Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
Kevin Johnson's Avatar Kevin Johnson 02:45 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
I have the Arcam AV9 processor Arcam P7 power amp Arcam CD37 SACD player and Dali helicon 400 speakers. Had the denon 3930 DVD and denon 3800bd got the oppo 83se that was a lot better than the denon players more open and the bass was mare controlled .the Arcam CD player is better than both the denon players. I prefer the oppo 83se to the Arcam CD player. Sold the oppo83se and going to get the oppo95 cant wait. That is just my opinion it just sounds rite in my system
And there you have it. Different ear, system, room, and personal disposition. Plus we all have opinions....of course, opinions are like... Happy hour bell just rang.

moglia's Avatar moglia 02:48 PM 02-04-2011
I have a question about something that was touched upon pages back; Analog Bass Management [ABM] :

My Front speakers are very large, my center and surround are medium so no reason my sub needs to take all the load. I currently have my digital crossover at 30 for my front [I'd go 20 if I could as my fronts can go down to 15] and center at rear at 60 and 80.

What are the ABM capabilities of the BDP-95 or does the onus solely lie externally?

Since I'll be using direct or pure direct mode to take advantage of the SABRE32 DACs ABM will not be an option at the receiver / amp layer. I do have an 'extra' Outlaw ICBM1 boxed up that I could press into service if needed.

Any thoughts or info?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:09 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post
thanks for the tip... 93 it is.... is the 93 much better then the PS3? does it offer any significant advantage?
In my opinion, yes the 93 is better. If you go to either the 83 or 93 threads you'll find links in the first post of each to FAQ files which contain some general comments on player comparisons.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:13 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moglia View Post
I have a question about something that was touched upon pages back; Analog Bass Management [ABM] :

My Front speakers are very large, my center and surround are medium so no reason my sub needs to take all the load. I currently have my digital crossover at 30 for my front [I'd go 20 if I could as my fronts can go down to 15] and center at rear at 60 and 80.

What are the ABM capabilities of the BDP-95 or does the onus solely lie externally?

Since I'll be using direct or pure direct mode to take advantage of the SABRE32 DACs ABM will not be an option at the receiver / amp layer. I do have an 'extra' Outlaw ICBM1 boxed up that I could press into service if needed.

Any thoughts or info?
The Manual for the 95 is available for download from Oppo's site.

The 95 provides an adjustable crossover, but the value you set applies to ALL speakers set to "Small". You can't set different crossover frequencies for different speakers. The Oppo allows you to set speakers to "Large" meaning no bass steering to the sub at all, or "Small" meaning bass is steered to the sub according to the crossover value you have selected. You could, for example set LF/RF to "Large" and the other speakers to "Small". Then with, say, an 80Hz crossover, the small speakers will pretty much do the bass steering you are doing now, and the full range of content will go to LF/RF with no bass steering whatsoever.
--Bob
moglia's Avatar moglia 03:16 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Manual for the 95 is available for download from Oppo's site.

The 95 provides an adjustable crossover, but the value you set applies to ALL speakers set to "Small". You can't set different crossover frequencies for different speakers. The Oppo allows you to set speakers to "Large" meaning no bass steering to the sub at all, or "Small" meaning bass is steered to the sub according to the crossover value you have selected.
--Bob
Thanks Bob, I'll download it now.

The crossover specs will determine if I use the Outlaw or not. I probably will after all it does no good boxed up in storage.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:34 PM 02-04-2011
While you are in there, also check out the limitations on speaker distance adjustment. Simply put: No speaker can be set further away than LF/RF.

This is more of a problem than the bass management, and may be the thing that pushes you to an external solution.

(For any HDMI audio users reading this: Bass Management and Speaker Distance Adjustment are for the multi-channel analog outputs ONLY. If you are using Optical, Coax, or HDMI audio -- or even the stereo analog outputs on the 95, this stuff does not apply. HDMI audio users get this stuff done in their HDMI AVR -- these settings in the player have no effect on the HDMI audio output from the player. Effectively every channel of HDMI output is treated as if it were "Large" and they were all equidistant. Down-mixing DOES happen on HDMI, but it happens automatically according to the HDMI handshake. The down-mix setting in Setup in the player ALSO only applies to the multi-channel analog outputs.)
--Bob
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 04:05 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post
i really enjoy hearing the comments from those comparing the oppo to transports and/or dacs that cost 2, 3 or 4 times its cost, but only as a benchmark. I think some are expecting or hoping the bdp-95 will best or equal transports costing 2, 3 or 4 times its cost. However, that would not be my expectation. The one poster who compared the bdp-95 to a benchmark dac1 hdr ($1,895.00) and a marantz sa-7s1 ($5,999.00) and stated that the bdp-95 fell short, but was very good is a huge plus for the bdp-95 in my opinion considering the cost difference and one of the items is a dedicated dac.:d

i think one poster compared the bdp-95 to a denon dvd-3910ci (i think) and preferred the warm sound of the denon versus the analytical (i think that's the word he used) sound of the oppo, which was a fair assessment for his setup. Some may have taken this to mean that the denon was better as opposed to his preference.

The fact that the bdp-95 uses sabres best dacs doesn't mean it will outperform other transports with lesser dacs based on their respective specs.

As you stated i'm more interested in comparisons to other players in its price range as opposed to transports optimized strictly for music (sacd/cd) costing 2, 3 or 4 times its cost.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

willie
+1
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi 04:53 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock View Post
Willie, Did you read the "OPPO 95 Anticipation Thread". The 95 was touted as the Audiophile player of 2011, being compared to players two to three times as much in cost, amongst other claims.
dj,

I read the "OPPO 95 Anticipation Thread" and I didn't see any direct quotes from someone representing Oppo make this claim (Audiophile player of 2011). I just glanced over the Preliminary Features/Specs on the Oppo website and I still don't see such a claim. I think some may have taken the sum of the parts and drew their own conclusions and their expectations.

Can you point me to those specific claims?

Willie
djwobbrock's Avatar djwobbrock 05:26 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
dj,

I read the "OPPO 95 Anticipation Thread" and I didn't see any direct quotes from someone representing Oppo make this claim (Audiophile player of 2011). I just glanced over the Preliminary Features/Specs on the Oppo website and I still don't see such a claim. I think some may have taken the sum of the parts and drew their own conclusions and their expectations.

Can you point me to those specific claims?
Quote:
Willie
Willie, I didn't say that the claim came from OPPO! Here are a couple of links where it was mentioned (touted). I did read several other similar references.

http://www.oppodigital.com/press/

http://www.oppo.co.nz

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ay-player.html

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi 07:38 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock View Post

[i]

Willie, I didn't say that the claim came from OPPO! Here are a couple of links where it was mentioned (touted). I did read several other similar references.

http://www.oppodigital.com/press/

http://www.oppo.co.nz

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ay-player.html

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

dj,

Thanks for the links and a few of them I had already read. However, I took those early comments with a grain of salt since the player wasn't available to the public and these were just some early observations from a handful of reviewers. However, I do note the reference that you are referring too. It may just well "Be 2011's Blu-ray Player of the Year" per Music Direct, but not in January or February.

Willie
PugetsoundHD's Avatar PugetsoundHD 08:41 PM 02-04-2011
Received the 95 at 9 AM Wed. morning, opened it up a bit later to bring it to RT. Installed into the stereo system at 3 PM. At 8 PM took first listen using tracks #1 & 7 on Stockfisch Closer to the Music SACD. First impression was the 95 had slightly better defined bass, was slightly more dimensional with slightly sweeter vocals. Later that evening started listening to track #1 again, then 2, then 3...and couldn't stop. First time I've heard every word in the songs and no listener fatigue. Could have kept listening and listening...well you get the picture. Totally mesmerized and slept like a baby.

Let the 95 warm up O/N with plans to do further listening yesterday but all I had time for was to do a level check and found the stereo outputs of both the 83SE and 95 essentially equal in volume.

Today sat down for a longer listening session having throughly warmed up the system over several hours. Used two identical USHER: Be There CDs. Listened extensively to tracks 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Voices proved slightly sweeter using the 95 with a hint of edginess on the 83SE. The 83 placed the voices further forward while the 95 gave more depth. The 95 was slightly more dimensional and transparent.

Equipment used included a preamp and amps from AudioPrism and JM Lab Electra 946 speakers. Interconnects from the 83 & 95 to the pre are Music Metre Silvers while the interconnects from the pre to the amp and the speaker wires are sourced from Red Rose Music (formerly AudioPrism). Power conditioning and equipment isolation were used as well.

So, should you throw out your 83SE? Of course, that is up to you. Notice that the differences we heard are slightly in favor of the 95. Not dramatic. We'll be keeping the 95 which will become the source component for our audio and A/V systems. The 83 stays for now until we decide which we prefer for SD video playback awaiting further tweaking of the 95's firmware. And remember we preferred the 83SE over a Cambridge 840C CD only player.

In the future will compare MC analog out but this is not a high priority although previously we found we preferred the 83SE over our 93. I hope to talk a friend with a very high resolution stereo system into letting us check out the 95 on it using balanced outputs. Should we do so we'll let you know our conclusions.

In the meantime, enjoy the music whichever Oppo you have!

