Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn9601 View Post

Tks Bob.

Just to elaborate a little more.

The 'boomy' noise is intermittent. Sometimes, the sub will sound 'boom....booommmmm....boom-boom....' during dialogue moment during movie play. And during scene of gun shooting/arty shell dropping, there is 'additional' audible 'boom....boooooooommmmm....'. And this is intermittent.

Test tone initiated by Onky AVR and Oppo95 does not produce that 'boomy' noise.

Anyway, I will grab tat AIX test disc to chk it again, as suggested.

Tks a lot.

Is the extra sound more like a thud or a buzz?

Getting subwoofer output during dialog often means you have the crossover set way too high for your Center speaker. But that wouldn't be intermittent.

An echoey extra booming, which is what it sounds like you are describing, is a pretty unusual symptom. It is unlikely to be an HDMI cabling problem. If you have a bad ground loop I suppose it is possible that your sub is bottoming out.

Anyway, the starting point is to check your levels and your crossover settings.

You mentioned the DTS-HD MA "bomb". Unless you have an older HDMI receiver that's never been updated, it is unlikely you have that, as all the manufacturers fixed that a long time ago. The DTS-HD MA "bomb" is a SCARY loud noise in multiple speakers -- not just the sub -- and always repeats at the same time code of whatever disc triggers it. And of course it only happens on DTS-HD MA tracks. Again, I don't think this is what you are hearing.

Since you are having the problem on HDMI audio, if your receiver can decode the various audio tracks that are giving you problems, then compare decoding in the Oppo (HDMI Audio LPCM) vs. decoding in the AVR (HDMI Audio Bitstream).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by georose View Post

Does the new Oppo 95 play Flac files on CD through its DAC via analog stereo ouputs? I own an Oppo 83 SE and have downloaded two Flac 96/24 files and played them from computer with coax at 96/24 to a "Top of the line Yamaha Receiver" and then compared with the CD version on the 83SE. I prefer the CD version played through the Oppo analog with "Pure Direct" (Yamaha's Pure analog) setting for the receiver and pre outs to CJ amp with Zu Essence Speakers. Maybe the Yamaha's DACs are the problem. In any case I don't wish to get into any sort of DAC game that would be reminiscent of the phono preamp/cartridge headaches of my past travails. Do Hi Res Flac files as found on places like "HD Tracks" really make a difference and with what types of hardware? Only the first question is relevant to this thread but ...

Yes the 95 plays FLAC files, and yes the analog stereo outputs are active.

If you search this thread you'll find quite a few posts from folks talking about the good results they are having with high bit rate FLAC files from various sources.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3933 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

So the 95 is no longer the culprit since it's NOT an analog connection or is it?

Have you tried to power down all components, including the PS Audio.
Reconnect one by one without the power amp turned on.
At the same time listen to the hiss noise you were referring to.
Fault isolation is what you should be doing.

The 95 is an analog connection with 7.1 and XLR. I did power down each and every component, reconnected in, listen, connected next, listen, and so on. Still there's no hissing until I connect the 95. I will try to connect it with digital interconnect (as soon as I can dig out out of the box...) just to see if I still have the hissing sound then.

For some reason, I think the hissing has started to reduce in volume (or I'm getting more used to it). It's never audible when anything is playing, only when everything is connected and no sound is output.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #3934 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If I put 100gb of flac files in a USB hdd and connected it to the oppo, what kind of ui does the oppo give to the user to search and choose the music to play. I am so used to using iTunes and its simplicity and I don't want to lose it for a slight increase in audio quality.

Also is there any plans at all to support apple AirPlay. That would be the best of both world. Streaming apple lossless from iTunes to oppo through AirPlay - controlling everything using my iPhone or iPad.
post #3935 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

If I put 100gb of flac files in a USB hdd and connected it to the oppo, what kind of ui does the oppo give to the user to search and choose the music to play. I am so used to using iTunes and its simplicity and I don't want to lose it for a slight increase in audio quality.

There are illustration in the online manual. It is a very limited browser without searching.

Quote:

Also is there any plans at all to support apple AirPlay.

OPPO doesn't talk about futures.

-Bill
post #3936 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is an RMAA comparison of the L/R line-outs of the 95 and a 2009 AVR receiver line-outs (a Pioneer VSX-9140txh $1200 ... identical in terms of audio circuits to some of the $1500+ Elite models of 2009): BDP-95 vs VSX9140TXH receiver. The 24bit/96 kHz RMAA test file was played back via USB media on the 95. For the receiver test, the same USB playback and 95 HDMI for transport to the AVR and the preamp outs in "pure audio" mode were used. You only need look at the summary table at the top.
post #3937 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Which firmware are you using? You should be on at least the "official" 0323 firmware. You may want to try the 0428B Public Beta. Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information for the "Main" firmware number.

