Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 11138 Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, figured it out and all is good

I'm getting old. My recent network setup (just moved) inspired me to enable WPS. Doh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 11138 Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks Bob I just saw your reply.

I was baffled by the fact that my computer could see the Oppo but the Oppo couldn't get confirmed on the net. Scan couln't get past network because I had WPS enabled so I ignored the WPS mode. Tragic error and a waste of my time. As a former IT manager, I would call that an ID 10t error.

IDIOT
post #5763 of 11138 Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
^ Suddenly, as if by logic...
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5764 of 11138 Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM

anyone else taking forever and a day to buffer songs via Pandora? I have a laptop that i can place in the same spot and the music goes on fairly instantly. The 95 logs into my account ok (I can see my stations) but it is taking forever to buffer...haven't heard one song yet (10min waiting). Something is up. Going to test another connection method but was just wondering if this is a Pandora conflict with the 95 or just some weird connection issue (even though I can go to netflix without issue).
post #5765 of 11138 Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post

anyone else taking forever and a day to buffer songs via Pandora? I have a laptop that i can place in the same spot and the music goes on fairly instantly. The 95 logs into my account ok (I can see my stations) but it is taking forever to buffer...haven't heard one song yet (10min waiting). Something is up. Going to test another connection method but was just wondering if this is a Pandora conflict with the 95 or just some weird connection issue (even though I can go to netflix without issue).

Buffering should be relatively fast when selecting channels, if it takes forever to buffer, that mean there is some kind of kind of connectivity issue. Perhaps power cycling the player for starters, then run a connection test first to verify you can contact Oppo via Internet OK, before going to Home Menu, and then launching Pandora.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5766 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Release date: September 12, 2011
Category: Public Beta Release
Main Version: BDP9x-55-0902
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)

Release Notes:

1. Added Pandora Internet Radio streaming. For public accounts (free registration), the audio quality is measured to be 44.1KHz/16bit, 2-channel. You can access Pandora through the player's Home Menu icon, Home Menu -> Internet, or by pressing SOURCE and selecting Pandora. Currently limited to U.S. residents only.

2. Improved the PGS subtitle support in M2TS/TS playback, through USB drive, external hard drive or DLNA streaming. Customers have reported that the movie picture could occasionally freeze up during the playback, while the OSD timing counter was still moving forward. The issue has been solved in this release.

3. Resolved the subtitle flickering or image stuttering issue during some 3D movie playback. This issue has been reported to happen randomly on some 3D movies released in Asia or Europe, sample titles include "Step Up", "SAW" and "Resident Evil: Afterlife".

4. Resolved the image vertical stretch issue observed on some legacy DVD's. Customers have reported that when playing these DVD's using HDMI 1 and setting Aspect Ratio to "16:9 Wide/Auto", the pictures were vertically stretched. This issue could happen to DVD's issued before or around 2000, and sample titles include "The Abyss", "Titanic", "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (2002)" and "1941 (1979)".

5. Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples. Sample movies include "Avatar (3D)", "Journey to Mecca" and "Alice (2009 Miniseries)".

Am I seeing this correctly? That Pandora is played at cd level fidelity? How many megabits per second would that be?
post #5767 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 AM

Liked: 12
"the audio quality is measured to be 44.1KHz/16bit, 2-channel" doesn't really say much about the sound quality. It depends on the compression. 128kbs MP3s ripped from a CD are 44.1KHz/16bit too
post #5768 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Am I seeing this correctly? That Pandora is played at cd level fidelity? How many megabits per second would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post

"the audio quality is measured to be 44.1KHz/16bit, 2-channel" doesn't really say much about the sound quality. It depends on the compression. 128kbs MP3s ripped from a CD are 44.1KHz/16bit too

As far as we know, Pandora free is always 64Kb stereo on streaming devices. Higher bit rate is only available on PC.
post #5769 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Guys, I am streaming via DLNA just fine for all my FLAC and WAV music, etc. Last night, I also started streaming my directory of .mkv files ripped directly from my BluRay collection (sitting on the very same NAS as all my music). I use MakeMKV to rip these btw. I always rip only as .mkv, no other format is used EVER. However, on the 95, it shows some of my .mkv files as "WMV" and won't play them. This, despite the fact that I have absolutely NO WMV files on this server at all, nor would I ever rip or convert anything to WMV. It's strange, because it's not consistent. Out of about 120 total movie files on this server (all in the same directory), about 80 of them show up properly as MKV files and they play perfectly on the Oppo. About 40 others are not playing and show up as WMV files. I can only assure you that I would never use WMV as any part of my ripping process, so not sure where that is coming from. I've rescanned the directories several times with the DLNA "scanning" service on my NAS, but nothing changes, still lots of "WMV" files despite the fact that they are in reality mkv's on disc. Why is Oppo interpreting some of my files as WMV?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Brian
post #5770 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Guys, I am streaming via DLNA just fine for all my FLAC and WAV music, etc. Last night, I also started streaming my directory of .mkv files ripped directly from my BluRay collection (sitting on the very same NAS as all my music). I use MakeMKV to rip these btw. I always rip only as .mkv, no other format is used EVER. However, on the 95, it shows some of my .mkv files as "WMV" and won't play them. This, despite the fact that I have absolutely NO WMV files on this server at all, nor would I ever rip or convert anything to WMV. It's strange, because it's not consistent. Out of about 120 total movie files on this server (all in the same directory), about 80 of them show up properly as MKV files and they play perfectly on the Oppo. About 40 others are not playing and show up as WMV files. I can only assure you that I would never use WMV as any part of my ripping process, so not sure where that is coming from. I've rescanned the directories several times with the DLNA "scanning" service on my NAS, but nothing changes, still lots of "WMV" files despite the fact that they are in reality mkv's on disc. Why is Oppo interpreting some of my files as WMV?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Brian

Do you get the same behavior when the files are copied to locally attached storage: USB or optical disc?

You are running current firmware?

Do you know what the video codec inside the MKV is? I had a case early in testing where Twonky was showing an .asf file as WMV; the codec was WMV9 and I think it was looking at that rather than the container type. I think that was fixed, though.

-Bill
post #5771 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Liked: 11
Just want to verify my understanding of these:

- flac is not natively supported over HDMI (1.3+) so any flac played over HDMI must be decoded to PCM before streaming over HDMI?

- DLNA streaming can support direct streaming of flac (without transcoding) provided the DMS supports it and the DMP can decode/play flac?
post #5772 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

- flac is not natively supported over HDMI (1.3+) so any flac played over HDMI must be decoded to PCM before streaming over HDMI?

The question does not make sense, as there is no FLAC file being sent through a HDMI cable in any event.

The Oppo decodes the FLAC file (available through DLNA network access or USB/eSata storage) and sends PCM data over HDMI or S/PDIF, up to 24/192 (stereo). The DLNA server does not need to transcode FLAC files, as the Oppo supports the format.
post #5773 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 AM

I see earlier in the thread that folks are using a Xenarc 7" touchscreen monitor to control the BDP-95 for playback of music on USB drive. Can the monitor be run directly from the HDMI2 output? Will the touchscreen work that way? Or must the remote be used to control the BDP-95 and the Xenarc used as monitor only?
Would greatly prefer if touchscreen capability would work.

thanks
post #5774 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrostat View Post

I see earlier in the thread that folks are using a Xenarc 7" touchscreen monitor to control the BDP-95 for playback of music on USB drive. Can the monitor be run directly from the HDMI2 output? Will the touchscreen work that way? Or must the remote be used to control the BDP-95 and the Xenarc used as monitor only?
Would greatly prefer if touchscreen capability would work.

thanks

You have to use the Oppo remote.
post #5775 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:

The question does not make sense, as there is no FLAC file being sent through a HDMI cable in any event.

The Oppo decodes the FLAC file (available through DLNA network access or USB/eSata storage) and sends PCM data over HDMI or S/PDIF, up to 24/192 (stereo). The DLNA server does not need to transcode FLAC files, as the Oppo supports the format.

Thanks for verifying the above. What I meant was flac lossless encoding format. I realize that the flac file isn't sent directly over HDMI. HDMI does support other compression stream formats like DD and DTS and of course lossless packing in the stream.
post #5776 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

Just want to verify my understanding of these:

- DLNA streaming can support direct streaming of flac (without transcoding) provided the DMS supports it and the DMP can decode/play flac?

Correct. HDMI has a very limited set of codecs it supports for native transmission and decoding at the receiving end. HDMI can't transmit FLAC any more than it can transmit MP3. The FLAC content has to be decoded into something simpler HDMI can transmit -- e.g., LPCM.

The limitation for HDMI has to do with limiting the number of codecs receiving devices must handle, and also allowing for copy protection (which needs to have an understanding of any data format being transmitted).

DLNA, on the other hand, transmits files, not simply audio and video streams. Yes high bit rate FLAC over DLNA is supported.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5777 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM

For those who don't subscribe to stereophile mag. or can't get it locally, will the Sept. and Oct issue information on the 95 be eventually published at stereophile.com? what time scale?
post #5778 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Correct. HDMI has a very limited set of codecs it supports for native transmission and decoding at the receiving end. HDMI can't transmit FLAC any more than it can transmit MP3. The FLAC content has to be decoded into something simpler HDMI can transmit -- e.g., LPCM.

The limitation for HDMI has to do with limiting the number of codecs receiving devices must handle, and also allowing for copy protection (which needs to have an understanding of any data format being transmitted).

DLNA, on the other hand, transmits files, not simply audio and video streams. Yes high bit rate FLAC over DLNA is supported.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. As always, you shed great insight into your responses.
post #5779 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

It looks like free articles appear on the Stereophile web site about 60 days after the paper issues are released, but I'm not sure ALL content gets put on line this way. Of course you can also pay for their electronic edition which comes out at the same time as the official street date of the paper copies. So far, free access to the September write up on the BDP-95 has not appeared on their web site, much less this new, October, A+ listing info.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there appear to be unauthorized, ahem, PDF files floating about out there as well.... (I don't think the fine people here at AVS would appreciate such things being linked or posted here.)
--Bob

post #5780 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Hi
As someone has already said --you here the air from the fan more than the fan itself.
If you move the 95 to another position or maybe even move your cables or change the air flow in some way---things will get better---or worse.
Don't put it in a corner with a whistle behind it.

One of the best reasons to get the 95 is to try hi-rez content.
As time goes by we will be "more" able to identify why there is a differance.

Again --thanks everyone for helping me to buy a A+ player.

Bill
post #5781 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Received my October issue of Stereophile and OPPO has finally released an "A+" product for their "SACD, DVD-Audio & CD Players & Transports & Music Servers" category. The BDP-95 is also the cheapest in the category at $999 MSRP, followed by the Sony SCD-XA5400ES at $1500 MSRP.

You are right! I just received my October issue of Stereophile and the BDP-95 is in fact rated A+. I could have sworn that earlier this year Stereophile released their best 500 components. Anyone want to donate for me to get a hearing aid. Incidentally, my apologies.
post #5782 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Are you sure LOL! It's the giant now and bad as I hate to say it, told you guys so!

Congradulations, you did tell us so. I guess as Sly said in the '70s different strokes...." I will, however, expect the first dollar for my hearing aid to come from you.
post #5783 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you need DLNA only for audio streaming, the foobar2000 DLNA server plugin is extremely effective and simple.

Thanks.
I'm a "simple" guy!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #5784 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnln View Post

Don't put it in a corner with a whistle behind it.

OK
Good too know!!!
(from the guy who posted: 'it's the air, silly!'. )

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #5785 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Do people still uses whistles in their AV racks? I thought wind chimes were the way to go.
--Bob

post #5786 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Sorry. Not so.

I did not see your post, but now I see my information was incorrect. I could have sworn that I was a list of 500 recommended components in Stereophile sometime around March of April this year. In any event, I would like for you to be the second contributor for my hearing aid.
post #5787 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Congradulations, you did tell us so. I guess as Sly said in the '70s different strokes...." I will, however, expect the first dollar for my hearing aid to come from you.

I'm guessing you might be on the fence again Some advice, this time, let it burn in as you did your Sony, remember I shared your same concerns on the 95 But it gave way to a soul. Musical truth is musical truth not subjected to our opinions. Personal interpretations can be biased and keep us from many rewards, unfortunately this is tainted by hidden motives at times. So if your only reason for still posting on the 95 is to comment on what you heard out the box for an insufficient amount of time, it only seems like returners remorse Personally I'm no fan boy although the 95 has made me even reconsider that position.And that's simply on its merits at what it does. First time Iv'e owned a true Universal player with no compromises and has opened my ear's to a new world via its usb playback, which is tremendous! upon hearing.

I for one won't say a thing if you buy another one
post #5788 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Do people still uses whistles in their AV racks? I thought wind chimes were the way to go.
--Bob

what about those "Bob-bing" dogs heads you see in cars?
post #5789 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Are you sure LOL! It's the giant now and bad as I hate to say it, told you guys so!

Yes you did, I still remember when I mentioned that the Oppo BDP-95 needed burn-in time, and I caught hell for saying that, but you supported my views. I am so glad to see the Oppo BDP-95 getting so many props now. It is an amazing product for the money spent. I just installed that Pandora upgrade and it looks great on my Samsung LED TV. My next project is to sell my Rogue Stereo 90 for the M-180 Mono Amps to really make my PSB Synchrony Ones sing! Maybe folks will not be so quick to make assessments on this product until a thorough burn-in process is conducted. Thirty days seems to be a sufficient amount of time to allow for this process.

Russell
post #5790 of 11138 Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Silly question: do newly installed programs like Pandora also need burn time? (Sounds pretty good to me.) More seriously, what factors make my Oppo sound better because it's been playing for a month? Capacitors? Resistors? ICs?

- Andy
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page