Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here - Page 8 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here

Blu-ray Players

RyGaR_l33t's Avatar RyGaR_l33t
09:19 AM Liked: 10
post #211 of 287
05-07-2012 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

A quick Web search didn't seem to turn up anyone else with a similar problem with that BD, though.

Yeah I know man that's why it is so frustrating....just don't understand it at all.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
09:27 AM Liked: 497
post #212 of 287
05-07-2012 | Posts: 7,619
One final thing: check to make sure that 3D actually is enabled in the player and TV. For example, in the BD player's Settings menu, make sure that Screen Settings menu entry 3D Output is set to Auto.
09:32 AM Liked: 10
post #213 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

One final thing: check to make sure that 3D actually is enabled in the player and TV. For example, in the BD player's Settings menu, make sure that Screen Settings menu entry 3D Output is set to Auto.

Yeah it's at Auto and I have tried turning off and on with the Tv as advised by Samsung but still no go. Sure may buy another 3D film and see what happens
WillyJ's Avatar WillyJ
10:44 AM Liked: 71
post #214 of 287
05-07-2012 | Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGaR_l33t View Post

Yeah it's at Auto and I have tried turning off and on with the Tv as advised by Samsung but still no go. Sure may buy another 3D film and see what happens

You know, this is just another thought, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence but did the player actually stop and refuse to go any further after you got that screen warning?

Reason I ask is that I get a similar message as a warning but then it eventually plays the disc. Just a shot in the dark..........
11:06 AM Liked: 10
post #215 of 287
You can insult my intelligence all you want man if it fix's the issue but yeah I have left it for 20 min's once just to see what it would do but it just plays the message over and over....
Punker1234's Avatar Punker1234
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #216 of 287
05-13-2012 | Posts: 37
Hey folks.

I recently picked up this player with a deal on my TV and was stoked on the prospect of all the features. However, I just now realize that it does NOT have built in wireless... sadly my router isn't anywhere near my TV.

Can I use any adapter? Or does it have to be a Sony adapter? Alternatively, can i somehow use the WIFI on my Sony TV to have this player connected?

Thanks for the help. -Jeff
WillyJ's Avatar WillyJ
07:08 AM Liked: 71
post #217 of 287
05-14-2012 | Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker1234 View Post

Hey folks.

I recently picked up this player with a deal on my TV and was stoked on the prospect of all the features. However, I just now realize that it does NOT have built in wireless... sadly my router isn't anywhere near my TV.

Can I use any adapter? Or does it have to be a Sony adapter? Alternatively, can i somehow use the WIFI on my Sony TV to have this player connected?

Thanks for the help. -Jeff

Yeah, we must have mis-read the same details about the player or bought it from the same place as I too thought it came with built-in Wi-Fi.

It does work great as a streamer - so far my wife is using it almost every day with Amazon On Demand and I enjoyed the Slacker radio this weekend. So, you may want to think about running a dedicated ethernet wire to the player anyway if you will do any heavy lifting with it - I haven't had very good success with wi-fi streaming with any of my devices.

"Probably" have to use the wi-fi made for the player but you may pickup one cheap on eBay or somewhere. Not sure if all Sony players use the same one but you could verify this easily by just looking at the model numbers of the wifi adapters.
Wolfpacker96's Avatar Wolfpacker96
08:19 AM Liked: 10
post #218 of 287
05-15-2012 | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Yeah, we must have mis-read the same details about the player or bought it from the same place as I too thought it came with built-in Wi-Fi.

It does work great as a streamer - so far my wife is using it almost every day with Amazon On Demand and I enjoyed the Slacker radio this weekend. So, you may want to think about running a dedicated ethernet wire to the player anyway if you will do any heavy lifting with it - I haven't had very good success with wi-fi streaming with any of my devices.

"Probably" have to use the wi-fi made for the player but you may pickup one cheap on eBay or somewhere. Not sure if all Sony players use the same one but you could verify this easily by just looking at the model numbers of the wifi adapters.

No, you don't have to have the Sony adapter. Most routers can be used as a wireless bridge/repeater and you'll also have multiple ports so you can hook up other non-wireless devices. You probably need to have a "N" device if you want to stream video from your PC to the blu-ray. I use this, but it's a few years old and not available new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122250

Basically, any wireless adapter and/or bridge/repeater that is NOT a USB adapter will work. None of the USB adapters but the Sony work as far as I know.

This one only has one port, but it's pretty inexpensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156295

The Sony USB adapter costs about $75, so the TRENDNet a lot cheaper than that.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-UWABR100-.../dp/B003E8GQ62

This looks like the NetGear update to the one I have. It has 4 ports which is nice and not that much more than the one above. Only has mediocre reviews though. My older model works flawlessly. And I can get internet to my XBox and Dish Network devices as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122376
08:39 AM Liked: 10
post #219 of 287
05-15-2012 | Posts: 47
Well this little sucker can be setup as a repeater, has 4 ports, and is REALLY cheap. Not the fastest "n" speed out there, but, for $25.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166064
andyross63's Avatar andyross63
07:08 AM Liked: 35
post #220 of 287
05-20-2012 | Posts: 2,722
Noticed that there is a new 620 firmware:
Quote:

File Description UPDATE Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 5/18/2012 Version M07.R.0620 File Size 70.77 MB
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M07.R.0620 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0615:
  • Improves BD-ROM playability

Fussy McFuss's Avatar Fussy McFuss
05:22 PM Liked: 10
post #221 of 287
05-20-2012 | Posts: 1
Maybe I scanned through the last eight pages too quickly, but I didn't see a mention of a "disc invalid" error, so I thought I'd add this:

For no reason I know of, the player stopped reading BDs and DVDs. The display would say "disc invalid", and numerous shutdowns and restarts got me nowhere.