To get DSD-direct-to-analog conversion to engage you must set SACD Output DSD and you must also make sure you don't have any active HDMI connections (EITHER output) to a device that does not, itself, accept HDMI DSD input. With the 0323 or later firmware you can do this by setting HDMI Audio OFF. NOTE: "Video Only (HDMI 1) ON" is not sufficient to do this.

There have been reports that sometimes changes to the SACD Output setting don't actually take effect until after you power cycle the player. There have also been reports of a very few faulty players which don't actually save Setup settings correctly across power cycles. So power cycle, check that your Setup settings are as you expected after you power up again, and then try your SACD.

And of course DSD only applies when playing SACD discs.
--Bob

Thanks for the detail answer Bob.

I received a smilar answer from OPPO yesterday, which basically did the trick, it's now back to DSD

From what I understand now, is the combination of "HDMI video only ON" & "HDMI Audio OFF" that enables it.

See here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPO Support View Post

Ensure that you have downloaded and installed the 46-0428B Firmware (http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-9...-46-0428B.aspx).

Under Video Setup->HDMI Options set Video Only (HDMI 1) to ON.

Under Audio Format Setup set Secondary Audio to OFF, HDMI Audio to OFF, and SACD Output to DSD.

Exit Setup. Turn off the player. Turn the player back on.

Now play a SACD and confirm that you are getting DSD.

I'm listening to some familiar CDs now, and it seems the more I listen, the more I'm "discovering" the Oppo, the sound opens up, it's addictive. It's good stuff
post #3938 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Yes, there may be slight differences over time, but I suscribe to the believe they are beyond audible detection to the human ear. Not sure how you determine solid state circuits reach a sweet spot with time??? How is that measured? Most manafactures of solid state equipment don't reccommend a burn-in time because it's unneccessary. "Burn in" may help ID a bad/faulty component, but I don 't feel the impact to SQ is audible.

Interesting article...The 10 Biggest Lies in Audio:

6. The Burn-In Lie

"This widely reiterated piece of B.S. would have you believe that audio electronics, and even cables, will sound better after a burn-in period
of days or weeks or months (yes, months). Pure garbage. Capacitors will
form in a matter of seconds after power-on. Bias will stabilize in a
matter of minutes (and shouldn't be all that critical in well-designed equipment, to begin with). There is absolutely no difference in performance
between a correctly designed amplifier's (or preamp's or CD player's) firsthour
and 1000th-hour performance. As for cables, yecch We're dealing
with audiophile voodoo here rather than science. (See also the Duo-Tech
review in Issue No. 19, page 36.) Loudspeakers, however, may require
a break-in period of a few hours, perhaps even a day or two, before
reaching optimum performance. That's because they are mechanical devices
with moving parts under stress that need to settle in."

To each their own...beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

In many corners of the world there are certain people with "special" skill sets that cannot be readily explained pathologically but definitely proven. Some of those skills are based in the human senses, most commonly taste and smell. Some of these people make their living using it; i.e., gourmet chefs and sniffers. Yes, they can tell you what and how much of any given ingredients it took to make the taste or smell they come into contact with. That's how we end up with imposter colognes and fantastic foods.

You must take into account then that the human ear is no different, it is not
a device with absolute parameters. The size, position and shape of the outer ear, the ear canal, the position and size of the eustachian tubes and whether or not they are clear or blocked by a fluid or solid, the status of the auditory nervous system and even the condition of the sinus cavities and especially the uniqueness of the tympanic membrane will ALL impact how something sounds from one person to another as well as the ability to detect very minute subtleties of a variety of audible waveforms. So, considering that something that has the ability to cause a change in the performance of an audio device has actually happened and someone can tell you they hear it and what it is, you damn well better believe it. It isn't impossible.
post #3939 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl777 View Post

... you damn well better believe it. It isn't impossible.

As they say, "Priceless!"

Double blind tests are for wimps.
post #3940 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

In many corners of the world there are certain people with "special" skill sets that cannot be readily explained pathologically but definitely proven. Some of those skills are based in the human senses, most commonly taste and smell. Some of these people make their living using it; i.e., gourmet chefs and sniffers. Yes, they can tell you what and how much of any given ingredients it took to make the taste or smell they come into contact with. That's how we end up with imposter colognes and fantastic foods.

a device with absolute parameters. The size, position and shape of the outer ear, the ear canal, the position and size of the eustachian tubes and whether or not they are clear or blocked by a fluid or solid, the status of the auditory nervous system and even the condition of the sinus cavities and especially the uniqueness of the tympanic membrane will ALL impact how something sounds from one person to another as well as the ability to detect very minute subtleties of a variety of audible waveforms. So, considering that something that has the ability to cause a change in the performance of an audio device has actually happened and someone can tell you they hear it and what it is, you damn well better believe it. It isn't impossible.

I believe a great analogy, I just thought or, is the fact the if you take a picture of the Grand Canyon with a great camera (man-made equipment), it will never compare to what the human eyeball will provide to the brain in terms of visual information that provides that person the enjoyment of the majesty of the Grand Canyon. No camera cannot relay that visual experience and subtle characteristics. Also, taking into account the variable factors of people's different visual skills and eye to brain connections.

Russell
post #3941 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 514
We are "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made"
post #3942 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welp placed my order for a 95 finally upgrading from my 83SE. I'm using a Wyred 4 Sound SPT-SE pre and am anxious to hear what the 95 can do using the XLR outputs. Speakers are GR Research LS9's (LCR) and GR Research N3S side and back surrounds, subs 2xDanley DTS10's.

With the Floyd Hi Rez looming it was finally time to prepare the best I can (afford)

post #3943 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Question for all the owners out there:

Is it possible (through mod or out of the box) for the 95 or 93 to skip all the warning screens and commercials in the begining of a dvd/blu-ray?

To me this is one of the most important features a player can have, not making me go throuh this countless times. There must be someone that modded to enable skip to main menu regadrless of anything
post #3944 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post

Question for all the owners out there:

Is it possible (through mod or out of the box) for the 95 or 93 to skip all the warning screens and commercials in the begining of a dvd/blu-ray?

To me this is one of the most important features a player can have, not making me go throuh this countless times. There must be someone that modded to enable skip to main menu regadrless of anything

For DVD: yes. The YELLOW button will jump to the longest title on the disc. (It usually works; you sometimes find discs that are authored in a contrary way and you'll get the menu or some intro material).

For Blu-ray: no. I suspect the licensing prohibits that, the BDA having learned many lessons from DVD. It may not even be technically possible with java discs.

-Bill
post #3945 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Is HD Tracks the only HD music source out there?
post #3946 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 95
No, there are Linn Records and others. I don't know the complete list but many links have been posted in the Oppo threads.

post #3947 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For DVD: yes. The YELLOW button will jump to the longest title on the disc. (It usually works; you sometimes find discs that are authored in a contrary way and you'll get the menu or some intro material).

For Blu-ray: no. I suspect the licensing prohibits that, the BDA having learned many lessons from DVD. It may not even be technically possible with java discs.

-Bill

Hmm, I find it hard to believe that whatever is on the disk it would be impossible to NOT disable skip forward. But you may be right about licensing issues. I was hoping that modders wouldn't care that much for those.

Good to hear you can do it for DVDs, but really the issue is with blu-rays.

I'm not worried about picture/sound quality - I'm sure it will be more than Ok. For me the selection criteria when it comes to blu-ray player is how user friendly it is - things like remembering the position after eject and re-insert of disk; easy to display the remaining play time; and more than anything 2 things - load/start times, and ability to skip the garbage commercials and disclaimers in the beginning.
I was hoping the 95 may have some extra bang for the buck...
post #3948 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post

I'm not worried about picture/sound quality - I'm sure it will be more than Ok. For me the selection criteria when it comes to blu-ray player is how user friendly it is - things like remembering the position after eject and re-insert of disk; easy to display the remaining play time; and more than anything 2 things - load/start times, and ability to skip the garbage commercials and disclaimers in the beginning.
I was hoping the 95 may have some extra bang for the buck...

If skipping over the junk on Bluray is a really high priority, your best option is to setup a HTPC with Arcsoft TMT or PowerDVD AND AnyDVD HD. AnyDVD HD is the key to skipping over the junk. I'm not aware of any standalone players that handle this any better than the OPPO's.

The extra bang for the buck with the OPPO is things like better DVD upconversion, DVD-Audio & SACD capabilities, stellar analog audio quality, excellent customer support, etc. But they have to deal with the same licensing restrictions that all the other standalone player makes have to deal with.
post #3949 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Have found Linn and B & W. Sounds like the "folks across the Big Pond" are ahead of us in high def downloads!
post #3950 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
www.hdtracks.com

www.itrax.com

http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue...ate&order=desc

http://www.klicktrack.com/2l/search?...+192kHz+24+bit

http://www.hifitrack.com/en/

These are a representative sample. You'll find some duplication of titles between some sites, and also some exclusive material.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #3951 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks very much everyone.
post #3952 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

First, welcome to AVS.

This really belongs in another thread, but ...Yes, some people have heightened senses...I'm simply in the other corner when it comes to burn-in hype. This view stems from my experience/training...my lab is in the business of calibrating/measuring test equipment performance/accuracy over periodic intervals. It's what I do. I certainly don't see circuits ripen, but do see them change...or better term degrade. It's why we keep checking this stuff. Does it change to the point people could hear it in commercial application? It's possible. Performance is certainly going to change over time/use, but to the good after x hours and then it just stops??? I don't subscribe to that because it's not what we see happen in our test equipment. There are some types of components that can have measurable changes/break in (i.e. speakers/transports/etc).

And how is it these folks get past the auditory memory hurdle (usually seconds...not over days - 200 hrs)...I know, I should just have faith and believe. Warm-up is real and completely different.

Some are analytical about it, some are more emotional about it...I do believe some perceive an improvement and that's all good, but I think it has more to do with what's between the ears.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #3953 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

First, welcome to AVS.

This really belongs in another thread, but ...Yes, some people have heightened senses...I'm simply in the other corner when it comes to burn-in hype. ...

Some are analytical about it, some are more emotional about it...I do believe some perceive an improvement and that's all good, but I think it has more to do with what’s between the ears.

Well stated. To state the obvious, how an individual perceives music depends obviously on the quality of the recording, (the musicality and technical expertise of the recording engineer) and the entire playback chain including the listening room. Then there are the human factors ... our expectations of the music itself, how tired, angry relaxed we are etc. Some people perceive brightness as "better" or "clearer" .. subjective. A good (or bad) example of "aging" (or deterioration) of perception is listening fatigue. I can swear that a given piece of music has greater clarity, smoothness as I listen to it after a long quiet period. After much listening, my brain/ears tell me that it isn't quite as great a initially. I believe audio measurements are critical (certainly OPPO design using audio specs of components). I agree that our perceptions can change with time and the perception is our reality. I however don't necessarily believe that some of these "changes" or "burn-ins" indicates a change in the equipment itself. Reminds me of some recent claims of wine makers playing music to assist with the aging process ... nice. Some tasters think the wine tastes better ... others say there is no change. Of course it depends on the TYPE of music ... AD/DC and not Mozart leads to a better finish ;-)
Regarding perception, Daniel Levitin at McGill University has written some wonderful books on musical perception .. well worth reading.
post #3954 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Yes, people with high skill levels might exist.

However the placebo effect certainly exists.

It makes deciding which is in play very difficult. Personally I side with stuff that can actually be verified.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #3955 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

So does double blind testing, but most special claimers avoid it.
post #3956 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

It makes deciding which is in play very difficult. Personally I side with stuff that can actually be verified.

I agree 100%.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3957 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Can I suggest that the audio theory discussion be continued in the audio theory subforum? This thread is supposed to be about the BDP-95.
post #3958 of 11296 Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Well, I am listening to the PSB Synchrony Ones with the 95. I must say these speakers make me feel like I am grown up now, lol. The sound can be characterized as much bigger soundstage, better imaging, smoother and much more effortless sound overall. The midrange seems much more accurate and neutral than the Twos. Everything just seems smoother and effortless. I like the larger size (each are 15 lbs heavier than the Twos). Movies are obviously going to be more impressive. I need to break these suckers in for a while so I can see how good they can sound, but so far, I am very pleased and satisfied about the system overall now. The 95 is a nice source for this system. Oppo has sure made a fine blu-ray player to compliment any high end system.

Russell
post #3959 of 11296 Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh2173 View Post

Well, I am listening to the PSB Synchrony Ones with the 95. I must say these speakers make me feel like I am grown up now, lol. The sound can be characterized as much bigger soundstage, better imaging, smoother and much more effortless sound overall. The midrange seems much more accurate and neutral than the Twos. Everything just seems smoother and effortless. I like the larger size (each are 15 lbs heavier than the Twos). Movies are obviously going to be more impressive. I need to break these suckers in for a while so I can see how good they can sound, but so far, I am very pleased and satisfied about the system overall now. The 95 is a nice source for this system. Oppo has sure made a fine blu-ray player to compliment any high end system.

Congrats And they say all the magic is gone when you grow up Enjoy your Synchrony Ones!
post #3960 of 11296 Old 05-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:

You're exactly right...I don't want to be one to drop hard earned money on any snake oil stuff for something I just think, or am told sounds better.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page