2011 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players Add 2D to 3D Conversion, Skype, and More - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 495 Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PANASONIC FULL HD 3D BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER RECEIVES TWO CES INNOVATIONS 2011 DESIGN AND ENGINEERING AWARDS

LAS VEGAS, NJ (January 5, 2011) - Panasonic announced today that its DMP-BDT210 Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player has received two International CES Innovations 2011 Design and Engineering Awards, highlighting its excellence in both the video components category and video display category.

Panasonic's DMP-BDT210 Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with 2D-to-3D up-conversion can convert 2D images from DVDs and Blu-ray discs into 3D with natural depth perception. Its 3D Enhancer and Depth Controller produces movie theater-style 3D effects. Also contributing to higher picture quality is the new UniPhier chip, which simultaneously lowers power consumption. Vertical color data has also been increased by 1.5 times, to express fine details and nuances in movie scenes with the PHL Reference Chroma Processor 2. The new HDMI Jitter Purifier improves sound quality, delivering pure and robust bass sound reproduction with minimal noise compared to previous models.

The newest addition to VIERA CAST*, Panasonic's proprietary Internet solution, on the DMP-BDT210 is the video/voice communication service, Skype. With this new application and camera (purchased separately), users can engage in long distance video/voice conversations with family and friends right from their TV. Panasonic has made it even easier to access this through the Blu-ray Disc player with a devoted Skype button on the remote control. Other features of Skype include Standby Mode, Video mail, which allows users to create a personalized greeting message when away, and automatically records Video mail messages left onto an SD card.

The award-winning model is also DLNA-certified, allowing users to enjoy content on their Blu-ray Disc player from a computer or other DLNA compatible device. An app available on the iTunes® store will allow users to access select and control DLNA content using their iPad**, iPhone® or iPodTouch® device as well.

Products entered in this prestigious program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers and journalists to honor outstanding design and engineering in consumer electronics products across 35 categories.

Sponsored by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, producer of International CES, the world's largest consumer technology tradeshow, the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976.

The Innovations entries are judged based on the following criteria:

Engineering qualities, based on technical specs and materials used
Aesthetic and design qualities
The product's intended use/function and user value
Unique/novel features that consumers would find attractive
How the design and innovation of the product compares to other products in the marketplace

Panasonic's DMP-BDT210 will be displayed at the Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center at the 2011 International CES, which runs January 6-9, 2011 in Las Vegas.

* Access to a broadband Internet connection is required to access VIERA CAST features.

**Made for iPod and Made for iPhone mean that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPod or iPhone respectively and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Please note tha the use of this accessory with iPod or iPhone may affect wireless performance. iPhone,

iPod, iPod classis, iPod nano and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc.

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company (PCEC), a market and technology leader in High Definition television, is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE: PC) and the hub of Panasonic's U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. Panasonic is pledged to practice prudent, sustainable use of the earth's natural resources and protect our environment through the company's Eco Ideas programs. Information about Panasonic products is available at www.panasonic.com. Additional company information for journalists is available at www.panasonic.com/pressroom.

# # #

Editorial Contacts

Martha Whiteley (Panasonic) 201.348-7781 martha.whiteley@us.panasonic.com

Blayne Murphy (Cohn & Wolfe) 212-798-9763 blayne.murphy@cohnwolfe.com

Chris De Maria (Panasonic) 201-348-7182 christopher.demaria@us.panasonic.com

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...42011015415694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 495 Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the new models will continue to offer the 3D Checkerboard Format as that is an issue for those of us who own 3D ready DLP HDTVs?
post #3 of 495 Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CES: Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray line gets 2D-to-3D conversion, Skype

by Matthew Moskovciak

LAS VEGAS--Panasonic is refreshing its line of 3D Blu-ray players in 2011, offering updates such 2D-to-3D conversion and more streaming services to its VieraCast online content portal. Details were scarce on all the new models, but here's the preliminary breakdown:

Key features of the Panasonic DMP-BDT110:

•Wi-Fi-ready (requires USB wireless LAN adapter sold separately)
•2D-to-3D conversion video processing
•Skype compatible (requires purchase of additional camera)
•DLNA compatible
•VieraCast suite of streaming media services (Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, Pandora, Twitter, Napster, CinemaNow)
•Can be controlled by iPhone app
•Available Spring 2011

Key step-up features of the Panasonic DMP-BDT210:

•Built-in Wi-Fi
•Touch-free sensor to open and close the disc tray

Key step-up features of the Panasonic DMP-BDT310:

•Dual HDMI outputs

Unfortunately a lot of the specifics are still unknown. As of now, it's unclear whether Panasonic's Blu-ray players will get access to the new Viera Connect app store announced its the company's press conference. The press release also mentions that the players will have "and access to popular sports sites NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS2", but doesn't specifically say if they'll feature those leagues streaming video services.

Similarly, although the touch-free sensor looked slick during Panasonic's press conference, there weren't any working demos on the show floor to try out the feature. We'll be looking for more information on these players as spring approach so we have a better idea of what Panasonic's line is offering.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-200...subscribe=true
post #4 of 495 Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to the Panasonic contacts listed on the Press Release asking about whether or not the new players would output Checkerboard but still no response.
post #5 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would like too see checkerboard also.
post #6 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post
I would like too see checkerboard also.
I guess you have a Samsung DLP? My understanding is that's pretty much the only "sub"-strata of consumers that really needs native checkerboard output: If you have a pre-2010 Mitsu, there's the 3DA-1 adapter. If you have a 2010 Mitsu, there's the 12.06 firmware that obviates the adapter for 3D BD. Because Mitsu has declined to have the 3DA-1 play friendly with Samsung displays, my understanding is that that is what therefore makes the Samsung DLP owners need native checkerboard output for 3D BD. In the words of Walter Sobchak, "Am I wrong?!"
post #7 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

I guess you have a Samsung DLP? My understanding is that's pretty much the only "sub"-strata of consumers that really needs native checkerboard output: If you have a pre-2010 Mitsu, there's the 3DA-1 adapter. If you have a 2010 Mitsu, there's the 12.06 firmware that obviates the adapter for 3D BD. Because Mitsu has declined to have the 3DA-1 play friendly with Samsung displays, my understanding is that that is what therefore makes the Samsung DLP owners need native checkerboard output for 3D BD. In the words of Walter Sobchak, "Am I wrong?!"

You are right and wrong. Mitsubishi manufacturers a Checkerboard Converter called the 3DA-1. The converter has to be hooked up directly to the Mitsubishi HDTV to work or you can use a HDMI 1.4 A/V Receiver as a switcher. A Checkerboard 3D signal can pass through an HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver. Therefore, Mitsubishi screwed over its own customers by putting EDID restrictions on the adapter. They can either not use their A/V Receivers as part of their system or upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 A/V Receiver.

Samsung DLP owners have been able to use the 3DA-1 by reprogramming their HDMI to that of Mitsubishi or using a Gefen Detective and cloning the HDMI of that device from a Mitsubishi. The audio from the 3DA-1 is limited to 2.0 PCM as I guess Mitsubishi in its wisdom did not believe anyone wanted to listen to anything greater than stereo sound. There is a whole lengthy discussion of this on the 3D Display Forum area but here are some of the issues in a nut shell. Please feel free to educate yourself over there if you are so inclined.

To sum it up, Checkerboard output is important to both Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP HDTV owners.
post #8 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Ill ask the Panny employee at the other site.

Ill have a new BDT110 coming with my VT30.
post #9 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 PM

He's pretty sure all will support checkerboard.
post #10 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a MITSUBISH WD65835.
post #11 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Condescending comments about educating myself aside, you appear to be using your specific circumstance as a point of departure to lambast Mitsu as having "screwed"/given the "shaft" to its customers based myopically on only your situation.

I guess you have other input sources than 3D BD? You haven't said. I'm not interested in sports broadcasting--I'm a movie buff. Before 12.06, I used the 3DA-1 for vid routed directly downstream via HDMI from my 3D BD player before routing to the telly with aud going to a receiver via 7.1 analog.

I'm sorry you're having issues, but the overcooked criticisms of the company because some folks bought sets waaaaay before the 3D BD spec--which is the only thing that has provided something of a "true north" while sailing on the 3D sea--was codified who are now verklempt that those sets are not necessarily playing friendly with various 3D sources is getting tiresome.

In sum, there are some consumers with 2010 Mitsu sets who are only watching 3D BD movies via HDMI straight to their display and 7.1 analog aud to their AVRs (in my case, it's eight years old) who are thereby not having any of the problems you are skewering Mitsu about.
post #12 of 495 Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Condescending comments about educating myself aside, you appear to be using your specific circumstance as a point of departure to lambast Mitsu as having "screwed"/given the "shaft" to its customers based myopically on only your situation.

I guess you have other input sources than 3D BD? You haven't said. I'm not interested in sports broadcasting--I'm a movie buff. Before 12.06, I used the 3DA-1 for vid routed directly downstream via HDMI from my 3D BD player before routing to the telly with aud going to a receiver via 7.1 analog.

I'm sorry you're having issues, but the overcooked criticisms of the company because some folks bought sets waaaaay before the 3D BD spec--which is the only thing that has provided something of a "true north" while sailing on the 3D sea--was codified who are now verklempt that those sets are not necessarily playing friendly with various 3D sources is getting tiresome.

In sum, there are some consumers with 2010 Mitsu sets who are only watching 3D BD movies via HDMI straight to their display and 7.1 analog aud to their AVRs (in my case, it's eight years old) who are thereby not having any of the problems you are skewering Mitsu about.

Mitsubishi created a product for its consumers while Samsung did nothing and therefore I must give a partial kudo to Mitsubishi. However, they crippled the potential of the 3DA-1 with their EDID restrictions. I have a DirecTv HR24-500 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 as my 3D sources. I also have a PS3 but I am not using it for 3D because doing so would be too complicated because of the limitations of the 3DA-1. My Panasonic DMP-BDT300 goes straight through my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver and then to my Samsung HL61A750 and the sound and video are flawless.

Now back on topic. According to sources it appears that the 2011 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players will also support Checkerboard. Thank you Panasonic for supporting 3D Ready DLP HDTV owners in a fashion that neither Samsung nor Mitsubishi have done.

Good companies strive to support the customer while bad companies make excuses why something can not be done.
post #13 of 495 Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to a knowledgeable source. The new players will no longer offer 7.1 analog outs and the analog outs will all be limited to 2.0.
post #14 of 495 Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

So the reason you're wanting native checkerboard output from a 3D BD player is because . . . you'd prefer to have your 3D BD player choices limited to Panasonic instead of using the 3DA-1 with whatever 3D BD player you could choose?
post #15 of 495 Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Thank you Panasonic for supporting 3D Ready DLP HDTV owners in a fashion that neither Samsung nor Mitsubishi have done.

Good companies strive to support the customer while bad companies make excuses why something can not be done.

To the extent I do "feel your pain," I also think you're painting with far too broad a brush in characterizing companies as "good" or "bad" based upon seemingly little other than your own personal experience/rubric.

If you think Panasonic was motivated by anything other than maximizing 3D BD player sales by having their decks output checkerboard, I'd disagree. I'd posit that was about profit and the corporate priority that 3D is for Panasonic moreso than "customer service." I also think it's problematic to analogize Panasonic's support of checkerboard output to the EDID situation in your "support" analysis. Thanks to the 3D BD spec, those decks can more readily play nice with all manner/brands of displays. That's not the case with the adapter. What happens when owners of Samsung and other DLP brands start blaming Mitsu for problems downstream from the adapter yet not related to Mitsu's product? Despite the existence of the 3D BD spec, look how many folks still have HDMI/HDCP/"handshake" issues. You or I may not like it, but limiting liability usually trumps (your definition of) customer service--this is not a new phenomena.

Is Mitsu a "bad" company after having given me and hundreds, perhaps thousands, of their 3D DLP customers the $400 retail value 3DC-1000 for "free"? I think I also have a second pair of free glasses on the way. I was able to sell my 3DA-1 for 100% profit. Hot on the heels of releasing the 3DA-1 they of course then released the 12.06 firmware, accomplishing the internal checkerboard conversion last year which many thought wouldn't be feasible until the 2011 models. Look at all the guys getting their light engines replaced with mostly (but certainly not exclusively) no rigmarole. I think there are some other ways in which Mitsu has been quite 'supportive' that complicate this notion of their being a "bad company."
post #16 of 495 Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Murray

Quote:

So the reason you're wanting native checkerboard output from a 3D BD player is because . . . you'd prefer to have your 3D BD player choices limited to Panasonic instead of using the 3DA-1 with whatever 3D BD player you could choose?

The 3DA-1 retails for $100. You can find a Panasonic DMP-BDT100 for around $150 and you get a free blu-ray of Avatar in 3D if the purchase is made between 1/2/11 - 3/26/11. The Panasonic will run in Checkerboard through an HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver to your 3D Ready DLP HDTV without any problems and give you all of your surround sound options. Another brand of 3D Blu-ray combined with a 3DA-1 purchase is more expensive and your sound through your HDMI connection to your HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver is limited to 2.0 stereo. In addition, even if you own a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP if you want to run the HDMI through your HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver you will need to buy a Gefen HDMI Detective which retails for $150. You could buy a HDMI 1.4 3D compliant A/V Receiver and use this as a switching device and enjoy all of your surround options in conjunction with the 3DA-1 but that will cost you several hundred to replace your current A/V Receiver. I am guessing some of these reasons might be why he likes the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players.

As soon as I hear of the suggested retail prices for the 2011 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players I will post the information here. I am hoping we will be able to keep this thread more on topic from this point on.
post #17 of 495 Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am guessing some of these reasons might be why he likes the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players.

As soon as I hear of the suggested retail prices for the 2011 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Players I will post the information here. I am hoping we will be able to keep this thread more on topic from this point on.

Ironic that you're engaging in a little topic policing whilst speaking on behalf of the person to whom the question was directed. Thanks for the info (and I'm well aware of the Avatar promo and the retail [and used] prices of the 3DA-1 and BDT100), but it's possible Daniel M. has his own reasons and I'd prefer to hear from him should he be so inclined, thanks.
post #18 of 495 Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It would be nice if Panasonic would incorporate the 2D - 3D Conversion to streaming services as well.
post #19 of 495 Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Any Idea on the prices on these 3 machines?
post #20 of 495 Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:

According to a knowledgeable source. The new players will no longer offer 7.1 analog outs and the analog outs will all be limited to 2.0.

so then if I have a non HDMI Receiver i cant use the new players? this sucks
post #21 of 495 Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpep13 View Post

Any Idea on the prices on these 3 machines?

I think the BDT110 is around $200, so go up from there.
post #22 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Productwiki.com lists the 310 at $279.99 which seems priced to low.
post #23 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Way too low IMO.
post #24 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Way too low IMO.

Why too low? Each generation of Panny players sells for less than the previous one. Not to mention that, from pics, the 310 doesn't seem as well built as the 350.

R
post #25 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 PM

From the pics? Really?

Regardless, Im just going off what Ive seen for the BDT110. It's at $200 if the numbers are right, so I see the 210 at $299 and the 310 at $349, but maybe it'll be $199, $249 and $299.
post #26 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Why too low? Each generation of Panny players sells for less than the previous one. Not to mention that, from pics, the 310 doesn't seem as well built as the 350.

R

I will trade someone my pristine DMP-BDT300 for a DMP-BDT310. I am willing to give up build quality for some sweet 2D-3D conversion.

I do not believe we will know about build quality until the players come out. However, we do know that the 7.1 analog audio outs will be gone and if that is important to you then the 2010 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players may be the way to go.

I am not joking about my offer by the way.
post #27 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM

I like the whole tray opening by hand motion thing
post #28 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:

I will trade someone my pristine DMP-BDT300 for a DMP-BDT310. I am willing to give up build quality for some sweet 2D-3D conversion.

I do not believe we will know about build quality until the players come out. However, we do know that the 7.1 analog audio outs will be gone and if that is important to you then the 2010 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players may be the way to go.

I am not joking about my offer by the way.

with the 7.1 gone so then these will not work to good with my non hdmi receiver?
post #29 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpep13 View Post

with the 7.1 gone so then these will not work to good with my non hdmi receiver?

You can run a toslink or probably a coaxial digital cable but your audio will be limited to Dolby Digital or DTS. As a Samsung DLP owner I am glad that Panasonic is continuing to support the 3D Checkerboard Format. I guess Panasonic ran the numbers and figured the number of non HDMI A/V Receivers did not justify the cost benefit analysis.
post #30 of 495 Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM

My samsung bdp-3600 has the 7.1- I guess I will look at the Panny bd-85 or the new Lg's coming out in March. Maybe the playstation 3-
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page