I was about to upgrade the firmware from a CD-R when I noticed the Quick Start setting, and turned it off. That seemed to have solved the problem without having to do any upgrades.
01:21 PM Liked: 10
post #222 of 287
05-27-2012 | Posts: 47
Interesting. I never use the Quick Start. I might turn it on to see if I have any issues.
03:33 PM Liked: 10
post #223 of 287
07-18-2012 | Posts: 47
I was wondering if anyone else has Netflix streaming issues or if I'm having an issue with my network or ISP. Almost anything we watch comes to a halt at least once during playback to buffer. Usually the speed drops to 0.3 mb/s and won't go back up. i have to close the Netflix app and restart it. Go back to the show and I'm immediately getting over 6.0 mb/s and it starts right up. I used to watch Netflix over my Xbox, but I let my Gold membership run out and it seemed senseless to be paying $50 a year just for access to Netflix when I can get it for no extra charge with my blu-ray player. Through the Xbox I very rarely had buffering issues and it's hooked up the exact same way. I'm connected over wireless N (5Ghz channel) through a netgear access point. Vudu and youtube seems to work fine, but I don't use them nearly as often. When I test my Xbox connection through the same wireless access point, I max out the test. And I don't have anything else on the 5Ghz channel to interfere. I'm betting it's a sony problem, but curious if anyone else has issues. Please respond if you use Netflix! Thanks!

P.S. Oh, I have no Netflix streaming issues on any of my PCs either, even laptops on the G network.
fcsmith's Avatar fcsmith
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #224 of 287
07-18-2012 | Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker96 View Post

I was wondering if anyone else has Netflix streaming issues or if I'm having an issue with my network or ISP. Almost anything we watch comes to a halt at least once during playback to buffer. Usually the speed drops to 0.3 mb/s and won't go back up. i have to close the Netflix app and restart it. Go back to the show and I'm immediately getting over 6.0 mb/s and it starts right up. I used to watch Netflix over my Xbox, but I let my Gold membership run out and it seemed senseless to be paying $50 a year just for access to Netflix when I can get it for no extra charge with my blu-ray player. Through the Xbox I very rarely had buffering issues and it's hooked up the exact same way. I'm connected over wireless N (5Ghz channel) through a netgear access point. Vudu and youtube seems to work fine, but I don't use them nearly as often. When I test my Xbox connection through the same wireless access point, I max out the test. And I don't have anything else on the 5Ghz channel to interfere. I'm betting it's a sony problem, but curious if anyone else has issues. Please respond if you use Netflix! Thanks!
P.S. Oh, I have no Netflix streaming issues on any of my PCs either, even laptops on the G network.
I have the same problem with my s480. In addition to the problem with Netflix, it also does a very poor job with Hulu Plus (which I described in a previous post). I have a PS3 and a Panasonic Blu-ray player in other rooms of the house, and they never have these problems.
01:16 PM Liked: 10
post #225 of 287
07-19-2012 | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post

I have the same problem with my s480. In addition to the problem with Netflix, it also does a very poor job with Hulu Plus (which I described in a previous post). I have a PS3 and a Panasonic Blu-ray player in other rooms of the house, and they never have these problems.

Thanks. I guess it's just something we'll have to deal with or buy something else.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad
02:07 PM Liked: 171
post #226 of 287
07-20-2012 | Posts: 4,240
I had similar problems last January when I first got the player. Either here or on some other forum the problem was mentioned and it was due to Sony's DNS server not being that good. I changed to Google's and have not had a problem since except for an occasional one which seem to be due network congestion (i.e. school vacation weekends).
04:29 PM Liked: 35
post #227 of 287
07-20-2012 | Posts: 2,722
The player should not be using a Sony DNS server. It should be using whatever DNS your router tells it to use . It could either be the router itself, or your ISP's if the router passes the addresses through.
12:02 AM Liked: 10
post #228 of 287
07-21-2012 | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I had similar problems last January when I first got the player. Either here or on some other forum the problem was mentioned and it was due to Sony's DNS server not being that good. I changed to Google's and have not had a problem since except for an occasional one which seem to be due network congestion (i.e. school vacation weekends).

I changed the DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Is that what you're talking about? It seemed to work a bit better, but I still had a few buffering issues. Was there anything else that needed to be changed besides the DNS?
12:05 AM Liked: 10
post #229 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

The player should not be using a Sony DNS server. It should be using whatever DNS your router tells it to use . It could either be the router itself, or your ISP's if the router passes the addresses through.

Now the router is set to Automatic. Should it be changed to Google's as well?
01:30 PM Liked: 171
post #230 of 287
07-21-2012 | Posts: 4,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Apparently the manufacturers may be wanting to track your viewing and that's why their default DNS is their servers not a pass through. When I first got the 480 it could sometimes take as long as 20 minutes to even connect with Netflix. That was ridiculous because my previous Samsung player did not have that problem. Once I changed to the Google DNS server it went away. This problem was reported by others elsewhere and changing to another DNS server like Google or OpenDNS solved it for folks. These Sony players also have other settings that may be causing problems too so be aware of that. The Samsung player was much simpler for connecting.
03:43 PM Liked: 10
post #231 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Apparently the manufacturers may be wanting to track your viewing and that's why their default DNS is their servers not a pass through. When I first got the 480 it could sometimes take as long as 20 minutes to even connect with Netflix. That was ridiculous because my previous Samsung player did not have that problem. Once I changed to the Google DNS server it went away. This problem was reported by others elsewhere and changing to another DNS server like Google or OpenDNS solved it for folks. These Sony players also have other settings that may be causing problems too so be aware of that. The Samsung player was much simpler for connecting.

I was reading back through old posts for other sony blu-ray players and it seems like half tell you to change it and the other half say never change. I guess it's not hurting anything to play with it. Circumstantial evidence, but two night of it being on Google's DNS in my case have made it work somewhat better. Some buffering issues still, but overall seems to be a more steady stream. Getting over 9 Mbs sometimes, but averages about 4.5.
03:47 PM Liked: 10
post #232 of 287
Others were saying by changing it to Google's DNS, netflix no longer knows your location so it may pick a server that is not near to your location. What if I just force it to be my ISP's DNS? Wouldn't that be the best way to do it?
12:45 PM Liked: 10
post #233 of 287
07-22-2012 | Posts: 47
Well, working better until today. Now back to crap. Lots of pauses and dropping connections. I think I'll just get my Gold Xbox back and be done with it. I don't understand why Xbox charges you when PS3 or Wii don't.
01:19 PM Liked: 171
post #234 of 287
07-22-2012 | Posts: 4,240
For what it's worth it might also depend on your Internet provider. I was on regular AT&T Broadband and since U-Verse is available in the neighbourhood to save money on the land line I switched to it. With the promo in the switch I also got broadband speed twice as fast. I also note that I see far less rebuffering than I did on must regular broadband. Also Netflix learned some things from the outage (there's a blog article on their site about that) and about load balancing.
03:54 PM Liked: 10
post #235 of 287
07-23-2012 | Posts: 47
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the ISP. I can watch Netflix with no lag at all on my PC and it used to almost never have issues on the Xbox when I was using it. Same ISP the whole time, Earthlink Cable (via Time Warner) and i haven't changed my plan. Maybe it has something to do with the memory capacity in the Sony? Can't store as much of a buffer? Who knows.
01:21 PM Liked: 171
post #236 of 287
08-09-2012 | Posts: 4,240
Sony seems to be taking a page from Microsoft as just after I had started a movie on Netflix it put up an overlay saying a new upgrade was available. I don't know if they've been doing it all along but I've never had it do that before. I dismissed the overlay and finished the movie and then did the update.
04:28 PM Liked: 35
post #237 of 287
08-09-2012 | Posts: 2,722
You were lucky and it didn't detect it at first. I've found on my related 380 that once an update is available, you MUST install it before it will let you run any services.

Here is the update notes, which is also available online:
Quote:
UPDATE Blu-ray Disc™ Player Firmware Upgrade
Release Date 8/08/2012 Version M07.R.0624 File Size 70.79 MB
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M07.R.0624 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0620:

Improves BD-ROM playability
Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video playability

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS480&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab
naveengudeti's Avatar naveengudeti
08:38 AM Liked: 10
post #238 of 287
10-27-2012 | Posts: 1
I am having problem with my S480, when switched ON, on my Sony EX473, it shows "Sony Blu ray disc" and shows the blue curves for a while and nothing happens. The player panel shows video is playing but nothing is appearing on TV.
The home button on the player remote isn't showing anything in the TV.
Has anyone seen this issue earlier?

Thanks
08:45 AM Liked: 10
post #239 of 287
10-28-2012 | Posts: 47
I've found when I've had errors, just do a hard reboot, like you do with your router or PC. Either unplug it from the wall and wait a 30 or 45 sec and plug it in, or, with it on, hold the power button down until it reboots itself. That's worked for me.
HaTTr1ck's Avatar HaTTr1ck
07:32 AM Liked: 10
post #240 of 287
10-30-2012 | Posts: 1
I've a Problem with my two players (S480 and S580). I've tried to play my .mkv videos with it. Both players play the movies, but they don't show my the subtitles. If i play the movies on my notebook, the subtitles works perfectly.

What is the problem? I stream the movies over my Router (Asus N66U - DLNA). How can i solve this issue? mad.gif
Tags: mp4 blu-ray dvd playback hardware

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread