5Likes

post #6481 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you want to forgo all the DSP goodies in the Marantz, it is up to you.

Oh. I do like all those DSP goodies in the Marantz. Btw, I bought the XPA-5 after reading your review in the latest Stereophile!. Thanks for the review.

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I do the same thing quite often- Oppo>2ch amp>Sp.
I usually have my 5.1 MCA setup {SACD & hi-Rez CDs}- in pure direct. However, the direct amp setup is alot more sweeter for D2ch play back.
*AVR W/ external 2ch. amp for fronts.
db
Beta Tester #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

After using the Oppo with regular rca cables going through my Arcam receiver for months, I decided to connect it directly from the Oppo to my amp for my L&R channels music listening, and to be honest I noticed an improvement in sound but not dramatic one at that, then last week I was browsing the Monoprice website and I said to myself, why not buy a pair of XLR cables and see what happens, after all is not much money they are asking for.........

Holy Crap what a difference, and to think I have been missing this for months. I suggest to those of you who have a decent amp that accepts XLR's to give this a try, it completely tranformed the sound coming out of my 2 speakers. I'm so happy with the sound that I decided to connect the center channel directly as well and tried it on movies, I wasn't expecting a huge difference but "Holy Crap again", the difference is not subtle, is palpable and I'm sitting there listening to this in disbelieve and saying to myself, this can't be happening, where is this sound coming from? I have a new found respect for the Oppo unit now to be honest.

Gallo reference speakers 3.1
Gallo reference center
Bel Canto evo 4 gen II Amp (L&R)
Outlaw mono 2200 Amp (C)
Oppo 95
Monoprice XLR

post #6483 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think building a preamp just for the volume will be all I want. Oppo preamp to power amp. Although I might not need .5db volume changes. Although as of now I do like having the option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6484 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I think building a preamp just for the volume will be all I want. Oppo preamp to power amp. Although I might not need .5db volume changes. Although as of now I do like having the option.

I wonder if there's a chance that Oppo might fix the big volume changes that the player now has via software, That would be amazing.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #6485 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I wonder if there's a chance that Oppo might fix the big volume changes that the player now has via software, That would be amazing.

If they fix that then I would be able to just use the Oppo to poweramps and that would be amazing. Couldn't ask for anymore than that. A true dream player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6486 of 11236 Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

I just noticed that a corrupt Flac file (which plays about half-way through) causes a nasty hang of my 95. At first I thought it was a streaming issue (from foobar2000) so I played the same flac trac back via USB media and the same thing happened ... plays ~ half way through and then stops .. timer stuck. The only way to get any response from the 95 is to power-down. Flac ripped using dBpoweramp CD Ripper ... not sure if this is an isolated corrupt rip.

try to contact oppo service and provide them some samples. it has been reported that FF up to 2x on FLAC playback may cause an unnessary skip, which only happens on 0917 firmware, oppo has been aware of this and may has some solution by now.
post #6487 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you want to forgo all the DSP goodies in the Marantz, it is up to you.

He's also forgoing the ESS Saber DAC he paid $500 for.

Martin

SACD Library:  

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #6488 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After using the Oppo with regular rca cables going through my Arcam receiver for months, I decided to connect it directly from the Oppo to my amp for my L&R channels music listening, and to be honest I noticed an improvement in sound but not dramatic one at that, then last week I was browsing the Monoprice website and I said to myself, why not buy a pair of XLR cables and see what happens, after all is not much money they are asking for.........

Holy Crap what a difference, and to think I have been missing this for months. I suggest to those of you who have a decent amp that accepts XLR's to give this a try, it completely tranformed the sound coming out of my 2 speakers. I'm so happy with the sound that I decided to connect the center channel directly as well and tried it on movies, I wasn't expecting a huge difference but "Holy Crap again", the difference is not subtle, is palpable and I'm sitting there listening to this in disbelieve and saying to myself, this can't be happening, where is this sound coming from? I have a new found respect for the Oppo unit now to be honest.

Gallo reference center
Outlaw mono 2200 Amp (C)
Oppo 95
Monoprice XLR

I don't want to rain on your parade, but level matching is a factor when compairing.

Martin

SACD Library:  

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #6489 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Nope!
vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post

So, I got rid of the Pioneer Elite SC-37. Received the Marantz AV-7005 and Emotiva XPA-5 a couple days ago. Connected the BD-95 to the Marantz via HDMI and analog stereo. Connected the amp to the ML Vantage, Stage, and Montage. Depth-i is connected to the Av-7005.

I have read elsewhere on this thread where form members have tried going direct from the Oppo into the amp. Has anyone had any issues with that using the Emotiva?

Thanks.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #6490 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but level matching is a factor when compairing.

Yep!
Humans perceive LOUDER as better.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #6491 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanping09 View Post

try to contact oppo service and provide them some samples. it has been reported that FF up to 2x on FLAC playback may cause an unnessary skip, which only happens on 0917 firmware, oppo has been aware of this and may has some solution by now.

(re: corrupt flac hangs 95) as I mentioned in my response, I was sending the corrupt flac sample to OPPO. They responded (quickly as always indicating that they would:
"investigate the possibility of implementing a means to which the player can
gracefully stop playback and switch to the next available sound file when
such corruptions occur .."
post #6492 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Yep!
Humans perceive LOUDER as better.

notwithstanding any "loudness" compensation
post #6493 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

According to the description in this ER-P-24 adapter cable paragraph that cable is some sort of passive filter network with a ~ 12 dB attenuation at 1 kHz. So that is why the level is so low. Since the difference in sound is so subjective I can't comment on that. All the passive HP (headphone) adapter box designs and simple gain blocks I have mentioned here are flat response with no tone shaping.

Latest Headphone wiring - 95 XLR/Bryston BP20 XLR/BP20 tape out/neutron77's Passive HP box/ER4s, finally, I can take advantage of the higher XLR output from the 95 to get the loudness I wanted for the ER4s, which is less efficient but more revealing than ER4p. Compared to my Stax SRA-12S/SR-xMkIII as a reference, the sound stage is very different, but the sound is almost as clean.

Anyone has a high quality (XLR in) pre-amp with good quality cables and medium efficient HP (100db/1mW/100Ohm) should try this combo, before buying a HP amp up to $300, having said that, is anyone out there using a 95/Burson 160 HP amp/ER4s combo ? Are they a good match ? Thank you.
post #6494 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

No I am not. I use the analog outs for music and for concert Blu-rays and DVDs.

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
post #6495 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No parade being rained on, I am aware of that situation, quality has nothing to do with volume.

I'm being engaged to the music in a whole different way now at any volume.

How is your oppo connected?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #6496 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Yes, that is unfortunate but he should have made these deliberations before paying the $500.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #6497 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So your room's and system's acoustics are different for music than for movies?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6498 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

So your room's and system's acoustics are different for music than for movies?

Good point. For music I choose to forgo the processing on the Marantz in favor of the DACs on the Oppo because that is the main reason why I purchased the Oppo BD-95. It is a work in progress. I have added bass traps and will be adding acoustic panels. I know there is a lot of additional processing that the Marantz does that the Oppo simply cannot.

MagMo
post #6499 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Good point. For music I choose to forgo the processing on the Marantz in favor of the DACs on the Oppo because that is the main reason why I purchased the Oppo BD-95. It is a work in progress. I have added bass traps and will be adding acoustic panels. I know there is a lot of additional processing that the Marantz does that the Oppo simply cannot.

If you really want to appreciate what the DACs on the Oppo can do add the JPS labs AC-X powercord to the Oppo & a pair of Nirvana SL interconnects to the mix also. (Yeah, I know I paid almost as much for these two items as the Oppo,but I got the Nirvana ICs used from my friend John at UsedCables.com for just a bit more than half their list price) The combination of these cables has me going through all of my discs like I can't get to them fast enough. I'm really going to be broke once I start ordering new discs. The thing that is just blowing my mind is how good plain old "Redbook"CDs are sounding. Good labels mind you,but Redbook nevertheless!!
post #6500 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Gallo reference center
Outlaw mono 2200 Amp (C)
Oppo 95
Monoprice XLR

