Roku or Blu-Ray Player for Online Content? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a Roku for Christmas as a present, which I was very happy to get. However... I haven't opened it yet because one of our DVD's players broke. We are contemplating returning the Roku and putting the money toward a Blu-Ray Player that can stream Netflix movies and other online content while also serving as an DVD player.

Here's the dilemma. We already have a Roku in the house and everyone loves it! We find that we like having Netflix, but the Free channels like MediaFly, RokuNewscaster, TuneIn, etc. are really nice to have. We've used them quite a bit, and even canceled cable service. It seems most Blu-Ray players only offer online Netflix streaming and that's it. Also the TV's we would be hooking up the Roku or Blu-Ray to are CRT's. We probably won't plan on getting new TV's for awhile.

Does it make sense to get a Blu-Ray player and hook it up to a CRT mainly for video streaming? Will the picture look weird? Can you get the same online content on Blu-Rays as the Roku? What do people think we should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have my Insignia blu ray player connected to a CRT, and there's no problems viewing streaming content on it, or playing SD dvds...

As for internet content, different players feature varying amounts of apps for streaming video. and even then, there are different versions of say Netflix apps deployed across the players.

I came upon a video on youtube for a Sony blu ray player S770, and was floored by the Netflix app shown, My Insignia has only 3 services-NF, Pandora music service and CinemaNow, and the NF app is rather plain, nowhere near as cool as the Sony. I love the way that it lists the movie title, time elapsed, and the fast fowarding bar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpcw7WmdugM

You can try searching at youtube for other blu ray players, to get a look at what and how many kinds of other services that may be offered.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I would keep the Roku. Roku has a good history of periodic interface updates, adding new services, and other ongoing support. This is not generally true of player manufacturers, where the streaming features when you buy are often all you will ever have.

Then you can pick a BD player based on the specific disc playback features you need, sorting for best Blu-ray performance (or lowest price) and not worry about streaming.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

We have 2 TVs that are LCD's, but are only 720 resolution. We have a Roku and a Wii for those TV's. I was considering just switching around the Wii or Roku to one of of the other CRT's. Then using the Blu-Ray on one of the better TV's. It would nice to have our DVD's be unconverted to better resolution. It's hard keeping up with electronics.

Thanks!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

It seems like most in the house would rather keep the Roku and wait on the a Blu-Ray.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

It seems like most in the house would rather keep the Roku and wait on the a Blu-Ray.

I picked my blu-ray based on streaming features. I went with a panasonic 300. It was one of very few players that streamed netflix, amazon VOD, and VUDU. It's also 3d, but I haven't gotten to the point of buying a 3d tv. I've always been intersted in a ROKU, but have never seen one at a store to try. Hard for me to order something I can't see in person first.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 AM

have you thought about a PS3? Blu-Ray + Netflix + Vudu +games
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

I am also looking at the Roku, Sony Media Player, and the Wester Digital models. Let us know what you decide.

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #9 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Although Roku has the most content, Sony's is better, including several that Roku doesn't have. Panasonic has the least, but the few it has are more desirable than Roku IMO. PS3 is a good option, but the best bang for the buck is a streaming blu-ray player, many of which are less the $100, which is less than a comparable Roku. However, as other's have said, Roku and PS3 are the most future proof.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I guess it depends on just what you are looking for your purchase to do in your system. I have had three Roku units (one XR that is 1080 capable hooked to an ISF calibrated 65" Panasonic plasma in my HT) for a little more than a year and have never had a single issue with any of them. They are all hard wired, PQ on the 37" LCD and the 34"CRT is very good and what I love most about the little buggers (they are small which is nice) is that they have such a variety of private channels (not to mention the normal collection such as Netflix, Pandora, Amazon VOD, HULU+ etc.) and other offerings that it seems that every day I turn it on a new channel is up and running. They are slowly adding more sports (they have MLB, NHL, UFC, Australian league football along with a cricket channel) so hopefully they will land some bigger fish. I think for the price and again, depending on what you need, it's a great bargain.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page