I've already placed an order, sight unseen.

It will probably make it difficult for the likes of me to import one from the US to the UK though - I'll need to change the transformer.

Nick
post #114 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I normaly stay away and be careful by any external dacs solution due to the jitter problems that could arise ....
Better an internal solution where dacs are implied directly with the decoder cip

It's kind of funny how these arguments go back and forth - separates versus 'in a box'. I think as long a one can avoid HDMI, using a standalone DAC for 2 ch playback works very well. Plus you have the advantage of being able to use the DAC for other sources. Although it obviously won't pass multichannel, the coax output on the oppo players handles 2-ch just fine.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #115 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

It will probably make it difficult for the likes of me to import one from the US to the UK though - I'll need to change the transformer.

Nick

From the Oppo website description of the BDP-95:

World Power Supply - The BDP-95 features a world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. Voltage range from 100V-120V and 200V-240V can be selected by flipping a switch on the back panel.

You will only need a plug adapter.
post #116 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

Having said all that, I still think the 95 may sound better than any other Oppo with digital connections. Switch-mode PSUs can't help but pollute everything, and I think a linear PSU is a real step forwards, and will help with any digital connection. That's what I have in mind for the 95, and I've already placed an order, sight unseen.

You may well be right. There haven't been too many reliable, documented accounts of 'enhanced' players perfoming better as transports - and I've not compared any for myself - but that doesn't mean this one won't.

You're a Meridian guy, right? Will be interesting to get your impressions of the 95.

post #117 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

My anticipated implementation for the Oppo 95 will be HDMI out to the AVR for video content and multichannel DVD-A/SACD, and then 2-channel analog out directly into an 845-based tube amp and dedicated stereo speakers utilizing the Pure Audio mode on the 95.

I want to utilize the volume control on the Oppo remote and bypass any preamplification source by going direct into the tube amp. I'm hoping the output impedance of the Oppo and the input impedance of the tube amp will be compatible.

Has anyone suggested the desire to have the Pure Audio mode on the 95 disable the cooling fan for critical music listening? Just a thought...
post #118 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Surely, as it works in digital domain as is now for 93 and previous 83 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwp View Post

The volume controls on the the BDP-8x has been in the analog domain since the 50-0424 Firmware and day one with the BDP-93. The same is true for the BDP-95.
post #119 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Hi Dave ...

SORRY didn't works ....

My settings for distances:

FL /FR = 12ft
C = 10ft
SW = 11ft
All other Surrounds = 1ft

In order to get a 10,5ft for sub, doubled the values as sugested ... BUT:

If I raise to 24ft FL/FR I'm able to set C = 20 and SW to 21 ... BUT all Surrounds cannot be lowered more than 7ft While, instead, doubling my actual right time phase setup they must be set to 2ft ....

So .. NO WAY .....

OPPO, please, implement half foot steps for the distances ... please ....

Dang, thought it would work. However since this is the case, maybe they can not implement the half steps anyway, do to the limitation that you see.
Based on this information, I would guess that it is a limitation with the MTK chip. So the the only one who could change it would be Mediatek, and with the request being lower in popularity among other requests, I wouldn't expect it to happen, but you never know.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #120 of 1008 Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

--Bob

That's good.
I wonder if Oppo would/is considering a stand alone DAC?

Mike
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page