Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 224 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6691 of 11147 Old 11-24-2011, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrande View Post

Today I decided to pull the trigger and purchase an Oppo BDP-95 for my Mitsubishi WD82840. I should get the unit early next week.
I needed a 3D player for my disks.

More to follow

Back in June, I got an 73738 to go with my Oppo 95 I just had to tap that Marvel video dac! (no pun). Pure reference
audiofan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6692 of 11147 Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Member
 
godinste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

I do mean Canada. sorry for the typo.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else selling it?

http://www.onlybestrated.com/oppo-bd...sc-player.html

Very good service, I made business three time with them.......
godinste is offline  
post #6693 of 11147 Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Member
 
jd_alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if this has already been covered, but this is a fairly large thread ....

Just got my Oppo 95 and am waiting for my new TV (Sharp Elite 70") - Has there been a general preference among owners for using the "source direct" setting or having the Oppo always output 1080p regardless of the disc/source resolution?

A couple of posters on the Elite TV forum have recommended having the Oppo always output 1080p, but I'm wondering if the TV itself might actually do a better job processing, say, a 480p signal from a DVD?

For the sake of completeness: I'm alo getting an Elite SC-57 AVR, but I'm not planning on having it do any video processing between the Oppo and the TV.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

JD
jd_alpha is offline  
post #6694 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,709
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

A couple of posters on the Elite TV forum have recommended having the Oppo always output 1080p, but I'm wondering if the TV itself might actually do a better job processing, say, a 480p signal from a DVD?

It's unlikely that any TV can best the OPPO's conversion, but you don't need outside opinion. It's easy to try it both ways yourself.
htwaits is offline  
post #6695 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Member
 
easysoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.....not new to AVS but new to the OPPO forum. Need some expert "opinion". Have settled on either the 93 or 95. I will be running it through the Intergra 50.3. Since that AV can and does do most of the audiophile work for me, would the 93 be all I needed as a sound "platform"?
Hope the question makes sense and I appreciate input.
easysoul is offline  
post #6696 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

Hello.....not new to AVS but new to the OPPO forum. Need some expert "opinion". Have settled on either the 93 or 95. I will be running it through the Intergra 50.3. Since that AV can and does do most of the audiophile work for me, would the 93 be all I needed as a sound "platform"?
Hope the question makes sense and I appreciate input.

If you are using the HDMI connection, as you should, there will be no difference.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #6697 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

Hello.....not new to AVS but new to the OPPO forum. Need some expert "opinion". Have settled on either the 93 or 95. I will be running it through the Intergra 50.3. Since that AV can and does do most of the audiophile work for me, would the 93 be all I needed as a sound "platform"?
Hope the question makes sense and I appreciate input.

Pick the 95 only if you intend to use its analog audio outputs as your primary audio connection. If you intend to use HDMI (as I do), save the money and get the 93.

Typically folks who get the 95 have invested significant bucks in setting up a really nice analog audio amp path and don't want ANY digital audio processing in their audio path.

There's a hybrid case of folks who have a really nifty stereo analog audio path, but want to use HDMI for multi-channel (e.g., movie) audio. For those folks the 95 is also the right choice due to its higher end analog output stage for their stereo content.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6698 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

Hello.....not new to AVS but new to the OPPO forum. Need some expert "opinion". Have settled on either the 93 or 95. I will be running it through the Intergra 50.3. Since that AV can and does do most of the audiophile work for me, would the 93 be all I needed as a sound "platform"?
Hope the question makes sense and I appreciate input.

Coded formats from Dolby or DTS will sound very similar.
However, CD and LPCM sources do sound very different over HDMI, COAX, and Optical and the Analog outputs versus my Onkyo 5507 with my Oppo BDP-95.

The 95 is fuller with better bass, instrument detail. I do not have your model but I can say that this is not a black and white situation.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #6699 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Member
 
klamia71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anybody know about the following issue : . Does Qdeo processes signals 1080p/24/50/60... ( from any source) or a 1080p/24 passes through qdeo ? i mean for 1080p/24 signals do i receive an upgrade quality picture or that picture quality upgrade is only for dvd,s and 50/60Hz signal,s?
klamia71 is offline  
post #6700 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,933
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamia71 View Post

does anybody know about the following issue : . Does Qdeo processes signals 1080p/24/50/60... ( from any source) or a 1080p/24 passes through qdeo ? i mean for 1080p/24 signals do i receive an upgrade quality picture or that picture quality upgrade is only for dvd,s and 50/60Hz signal,s?

You can try it with and without QDEO processing. Source Direct skips the video processor, and HDMI2 doesn't use it at all.

The FAQ and OPPO wiki list the QDEO functions that are used. With the settings at zero there will be very little difference with and without the processor. Blu-ray native video doesn't require much processing and cannot be much improved by player processing.

-Bill
wmcclain is offline  
post #6701 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Member
 
klamia71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can try it with and without QDEO processing. Source Direct skips the video processor, and HDMI2 doesn't use it at all.

The FAQ and OPPO wiki list the QDEO functions that are used. With the settings at zero there will be very little difference with and without the processor. Blu-ray native video doesn't require much processing and cannot be much improved by player processing.

-Bill

for a 1080p/24 mkv movie- for example -does qdeo improves the picture quality ? or it is not noticeable that improvement?
klamia71 is offline  
post #6702 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
avman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamia71 View Post

for a 1080p/24 mkv movie- for example -does qdeo improves the picture quality ? or it is not noticeable that improvement?

I saw no improvement but you may. Why not just try it?
avman09 is offline  
post #6703 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
hawkster27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you are using the HDMI connection, as you should, there will be no difference.

Mr Rubinson, can you elaborate? My head unit is an Onkyo PR-SC5508, and I was leaning towards the BDP-95 to replace my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player (and LG BD390). The 7555 works fine, but I am interested in improving Redbook performance. You seem to be suggesting that the BDP-93 feeding HDMI to the 5508 (similar, I believe to the Integra 50.3 in capability) would be the equal of the BDP-95 feeding analog to the 5508.
hawkster27 is offline  
post #6704 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
ManWithAPlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Sorry if this has already been covered, but this is a fairly large thread ....

Just got my Oppo 95 and am waiting for my new TV (Sharp Elite 70") - Has there been a general preference among owners for using the "source direct" setting or having the Oppo always output 1080p regardless of the disc/source resolution?

A couple of posters on the Elite TV forum have recommended having the Oppo always output 1080p, but I'm wondering if the TV itself might actually do a better job processing, say, a 480p signal from a DVD?

For the sake of completeness: I'm alo getting an Elite SC-57 AVR, but I'm not planning on having it do any video processing between the Oppo and the TV.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

JD

JD,

I have both units you mention (the Oppo 95 and the new Elite 70inch TV). Thanks to recommendations by Bob and my personal experience testing with each, I have opted to go HDMI1 output direct to the Elite and HDMI2 output direct to my AVR which happens to be an Anthem D2V. The video settings on the Oppo are such that it scales everything to 1080p and outputs that directly to the Elite. The HDMI2, though it includes a video signal (just not thru the Qdeo chip), is not being used for video in real terms, as I only need the Audio from it through my AVR. There are several reasons to do it this way, not the least of which is the fact that my Anthem D2V processor cannot pass through a 3D image, and of course I'm wanting to do 3D often now because of the Elite's prowess with 3D. So, the Oppo is a saviour because it has the 2 HDMI outs - just be sure to use HDMI1 for the connection to the TV, as it benefits from the Qdeo processor (which will help more for DVD's and other SD files, etc.). So in other words, in closing, I do NOT use Source Direct on the Oppo, I use its scaler to output 1080p in all cases. I tried other scenarios, and found this to be the best - of course, YMMV, and all that.