Under cloudy but snowless Seattle skies, Gill
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 09:22 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Received the 95 at 9 AM Wed. morning, opened it up a bit later to bring it to RT. Installed into the stereo system at 3 PM. At 8 PM took first listen using tracks #1 & 7 on Stockfisch Closer to the Music SACD. First impression was the 95 had slightly better defined bass, was slightly more dimensional with slightly sweeter vocals. Later that evening started listening to track #1 again, then 2, then 3...and couldn't stop. First time I've heard every word in the songs and no listener fatigue. Could have kept listening and listening...well you get the picture. Totally mesmerized and slept like a baby.

Let the 95 warm up O/N with plans to do further listening yesterday but all I had time for was to do a level check and found the stereo outputs of both the 83SE and 95 essentially equal in volume.

Today sat down for a longer listening session having throughly warmed up the system over several hours. Used two identical USHER: Be There CDs. Listened extensively to tracks 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Voices proved slightly sweeter using the 95 with a hint of edginess on the 83SE. The 83 placed the voices further forward while the 95 gave more depth. The 95 was slightly more dimensional and transparent.

Equipment used included a preamp and amps from AudioPrism and JM Lab Electra 946 speakers. Interconnects from the 83 & 95 to the pre are Music Metre Silvers while the interconnects from the pre to the amp and the speaker wires are sourced from Red Rose Music (formerly AudioPrism). Power conditioning and equipment isolation were used as well.

So, should you throw out your 83SE? Of course, that is up to you. Notice that the differences we heard are slightly in favor of the 95. Not dramatic. We'll be keeping the 95 which will become the source component for our audio and A/V systems. The 83 stays for now until we decide which we prefer for SD video playback awaiting further tweaking of the 95's firmware. And remember we preferred the 83SE over a Cambridge 840C CD only player.

In the future will compare MC analog out but this is not a high priority although previously we found we preferred the 83SE over our 93. I hope to talk a friend with a very high resolution stereo system into letting us check out the 95 on it using balanced outputs. Should we do so we'll let you know our conclusions.

Thanks Gill...Great and honest review. Look forward to your reviews in the future.
Styln's Avatar Styln 09:22 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Nice review, Gill! Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Very interested to hear how it fairs on your friends system.

As a fellow SE owner, this is pretty much what I expected. Slightly better for stereo which is about 80% of my music collection and definitely better for MCH (I'm prognosticating here).

Glad you are happy with the new purchase. Sounds like a winner and if I was in the market for a new universal player, it's the one I'd buy/try. But I'm not. Instead, I'm in the market for an audiophile quality music streamer with superb ease of use. So to answer your teaser: I'm keeping the SE for now.

Thanks again, great read

Styln
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 09:45 PM 02-04-2011
Looking closely at the 95 audio board, I noticed plenty of empty jumpers for capacitors, i think (according to their reference designators anyways).

Anyone care to venture why they are there or what they could be for? Relics of a prior design or future mod by Oppo?
LL
Styln's Avatar Styln 09:55 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Looking closely at the 95 audio board, I noticed plenty of empty jumpers for capacitors, i think (according to their reference designators anyways).

Anyone care to venture why they are there or what they could be for? Relics of a prior design or future mod by Oppo?

Looks like the "missing" parts are caps, near those clear (polystyrene?) caps we discussed earlier. Could be an optimization where they replaced two caps with one. Or, the caps could be on the back side.

Or, they could have just forgotten to put all the parts in. That happened to me, working on the car last weekend. Still runs great though

Styln
richmond5's Avatar richmond5 09:56 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Nice review, Gill! Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Very interested to hear how it fairs on your friends system.

As a fellow SE owner, this is pretty much what I expected. Slightly better for stereo which is about 80% of my music collection and definitely better for MCH (I'm prognosticating here).

Glad you are happy with the new purchase. Sounds like a winner and if I was in the market for a new universal player, it's the one I'd buy/try. But I'm not. Instead, I'm in the market for an audiophile quality music streamer with superb ease of use. So to answer your teaser: I'm keeping the SE for now.

Thanks again, great read

Styln

With the fact that 95 reads FLAC, wouldn't qualify it as an audiophile music streamer? With media server, I found the 83SE is pretty easy to use. Although become of transcoding, I don't find the sound quality too audiophile!

Alex
moglia's Avatar moglia 10:05 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

While you are in there, also check out the limitations on speaker distance adjustment. Simply put: No speaker can be set further away than LF/RF.

--Bob

Why is that anyway. Rather dimwitted IMHO. Would it kill OPPO to allow that to be manually adjustable so I can properly contour the settings to my room.
Styln's Avatar Styln 10:14 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

With the fact that 95 reads FLAC, wouldn't qualify it as an audiophile music streamer? With media server, I found the 83SE is pretty easy to use. Although become of transcoding, I don't find the sound quality too audiophile!

Alex

Alex, we have different requirements for the definition of "Ease of Use." I'm looking for a point and click interface to stream my growing 24/96 flac collection. Something like this:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=20897

Pretty cool, eh

Just can't see continuing to buy HD Tracks downloads and/or converting my CDs to FLAC without a truly easy to use GUI. Now we are in agreement the 95 is very close, and certainly much much closer than the SE. But no way can I buy it with the "experimental" streaming interface available today.

Styln
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:29 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moglia View Post

Why is that anyway. Rather dimwitted IMHO. Would it kill OPPO to allow that to be manually adjustable so I can properly contour the settings to my room.

Apparently it has to do with some Dolby guidelines as well as the desire to not apply any processing to LF/RF. Anyway, it's definitely something folks need to keep in mind if they are setting up multi-channel analog.
--Bob
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 11:03 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:

Looks like the "missing" parts are caps, near those clear (polystyrene?) caps we discussed earlier. Could be an optimization where they replaced two caps with one. Or, the caps could be on the back side.

Or, they could have just forgotten to put all the parts in. That happened to me, working on the car last weekend. Still runs great though

Styln

Lol ...You drive a car minus a "few" parts? Ha! You must live dangerously. Myself knowing practically nothing about cars, except to gas it up, change the oil plus wash it (whenever...), i'd NEVER be able to breath right in a car like yours.
gsr's Avatar gsr 11:14 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:

Lol ...You drive a car minus a "few" parts? Ha! You must live dangerously. Myself knowing practically nothing about cars, except to gas it up, change the oil plus wash it (whenever...), i'd NEVER be able to breath right in a car like yours.

I'd just want to know if the missing parts are things like the volume knob for the stereo or something a little more important such as engine mounts or brake pads .
Styln's Avatar Styln 11:14 PM 02-04-2011
Quote:

Me either - it was my son's car

JK, perfectly safe as it was only a door panel clip from a speaker replacement.

Looking at that picture again. I see all the caps right in front of the outputs are either missing or on the backside. Could be a design change where they went from DC protected to direct connected. But pure speculation on my part. My HW days are behind me and at least 10 years out of date.

Easy to see all the stereo outs are relay protected and the surrounds aren't.

Styln
tomcrown1's Avatar tomcrown1 12:27 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:

Could they be were the nuforce mods come in?
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 12:36 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:

Me either - it was my son's car

JK, perfectly safe as it was only a door panel clip from a speaker replacement.

Looking at that picture again. I see all the caps right in front of the outputs are either missing or on the backside. Could be a design change where they went from DC protected to direct connected. But pure speculation on my part. My HW days are behind me and at least 10 years out of date.

Easy to see all the stereo outs are relay protected and the surrounds aren't.

Styln

I believe your speculation is a fair assessment of the board. But i see 3 mute relays, 1 each for the stereo outs and a thrid one for the MCH outputs. It also seems that the surrounds are also muted via relays as well.
dmusoke's Avatar dmusoke 12:37 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post

Could they be were the nuforce mods come in?

And charge $2500 to replace caps and such??? That would be the day!
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 03:46 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:

And charge $2500 to replace caps and such??? That would be the day!

Well we are not paying a lot less for the 95 Nuforce mods and its still not entirely clear what is in the price.

I have a 83 Nuforce and their upgrades are also not clear. However I did put it through its paces with an SE and there was some improvement, and for the outlay, I was happy.
sillysally's Avatar sillysally 04:20 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Well we are not paying a lot less for the 95 Nuforce mods and its still not entirely clear what is in the price.

I have a 83 Nuforce and their upgrades are also not clear. However I did put it through its paces with an SE and there was some improvement, and for the outlay, I was happy.

I agree I also enjoyed the Nuforce Edition over the 83SE, Nuforce does a nice job of upgrading and they are the only Oppo authorized modder .

However because I do like to have the latest BD players i am selling my BD-83SE Nuforce Edition.
yuppi's Avatar yuppi 06:47 AM 02-05-2011
As BDP-95 using a 32 bit DAC, does anyone know that 95 will requantizing 16 bit PCM or 20 bit compressed audio signal s or 24 bit compressed/lossless audio signals to 32 bit before the DAC? If 95 just using a 32 bit DAC to convert a 24/20/16 bit signal, 32 bit DAC is meaningless.
DSD_Germany's Avatar DSD_Germany 07:06 AM 02-05-2011
Greetings from Germany from an upcoming BDP-95 owner!
michdys's Avatar michdys 08:25 AM 02-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Germany View Post

Greetings from Germany from an upcoming BDP-95 owner!

Welcome on this thread

Let's hope the 95EU will come really soon !
It seems Oppo EU (UK) is hibernating: still no price or date for the 95EU
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop