Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv990 View Post

Hey I'm planning to buy the Sony BDP S480 but only if it allows me to play Full HD MKVs and MP4 files that are encoded with H264 and AC3. So My question is does it support these formats through USB and a burnt DVD? also can I play such 3D files as well?
Please reply asap, need to make up my mind by tomorrow.
Thank you for all the help.
PS I don't really care for the entire DLNA hing so that isn't a problem but USB and DVD support with the above files is a must.

You should do a little reading about cinavia, which is included in the latest firmware update for this player. You may find it negates the features you want to take advantage of in this player.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I watched "The Skin I Live In" on Bluray friday night and paused it when someone called. It has Cinavia on it. When I hit play again after about 30 seconds the audio stopped playing. Nothing outside of a restart of the player would bring it back. Even plain MP4 videos would not play the audio. Apparently it shut down the whole audio system.

This is unacceptable and we need to create a protest over it. Time for Occupy Cinavia!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've the Sony bdp-s480 and Pioneer bdp-41fd. Can anyone just give me a quick lowdown on which is better? I've tried both and obviously the Sony has a better user interface. I will keep the Pioneer if it has a better picture quality.

We are going through a Pioneer SC-55 to a LG 55inch 3D set. Thanks

Sorry, didn't have time to research either. In the old days I used to read these forums about different players having different chipsets, etc....

adam
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
If you have both, why can't you judge for yourself?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 AM

time. also i've learned things from this forum that would help the average user make good decisions.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched "The Skin I Live In" on Bluray friday night and paused it when someone called. It has Cinavia on it. When I hit play again after about 30 seconds the audio stopped playing. Nothing outside of a restart of the player would bring it back. Even plain MP4 videos would not play the audio. Apparently it shut down the whole audio system.

This is unacceptable and we need to create a protest over it. Time for Occupy Cinavia!

My understanding of cinavia is that if you play a cinavia infected title on a player with cinavia infected firmware from what cinavia considers to not be a "trusted source" (basically most anything other than the original store bought disc) then it throws a message and shuts down the audio. I suggest trying those titles again, without pausing, and see if the player throws a cinavia message at you & shuts down the audio (probably 20 to 30 minutes into the feature, based on what I've read elsewhere).

Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Cinavia was probably rushed out, under tested and therefore very buggy. I can't think of any other reason why the title failed. The disc has been returned to Netflix for my next one so can't test it. Hollywood execs have a low opinion of the intelligence of the American public and I have a low opinion of the intelligence of Hollywood execs.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to downgrade the BDP s480 firmware from M07.R.0615 to its lower version? The problem is that the latest version includes Cinavia protection technology which stops practically all my blu rays discs which I've normally played before. Tried downgrading via disc by inserting the old firmware but it won't update as the current version is already uploaded. Tried resetting to factory default but latest firmware stays. I've read anotner owner complaining of similar error message. I know downgrade will remove the Cinavia into the system. Can someone help me how to downgrade or fix the cinavia issue? Will appreciate your help.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There is no way to downgrade.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladecutter_ph View Post

Is there a way to downgrade the BDP s480 firmware from M07.R.0615 to its lower version? The problem is that the latest version includes Cinavia protection technology which stops practically all my blu rays discs which I've normally played before. Tried downgrading via disc by inserting the old firmware but it won't update as the current version is already uploaded. Tried resetting to factory default but latest firmware stays. I've read anotner owner complaining of similar error message. I know downgrade will remove the Cinavia into the system. Can someone help me how to downgrade or fix the cinavia issue? Will appreciate your help.

Can you elaborate? What titles are incompatible with this firmware?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Thinking about getting this. I assume you can connect an iPod/iPhone thru the USB input in front. Will this unit display the song titles when playing? I have a CD player that does this.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I played a non-Cinavia disc the other night and it played OK. There must be a way of telling Cinavia the disc is enabled for it.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As I understand it, the Cinavia firmware infection should not prohibit playback of any commercially manufactured blu-ray played directly from within your player. If it is doing that - something is very wrong. It WILL throw error messages at you if you play a cinavia infected title via a copy or conversion of some sort (ripped titles on a server, copies of your titles on disc, etc.).
I know of no way to go backwards with a firmware version. And you know Sony won't help - they WANT you trapped on the cinavia infected firmware. They think they will sell millions of dollars of additional titles as a result of spending all this money with verance (the folks who invented cinavia). Expenditures on copy prevention and drm has never worked before for very long, and no one outside of the movie industry believes ripped titles on home servers or copies made at home will suddenly turn into purchases - but that has never stopped Sony before - they continue to chase the mythical pot of gold at the end of the DRM rainbow no matter what.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM

A week ago, my wife played Game of Thrones disc 5 with no trouble at all. Yesterday, I upgraded our BDP-S580 to M07.R.0615. Tonight, we tried to play that same disc - the status window went blank and it just sat there. The player would do nothing - no eject, no power off, nothing. It took unplugging the player 3 times - finally the disc loaded and played. Add me to the list of owners who are not happy with Sony for this latest "improvement".
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM

So let me get this straight. Sony created a perfectly good blu-ray player complete with DLNA so I can stream movies and even mkv support on a thumb drive. Now they added this Cinavia, which essentially makes all the file support and DLNA pointless at least on the Cinavia encoded discs. I wish I had paid better attention and just not downloaded the update, but I guess we'd eventually have to for disc support or nothing would play. I was even getting it to stream mkv files using mediamonkey 4, but after that update it doesn't work anymore.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU23 View Post

Thinking about getting this. I assume you can connect an iPod/iPhone thru the USB input in front. Will this unit display the song titles when playing? I have a CD player that does this.

I'll try that this evening and see if it works. Looks like you can share it over DLNA (assuming the blu-ray is connected to your home network as well as the iphone), but I haven't tried that either.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/media...335036887?mt=8
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU23 View Post

I plugged my iPod up to the 480 with USB and it didn't recognize it. However, if you use the iPhone and add that DLNA server app, it works like a champ.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM

So I must have been riding the ignorant bus lately and I was updating my player willy nilly, not realizing that I have shut myself out with this Cinevia BS. Nevertheless, this doesn't explain why the latest update(.0579) has seemingly screwed up my player (s480). It will play movies, but when you turn it off it and leave it alone, the display will blink "WAIT", forever. I just left it over night and it is still flashing wait. Anyone seen or experienced this? It's only happened after the latest update and I don't know what else it could be..

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

There is no way to downgrade.

I think it is very possible the tech's at Sony's repair facility are able to; at the very least re-flash firmware (something the end user cannot by simply sticking in a disc, trying to re-run the update process via the internet or from a thumb drive), it will say it's already updated. So if they can re-flash or overwrite the current firmware data stored are they first erasing the old, or simply writing over it? They can do it at the repair facility. So how exactly are they? One possibility is it's as simple as going into the service menu and using the hidden flashing/update option in there. I have some pictures posted on the BDP-S560/s360 & BDP-S370 threads from a few months ago.
Perhaps it's a bit more involved, I wasn't really up for turning around and farking up my re-flashed blu-ray player but it might be worth it to mess around a bit now. Unless someone knows for sure that-that service menu way doesn't work - either with a re-flash or trying to downgrade...
-----
Last year I had to send in an old Sony blu-ray player that was under warranty to get repaired. The last "upgrade" turned my old Sherman tank Sony BDP-S560 that played everything I ever tried BR & DVD into playing way less than 50% of the Blu-rays I tried. After talking with them on the phone (they of course could find no problem with their Sony Test BR's, but I said they had to re-flash the firmware otherwise the thing was not going to be much use to me broken.
Since it was shipped back, it now plays about 90-95% of the BR's I try, the main issue is with new one out of every 10 or so blu-rays that gives me the old familiar invalid disc error. And since that was likely the last firmware ever for that model I'll have to live with it, but it got me thinking and investigating whether I could return it to the rock solid FW version 8. I found the service manuals online, and someone was nice enough to post the service menu. The service menu has a setting for flashing the firmware and in the Service/repair manual I found the chip [this was a few months ago I think there was just one chip but I'd have to go back & look to be more clear on it, that was soo many side projects ago] that holds the firmware (physical chip) and it has a reset/clearing pin on it.

This was in regards to a different unit (my BDP-S560) than the one in this thread, but it likely parallels it. I stalled out (lack of knowledge) of how to actually do what the techs in Sony's Laredo repair facility do so I tried posting in various places seeking information or gem of all gems someone that works for Sony or has the technical knowledge to know what's needed but that never arrived. I felt I needed to understand at least the following things if not more before proceeding: Do they have a special piece of equipment? Do they simply short the pin to clear out the firmwares memory? Or would that leave you with a blank chip that needs to be programmed? (something I also could not do) rendering my unit useless.
When Sony's repair facility techs re-flash the firmware what exactly are the steps?

I have moved on past the BDP-S560 so I'd be willing if someone could explain from experience how it all works & if the end user could clear the memory / firmware and then reload the desired firmware I might be interested in trying.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 AM

how can i install an old firmware on my s480 blue ray. There must be a way to downgrade.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Please read the previous posts. There is no way for the end-user to downgrade.

I should mention on my 380, I was forced to update it before it would let me run any of the streaming services.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have an Oppo -93 BR player that I have owned for over a year now. A firmware around summer of last year allowed ISO playback of DVD and BluRay. They just removed the ISO ability with their latest firmware. I will not be updating the firmware on the Oppo in the future so I bought the Sony for the express purpose of playing those future Blu Rays that the Oppo won't play (bound to be some) and for Amazon Prime streaming. Now with the Cinevia issue, looks like I am stuck with the old firmware on the Sony. Guess I'll have to keep the Sony for Amazon prime and buy another player for future unplayable discs. This could get expensive. Sure am glad I read these forums.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi I also have the BDP-S480 and never used it for 3D. Recently I decided I would jump into the 3D world and purchased the Samsung 46D8000. Now I asked Sony before I bought this Tv would it be 100% with the player and they said yes but in fact it seems not. I bought Transformers Dark Of The Moon 3D Blu-Ray and when I try and play it I get a blue screen with a message saying I need a HDTV to look at this film basically. I have the player plugged directly into the Tv by a 1.4 HDMI 3D connection so anybody know what's the story there? Thanks and yes I am new so Hello to all
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGaR_l33t View Post

Hi I also have the BDP-S480 and never used it for 3D. Recently I decided I would jump into the 3D world and purchased the Samsung 46D8000. Now I asked Sony before I bought this Tv would it be 100% with the player and they said yes but in fact it seems not. I bought Transformers Dark Of The Moon 3D Blu-Ray and when I try and play it I get a blue screen with a message saying I need a HDTV to look at this film basically. I have the player plugged directly into the Tv by a 1.4 HDMI 3D connection so anybody know what's the story there? Thanks and yes I am new so Hello to all

I haven't tried the 3D with my Samsung 3D plasma set yet but as a starting point I would suggest you make sure the cable you are using is rated "high speed". You need a lot of bandwidth for bluray 3D and the older cables cannot handle it. I know it can be confusing but a 1.4 cable isn't necessarily "high speed" from my understanding of how cable companies can skirt around compliance with certain aspects of the standard and still call it 1.4 compliant. I would also check to make sure you have the TV set to receive 3D before handshaking with the player begins but it shouldn't really matter. Other than that, just make sure you have 1080p resolution set on both the set and the player.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 AM

1.5METER PRO GOLD (1.4a Version, 3D, 15.2Gbps) HDMI TO HDMI CABLE WITH ETHERNET,COMPATIBLE WITH 1.3c,1.3b,1.3,1080P,PS3,XBOX 360,SKYHD,VIRGIN BOX,FULL HD LCD,PLASMA & LED TV's AND ALSO SUPPORTS 3D TVS.

Those are the cables I am using and I have everything set up for 3D as in what you have suggested. Still no joy Thanks for your reply and good advice
Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
RyGaR,

What is the exact text of the error message? Sometimes the details of an error message are much more meaningful than they first seem to be.

A possibility is that the EDID device information is not getting from the TV to the player due to a broken connector. Try a different cable and a different HDMI port on the TV. Be sure both devices are powered off when you change cable connections. HDMI circuitry is fragile and easily damaged by the briefest incorrect connection.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 AM

This Blu-ray 3D Disc requires a compatible 3D HDTV & Blu-Ray player or a Blu-Ray player that has been upgraded with the necessary firmware to allow 3D film Playback. 2D playback is not available via this disc.

That's the message I get man and I have changed cables etc and still no joy. Really don't know what I am doing wrong Have been in contact with both Samsung and Sony and have tried their advice on how to sort this problem but still the message I get. Thanks for your reply
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
As the message suggests, the next thing to do is to make sure that both the player and the TV have up-to-date firmware. Visit the manufacturers' Web sites and compare their current firmware revision numbers which what is in the equipment.

I suspect that the message is being generated by the java software that the disc has loaded into the player. Perhaps there is a flaw in its 3D detection algorithm. A quick Web search didn't seem to turn up anyone else with a similar problem with that BD, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGaR_l33t View Post

This Blu-ray 3D Disc requires a compatible 3D HDTV & Blu-Ray player or a Blu-Ray player that has been upgraded with the necessary firmware to allow 3D film Playback. 2D playback is not available via this disc.

That's the message I get man and I have changed cables etc and still no joy. Really don't know what I am doing wrong Have been in contact with both Samsung and Sony and have tried their advice on how to sort this problem but still the message I get. Thanks for your reply

Also, try another 3D disc (of the same movie and maybe even try a different movie) and see what happens. Could be the disc is damaged or incompatible with the firmware in the player/tv. It is rare but I have purchased discs that were corrupt and the solution was simply to try another disc of the same movie. Like computer data, those discs can get corrupted.

Are you able to play non-3D discs in 1080P resolution?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Yeah both Samsung 46D8000 Tv and Sony BDP-S480 have up to date firmware and yeah I can play everything else no problem at 1080p. I don't have another 3D Blu-Ray film as only new to 3D and to be honest afraid to buy another one cause it might not work also Thanks to all your replies and help.

Tags
mp4 blu-ray dvd playback hardware