I connected my 95 directly to my Bryston 9b-st rather than my arcam avr300 and got a marked improvement as well, PSB stratus gold and c6i up front. I'm going to try the monoprice balanced cables too, just ordered tonight. If the monoprice dont cut it i can get a set made locally for about $150, my brother has a set and they sound great. Compared to the monprice rca they're more clear and detailed and don't have s lower midrange hump present in the monoprices.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #6501 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right. I think one needs to resolve the inner conflict between traditional audiophile values based on circuit simplicity and newer technology that seems to conflict with it. You should, of course, try it both ways (analog input vs. HDMI input with DSP) and see what floats your boat.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6502 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newStevea View Post

I have'nt noticed any EMI interference (I will admit to not being that well versed in EMI, but the only connections I have to the player are the powercord which is connected to my PS Audio P700 power plant/ac regenerator & balanced output interconnections to my tubed headphone amp/preamp which is also plugged into my P700 power plant. All other rca connectors on the player have remained covered.) The player is'nt really uncovered, as I mentioned I have piece of tinted glass that is covering the top of the player & I am running an Ionic Pro air de-ionizer in close proximity to the rack on which my player resides. I was'nt really that bothered by the "physical" noise I was more bothered by the "circuit noise" that was being introduced by the fan motor. Just like the Video portion of the player "I" don't really don't need it (except to access set-up menus, then the video connection is disconnected once again.)(My other Bluray player is my Bluray player). You can "attentuate" the noise of the fan all you want but that slight circuit "noise" will hinder getting the every bit of "micro" detail out of your music

I do agree that the fan running will generate circuit noise. However, most of the improvement you are hearing may be from removing the metal cover.

My NAD C542 sounds much better with the cover removed (and I have damped this cover). I have not tested any of my other components mainly because I do not want them to sound better with the cover off. I like the covers for looks and dust protection.

I can easily slide the CD player cover on and off which is what I do now. I am not ready to make wood covers for everything if it all sounds better without the covers, which is what I expect is the case.
post #6503 of 11236 Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No parade being rained on, I am aware of that situation, quality has nothing to do with volume.

I'm being engaged to the music in a whole different way now at any volume.

How is your oppo connected?

MCH analogue out with 2 Ch RCA as my FL/FR...to pre/pro MCH RCA in with analogue by-pass/analogue BM = 80 Hz (Outlaw 970) to Amp/Sub...all music/movies. Oppo set for all speakers large, no sub...sounds great to my old ears.

So how did you compensate for the different levels/short auditory memory to make such observations? Just skeptical...glad you are enjoying and that's what it's all about

Martin

SACD Library:  

post #6504 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My bad MOE, saw the HDMI, missed the analogue piece.

Martin

SACD Library:  

post #6505 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm planning on finally diving into an Oppo player soon. I've been using my PS3 as my primary Bluray player for a while now.
post #6506 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Gallo reference center
Outlaw mono 2200 Amp (C)
Oppo 95
Monoprice XLR

Unless you have long cable runs or a situation where there's lots of RF interference, I find this hard to accept, EXCEPT that the levels will be much hotter (+4 instead of -10) and perhaps you're interpreting the difference in level as a quality improvement. Switch back and forth between the RCAs and XLRs and adjust the levels to match and I think you'll find that there isn't a quality improvement. There's no technical reason why there should be unless you have really long cable runs. If there still is, then something strange is going on with the OPPO's signal paths.
post #6507 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post

Compared to the monprice rca they're more clear and detailed and don't have s lower midrange hump present in the monoprices.

Yeah, and my car engine runs smoother after I go to the car wash.
post #6508 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Liked: 42
I've purchased several monoprice cables and cheap isn't everything. The projector mount and speaker mounts I bought from them were junk.
post #6509 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM

Can anybody comment on this:

With a Blu Ray disc using HDMI-1, if I skip to the next chapter, there's a lack of sound for 3 seconds at the chapter start (video's O.K.).
Using HDMI-2 (Mediatek) there's no sound dropout using next.

The player is set to bitstream for HDMI and is talking to a Integra DHC-80.3
pre/pro.

Just for info, a BDP-83SE doesn't loose sound (Mediatek, too).

You can see the pre/pro's front display drop the codec name during the dropout.

Do you all live with this?
post #6510 of 11236 Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:

My bad MOE, saw the HDMI, missed the analogue piece.

Hey, not a problem.

MagMo
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page