5Likes

post #6451 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Besides HDtracks who else has high res music for the 95?

and another list from Cirlinca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks guys. After looking at the offerings of these websites I guess I've been living under a rock for the last few decades. Never heard of a lot of the artists.
post #6453 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

Are you saying this is something that you can actually hear yourself (residual noise introduced in the 95 circuit somewhere due to fan) or are you speculating that it *might* introduce noise above the S/N noise specs of the 95?

Yes, "i might be speculating a bit here". Did I say that low enough so that no one really noticed(He,he,he!). The thing is I don't mind being a bit "fanatical" , the physical noise is non-existent & anything beyond that is a "perk" I guess(but I guess I'm a bit stubborn . Just because I can't hear certain distortions does'nt mean that they don't exist at some micro level. I think we need to come up with vaccines for distortions living at the bacterial level so that some of us "Audio Nuts" can sleep better. Yup, I've lost it but I'm enjoying my "Gear Insanity" immensely!
post #6454 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

did you once drive for the Williams Formula-1 team? Also Indy 500?

Sadly not. Merely in nappies while the above was happening! Regarding hi res flacs for the 95, there are some excellent music blogs that have hi res vinyl rips etc.
post #6455 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Thanks guys. After looking at the offerings of these websites I guess I've been living under a rock for the last few decades. Never heard of a lot of the artists.

I had exactly the same feeling the first time I checked out the tracks on a DVD-A sampler disc!
post #6456 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Who is using Foobar2000 as a DLNA server with the oppo BDP-95? I have a number of flac files that are tagged with track info and album art in Foobar2000 but none of this information is streamed to the 95. The audio itself streams without issue.

Should I be seeing track info and art on the 95 or is this a known issue?
post #6457 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Daly View Post

Sadly not. Merely in nappies while the above was happening! Regarding hi res flacs for the 95, there are some excellent music blogs that have hi res vinyl rips etc.

Yep, some of the vinyl rips sound amazing for other type of HD audio HDtracks is about the only place to get 24bit 96K .flac files of artists anyone would have heard of.

They have Rush, Moody Blues, REM, Beck etc. but the selection is still very limited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6458 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by etzeppy View Post

Who is using Foobar2000 as a DLNA server with the oppo BDP-95? I have a number of flac files that are tagged with track info and album art in Foobar2000 but none of this information is streamed to the 95. The audio itself streams without issue.

For FLAC Album Art and other information needs to be embedded into the file. These will not populate from the server. This is something that OPPO may allow for in the future, but there are no guarantees.
post #6459 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Should I be seeing track info and art on the 95 or is this a known issue?

Me. And yes you should see the ID3 metadata tags AND album art (embedded in file), at least with foobar2000 v1.1.8.
Here are the foobar streaming profile settings I use (note the NEVER transcode to MP3 and the "except" flac for "Decode to PCM".
(You can check the "View \\ Console " in foobar to make sure there is no transcoding occurring).

Here is what the BDP95 display shows.
(great album btw .. "Duets" (First one) with Tony Bennett et al.
post #6460 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Me. And yes you should see the ID3 metadata tags AND album art (embedded in file), at least with foobar2000 v1.1.8.
Here are the foobar streaming profile settings I use (note the NEVER transcode to MP3 and the "except" flac for "Decode to PCM".
(You can check the "View \\ Console " in foobar to make sure there is no transcoding occurring).

How are you tagging? Perhaps that is the problem. I am using the Discogs plugin, which I think stores the info as metadata.
post #6461 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
"Mp3tag" works well for image imbedding and meta tags in FLAC.
post #6462 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

How are you tagging? Perhaps that is the problem. I am using the Discogs plugin, which I think stores the info as metadata.

dBpoweramp CD Ripper (free version ... without AccurRip). ID3 tags taken from database dbPowerAmp uses.
I added the album art by scanning the CD cover-art and manually adding it with foobar2000 (Tagging \\ Attach pictures ...)
post #6463 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM

I just noticed that a corrupt Flac file (which plays about half-way through) causes a nasty hang of my 95. At first I thought it was a streaming issue (from foobar2000) so I played the same flac trac back via USB media and the same thing happened ... plays ~ half way through and then stops .. timer stuck. The only way to get any response from the 95 is to power-down. Flac ripped using dBpoweramp CD Ripper ... not sure if this is an isolated corrupt rip.
post #6464 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Your profile info helped me. I think I was transcoding to wav instead of playing flac. The track info is now streaming but the art is not. I don't think the Discogs art is embedded in the file, so that should be fixable. Thank for the help on this.