Hope this helps,
-Brian
ManWithAPlan is offline  
post #6705 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Member
 
digdug111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

Mr Rubinson, can you elaborate? My head unit is an Onkyo PR-SC5508, and I was leaning towards the BDP-95 to replace my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player (and LG BD390). The 7555 works fine, but I am interested in improving Redbook performance. You seem to be suggesting that the BDP-93 feeding HDMI to the 5508 (similar, I believe to the Integra 50.3 in capability) would be the equal of the BDP-95 feeding analog to the 5508.

When using an HDMI connection, the receiver/prepro decodes the digital signal, not the BDP-93/95. Either should sound the same through the HDMI connector.

Now with analog connections they do sound different. I have both a BDP-83SE and a BDP-95 and they definitely sound different from their analog ports. HDMI, no difference.
digdug111 is offline  
post #6706 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

Mr Rubinson, can you elaborate? My head unit is an Onkyo PR-SC5508, and I was leaning towards the BDP-95 to replace my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player (and LG BD390). The 7555 works fine, but I am interested in improving Redbook performance. You seem to be suggesting that the BDP-93 feeding HDMI to the 5508 (similar, I believe to the Integra 50.3 in capability) would be the equal of the BDP-95 feeding analog to the 5508.

The 5508 is the equivalent of the 80.2 which I use and, imho, the small difference between running the analog output of the 95 directly through the prepro as analog and running it via HDMI is more than swamped by the difference between using Audyssey XT and not using it. That assumes that your room (like mine) is not nearly a perfect acoustical environment. Those issues apply regardless of the number of channels in the source.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #6707 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Operon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Demand DisplayPort. Kill HDMI!
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Notwithstanding that my BDP-83 SE (upgrade) has its disc door stuck open and will be shipped back to be repaired ASAP, does anyone here know of any new OPPO products in the pipeline?

□ - Yes


□ - Yes, but I cannot say


□ - Yes, but I will not say


□ - No


□ - I don't know
Operon is offline  
post #6708 of 11147 Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,709
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Notwithstanding that my BDP-83 SE (upgrade) has its disc door stuck open and will be shipped back to be repaired ASAP, does anyone here know of any new OPPO products in the pipeline?

□ - Yes


□ - Yes, but I cannot say


□ - Yes, but I will not say


□ - No


□ - I don't know

Cute, but no one who might know is going to fall for your multiple choice questions.

There's no external reason (history, market, etc.) to indicate that something new is eminent.
htwaits is offline  
post #6709 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The 5508 is the equivalent of the 80.2 which I use and, imho, the small difference between running the analog output of the 95 directly through the prepro as analog and running it via HDMI is more than swamped by the difference between using Audyssey XT and not using it. That assumes that your room (like mine) is not nearly a perfect acoustical environment. Those issues apply regardless of the number of channels in the source.

I think what RichB has discovered is that his particular Onkyo is not handling HDMI LPCM input as well as it might, and thus analog input is giving him better results in cases where he'd otherwise be forced to use LPCM over HDMI -- i.e., for CD playback or for movies that only have a raw LPCM track. There's apparently no such problem when he can send an HDMI Bitstream.

Of course there are ways that AVRs can screw up LPCM input. Never underestimate the cleverness of engineers! For example, failure to buffer and reclock that LPCM input properly so that jitter gets out of hand.

That sort of problem SHOULD be unusual, but I've no doubt there are some AVRs out there that fail that way.

This is an important distinction: All the advice we might give here has to be based on the presumption that there aren't design flaws or bugs/failures in your other hardware. If your AVR has its own peculiar problems, then you'll need to ferret out what works best as workarounds. The owner's thread for your AVR or whatever is probably the best source of info. The 95 can be a win in such cases as it offers a top notch analog output path as an alternative -- a possible workaround.

And that search for workarounds may lead to compromises -- such as continuing to use a KNOWN less than perfect LPCM implementation ANYWAY, because that lets you continue to use Audyssey -- which fixes even more serious problems in your room response.

Then add purchase of a "less broken" AVR to your wish list!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6710 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Notwithstanding that my BDP-83 SE (upgrade) has its disc door stuck open and will be shipped back to be repaired ASAP, does anyone here know of any new OPPO products in the pipeline?

□ - Yes


□ - Yes, but I cannot say


□ - Yes, but I will not say


□ - No


□ - I don't know

How 'bout: I don't know, but I can not say?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6711 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
neutron77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Cute, but no one who might know is going to fall for your multiple choice questions.

There's no external reason (history, market, etc.) to indicate that something new is eminent.

I asked OPPO about this 2 months ago (which granted is a long time ) and they basically said the same thing ... no new platform design in the mill.
neutron77 is offline  
post #6712 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
hikinokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 95 did a automatic update last night. Anyone notice this? Are we supposed to do the reset factory defaults etc.?
hikinokie is offline  
post #6713 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

My 95 did a automatic update last night. Anyone notice this? Are we supposed to do the reset factory defaults etc.?

The latest firmware for the 95 has been out for a while. Did you just connect your player to the Internet?

In theory you do not have to Reset after a firmware update. In practice, some problems in the past have turned out to be easily fixable by erasing Persistent Storage, doing a Reset to Factory Defaults, power cycling the player including pulling the power cord for about 10 seconds while the player is off, and then reentering your personal Settings (and power down once more to save them).

I reenter settings so often while testing that it takes me no time now, so I just do that as a matter of course after each install. But odds are things will work just fine for you even if you don't bother.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6714 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
hikinokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The latest firmware for the 95 has been out for a while. Did you just connect your player to the Internet?

In theory you do not have to Reset after a firmware update. In practice, some problems in the past have turned out to be easily fixable by erasing Persistent Storage, doing a Reset to Factory Defaults, power cycling the player including pulling the power cord for about 10 seconds while the player is off, and then reentering your personal Settings (and power down once more to save them).

I reenter settings so often while testing that it takes me no time now, so I just do that as a matter of course after each install. But odds are things will work just fine for you even if you don't bother.
--Bob

It's been online via wireless for a couple of weeks now. Strange.
hikinokie is offline  
post #6715 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

This is an important distinction: All the advice we might give here has to be based on the presumption that there aren't design flaws or bugs/failures in your other hardware. If your AVR has its own peculiar problems, then you'll need to ferret out what works best as workarounds. The owner's thread for your AVR or whatever is probably the best source of info. The 95 can be a win in such cases as it offers a top notch analog output path as an alternative -- a possible workaround.

And that search for workarounds may lead to compromises -- such as continuing to use a KNOWN less than perfect LPCM implementation ANYWAY, because that lets you continue to use Audyssey -- which fixes even more serious problems in your room response.

Then add purchase of a "less broken" AVR to your wish list!
--Bob

Agreed.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #6716 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post


It's been online via wireless for a couple of weeks now. Strange.

Rarely, it is possible for the player to have a problem figuring out the version of one of the firmware pieces during power up. This will cause the same thing to be downloaded and installed again. This causes no issues, so not to worry.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6717 of 11147 Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Member
 
jd_alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Brian - the consensus does seem to be to output everything from the Oppo at 1080p.

-JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

JD,

I have both units you mention (the Oppo 95 and the new Elite 70inch TV). Thanks to recommendations by Bob and my personal experience testing with each, I have opted to go HDMI1 output direct to the Elite and HDMI2 output direct to my AVR which happens to be an Anthem D2V. The video settings on the Oppo are such that it scales everything to 1080p and outputs that directly to the Elite. The HDMI2, though it includes a video signal (just not thru the Qdeo chip), is not being used for video in real terms, as I only need the Audio from it through my AVR. There are several reasons to do it this way, not the least of which is the fact that my Anthem D2V processor cannot pass through a 3D image, and of course I'm wanting to do 3D often now because of the Elite's prowess with 3D. So, the Oppo is a saviour because it has the 2 HDMI outs - just be sure to use HDMI1 for the connection to the TV, as it benefits from the Qdeo processor (which will help more for DVD's and other SD files, etc.). So in other words, in closing, I do NOT use Source Direct on the Oppo, I use its scaler to output 1080p in all cases. I tried other scenarios, and found this to be the best - of course, YMMV, and all that.

Hope this helps,
-Brian

jd_alpha is offline  
post #6718 of 11147 Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundofMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

Mr Rubinson, can you elaborate? My head unit is an Onkyo PR-SC5508, and I was leaning towards the BDP-95 to replace my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player (and LG BD390). The 7555 works fine, but I am interested in improving Redbook performance. You seem to be suggesting that the BDP-93 feeding HDMI to the 5508 (similar, I believe to the Integra 50.3 in capability) would be the equal of the BDP-95 feeding analog to the 5508.

Not Kal, but I really respect his opinion and advice which is spot-on. I will add a brief report of my hard-won experience, including my latest ventures with some new technologies. I will first state that this is YMMV and that I've loved my Oppo players. By way of background, I have a "normal" (i.e. not formally treated acoustically) family rm HT with good speakers. I now have the BDP83SE which has exc stereo DACs much like the 95. I have done many comparisons with various Oppos (83, 83SE, 93) sending both analog and digital and using using AVRs as well as HT bypass analog preamps (see this old thread if interested). I have looked far and wide to improve Redbook CD SQ. Bottom line for me is that better DACs in the player is not the best solution by a long shot. IME the most bang for the buck is to have exc room correction DSP. The best currently is the new Audyssey MultEQXT32. This technology was just awarded "Accessory of the Year 2011" by Stereophile Mag. (Cool, Kal)

Now if you decide to upgrade your processor to take advantage of this latest, break-through technology, I suggest you strongly consider a Denon AVR 4311. It is a true HT value at about $1.5K street from authorized etailers and is a particularly good choice for the following 2 reasons.

One, you can then further improve RBCD SQ by getting a DenonLink3-equipped Denon player (as low as $600 used on Agon) to connect to it. I was skeptical that jitter-reduction would work but it does for me (see this DenonLinkthread if interested). IMO you don't need Denon's latest DL4 as it really does not improbve BluRay vs bitstreaming over HDMI so you could get the Oppo 93 for your BluRay player.

Two, for further enhancement of overall SQ including RBCD SQ, you could then get an Audyssey-Pro kit (about $700 with license)to refine and customize the Audysssey calibration in your Pro-ready 4311 (see this thread if interested).

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

SoundofMind is offline  
post #6719 of 11147 Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Clevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

Has anyone know what to expect from OPPO in 2012?

I have enjoyed every product they have released. The packaging is still the best in the industry like opening a christmas gift. Very consistant quality. I do feel the last product BDP-95 was rushed. (remote signal drop-out, 3D hicups, and other problems later fixed with firmware. Lots of feedback on forum attempting to help re engineer the product that was already great. OPPO will monitor forum feedback I'm sure to fine tune existing and future products. Can't wait for next product! What might it be?

I'm glad the BDP-95 was rushed as it was! It had to be: it needed to beat the gubbermint deadline which prohibits up to 1080i throughput of the component outs (which was Jan. 2011 I think). One thing is for sure on the next Oppo, you won't get 720-1080i via component output. Hell, you might not even get any component outs (which I sorta doubt for Oppo).
Clevor is offline  
post #6720 of 11147 Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I think they could make a killer AVR, or at least a pre pro. They should think big, they obviously have a great group of very dedicated smart people and a brand that is gold. If Emotiva can take a mighty swing-and-a-miss at a pre pro, with Oppo's track record they can do better.
runnin' is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Oppo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off