post #361 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

As BDP-95 using a 32 bit DAC, does anyone know that 95 will requantizing 16 bit PCM or 20 bit compressed audio signal s or 24 bit compressed/lossless audio signals to 32 bit before the DAC? If 95 just using a 32 bit DAC to convert a 24/20/16 bit signal, 32 bit DAC is meaningless.

yuppi ...good question!

All audio disks are recorded as either 16-bits (as in red book CDs) or 20-bits for HDCD disks or 24-bits used in these newer high resolution disks (SACD, BD audio and DVD-A). Most, if not all DACs have built in highpass and lowpass digital filters (high-pass to eliminate DC and low-pass to meet audio standards such as SACD which requires a 50KHz filter). The results of this digital processing results in data greater than 24-bits.

Let's say, for example, the filters are 24-bits as well. Multiplying the 24-bit input audio sample with a 24-bit filter coefficient results in a product 48 bits wide. This is then rounded or dithered down to 32-bits and then converted to analog.

Also remember that other manufacturers might have further processing of the audio signals (such as the AL24 and AL32 processing by Denon). This is done before the DAC so the results are often 32-bits already.

Hope this simplified explanation is clear...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmus77 View Post

First impressions...

Audio: it is just so hard to describe what we hear. It's just so subjective. But here goes my feeble attempt. I think the human voice is the most difficult instrument to reproduce well. So I started with 'a cappella' performances, including an SACD called 'Music for Compline' by a group called stile antico, an ensemble of 13 British singers performing music from the 16th and 17th century. The best I can describe my impression while listening to this SACD was 'pure' and 'clean'. NOTHING got in the way of the music. I loved this SACD before, but now, it's beyond gorgeous.

Next I pulled out an old warhorse, Handel's Messiah, on SACD from harmonia mundi, directed by Rene Jacobs. The clarity was astounding. I've heard the overture more times than I can count, but never like this. Every instrument was present and accounted for. Instrumentals, solos, and choral selections were all gorgeous.

Next was Camille Saint-Saens Symphony no. 3 ("Organ"). Again, very clear, even all the crazy piano runs that often get overshadowed by the rest of the orchestra. If you're looking for something to rattle the rafters, the "Maestoso" movement, where the organ really kicks in, is a good one. I confess I did not crank it up as loud as I would have liked... my husband was trying to work in his office down the hall, poor guy...

Then for something completely different, I tried some selections from Bonnie Raitt, a studio recording (not a live performance). I felt like I was right there in the studio.

When I tried an older CD, I found it unlistenable (is that a word?)... I was hearing stuff I did not want to hear.... is the Oppo TOO GOOD, highlighting all the noise, etc. on that old CD? (insert winking smiley face here) Hopefully only that one disc was awful... I'll try some others tomorrow. I'm not saying the Oppo was doing anything wrong; I'm just saying I heard garbage that had been on that disk for who knows how long, maybe forever, but I had not noticed it before.

I don't have any DVD-Audio disks so I can't comment on that medium.

If you are looking for a fat, fluffy sound that wraps you in a blanket, the Oppo 95 may not be for you. But if you're looking for clean, clear, precise, pure audio and video, you might just love it. So far, I'm thrilled.

And now, back to the 95!

Great review - really like your writing style!

BTW, forget about those old audio discs: most will sound like garbage. Looks like we have different tastes in music, but the same thing happened to me when I got my first detailed (dare I say analytical) high-res stereo. The original R&R CDs sounded horrible... so I bought the remasters... which were just as bad From now on it's quality over quantity and you'll know it when you hear it

Thanks again for the fun review,

Styln
post #363 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Liked: 10
In reference to the 2-channel analog OPPO 95, my experience is that, after 100 hours of usage, 90% of the edginess that I experienced in the first couple of hours has gone. So my suggestion is, not to do any serious evaluation or comparison until after a weeks' worth of usage.
Sa
post #364 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmus77 View Post

First impressions...

It was so easy to setup and connect the 95. I liked that the user interface was so similar to my 83, so it was easy to navigate through all the setup options and configure everything very quickly. I started with basically the same setup options I used for the 83. I was able to connect to the internet (wired connection to my router); a check for firmware upgrades was super quick, and, as expected, showed that my Oppo was up to date.

For movies, I'm running from HDMI 1 to my projector, and from HDMI 2 to my receiver for audio. For SACD listening, I'm using the 'audio out' 5.1 connections. Yeah, I know this may not be the most appropriate technical terminology like you guys would use, but it's the level of detail I understand!

I've had the 95 running for about 6 hours now and here are my initial impressions.

Picture quality: wow. Mind-boggling. I thought the 83 was really good (and it was) but the 95 is far better. I guess I'll attribute it mostly to the video processor, although hopefully the dedicated video connection to the projector adds value. But whatever the reason, I can tell a big difference from the 83. I sampled scenes from Monsters Inc, Up, Star Trek (2009), X-Men, and a few other movies (all blu-ray). The level of detail was astounding, especially with the Pixar movies. I'm incredibly happy with the PQ. Tomorrow I'll have to watch Avatar again; it's bound to look wonderful.

I have not tried any standard DVDs yet. I'm not interested in 3D, nor do I have any other 3D-compatible components, so I won't be testing that. And I don't plan to stream movies from Netflix or anywhere else.

Audio: it is just so hard to describe what we hear. It's just so subjective. But here goes my feeble attempt. I think the human voice is the most difficult instrument to reproduce well. So I started with 'a cappella' performances, including an SACD called 'Music for Compline' by a group called stile antico, an ensemble of 13 British singers performing music from the 16th and 17th century. The best I can describe my impression while listening to this SACD was 'pure' and 'clean'. NOTHING got in the way of the music. I loved this SACD before, but now, it's beyond gorgeous.

Next I pulled out an old warhorse, Handel's Messiah, on SACD from harmonia mundi, directed by Rene Jacobs. The clarity was astounding. I've heard the overture more times than I can count, but never like this. Every instrument was present and accounted for. Instrumentals, solos, and choral selections were all gorgeous.

Next was Camille Saint-Saens Symphony no. 3 ("Organ"). Again, very clear, even all the crazy piano runs that often get overshadowed by the rest of the orchestra. If you're looking for something to rattle the rafters, the "Maestoso" movement, where the organ really kicks in, is a good one. I confess I did not crank it up as loud as I would have liked... my husband was trying to work in his office down the hall, poor guy...

Then for something completely different, I tried some selections from Bonnie Raitt, a studio recording (not a live performance). I felt like I was right there in the studio.

When I tried an older CD, I found it unlistenable (is that a word?)... I was hearing stuff I did not want to hear.... is the Oppo TOO GOOD, highlighting all the noise, etc. on that old CD? (insert winking smiley face here) Hopefully only that one disc was awful... I'll try some others tomorrow. I'm not saying the Oppo was doing anything wrong; I'm just saying I heard garbage that had been on that disk for who knows how long, maybe forever, but I had not noticed it before.

I don't have any DVD-Audio disks so I can't comment on that medium.

If you are looking for a fat, fluffy sound that wraps you in a blanket, the Oppo 95 may not be for you. But if you're looking for clean, clear, precise, pure audio and video, you might just love it. So far, I'm thrilled.

If I can get the camera set up tomorrow, I'll try to get some good screen shots showing the impressive level of detail in scenes from Monsters Inc or Up.

And now, back to the 95!

Great review Deborah! Nice to hear from the fairer gender in all matters audio. I agree, nice writing style as well!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #365 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received my Oppo 95 this past Wed after upgrading from the 83 and I am simply stunned is all I know to say. I have a Cary Slp-03 tube preamp and use the stereo xlr's for 2 channel listening and I am blown away at the warmth, resonance, and clarity of this unit right out of the box. I put in Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions and could hear the slightest change in her breath let alone every breath she takes really. It is absolutely crystal clear pure audio with so much fullness. My speakers are Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1's which were a bit bright with the 83 but not with this unit. Prior to this, I have not had the equipment to go xlr throughout and that could play a part here but Oppo has hit it out of the park with this player. I have not watched a movie yet but I expect I will be very pleased with video as well. I have heard 10k transports that did not sound as good as this and I only have about 15 hrs on it at this point. It really is a remarkable player and I am happy to have taken gotten one.

Robin
post #366 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HDCD Process Decoder
Gain Scale Application Note

INTRODUCTION

A key feature of the HDCD process is Peak Extend. Peak Extend increases the dynamic range of
Redbook CDs by 6dB. The Peak Extend feature is selectable on the Model 1 (or Model 2) HDCD
encoder - the recording or mastering engineer has the ability to set Peak Extend ON or OFF on
the Model 1 HDCD encoder. So it is possible to have HDCD recordings with, or without Peak Extend.
Because Peak Extend adds 6dB of dynamic range to the top end, the “average” decoded
signal level will be 6dB lower than an HDCD recording without Peak Extend, or a non-HDCD
recording. Un-less the decoded level of Peak Extended and non-Peak Extended recordings are
matched using Gain Scaling, Peak Extended Recordings will be 6dB quieter than non-Peak
Extended recordings and this is not acceptable. All HDCD decoders must either 1) lower the gain
of non-HDCD recordings and HDCD recordings without Peak Extend by 6dB, or 2) raise the gain
of the Peak Extended recording 6dB. This is a requirement of the HDCD license agreement. This
gain matching can be done in either the digital domain or the analog domain, as explained later in
this application note.

Key point being non-HDCD and without peak extend should be lowered 6 db. Peak extend should not be lowered. The 980H did not do HDCD properly. This was discussed at length in the 980H thread, and I communicated with Oppo about it. It appears the problem was not corrected. I do not think the software does any filter switching either, which hardware does.

Window Media Player does not seem to filter switch and also simply drops all levels by 6dB, which is not correct. My research indicated Microsoft bought the technology to help with software pirating. Point being, I think things got corrupted when they took it over.

Link to the 980H thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15864078
post #367 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
anyone know what version of flac the Oppo is using to decode files? Someone posted somewhere else earlier today about an issue playing certain flac files that might be related to Oppo using an older version of flac to decode the files.
post #368 of 11283 Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Don't really know. I use dBPower Amp (it uses FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1) when converting my CD-Audio media and have not experienced any issues with FLAC file playback.
post #369 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 AM

Looking for a review of the 83SE vs 95 using 5.1 or 7.1.
Also is the Marvell video processor better than the Anchor Bay?
Oppo says the processors each have their advantages.
I ordered a 95 and have an 83SE.
Is it worth the $ ?
post #370 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post

I received my Oppo 95 this past Wed after upgrading from the 83 and I am simply stunned is all I know to say. I have a Cary Slp-03 tube preamp and use the stereo xlr's for 2 channel listening and I am blown away at the warmth, resonance, and clarity of this unit right out of the box. I put in Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions and could hear the slightest change in her breath let alone every breath she takes really. It is absolutely crystal clear pure audio with so much fullness. My speakers are Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1's which were a bit bright with the 83 but not with this unit. Prior to this, I have not had the equipment to go xlr throughout and that could play a part here but Oppo has hit it out of the park with this player. I have not watched a movie yet but I expect I will be very pleased with video as well. I have heard 10k transports that did not sound as good as this and I only have about 15 hrs on it at this point. It really is a remarkable player and I am happy to have taken gotten one.

Robin

Great review Robin . Thanks for your thoughts on this great player!

post #371 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dart383 View Post

Is it worth the $ ?

ABT VRS is better for DVD-Video de-interlacing and scaling due to more accurate and faster response to cadence breaks.

The Marvell QDEO is better at enhancing your picture by adding Contrast or Color Enhancements or by removing block noise artifacts.