Update: The art works if I attach instead of using default Discogs art tags, which seems to just drop a file in the directory. Thanks again.
post #6465 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an OPPO 95, a MRX 700 AVR and a Panasonic Plasma as well as a wi fi network. I can get a subscription to Sirius/XM for internet very cheap since I have it in the car already. All of my units can get almost every form of av know to man. The only thing I want to listen to on XM is the 40's channel. I can't find a good 40's internet station to add to the MRX service which they will do if I ask. What is the easiest way to do this. I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a server in my PC for just this one application.
post #6466 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Have you tried searching Pandora for "40's music"? It might be as easy as using Pandora with the 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolsen187 View Post

I have an OPPO 95, a MRX 700 AVR and a Panasonic Plasma as well as a wi fi network. I can get a subscription to Sirius/XM for internet very cheap since I have it in the car already. All of my units can get almost every form of av know to man. The only thing I want to listen to on XM is the 40's channel. I can't find a good 40's internet station to add to the MRX service which they will do if I ask. What is the easiest way to do this. I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a server in my PC for just this one application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6467 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
The Orb.com products discussed previously in this thread could provide an inexpensive interim solution. Orb Caster (free download) running in a Mac or Windows PC will stream 3rd party services to an ORB BR disc (about $25) playing in the 95 on the same local network. Sirius is one of the supported services. Control it with a "mini controller" app running on the same computer (part of the Orb Caster download) or a free iOS or Android "Orb Controller" app. NOTE: This is new stuff, so it's probably not a bullet proof solution yet.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6468 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newStevea View Post

There is a simple work around this heat buildup problem but (there's always a "but" somewhere it seems) it involves "a leap of faith", "thinking a bit outside the box" attitude to remedy this heat build up problem. The simple solution(& this is where the "LoF" comes in) is to run the player without the case cover on the player. I have a piece of tinted glass that I've placed on 4 Herbies Tenderfoots on the top edge of the "coverless" player. The fan does not come on anymore & there is the added advantage the player has less vibration to deal with. I honestly believe the player sounds significantly better without the fan kicking in . Silent passages in music now are just that. I have been listening to a RCO live CD, from the 6th Anthology box set, of a live performance of the Mahler 5th Symphony that is simply stunning. CDs don't sound this good !! (or so I believed, the wow factor is definitely in play here)

WoW
That's is quite a leap!
Although it crossed my mind w/MWI PS 9.0 (part of the 95 tube mod).
I took the cover off that sucker & it rings like a bell!
Can't be good audiowise.
I wonder if I could get someone locally too vent (louver) the 95 cover?
Wouldn't feel comfortable w/o a complete cover (dust).
Butt there's got too be a better way.

Good luck w/your setup & thanks for sharing.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #6469 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared HD downloads too DVD-A's and/or SA-CD's?
Thanks.

post #6470 of 11236 Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How does orb compare to using a dlna server?
post #6471 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Has anyone compared HD downloads too DVD-A's and/or SA-CD's?
Thanks.

I've got a bit of all 3 formats...the HD downloads are only 2 CH and are flacs (may be other lossless choices too?) of the SACD/DVD-A master. Not sure of the process to convert the DSD/LPCM to flac. If the SACD is only 2 CH, you'd be hard-pressed to hear an audible difference between flac/disc.

Martin

SACD Library:  

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #6472 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Torqdog,

The newest official firmware release also allows setting each speaker's distance to 1/4 foot.
post #6473 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

How does orb compare to using a dlna server?

Two different things. DLNA servers are focused on presenting different file formats on the stream -- transcoding and such of media files already on your computer. Control is done via the file browsing UI in the OPPO.

The Orb stuff can also be used as a very simple DLNA server but its main focus is on accessing 3rd party services which can be played on the computer, and instead, streaming the results of such playback to the OPPO -- with control done via a Controller app running for example on an iPad.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6474 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Maybe it helps in your case, but now your no longer a EMI shielded player, dust gets inside, maybe to the optics. Really if your so worried about fan noise, put the player in a decent rack that attenuates the fan noise.

