Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

If I understood correctly you could hear a difference but not a significant difference. To me that is normal because I also hear much more significant difference between a good quality recording and an average one than the difference between my media players and amps. Some of my Telarc, Sheffield lab, Chando CDs sound significantly more transparent and better overall than some of my SACDs. What you and I consider insignificant difference between medium players could be considered significant by others. It is difficult to gauge how people perceive the way we describe "significant". The RC70's are not the best speakers available but they are definitely not your bottleneck.

Within my gear limitations above, I can't say that I do hear a difference (listening to well recorded CD content only). I suppose my amps/speakers limitations probably might mean that I should have gone with the 93, but I eventually will upgrade some components and I definitely wanted the network/USB HD playback capabilities. I still have my 23 year-old Pioneer PD-7100 CD player (the laser lens fell off recently, but I managed to do a micro-surgical epoxy job with success) also sounds fantastic with good CD content. Glad to hear that you think my RC70s aren't my bottleneck. Probably my ears (closing in on 60) are one significant bottleneck, but then hey, perhaps with poorer hearing response, the harsher audio-components in poor CD recordings don't actually sound so bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Here's a simple idea if you wish to use a small (low power) earphone headset with any standard line-out. Some of these headphones have very good sound quality. Since many modern headphones (earbuds) require very low power to drive at a confortable listening level, it is possible to use a simple passive output voltage divider and not load down the line-out and provide good drive capability. For example, the BDP-95 has LM4562NA output opamp drivers with 100 ohm output series resistance. Placing a simple 1kohm/100 ohm output divider will sink at most 3 mA from the output opamps (essentially a 1kohm load) which is well within the 25mA drive capability of these, or virtually any modern lineout driver circuits. Depending on the headphone impedance, which in this case is intended for 30 - 60ohm, the output attention will be ~ -20 to -30 dB. Here is the simple voltage divider circuit: passive earphone voltage divider for line-out
With this configuration, the digital signal level of the player can be set at 100%. Tested with Creative Technologies 30 ohm headsets and both BDP-83 and BDP-95
post #5403 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Problem with playing MKV file. Lately, when playing back some 16x9 720p and 1080p movie files, some came out stretched to full 16x9 projection screen with a elongated image from top to bottom. When played through a media player, the aspect ratio is normal, anybody experienced that? Thank for any feedback!
post #5404 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

Problem with playing MKV file. Lately, when playing back some 16x9 720p and 1080p movie files, some came out stretched to full 16x9 projection screen with a elongated image from top to bottom. When played through a media player, the aspect ratio is normal, anybody experienced that? Thank for any feedback!

Does switching between WIDE and WIDE/AUTO make a difference?

Else, try reauthoring a sample with mkvmerge. MKV has two sets of image dimensions and both must be correct. mkvmerge seems to fix it up.

-Bill
post #5405 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Make sure that your TV Aspect Ratio (Video Setup) is set to 16:9 Wide/Auto and not 16:9 Wide.
post #5406 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Good to read a comparison piece Dave [most reviews so far tend to be singular]

I think its well to remember the nuforce boards have had their thd harmonics tweaked to sound like tube amplification ;so ancillary equipment is important and solid state is liked by many . It would be fascinating to get a readout of the ess dacs jitter figures[with its jitter reduction circuitry] and the jitter from the nxe with its vcx clock ;no chance of that though unfortunately

Try this jitter plot for size ...
LL

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #5407 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Have the issues with MC channel mapping errors via USB/streaming playback been fixed now? If so what firmware version addressed that?
post #5408 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10
My BDP-95 arrived today. It is replacing a Oppo BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition. I'm looking forward to comparing the two-channel performance of the two players.

Mike
post #5409 of 11138 Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

Have the issues with MC channel mapping errors via USB/streaming playback been fixed now? If so what firmware version addressed that?

The only previous error was with 5.1 WAV, and that was fixed several FW revisions ago.
post #5410 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Try this jitter plot for size ...

Very impressive Dave;usually the noise plots just show the thd + noise floor.
The outlier as audioholics notes is whether the l/r stacked dacs are used for the multi-analogs;

Quote:

It's important to note that the analog circuits for the dedicated stereo output are very similar to the standard FL/FR outputs for the BDP-95 except for the lower I/V converter resistor values (lower noise floor) due to the stacking of 4 DAC channels.

post #5411 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

I am having the exactly the same issue here on some new MKVs.

Changing between WIDE and WIDE/AUTO does not resolve the issue here.

Any further suggestions?
post #5412 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by somchart View Post

I am having the exactly the same issue here on some new MKVs.

Changing between WIDE and WIDE/AUTO does not resolve the issue here.

Any further suggestions?

In addition to using 16:9 Wide/Auto, make sure you are using an explicit output resolution, i.e., NOT Source Direct.

If that doesn't do it for you, get a sample file to Oppo tech support so they can take a look at it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5413 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The only previous error was with 5.1 WAV, and that was fixed several FW revisions ago.

Yes I meant only 5.1 WAV. For reference, some of the original posts on this are:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?20241812#post20241812 and a later comment
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20441106. Did someone post a follow up on this in this thread that I missed? I can't see the release notes for earlier FW releases.

Addendum: Oppo confirmed that this problem was fixed in 50-0608B Firmware.
post #5414 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM

I am attempting to connect my BDP-95 to my Integra DHC 80.1 via the XLR connections but, I am getting no sound.

I'm thinking I have a XLR setup issue with either the BDP-95 or my DHC 80.1.

Anybody have the same setup that works properly or advice on how I should configure each unit to function as intended?

I do know that both the 80.1 and the 95 have the same XLR pin configuration.

The 80.1 and 95 are working perfectly utilizing the HDMI connections.

Thanks,

Mike
post #5415 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm interested in hearing how users with large CD music collections are using their collections. Obviously, listening to single CD at a time makes sense if you listen for short sessions or if that is your listening style plus the benefit of segregated content. What I'm more interested in is how listeners are assembling their music library to USB or SATA (or even DVD_ROM /DVD-A wav/flac compilations) . Are you working towards having your entire audio collection on a single large USB/sata drive? or do you have multiple smaller (say ~250 Gb) drives to separate your content types? What about tagging your content? how much time to you spend with that part?
post #5416 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrcr View Post

I am attempting to connect my BDP-95 to my Integra DHC 80.1 via the XLR connections but, I am getting no sound.

I'm thinking I have a XLR setup issue with either the BDP-95 or my DHC 80.1.

Anybody have the same setup that works properly or advice on how I should configure each unit to function as intended?

I do know that both the 80.1 and the 95 have the same XLR pin configuration.

The 80.1 and 95 are working perfectly utilizing the HDMI connections.

Thanks,

Mike

This is common because the setup in the Integra is weird. You have to hit Home->Audio->and then select balanced or something along those lines. I don't remember it verbatum. Hope this helps.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #5417 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

^^^^
Thank you! Yes, that is what I'm reading. The Owners manual doesn't seem to mention that...

Hopefully I'll be able to listen to some music through the XLR's tonight.

Mike
post #5418 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:

Yes I meant only 5.1 WAV. For reference, some of the original posts on this are:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?20241812#post20241812 and a later comment
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20441106. Did someone post a follow up on this in this thread that I missed? I can't see the release notes for earlier FW releases.

Addendum: Oppo confirmed that this problem was fixed in 50-0608B Firmware.

The firmware release notes can be found in the first post of the BDP-93 sticky thread at the top of this Forum.

However, this particular fix was not listed. I'm not sure why. The Beta testers certainly gave them enough heat about it until they fixed it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5419 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

I'm interested in hearing how users with large CD music collections are using their collections.

All converted to FLAC (some with with meta tags) and stored on HDD. Storing them on DVD or BD disc will hugely increase access times compared to HDD.

Organizing folders by genre and artist seems to work very well.
post #5420 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm interested in hearing how users with large CD music collections are using their collections. Obviously, listening to single CD at a time makes sense if you listen for short sessions or if that is your listening style plus the benefit of segregated content. What I'm more interested in is how listeners are assembling their music library to USB or SATA (or even DVD_ROM /DVD-A wav/flac compilations) . Are you working towards having your entire audio collection on a single large USB/sata drive? or do you have multiple smaller (say ~250 Gb) drives to separate your content types? What about tagging your content? how much time to you spend with that part?

All my music files (90% Flac) are on a single 1.5TB external HDD, connected by USB to the rear of the Oppo 95EU.
I created folders per style : Classical, Pop, Jazz etc
For Classical (90% of my music), which I arrange alphabetically per composer, I created 16 subfolders (= 2 'screens' in the Oppo Browser) : Albeniz - Barber, Bartok - Boulanger, Brahms - Chabrier etc in which I put 1 folder per composer.
Inside every folder of a composer, I created subfolders 'Orchestral', 'Concertos', 'Solo', 'Chamber Music', 'Vocal' in which I put the albums.
If I really have many albums for one subfolder, I simply create more subfolders : e.g. 'Solo' for J.S. Bach contains subfolder 'Keyboard', which then contains subfolders 'Partitas', 'Well-Tempered Clavier', 'Goldberg Variations', etc.
By doing so, I can quite quickly access the album I want to listen to, without having to scroll too much in the Oppo browser.

Concerning tagging, I created my music folders on my PC according to this naming scheme: Composer - Title - Artist (e.g. Chopin - 4 Ballades, Fantaisie, Barcarolle - K. Zimerman) and for the tracks : Track # - Title - Artist (e.g. 04 Ballade No.4 Op.52 - K. Zimerman).
I spent probably hundreds of hours to have all my music files in accordance with this scheme. A very useful program was Bulk Rename Utility !
I did all this work during the months before the release of the 95EU, so that when I finally got my player, even though it couldn't read Flac-tags at that time, I was able to see all the information from the folder/file name.
Afterwards, with MP3Tag, it was a piece of cake to create the tags, using the "Filename to Tag" function.
post #5421 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post

Why isn't anybody comparing the Oppo BDP-95 to it's nearest competition. The Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD.

Just from a patriotic standpoint I'd be inclined to get the Oppo as it's an American company "Made in China" as opposed to the British Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD "Made in China" but our British allies have a tradition and reputation for engineering some of the finist audio gear in the world.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM1 speakers and I'm inclined to think the the 751BD will give the 95 a run for the money and maybe best it on some points such as performance. the 751BD does not support streaming media such as netflix but I already have that in my PS3.

I can't say much on the Oppo vs the Cambridge, although I like my Oppo 83SE-NE and my DacMagic.

I stopped caring where things are made, since we are living in a global economy anyway. I have a German car made in USA. I have American amps made in China. I bought my Japanese AVR in a Belgian shop. But I have to say that if all things are equal, I like to buy as local as possible.

Now, I do have a B&W 5.1 CM-series set-up. LR is CM7 (now replaced by CM8). These are superb. Center CMC and Surround CM1 are far less impressive IMO. It must be the FST ("fixed") midrange of the larger CM's that make them shine. So my advice is to stick to the CM8, CM9 or CMC2. I think you can get better speakers for the price of those CM1's. Try Dali, they have some outstanding small speakers.

I want Auro-3D 13.3 Surround!
post #5422 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

This is common because the setup in the Integra is weird. You have to hit Home->Audio->and then select balanced or something along those lines. I don't remember it verbatum. Hope this helps.

Thanks again! I don't know what Integra was thinking when they designed their setup process for the XLR's and Multi-channel inputs. Very strange. Anyway, as expected, no problems with the 95 (in fact Oppo's service was a huge help...with the Integra no less) and the music is playing!

I can't wait to spend some time listening to some 2ch music through the 95.

Mike
post #5423 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

I can't say much on the Oppo vs the Cambridge, although I like my Oppo 83SE-NE and my DacMagic.

I stopped caring where things are made, since we are living in a global economy anyway. I have a German car made in USA. I have American amps made in China. I bought my Japanese AVR in a Belgian shop. But I have to say that if all things are equal, I like to buy as local as possible.

Now, I do have a B&W 5.1 CM-series set-up. LR is CM7 (now replaced by CM8). These are superb. Center CMC and Surround CM1 are far less impressive IMO. It must be the FST ("fixed") midrange of the larger CM's that make them shine. So my advice is to stick to the CM8, CM9 or CMC2. I think you can get better speakers for the price of those CM1's. Try Dali, they have some outstanding small speakers.

I'll take your advice regarding speakers under consideration. It's just that the CM1's are the only ones I can get to listen to at the Local Best Buy's Magnolia store. But seriously, what about the Azur 751BD vs the Oppo BDP-95. I'm inclined to consider the 751BD's Wolfson WM8740 DAC's better then the the BDP-95 ESS Saber32 reference 9018 DAC's unless the two are compared side by side for sound quality, musicality, depth and the ability to bring out the slightest nuances in the music as mastered in the studio particularly with 96Khz 24bit and 192Khz 24bit audio and even 44,1Khz 16bit CD's. There must be somebody else in the world that is curious regarding the difference's between these two players. I went to Tustin CA to Digital Ear www.digitalear.com to have a look at the Azur 751BD. It was about a 40 minute drive from where I live in Los Angeles but I had to have a look at this player and hear it for myself and I just happened to run into the store owner himself as I walked through the door and through a busy man, he was kind enough to run some high definition audio through the 751BD hooked up to a Mcintosh Pre/Power amp and a pair of Focal Grand Utopia speakers. You have to see these bad boys to believe it. I was humbled. This was my first introduction to high end or what some might call "Boutique" audio. The definition, clarity, presence, accuracy, depth and warmth of the sound was unbelievable. Well sadly, I'm afraid that I cannot afford a Mcintosh Pre/Power amp or a pair of Focal Grand Utopia speakers but I can afford either a Oppo BDP-95 or a Cambridge Audio 751BD universal player so I'm looking at any opinions.
post #5424 of 11138 Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM

The Oppo is compared to the Cambridge Audio in the review linked below from the British magazine What Hifi:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/bdp-95eu
post #5425 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:

I'm interested in hearing how users with large CD music collections are using their collections.

I've spent many hours ripping my CD collection to FLAC using dBpoweramp (and I'm still not done yet!). All on a USB drive, backed up on 2 further drives.

Next step, when I find the time, is to create subfolders.
post #5426 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post

I've spent many hours ripping my CD collection to FLAC using dBpoweramp (and I'm still not done yet!). All on a USB drive, backed up on 2 further drives.

Next step, when I find the time, is to create subfolders.

Thanks to everyone who responded above. I guess the thing to "get right the first time" is how you name the files when ripped to assist with more automated tagging (for fla). I was wondering about backing up you drives in case of failure particularly after massive time spent with ripping/compilation. I was also wondering about ripping tools. I have used EAC, Nero 7 and WaveLab. Any comments on dBpoweramp ripped quality compared to say EAC in terms of error correction? is that a real issue in practice?
Any other tools folks here use (MP3tag and Bulk Rename Utility already noted) and why they are particularly recommended?
post #5427 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All converted to FLAC (some with with meta tags) and stored on HDD. Storing them on DVD or BD disc will hugely increase access times compared to HDD.

Organizing folders by genre and artist seems to work very well.

By access time you are referring to the usual DVD load/track-access time versus HDD indexing access I presume?
Is anying organizing into say DVD-A iso-image files (so there is some organization with content/images) which according to an earlier post can be larger than 4.7 Gb? I find DVD-A iso on HDD is quite fast in loading. Are there any benefits to organizing into iso image files like this versus basic folder/file generation on HD/USB? (except for the obvious one that you can manually edit folder/file layout easily on HD)
post #5428 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Any comments on dBpoweramp ripped quality compared to say EAC in terms of error correction? is that a real issue in practice?

I don't think it's an issue at all. dBpoweramp compares an MD5 to a commercial database (costs a yearly fee) and flags a rip as accurate or not. Whenever an album is not in the database I just rip it at least twice. That way, if the result is the same I manually flag it as accurate. I just keep going until it's right. The whole process is quite time consuming, especially when your naming scheme is different than the one in their database, so backing up at least to one, better two more drives is essential IMHO.
post #5429 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Thanks to everyone who responded above. I guess the thing to "get right the first time" is how you name the files when ripped to assist with more automated tagging (for fla). I was wondering about backing up you drives in case of failure particularly after massive time spent with ripping/compilation. I was also wondering about ripping tools. I have used EAC, Nero 7 and WaveLab. Any comments on dBpoweramp ripped quality compared to say EAC in terms of error correction? is that a real issue in practice?
Any other tools folks here use (MP3tag and Bulk Rename Utility already noted) and why they are particularly recommended?

This line of discussion is really heading far into OT territory, but...

IMHO, getting the tagging correct is a lot more important than getting the file names the way you want them. I use J River Media Center to handle my ripping. J River has a built in bulk file renaming tool that can be used to completely redo the file names and directory structure using the information in the tags. It can do things like take just the first 20 characters in the artist or song name (or any other tag field) so you can ensure you don't run into file names that are too long. You could take one big directory that contains all your music and use the tool to create a directory structure broken down by artist\\album (or whatever you want). I've been using J River for quite a while now and only realized this renaming tool even existed relatively recently - it's very handy. Obviously, one nice thing about this is that if you change your mind about how you want to name and structure your files after the fact, it's a simple matter of changing the rules the tool uses and run the tool again.

That said, this discussion really should move to a more appropriate forum as it's gotten away from discussing things that are Oppo specific.
post #5430 of 11138 Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 AM

What compression level do you use for flac? does it matter (except for file size)? i.e. are there any performance issues in decompressing for highest flac compression levels?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page