The primary benefit for the BDP-95 will be the enhanced analog audio performance and the ability to playback more media formats (APE, FLAC, and WAV being most relevant).
post #372 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Something is not right in your setup, I ran 3 BD's last night 1 DTS HD MA, Ture HD and Dolby Digital all where 5.1.
All speakers set to large, bass on, crossover 80, downmix set to 7.1.
Using 7.1 analog RCA connectors.

I am not ready to comment on my BD-95 yet but I find it hard to believe there is a problem as you are describing with bass over shadowing speech.

ss

Well, if the bass is 4dB or so hot on a [articular Blu-ray, one turns the volume down so as not to be literally blown away. At that point, speech is 4dB below expected volume level and one has to listen intently to hear.

The re is nothing wrong with my setup. Speakers have been in place and tuned for the last 7 years. Perhaps the Oppo setting could use something, but not in the rest of the system

As mentioned, bass seems balanced for all other material I have played which is maybe 20 discs and movies now. This has been the only one that had me reach for the volume control almost instantly.

My current suspicion, though it may be all wet, is that the other discs were Dolby and this is DTS and the bass is hotter. If I'm lucky, it is just Inception. But if this is a Dolby vs DTS bass level issue, then it would be nice if the 95 had the facility to set separate bass levels for the difference in level in these formats.

I am unsure if I have any other Blu-rays with DTS and not Dolby. Will have to look tomorrow. After the Superbowl

~Bob
post #373 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

I prefer the 95 on some discs. It seems to sound warmer and any hint of edgy highs seems to have disappeared. There must be a burn in effect? the OPPO seems particularly good at resolution of low level d....it sounds very nice indeed on 2 ch analog.
In any event, my impression of the OPPO 95 has vastly improved. I think now that it will stand tall when compared to some higher priced players on analog 2 ch.

this is good
post #374 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Nope. Something is wrong. Sounds like the Denon is not properly handling the HDCD decode on some discs. But it may be something else.

Does your pre-amp do HDCD decoding itself? If so, then you want to turn HDCD decoding in the Oppo OFF. It should be done in the pre-amp.

If your pre-amp does *NOT* offer HDCD decoding then compare the output from the Oppo with HDCD Decoding ON vs. OFF. The output should be 6dB down for ON in every case, if you are actually playing an HDCD disc.
--Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post

HDCD Process Decoder
Gain Scale Application Note

INTRODUCTION

A key feature of the HDCD process is Peak Extend. Peak Extend increases the dynamic range of
Redbook CDs by 6dB. The Peak Extend feature is selectable on the Model 1 (or Model 2) HDCD
encoder - the recording or mastering engineer has the ability to set Peak Extend ON or OFF on
the Model 1 HDCD encoder. So it is possible to have HDCD recordings with, or without Peak Extend.
Because Peak Extend adds 6dB of dynamic range to the top end, the average decoded
signal level will be 6dB lower than an HDCD recording without Peak Extend, or a non-HDCD
recording. Un-less the decoded level of Peak Extended and non-Peak Extended recordings are
matched using Gain Scaling, Peak Extended Recordings will be 6dB quieter than non-Peak
Extended recordings and this is not acceptable. All HDCD decoders must either 1) lower the gain
of non-HDCD recordings and HDCD recordings without Peak Extend by 6dB, or 2) raise the gain
of the Peak Extended recording 6dB. This is a requirement of the HDCD license agreement. This
gain matching can be done in either the digital domain or the analog domain, as explained later in
this application note.

Key point being non-HDCD and without peak extend should be lowered 6 db. Peak extend should not be lowered. The 980H did not do HDCD properly. This was discussed at length in the 980H thread, and I communicated with Oppo about it. It appears the problem was not corrected. I do not think the software does any filter switching either, which hardware does.

Window Media Player does not seem to filter switch and also simply drops all levels by 6dB, which is not correct. My research indicated Microsoft bought the technology to help with software pirating. Point being, I think things got corrupted when they took it over.

Link to the 980H thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15864078

[For the record both my Oppo and Denon are connected via the dedicated stereo outputs to my Mcintosh C2200 pre-amp; All hdcd processing is occurring in the players.]

Ok, so if I'm getting the gist of both of your posts, the following is probably happening:

For hdcd encoded tracks where the playback levels do not differ between the Denon and Oppo AND where the playback level of these hdcd tracks does not differ from non-hdcd encoded tracks, there is no peak-level option enabled on the authoring end.

For hdcd encoded tracks where the playback levels DIFFER between the Oppo and Denon, AND between the hdcd encoded tracks and non hdcd encoded tracks on the Oppo, these tracks have the peak level option enabled during disc authoring, but the Oppo is mishandling these and lowering the playback level of these tracks instead of lowering EVERYTHING ELSE to match it.

Am I on the right track?

Is it possible that the Denon doesn't even handle the peak-extend option? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all players are programmed to decode peak extend authoring.
post #375 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Perhaps this is why the hdcd logo no longer graces the player?
post #376 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dart383 View Post

Is it worth the $ ?

Well, my pals and I are planning an Audio based shootout between:

83 NE
Emotive Cd player
Shan ling Tube CD - mod version
and maybe a Marantz CD player for good measure...

Will do it once I get my hands on a 95...

Cheers.
post #377 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_M View Post

In reference to the 2-channel analog OPPO 95, my experience is that, after 100 hours of usage, 90% of the edginess that I experienced in the first couple of hours has gone. So my suggestion is, not to do any serious evaluation or comparison until after a weeks' worth of usage.
Sa

As I have said I am not ready to comment, however I did hear a very slight "edginess" in a very few speech tones last night. Tonight I haven't heard anything unusual.
Anyway you could be right about burn-in and if I had to guess I would say you are right, but at this time its only speculation.
Also I should add that I am using the same after market power cord along with the same PPP and cables as I used on my BD-83SE Nuforce Edition, so that would account for a quicker burn-in with only about 11 hours on my BD-95.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

Well, if the bass is 4dB or so hot on a [articular Blu-ray, one turns the volume down so as not to be literally blown away. At that point, speech is 4dB below expected volume level and one has to listen intently to hear.

The re is nothing wrong with my setup. Speakers have been in place and tuned for the last 7 years. Perhaps the Oppo setting could use something, but not in the rest of the system

As mentioned, bass seems balanced for all other material I have played which is maybe 20 discs and movies now. This has been the only one that had me reach for the volume control almost instantly.

My current suspicion, though it may be all wet, is that the other discs were Dolby and this is DTS and the bass is hotter. If I'm lucky, it is just Inception. But if this is a Dolby vs DTS bass level issue, then it would be nice if the 95 had the facility to set separate bass levels for the difference in level in these formats.

I am unsure if I have any other Blu-rays with DTS and not Dolby. Will have to look tomorrow. After the Superbowl

I am not saying you don't have a bass problem all I am saying is from what I am hearing with my gears is there is nothing as you have described with my setup.
Sub bass is very hard to get meaningful software/hardware reports on. As I am sure you know there are different LFE db settings used when the audio is mastered for movies as there is for music for the most part.
I have three audio speaker setups.
One is setup for 5.1 and the other reference system is setup for 7.1 both using B&W 801 speakers and a sub bass the size of a coffee table.
The 3rd system is using JBL speakers (three sets of speakers on both side walls) two large arrays behind the screen for L/R and a 7th JBL for center and the same sub bass. Along with very high end room acoustics, eliminating any need for room EQ software. This system is a theatrical THX 5.1 system certified by THX and using THX software.
My system is a copy (PRIR) of AIX's sound system's, setup by AIX's sound engineer using there room acoustics also.
My point is yes there is less sub bass using the reference (music) systems as apposed to the theatrical (movie) THX system, but a lot of that has to do with the speaker systems being used. And be it the reference or THX system there is no overpowering LFE Ch.
post #378 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 AM

The good:
CD and SACD playback are superb. My first CD was "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the Oppo captured low level detail I have not heard before. Sound was smooth and quite captivating, better than the Quad CDP2 CD player I have previously used.
Video playback is excellent both for regular DVDs and the one Blue Ray DVD tested after boosting brightness.
Netflix streaming via Network cable was smooth with no stuttering. Video quality seems superior to the Roku box.
The bad:
I am disappointed that I see no way to boost speech and/or turn down the volume of music and special effects in DVD. Yes, I have Dynamic Range Compression turned on and I´m sure that is helping but I still need a significant boost in speech over special effects. I have also made the center speaker "small" in settings. While playing the Blue Ray disc "Inception", I was constantly turning up the volume to hear dialog and then quickly turning it down again to avoid being blasted by effects. Doing this some 30 or 40 times during a movie is very tiring! I tried a few regular DVDs and the problem persisted but was not as bad as with the Inception soundtrack. My previous Sony player has a control to boost speech. The Roku Netflix box has a control to turn down special effects. My Lexicon processor also has the ability to boost speech. Why is there no direct control for a speech boost (other than Dynamic Range Compression) on the Oppo, or am I missing something here?
post #379 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Well, my pals and I are planning an Audio based shootout between:

83 NE
Emotive Cd player
Shan ling Tube CD - mod version
and maybe a Marantz CD player for good measure...

Will do it once I get my hands on a 95...

Cheers.

Can't wait to hear the results of this shootout.
post #380 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522df View Post

The good:
CD and SACD playback are superb. My first CD was "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the Oppo captured low level detail I have not heard before. Sound was smooth and quite captivating, better than the Quad CDP2 CD player I have previously used.
Video playback is excellent both for regular DVDs and the one Blue Ray DVD tested after boosting brightness.
Netflix streaming via Network cable was smooth with no stuttering. Video quality seems superior to the Roku box.
The bad:
I am disappointed that I see no way to boost speech and/or turn down the volume of music and special effects in DVD. Yes, I have Dynamic Range Compression turned on and I´m sure that is helping but I still need a significant boost in speech over special effects. I have also made the center speaker "small" in settings. While playing the Blue Ray disc "Inception", I was constantly turning up the volume to hear dialog and then quickly turning it down again to avoid being blasted by effects. Doing this some 30 or 40 times during a movie is very tiring! I tried a few regular DVDs and the problem persisted but was not as bad as with the Inception soundtrack. My previous Sony player has a control to boost speech. The Roku Netflix box has a control to turn down special effects. My Lexicon processor also has the ability to boost speech. Why is there no direct control for a speech boost (other than Dynamic Range Compression) on the Oppo, or am I missing something here?

Have you tried raising the trim level on your center speaker. Remember your center channel is usually were the dialog comes from.
So far I am finding the speaker levels from all channels to be very well balanced without any adjustments to the trim levels.
I try to be a purest so I never use DRC because that probably will affect the dynamic range of the movie, and as we know the dynamic range of movies is more than likely much greater than audio CD's.
post #381 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Don't really know. I use dBPower Amp (it uses FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1) when converting my CD-Audio media and have not experienced any issues with FLAC file playback.

I'll see if I can find more information about the files that didn't play. He re-encoded the files that didn't play and they played fine. So there is something going on with the bdp-95 where it won't play certain flac files.
post #382 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

ABT VRS is better for DVD-Video de-interlacing and scaling due to more accurate and faster response to cadence breaks.
The Marvell QDEO is better at enhancing your picture by adding Contrast or Color Enhancements or by removing block noise artifacts.
The primary benefit for the BDP-95 will be the enhanced analog audio performance and the ability to playback more media formats (APE, FLAC, and WAV being most relevant).

I don't believe video processing attributes can always be conveniently pidgeon-holed, but you sound very sure of yourself. Do you have some evidence that you can share for these assertions?

Thanks, Nick
post #383 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

I don't believe video processing attributes can always be conveniently pidgeon-holed, but you sound very sure of yourself. Do you have some evidence that you can share for these assertions?

Thanks, Nick

He has summarized the well-known selling points for each product. If you go to the web sites of each video processor I believe they will emphasize those features.

ABT VRS has nearly unbreakable cadence detection and Qdeo doesn't. You can test this yourself with calibration and test discs.

Qdeo has noise reduction and sharpness controls that ABT VRS doesn't.

-Bill
post #384 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Bob,

What are you initial impressions?

I unpacked mine last Wed night... and it puts you closer to the front row of the performance, with an even lower noise floor (than my ref. Sony 705-ES CD player), with much greater detail and clean sound.

Have you tried the MY Network yet?

Paul
post #385 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In addition to the short comment I made previously I would say the 95 is very good when compared to the Krell KPS 28C CD player. I am running both in balanced stereo mode and mainly compared a half dozen or so hybrid SACDs, so the SACD layer would be played on the 95 and the CD layer on the Krell. I also compared one or two red book cds.

The 95 has more detail and a little more solid or defined sound stage, but that may be because of the perception of detail. The Krell is a touch more warmer or has a little more mid-range emphasis which may make it sound a little more warmer and fuller. I am using the same interconnects or both. The 95 is using a set of balanced inputs on the pre-amp that I have never used before so some break-in may be going on there and the interconnect cables are new as well.

I am not sure which I prefer more at this point, probably the Krell. They are both very enjoyable but a little different. I think it may take a few weeks to come to a definite conclusion but of course since I purchased the 95 for blu-ray, SACD, and netflix streaming it's definitely a keeper. The Krell cost a lot more when it was new, but is about 8 years old now.

Andy
post #386 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

He has summarized the well-known selling points for each product. If you go to the web sites of each video processor I believe they will emphasize those features.
ABT VRS has nearly unbreakable cadence detection and Qdeo doesn't. You can test this yourself with calibration and test discs.
Qdeo has noise reduction and sharpness controls that ABT VRS doesn't.
-Bill

Yes, I've done that. I've had eight players and six video processors in the last year, including three units with VRS and three units with Qdeo processing. I find the 93 better than the 83.

Nick
post #387 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM

"Have you tried raising the trim level on your center speaker? Remember your center channel is usually where the dialog comes from."

I don´t need to adjust trim levels since the center channel has its own preamplifier. I can adjust its volume with a knob while watching. Unfortunately the studios incorporate quite a bit of music and effects with the dialog into the center channel. Some dialog must also come through the main R/L speakers to pinpoint the location of sound when people speak.
I´m thinking of raising the cutoff frequency to the sub and then turning the volume of the sub way down. I´ll also make side and rear channels "small."
If I make the right and left channels "small," will the bass to the main speakers be compromised when I play a CD in audio mode?
post #388 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM

I currently use a Anthem 225 to run a pair of Studio 100s and a Sunfire sub. I have a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic that my computer music and PS3 run through prior to the Anthem. What I need to know is should I use a BDP 95 and skip the DAC Magic or save $500 and get the 93 and run it through the DAC. That could be good money towards a Mac mini music sever! Any thoughts?
post #389 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 947
If you are not hearing clear dialog, your Center may not be performing the way you think it is performing. It could have a blown driver, or it could be showing the effects of a room cancellation null in the low mid-range which is critical to dialog. If you have tools to view a frequency sweep through the speaker you can check this easily, but without those try this: Temporarily swap the speaker wires for say RF and C. The location of sounds will be wrong of course but is the dialog clearer?

Over in the Anthem D2v thread, where people are measuring their room response for ARC setup, we see this all the time. Folks discover a speaker is actually broken even though they've been happily enjoying it. It happens so often we've even got a name for it: Richard Syndrome, after the first poster to have this epiphany.

As it turns out, blown drivers in Center speakers are rather common due to the dynamics of typical movie mixes in the Center channel. Room response problems for a speaker are typically addressed by repositioning the speaker a bit or by adding acoustic treatments in the room.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #390 of 11283 Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Clarity of dialog is not my problem. Dialog and music/effects often come through center (or main R/L) and I often find the music/effects are too strong relative to the dialog.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page