Agreed. I'm sure that OPPO did very careful thermal design of the enclosure and fan-switching characteristics. The top flat-black case will do a good job of spreading and dissipation of heat (barring adding a huge external heat sink!). That being said, a well vented rack (and of course your ambient temperature) will probably be the main factors determining how frequently (or even IF) the fan ever switchs on.
post #6475 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I've got a bit of all 3 formats...the HD downloads are only 2 CH and are flacs (may be other lossless choices too?) of the SACD/DVD-A master. Not sure of the process to convert the DSD/LPCM to flac. If the SACD is only 2 CH, you'd be hard-pressed to hear an audible difference between flac/disc.

Super!
I'm an old stereo guy anyway.

Hope this doesn't cost me too much $$$!!!

post #6476 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Super!
I'm an old stereo guy anyway.

Hope this doesn't cost me too much $$$!!!

It's a good way to acuire the hard to find SACD/DVD-A material (i.e. Beck - Sea Change). I'm waiting/hoping for the Alison Krauss - New Found Favorite and some Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden & Color of Spring would be a bonus too.

Martin

SACD Library:  

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #6477 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 12:58 PM

So, I got rid of the Pioneer Elite SC-37. Received the Marantz AV-7005 and Emotiva XPA-5 a couple days ago. Connected the BD-95 to the Marantz via HDMI and analog stereo. Connected the amp to the ML Vantage, Stage, and Montage. Depth-i is connected to the Av-7005.

I have read elsewhere on this thread where form members have tried going direct from the Oppo into the amp. Has anyone had any issues with that using the Emotiva?

Thanks.

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
post #6478 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I just noticed that a corrupt Flac file (which plays about half-way through) causes a nasty hang of my 95. At first I thought it was a streaming issue (from foobar2000) so I played the same flac trac back via USB media and the same thing happened ... plays ~ half way through and then stops .. timer stuck. The only way to get any response from the 95 is to power-down. Flac ripped using dBpoweramp CD Ripper ... not sure if this is an isolated corrupt rip.

I noticed that the dBpoweramp CD ripper AccurateRip confidence for these ripped tracks from this CD was only 5. I re-ripped and this time all tracks ripped with confidence of 7 (which is the normal high-accuracy result). Also, the 2nd time I ripped, it managed to retrieve the album-art cover from the database and embed in the flac file.

Still, it seems to me that if a player like the 95 hits a corruption in a track during playback, it should fail gracefully and not hang the player so that a power-cycling is necessary. Another sample off to OPPO!

btw, the bad flac file, when played back with foobar2000 (as a player) fails gracefully at 2min 17sec into the ~ 4 min flac track with this message:

"Decoding failure at 2:17.509 (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Michel Gallant\\Desktop\\becauseofyou.flac"
post #6479 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post

So, I got rid of the Pioneer Elite SC-37. Received the Marantz AV-7005 and Emotiva XPA-5 a couple days ago. Connected the BD-95 to the Marantz via HDMI and analog stereo. Connected the amp to the ML Vantage, Stage, and Montage. Depth-i is connected to the Av-7005.

I have read elsewhere on this thread where form members have tried going direct from the Oppo into the amp. Has anyone had any issues with that using the Emotiva?

Thanks.

If you want to forgo all the DSP goodies in the Marantz, it is up to you.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #6480 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

After using the Oppo with regular rca cables going through my Arcam receiver for months, I decided to connect it directly from the Oppo to my amp for my L&R channels music listening, and to be honest I noticed an improvement in sound but not dramatic one at that, then last week I was browsing the Monoprice website and I said to myself, why not buy a pair of XLR cables and see what happens, after all is not much money they are asking for.........

Holy Crap what a difference, and to think I have been missing this for months. I suggest to those of you who have a decent amp that accepts XLR's to give this a try, it completely tranformed the sound coming out of my 2 speakers. I'm so happy with the sound that I decided to connect the center channel directly as well and tried it on movies, I wasn't expecting a huge difference but "Holy Crap again", the difference is not subtle, is palpable and I'm sitting there listening to this in disbelieve and saying to myself, this can't be happening, where is this sound coming from? I have a new found respect for the Oppo unit now to be honest.

Gallo reference speakers 3.1
Gallo reference center
Bel Canto evo 4 gen II Amp (L&R)
Outlaw mono 2200 Amp (C)
Oppo 95
Monoprice XLR

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page