Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
First ... 155  156  157 158  159  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
gbaby's Avatar gbaby 11:27 AM 07-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Be aware that DVD playback on Component will be limited to 480p. This is an industry-imposed restriction.

The Blu-ray spec also allows studios to author discs that restrict the player from using higher than 480p on Component. There are almost no Blu-ray discs out there now that do that yet, but that's expected to change over the next year for new titles. The disc packaging for discs restricted this way is SUPPOSED to be marked to say that, but not necessarily prominently marked.

Blu-ray licensing rules are basically headed towards prohibiting Component output altogether, but the Oppo 93 and 95 got grandfathered in, so they don't have to implement the first portion of those changes which came into effect at the beginning of 2011 for newly released players.

It appears that VUDU also restricts output to 480p on Component.
--Bob

Thanks for your response, but I already knew DVD was limited to 480p. I'm happy to know that the 95 will play 1080i over component because I need component for my dinosaur, the Pioneer Elite Pro 720HD. Although I also own a sony xbr8, everyone tells me I would be crazy to get rid of my 64" Elite. If the Oppo 95 sounds better on its analog outs than the latest Sony ES blu-ray and SACD players, then I will get the Oppo and use the sonys in my bedroom system.

Flexx's Avatar Flexx 11:38 AM 07-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanping09 View Post

just be curious, i tried multiple DVD-A's on my 95, including 'Tommy: the who' disc 1 and 2, all play fine with the stop-n-play trick. Here is what I did: put in the disc, and wait the front panel shows "Loading" -> "DVD-Audio" -> "Root Menu", then press the STOP -> PLAY buttons. When the music is on, i check my receiver and confirm it is the multi-channel, high-resolution track.
Not sure whether it is the same behavior as on your Panny/Onkyo, but this is what i learned from oppo service.

Yep, tried that on disc 1 of the Tommy DVD-A. Keeps going back to Root Menu. I don't have the beta firmware; I downloaded the new one posted yesterday.
lanping09's Avatar lanping09 12:02 PM 07-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Yep, tried that on disc 1 of the Tommy DVD-A. Keeps going back to Root Menu. I don't have the beta firmware; I downloaded the new one posted yesterday.

Mine is also on 0707 official. hope some other friends on this thread can help double-check it.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 12:10 PM 07-14-2011
I suspect there may be a difference that affects what the player does during the Stop/Play cycle, such as whether an external media drive is attached or whether AutoPlay is ON. Oppo tech support can sort this out with you.
--Bob
Flexx's Avatar Flexx 01:03 PM 07-14-2011
Quote:

I suspect there may be a difference that affects what the player does during the Stop/Play cycle, such as whether an external media drive is attached or whether AutoPlay is ON. Oppo tech support can sort this out with you.
--Bob

My setup is all analog, nothing connected to the BDP-95 (as a media drive), fyi. I'll follow up with Oppo when I have more time to troubleshoot this weekend.

On the analog front Bob, your earlier post made reference about the ICT possibly being implemented in the next year on Blu-ray software to limit analog component of content to 480. Have you heard this from industry or other reliable sources? Last I heard in the first quarter, there were no plans to implement the restriction on software, even though of course the capability is there. Also seems like it would create bad buzz when Blu-ray sales need all the momentum it can get.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:37 PM 07-14-2011
Do a search for Blu-ray analog sunset. They have it all mapped out in stages that end with no more Component output jacks even offered on new players. As it evolves, I expect studios will be emboldened to author new titles burdened with the ICT restriction.
--Bob
Flexx's Avatar Flexx 01:41 PM 07-14-2011
Quote:

Do a search for Blu-ray analog sunset. They have it all mapped out in stages that end with no more Component output jacks even offered on new players. As it evolves, I expect studios will be emboldened to author new titles burdened with the ICT restriction.
--Bob

Thx Bob, yes I was aware of this and knew the hardware side was already being implemented (one of the reasons I bought the BDP-95). I had a communication earlier this year with Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits and while I cannot remember exactly his words, my paraphrase is that the studios were not planning to flip the switch on the software side anytime soon.

As you say, this is evolving and just wondering if there was new info.

Thx again for all your input!
billnln's Avatar billnln 08:46 PM 07-14-2011
Hi
I downloaded Billy Burnette's 96/24 albom from HD Tracks and there were VERY loud pops and cracks in the music. Oppo says they are aware of the problem, but were not very encouraging about a fix. It sounds like some albums work and some don't.
I love the sound of the Oppo and hi rez music, so I am hoping members might mention problem downloads. The pops and cracks sound like they are going to rip the tweeter out.
Thank you for any help.
Bill
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 09:29 PM 07-14-2011
Unfortunately there is a long history of HDTrack FLAC files producing these kind of errors with the player. OPPO is well aware of the errors, and has been collecting samples for several months, but no solutions are yet available to remove these playback errors for certain HDTrack FLAC files.
brucelee's Avatar brucelee 10:04 AM 07-15-2011
I too have had problems with flac downloads. The previous beta software seemed to fix most of them.
I have found that re-converting the files to flac using dBpoweramp helps.
billnln's Avatar billnln 12:57 PM 07-15-2011
Hi
I had phoned Oppo about my download problem--- so they didn't have my email.
However after posting on the thread, I got an email with a new update that fixed the Billy Burnette problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

William,

Ensure that you have upgraded the firmware to the 52-0707 Firmware ([url]( I wasn't allowed to post url yet) as this contains fixes for some FLAC media compatibility errors.

Additional errors with HDTrack's files are known and we are trying to resolve these with HDTrack engineers.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

____________________________________________________________ _____

My reply:

You guys are great, thanks for making the effort to get back to me and to fix a peace of music that I love.
I had a top Sony ES from a few years ago and the red book and especially
the hi rez are a big improvment on the 95
Also --what a great thing the 95 form is---to learn things and have an opportunity to ask questions to some really smart people who answer without guile.
Thank you very much.
Bill
____________________________________________________________ ____

Thanks to all
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 01:39 PM 07-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Thanks for your response, but I already knew DVD was limited to 480p. I'm happy to know that the 95 will play 1080i over component because I need component for my dinosaur, the Pioneer Elite Pro 720HD. Although I also own a sony xbr8, everyone tells me I would be crazy to get rid of my 64" Elite. If the Oppo 95 sounds better on its analog outs than the latest Sony ES blu-ray and SACD players, then I will get the Oppo and use the sonys in my bedroom system.

Hi my Elite 64 700hd bit the dust 2 months ago ( moment of silence!) And Iwasn't going to replace it till it died. Having owned a Pioneer 51fd prior to the 95 both my wife and I pefered the 95 more! , even with 480p. the 1080i over component looked outstanding and that setup will be sorely missed I'm replacing it with a Mitsu/73783 which should be here Teusday. For the moment I'm a mixed bag of emotions black level, Hdmi issues motion etc etc.. On the bright side of things is the Marvel chipset and the 9 inch size increase which has me a little excited!

Hope this helps!
sakonk's Avatar sakonk 10:22 AM 07-16-2011
I got the Oppo 95 last week and I have been using it for playing music from CDs and EXT.HDD sometimes. Today I got analog RCA cables from my friend, I connected the cables on the L/R stereo and L/R on the AVR. I tried playing MP3 from the EXT. HDD and the sound is much better but when I changed into CD music.....the problem came. The sound was skipped and stuttered(the number in front of the Oppo also skipped by 2 second) then I changed back to HDMI, the problem was gone...???? I tried disable hdmi audio but still no use.
This is my connections
HDMI 1 >>>>> TV (picture), HDMI 2 >>>> AVR (sound) and Stereo Analog >>>>> L,R CD in at AVR(Denon 4311).
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD 10:42 AM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakonk View Post

I got the Oppo 95 last week and I have been using it for playing music from CDs and EXT.HDD sometimes. Today I got analog RCA cables from my friend, I connected the cables on the L/R stereo and L/R on the AVR. I tried playing MP3 from the EXT. HDD and the sound is much better but when I changed into CD music.....the problem came. The sound was skipped and stuttered(the number in front of the Oppo also skipped by 2 second) then I changed back to HDMI, the problem was gone...???? I tried disable hdmi audio but still no use.
This is my connections
HDMI 1 >>>>> TV (picture), HDMI 2 >>>> AVR (sound) and Stereo Analog >>>>> L,R CD in at AVR(Denon 4311).

Do you have the latest FW?
sakonk's Avatar sakonk 11:01 AM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Do you have the latest FW?

Yes, I just updated few hours ago. I think I found the problem now. I tried connecting HDMI 1 to AVR and from AVR to TV instead. So far everything still ok looks like HDMI 2 interrupt the analog signal. Do you have the same problem?
Mp0wer's Avatar Mp0wer 11:43 AM 07-16-2011
It seems scrolling through the home menu is much faster compared to BDP9x-42-0323...Thanks Oppo
sakonk's Avatar sakonk 11:44 AM 07-16-2011
Another prob. that I found is whenever I play mkv. movie with DTS-HD, the movies will be freezed.... So far I can play only one movie that has dts-hd(Ironman2). But whenever I switched to other language which is dts or DD, the movie can play fine. Again.....I tried with beta fw and the lastest fw which they have same problem.
Mp0wer's Avatar Mp0wer 11:47 AM 07-16-2011
Quote:

I connected the cables on the L/R stereo and L/R on the AVR.

Hey Sakonk are you using the EXT inputs on the Denon 4311?
Flexx's Avatar Flexx 11:48 AM 07-16-2011
Quote:

Well...I upgraded and have to give Oppo points for trying. I spun up a few DVD-A discs, including The Who - Tommy which was in the video demo comparison I did with the Panny and Onkyo DVD-A universal players and the Direct Play feature didn't work as expected on most of the discs. Hitting STOP and PLAY just gets you to the Main Menu. The BDP-95 is still not able to do what my Panny and Onkyo players can do (at least for the 4-5 DVD-A discs I've tried), with the exception of one title so far: Bonnie Raitt's Nick of Time.

Oh well. YMMV with DVD-A Direct Play in this update. Still appreciate the effort.

Okay...

I can now confirm that the Direct Play feature works fine on my system. After some basic troubleshooting, I realized that due to the somewhat sticky Oppo remote buttons, I was hitting the Stop key TWICE, which apparently negates the Direct Play feature.

As has been said here already, if you wait until the disc spins up and gets to Root Menu, press Stop ONCE and then Play and Direct Play occurs.

I've tried out a bunch of DVD-As and the feature works consistently.

Just don't hit the Stop button twice.

Cheers,
F
voigtskins's Avatar voigtskins 02:20 PM 07-16-2011
Just purchased the 95 from Music Direct and has firmware BDP9X-38-0126 and was made in April 2011.I have been trying to update to new firmware using USB stick and the OPPO 95 can not see an update.I have been upgrading my old BDP-93 and BDP83 this way for a few years and all went great.I have done the upgrade from OPPO the same way as the previous upgrades but this player will not accept the new upgrade.Please any help wiil be app.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 02:40 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Just purchased the 95 from Music Direct and has firmware BDP9X-38-0126 and was made in April 2011.I have been trying to update to new firmware using USB stick and the OPPO 95 can not see an update.I have been upgrading my old BDP-93 and BDP83 this way for a few years and all went great.I have done the upgrade from OPPO the same way as the previous upgrades but this player will not accept the new upgrade.Please any help wiil be app.

"Cannot see an update". Does this mean that when you insert the stick nothing happens? If so, navigate through setup to firmware update and point it to the USB drive. Make sure that the drive has the "UPG" folder in it's root with the firmware files inside that. It all that fails, download the FW again and start over.

If the player is connected to the internet it should grab the update from there when the tray is opened or the player is first turned on.
Gremal's Avatar Gremal 02:48 PM 07-16-2011
I updated my firmware to the latest and now I can't output DSD without the signal being interrupted every couple seconds. It is so annoying that I stopped listening to multichannel SACDs and use analog to output two-channel. If this isn't corrected soon I will probably restore the Oppo to factor specs.
voigtskins's Avatar voigtskins 03:22 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

"Cannot see an update". Does this mean that when you insert the stick nothing happens? If so, navigate through setup to firmware update and point it to the USB drive. Make sure that the drive has the "UPG" folder in it's root with the firmware files inside that. It all that fails, download the FW again and start over.

If the player is connected to the internet it should grab the update from there when the tray is opened or the player is first turned on.

I did go into the USB drive in the firmware update and point to USB drive but does not see the UPG folder.I have done this many times withuout a problem.I wonder if the firmware is too old and missing the last few updates if that is the problem!! Anyone have a fix.
voigtskins's Avatar voigtskins 03:36 PM 07-16-2011
The new firmware just worked!!!! Thanks for the help!!
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:40 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:

I did go into the USB drive in the firmware update and point to USB drive but does not see the UPG folder.I have done this many times withuout a problem.I wonder if the firmware is too old and missing the last few updates if that is the problem!! Anyone have a fix.

Take the USB stick back to your computer and verify that it is formatted as FAT. Check that at the top level the USB stick contains the UPG folder and that inside that UPG folder are the update files.

Make sure that you have downloaded the firmware appropriate for your player. For the BDP-95 you get it from the Oppo Digital site here in the US. For the European BDP-95EU you get it from the Oppo UK site.

The new firmware contains all the updates, and the installation doesn't depend on your having done older updates or not.

Sometimes USB flash sticks get corrupted. On your computer, try re-formatting it (which will erase anything on it). Download a fresh copy of the correct firmware, unzip that, and put the resulting UPG folder on the newly formatted USB stick and try again.

When inserting the stick in the Oppo port, make sure it is fully inserted and that the little port flap is not getting in the way and preventing full insertion.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:41 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:

The new firmware just worked!!!! Thanks for the help!!

Well good. What did you do differently?
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:43 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post

I updated my firmware to the latest and now I can't output DSD without the signal being interrupted every couple seconds. It is so annoying that I stopped listening to multichannel SACDs and use analog to output two-channel. If this isn't corrected soon I will probably restore the Oppo to factor specs.

How are you wired up when the problem manifests? If you are using HDMI 1 for video and HDMI 2 for audio, try setting HDMI Video Only (HDMI 1) to ON.

Are you sure that the AVR you are connected to for HDMI Audio is able to accept HDMI DSD input?
--Bob
Flexx's Avatar Flexx 03:46 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post

I just popped in a few m/c SACDs and did not encounter this issue. I'm using an analog set-up (No HDMI for audio and video).

Will try more SACDs later.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:48 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:

This is my connections

You should probably call Oppo tech support on this one. I don't know of a case where CD playback on Analog would do this but CD playback on HDMI would work without problem.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:49 PM 07-16-2011
Quote:

Okay...

I can now confirm that the Direct Play feature works fine on my system. After some basic troubleshooting, I realized that due to the somewhat sticky Oppo remote buttons, I was hitting the Stop key TWICE, which apparently negates the Direct Play feature.

As has been said here already, if you wait until the disc spins up and gets to Root Menu, press Stop ONCE and then Play and Direct Play occurs.

I've tried out a bunch of DVD-As and the feature works consistently.

Just don't hit the Stop button twice.

Cheers,
F

Well good job sticking with it to figure this out!
--Bob
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 155  156  157 158  159  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop